FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Blizzard Co-Lead Mike Ybarra Has a LFR Experience

60599-blizzard-co-leader-mike-ybarra-on-

We know Blizzard co-lead Mike Ybarra plays the game at a high Mythic+ level, and also sometimes savagely and hilariously slams some top players, but today he was spotted in some pretty different circumstances. Another Qwik-sighting has appeared, as a player was recently in a LFR Sanctum of Domination and ran into none other than Ybarra, who then proceeded to have a pretty bad/standard LFR time but stuck it out until the end! Ybarra even popped-in the reddit thread and had a chat with a few players.

As Msxar explains, they spotted a certain Onyxian Warrior in their recent Sanctum LFR, and kept an eye out after calling him out in the raid chat:

Msxar goes on to detail a fairly standard LFR experience, as Ybarra dominated the DPS charts (which makes sense considering the 248 item level) but also stayed to the end, despite the fairly bad time had by all - and Ybarra even responded in the reddit thread!

Msxar:
He stayed in the group wipe after wipe until we beat kt. What a champ

[On his DPS]
He was wrecking us all haha

[On it being a PR stunt]
I don't agree. He kept quiet till I said something then didn't say a weird after that....
TheRealQwik (Mike Ybarra)
Celebrity? Nah. Fellow gamer….yes.

[On this week's M+ affixes and him not having done any runs]
I have done 1. But only 1 so far!!
I know you say you don't have much to do with the changes coming in on the in game side of things but regardless I want you to know I, along with many others I'm sure, really appreciate your communication and presence around the community. thanks brother - writhingmadness
Fucking hell, the fact that there is someone here to actually respond gives hope.. - z3bru
My opinion of Blizzard is going up, just purely because of you. Good luck on the restoration process. Hopefully you can cast mass resurrection. - EldaDarka

And Ybarra also solved the ongoing mystery on why exactly he was even doing LFR in the first place, and it's a pretty encouraging one:

I do LFR to see how it is for players and to meet people. I’ll do 10 keys today. I’ll stream it on Twitch. Easy! ? - TheRealQwik

So, another cool random in-game sighting, this time in a very different situation. Personally and from what I've heard Ybarra seems pretty genuine in his love of WoW, but what do you think? Do things like this give you more hope for the game, or do you see it all as a mini-PR stunt?

The Qwik chronicles:

I think its killer. Reminds me of GhostCrawler back in the day. 

How can you lead a service company, (yes service company, they provide a gaming experience.. ie a service), without experiencing it regularly to see how the experience feels. Give the guy props for not just doing high end content, but getting down with the LFR crowd too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think it can be good if its real, but at the end of the day its the devs who need to play, though the co lead is a nice bonus. There's a blog detailing how Xelnath (dude who did most of warlock revmap in Panda) went about it to make sure people had a blast playing the class. That's the kind of passion, game sense, and attention to feedback you need to make a phenomenal game. 

The co lead alone can't do it. The company needs to be open for training its devs and set fun as its goal, not "engagement metrics" which is just time spent doing grinds you don't enjoy. 

I don't wanna make a rant about it and the guy seems cool so I'll keep it short, but as one random example, why is torghast still the only way to get soul ash? Why do we have to do it? I feel the old blizz would have been pretty quick in understanding its just not neccessary to force people who dont like it into doing it. But current one seems fixated. It just feels like instead of player fun, someone's ego or enagement metrics are getting in the way. They need to decide they don't want this mindset anymore. 

Edited by Mishmish

I don't think those two have to be exclusive.
I'm sure there's a reason why he mingles with players (to build a positive relation)
but that doesn't mean that he doesn't genuinely love the game.

• Like 1

He's not in charge of the game. If people are thinking that talking to him will have direct effects, they are setting themselves up for disappointment. It might turn into one of those cases, where people start blaming wrong person for every bad design choice etc., just because he is one of the faces of the company.

Edited by Arcling
  • Like 1

Uncommon Patron
3 hours ago, Arcling said:

He's not in charge of the game. If people are thinking that talking to him will have direct effects, they are setting themselves up for disappointment. It might turn into one of those cases, where people start blaming wrong person for every bad design choice etc., just because he is one of the faces of the company.

No but having someone that high and with influence actually play and interact with their customers even from a pr stand point is huge. He may not make changes or such but being a public face and actually being with the public helps. I won't blame him, and everyone one wants things their way. You can't get everything you want but at least he is experiencing the content that is being vmcreated instead of just seeing it and seeing metrics and Financials.

3 hours ago, Langoroth said:

No but having someone that high and with influence actually play and interact with their customers even from a pr stand point is huge. He may not make changes or such but being a public face and actually being with the public helps. I won't blame him, and everyone one wants things their way. You can't get everything you want but at least he is experiencing the content that is being vmcreated instead of just seeing it and seeing metrics and Financials.

It's good for PR, not denying it. Just pointing out how people usually like to find someone to blame, and it's often one of the faces of the company, regardless of their actual duties. Besides, we don't know how much power those co-leaders actually have, how decisions are being made, as there are two of them etc. Before there was CEO, then president and now there are only co-leaders.

Edited by Arcling

PR or not , making the wow decisions or not, he seems like someone who can guide the teams based on gameplay,even on his streams he seems like a great guy (copium for me maybe).

Only time will tell if he is different than the rest 

They need to raise the i lvl of gear in lfr, or put a bad *filtered* trinket out there for hi ilvl people to grind for, lets face it if u survive lfr you deserve more than the shitty ilvl gear u get ha hahaahah

• Haha 1