FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Upgrade Gear to Item Level 233 on Live Servers!

OMMGVg5.png

This week's Renown cap is 76, meaning you can upgrade Korthia gear to item level 233 on live servers.

At Renown 75, you can buy Research Report: First Alloys Research Report: First Alloys from the Archivists' Codex quartermaster. The item allows you to upgrade your items from Korthia and the Maw to Rank 6, which corresponds to item level 233.

Research Report: First Alloys Research Report: First Alloys costs 8,000 Cataloged Research. You can find Roh-Suir in Keeper's Respite (Korthia).

Yeah this timing is kinda weird.

You have to have done zero mythic plus and zero heroic raiding to not already be past 233.

Edited by Prophet001
  • Like 2

It is weird to me that no one seems to have consolidated a renown/ilvl chart. Since world quest rewards are also scaled down by the character's ilvl, it can be pretty hard to figure out.

Their out of raid gearing system aside from M+ always seems like an afterthought, way too low ilevel.   I understand raid/M+/high end pvp gear is supposed to be the best, but the gulf and delay is just wildly inappropriate as I see it.

1 hour ago, ResoWho said:

couple of month too late. my twink and the twinks of my mates are around ilvl 245-250. 

Are you using the word "Twink" correctly? If you're 245-250 ilvl, you're not a Twink, you're an up to date main or alt.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Razortotem said:

Are you using the word "Twink" correctly? If you're 245-250 ilvl, you're not a Twink, you're an up to date main or alt.

Was thinking something similar, since "twink" can have a VERY different meaning in multi lingual room's. 😄 

7 hours ago, Razortotem said:

ever since i started playing wow (with the release 2004) everyone i played with used the term "Twink" for a character which isnt your main character. when it started with realm overlapping actions for the very first time i heared "toon", "alt" or "smurf" instead of "Twink" but i rarely hear that. maybe thats just a thing in germany.

with my twink i havent dont much torghast, tbh just enough to get 1x 262 ilvl item, i didnt grind any reputation nor did i do nearly as much m+ as i did with my main and didnt have an domination sokets or shards on him and normally my twinks lacks behind in ilvl but with this weeks vault even got a higher ilvl then my main, thats cause due to many factors like blizzard releases content way slower and i have to use the goddamn pvp trinket every addon on my main while i dislike pvp.

the definition from german wikipedia translated in english:

Twink - other characters next to the main character are called "Twinks". A Twink mostly is played parallely to the main character and often gets gold or items from the main character, which helps them a lot especially in low level areas were they are superior to main characters on the same level. if you are playing a Twink its called "twinken". This is a special kind of "Alts"

the definition for "Alt"

Alt - short for alternate character which means "alternativer Charakter" (just the german translation), its a character you are playing next to your main character. Its also called "Twink" or "Smurf".

those definition arent 100% my definitions but overall i can agree with this.

Edited by ResoWho

Uncommon Patron

This catch up system sucks. The crafted gear goes to 200 which is fine to start for an alt, before your rep grind is over to use 233 you're already well past that gear

5 hours ago, ResoWho said:

ever since i started playing wow (with the release 2004) everyone i played with used the term "Twink" for a character which isnt your main character. when it started with realm overlapping actions for the very first time i heared "toon", "alt" or "smurf" instead of "Twink" but i rarely hear that. maybe thats just a thing in germany.

with my twink i havent dont much torghast, tbh just enough to get 1x 262 ilvl item, i didnt grind any reputation nor did i do nearly as much m+ as i did with my main and didnt have an domination sokets or shards on him and normally my twinks lacks behind in ilvl but with this weeks vault even got a higher ilvl then my main, thats cause due to many factors like blizzard releases content way slower and i have to use the goddamn pvp trinket every addon on my main while i dislike pvp.

Twink - other characters next to the main character are called "Twinks". A Twink mostly is played parallely to the main character and often gets gold or items from the main character, which helps them a lot especially in low level areas were they are superior to main characters on the same level. if you are playing a Twink its called "twinken". This is a special kind of "Alts"

the definition for "Alt"

Alt - short for alternate character which means "alternativer Charakter" (just the german translation), its a character you are playing next to your main character. Its also called "Twink" or "Smurf".

Fair enough lol sorry to have you spell it all out, cultural differences are interesting.

Ive only heard of two definitions of a Twink. 

1) an alt that is max power by some degree but deliberately held back from max level. So like a level 30 "Twink" for the purpose of pvping in the level 30's bracket. It entails being funneled a lot of gear and farming specific pieces for those power spike conditions imposed.

2) interestingly it's an insensitive slang

Edited by Razortotem
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ResoWho said:

the definition for "Alt"

Twink in WoW typically means an XP locked character that has maxed out gear for the sake of easy PVE or PVP but mostly for PVP reasons.

Like locking a char at level 29 and getting every BiS item you can in that level bracket then rekking noobs in the 20-29 BG bracket is what is normally called a Twink in WoW.

Twink outside of WoW...

...well, we won't talk about that.

Edited by Prophet001
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Prophet001 said:

Twink in WoW typically means an XP locked character that has maxed out gear for the sake of easy PVE or PVP but mostly for PVP reasons.

Like locking a char at level 29 and getting every BiS item you can in that level bracket then rekking noobs in the 20-29 BG bracket is what is normally called a Twink in WoW.

Twink outside of WoW...

...well, we won't talk about that.

thats probably true for your region and maybe partly for mine aswell but wikipedia nearly got the same definition i had all those years and yesterday i asked in teamspeak how the others call their characters which arent their main character and everyone replied "Twink" and one said "Twink or Alt". in every guild ive ever been since 2004 everyone called their other chars "twinks" some guilds even had the rank "Twink" for every character which isnt your main^^

due to my research yesterday i also know what it means outside of wow ^^

2 hours ago, ResoWho said:

thats probably true for your region and maybe partly for mine aswell but wikipedia nearly got the same definition i had all those years and yesterday i asked in teamspeak how the others call their characters which arent their main character and everyone replied "Twink" and one said "Twink or Alt". in every guild ive ever been since 2004 everyone called their other chars "twinks" some guilds even had the rank "Twink" for every character which isnt your main^^

due to my research yesterday i also know what it means outside of wow ^^

Alt = Alternative character to your main

Twink = Low lvl character with maxed out gear. The idea of a twink is to pick a pvp bracket i.e 29 and never go beyond it. You use your main to funnel gold and gear to the twink. Twinks are basicly god like vs normal characters of the same level. My old lvl 29 twink hunter could easily beat normal lvl 50 characters in duels. (Prior to the level squish of shadowlands)

As time goes by accepted meanings change as new generations adopt terms they hear others use but dont really understand. Like ganking used to mean killing or being killed by a higher level character where you have zero chance of retaliating. Or possibly spawn camping and killing people as they re-spawn. Nowadays i hear people using the term ganking or ganked to mean any type of kill.

1 hour ago, Nicenoob said:

Alt = Alternative character to your main

Twink = Low lvl character with maxed out gear. The idea of a twink is to pick a pvp bracket i.e 29 and never go beyond it. You use your main to funnel gold and gear to the twink. Twinks are basicly god like vs normal characters of the same level. My old lvl 29 twink hunter could easily beat normal lvl 50 characters in duels. (Prior to the level squish of shadowlands)

As time goes by accepted meanings change as new generations adopt terms they hear others use but dont really understand. Like ganking used to mean killing or being killed by a higher level character where you have zero chance of retaliating. Or possibly spawn camping and killing people as they re-spawn. Nowadays i hear people using the term ganking or ganked to mean any type of kill.

when i started online gaming with ultima online (what a great game, id like to fully loot my enemies, not like that boring pvp we get nowadays) we always said "smurf" but in wow it was from the launch day onwards that alts always had been called twinks here. even websites with gaming related articles write/wrote about "Twinks" as alts since the very beginning and as i mentioned before its also defined like that on german wikipedia. before i started with wow i also never heared the term "Twink".

but thats for sure a regional thing. if i remember correctly the first people i saw talking about "toons" (which ive never heared before) had been from england maybe thats a thing there.

Edited by ResoWho

7 hours ago, ResoWho said:

when i started online gaming with ultima online (what a great game, id like to fully loot my enemies, not like that boring pvp we get nowadays) we always said "smurf" but in wow it was from the launch day onwards that alts always had been called twinks here. even websites with gaming related articles write/wrote about "Twinks" as alts since the very beginning and as i mentioned before its also defined like that on german wikipedia.

Where to start ? The 1st sentence about ultima, fully looting enemies and smurfs ... I think germans are ... different from the rest of us.

7 hours ago, ResoWho said:

in wow it was from the launch day onwards that alts always had been called twinks here

Honestly, no one was making alts or twinks from launch day as it took several months to become a thing.

Alts are different from twinks end of story. The terms mean different things. If you use the words alts and twinks to mean the same thing then why have two different words ?

What name do Germans use for level 19, 29, 39, 49, 59 pvp characters with maxed out bis gear ?

4 hours ago, Nicenoob said:

Where to start ? The 1st sentence about ultima, fully looting enemies and smurfs ... I think germans are ... different from the rest of us.

the first sentence about ultima online  and the one with "from launch day onwards" should just show off that im not 18 and just started playing wow because you assumed "As time goes by accepted meanings change as new generations adopt terms.." and sorry that i added a personal note into that. fully looting enemies doesnt necessarily mean fully looting smurfs since you had a young status with that you couldnt get attacked by other players or attack them. or was the term "smurf" confusing ? that term originally didnt came from the german ultima online players, we just adapted that back then as a word for a 2nd character or account.

Alts are different from twinks end of story.

its not like you got plenty words in (different) languages which mean different things while its the same word. going by your logic twink is a word defined by the gay community first, to say that in your words "low level pvp characters are different from twinks end of story". i believe you and everyone else if you tell me that the original definition for twink was/is something like "Low lvl character with maxed out gear" in your country. im just saying that its used differently in my country from the very beginning. 

If you use the words alts and twinks to mean the same thing then why have two different words ?

why do you write in english and not in chinese or russian? so that others can understand you. best example is this discussion. in my country, first the word twink was there and when realm overlaping activities got more and more popular you adapt english words and shortcuts to your gaming slang for a better communication. sometimes it happens, that you write down a word in your language or with another meaning in your language because you are used to it, thats why i wrote twink instead of alt in my first comment.

What name do Germans use for level 19, 29, 39, 49, 59 pvp characters with maxed out bis gear ?

every character beside your main character is called twink here so its just "pvp twink" or if you get more specific "lvl 19 pvp twink"

Edited by ResoWho

On 10/7/2021 at 12:12 AM, ResoWho said:

the definition for "Alt"

Twink is not that. Twink is a character you locked to be low lvl, and max geared.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Znifler said:

Twink is not that. Twink is a character you locked to be low lvl, and max geared.

aha. can we end this now? 

2 hours ago, Znifler said:

Then don't start it.

ive explained myself and clarified that this term is used in another way in my country. if you had read the other replies you would have known that. you actually started it again cause you didnt read.

Edited by ResoWho

6 hours ago, ResoWho said:

ive explained myself and clarified that this term is used in another way in my country. if you had read the other replies you would have known that. you actually started it again cause you didnt read.

I did read them all.

Edited by Znifler
  • Haha 1