Renown: A Guide to the Covenant Reputation System in Shadowlands
You will start collecting Renown after choosing a Covenant at maximum level to unlock various rewards with increasing levels, including cosmetics, mounts, pets, Soulbind rows, and more.
A weekly Renown cap limits you from earning it indefinitely, and there is a catch-up mechanic in place that helps you earn it on alts should you fall behind.
Renown Changes in Patch 9.1
Patch 9.1 introduced the following Renown changes:
- Players will be able to earn 40 new levels. Thus, the maximum Renown cap is now 80.
- Rapid Renown Catch-Up added. Players who find themselves behind in Renown will now have an increased chance to receive Renown as a reward from all relevant activities.
- New notable Renown rewards include flying and Covenant mounts at Renown 44, new Runecarving Powers at Renown 48, Covenant Sets at Renown 60, Enhanced Conduits, more Soulbinding rows, cosmetics, and titles at Renown 80.
- Increasing Renown recharges 1 Conduit Energy.
Renown increases the amount of trust your character has earned within your chosen Covenant.
The main goal is to advance and reach Renown Level 80 to unlock all rewards that come with the system. Increasing your Renown enables:
- Unlocking a new row of Soulbind Powers for your Soulbinds.
- Increasing the item level of rewards from World Quests, and PvP upgrades.
- Increasing the potential level of features of your Sanctum.
- Earning Legendary recipes from the Runecarver in Torghast.
- Earning Covenant-themed cosmetics, such as battle pets, mounts, titles, back attachment transmogs, weapon illusions, and cosmetic armors sets.
- Unlocking flying in Shadowlands.
- Unlocking Enhanced Conduits.
In Patch 9.1, granted that you are not behind the current Renown cap, you can increase your Renown by completing the Chains of Domination story chapters, returning Anima to the Sanctum, and completing the weekly Shaping Fate quest in Korthia.
Covenant Campaign Chapters
You will gain access to a new Covenant Campaign chapter at Renown 5, 8, 11, 13, 17, 20, 22, 44, 47, 50, 52, 56, and 58. You can pick the quests up at your Covenant Sanctum when they become available. Completing each chapter in Patch 9.1 increases your Renown by 2.
Two weekly quests can be completed each week to increase your Renown.
The first weekly quest is called Replenish the Reservoir. It requires you to collect 1,000 Anima for the Anima Reservoir in your Covenant Sanctum. Anima can be acquired from various sources, like World Quests, rares, and dungeon quests.
The fastest way to do that is by completing dungeon quests. They reward up to 750 Anima.
The second weekly quest is called Shaping Fate and can be picked up in Korthia. To complete it, you must complete various objectives relevant to the 9.1 update, which means you must kill the new world boss, complete daily quests and kill rares in Korthia, complete Covenant Assaults, and more. Filling the bar to 100% will increase your Renown by 1.
Renown has a weekly cap, so the maximum level you can reach each week is limited, and there is no open grind.
Renown currently increases by 3 each week, but when we are done with the Chains of Domination campaign, it will start increasing by 2, as was the case in the previous patch.
Below, you will find Renown caps for each week following the Patch 9.1 launch.
- Week of June 29: Renown 42;
- Week of July 6: Renown 45;
- Week of July 13: Renown 48;
- Week of July 20: Renown 51;
- Week of July 27: Renown 54;
- Week of August 3: Renown 57.
Renown Catch-Up System
If you fall behind or are leveling an alternate character, you will be able to earn additional Renown from endgame activities, such as dungeon end-bosses, raids, PvP, Callings, and completing Covenant Campaign chapters, up until you reach that week's Renown cap.
Renown is now a possible reward from Torghast completions, with better chances at Renown coming from higher Torghast difficulties.
Renown levels will not be gone when you decide to come back later after switching to a different Covenant.
Renown User Interface
You can bring up the Renown UI by clicking on the Covenant Sanctum icon on your minimap and selecting "Renown" or by talking to Keepers of Renown at your Covenant Sanctum. You will find all the important information about Renown there, including your current level, and rewards that you earned or have not unlocked yet.
Increasing Renown Recharges Conduit Energy
Increasing your Renown recharges one Energy as of Patch 9.1.
The following achievements are tied to Renown in the Shadowlands:
- The Road to Renown — Reach Renown level 10.
- Gaining Respect — Reach Renown level 20.
- Becoming a Hero — Reach Renown level 30.
- Champion of the Covenant — Reach Renown level 40.
- 26 Jul. 2021: Torghast runs now increase Renown.
- 16 Jul. 2021: Updated with weekly caps.
- 27 Jun. 2021: Updated with Patch 9.1 changes.
- 10 Feb. 2021: Added required Renown to increase the max item level of World Quest rewards.
- 03 Feb. 2021: Specified means of catching up on Renown.
- 11 Jan. 2021: Added a section about getting stuck behind Renown cap.
- 12 Dec. 2020: Added exact weeks for individual Renown caps.
- 04 Dec. 2020: Weekly quest requirements reduced to 5 souls.
- 02 Dec. 2020: Removed minor outdated information.
- 01 Dec. 2020: Overhauled Renown a bit to make the sources clear, added weekly caps.
- 27 Nov. 2020: Fixed Renown quest requirements.
- 26 Nov. 2020: Added Anima Renown quest source.
- 21 Nov. 2020: Guide updated for Shadowlands launch.
- 18 Nov. 2020: Guide added.
- J. Allen Brack Game Maker's Notebook Interview From Just Before the Lawsuit
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: August 2nd
- Fly Without a Mount, Cast Spells, Even in Instances on BCC PTR!
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic and Heroic DPS Log Rankings, Week 4: A Look At Individual Bosses
- Teldrassil Animated Wallpaper Engine and Fan Art (Both During and Pre-Burning)
- Advanced Nightborne Customization (Fan Concept)
- The Most Popular DPS for Mythic+ in Shadowlands Season 2 (Week of July 27)
- Korthia Rift Treasures Suggested Map, Route and Tips