FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
DaemonAldent

Regarding Class Guides made for Jobs in prior patch/xpac

Hello. I'll keep it short and to the point. My post is regarding FF14, but more or less relates to all mmo guides Iceyveins features. The following is more for newer players more than vets.

I dont think that deleting/removing access to class guides when a new expansion drops is the best idea, mainly because the information is not made entirely useless for every player. For instance, rotations, stat priorities....if I have zero knowledge of a class, even old info will help me more than having nothing at all would. For example, today I rolled a healer on FF14...I've never once played the class. I know nothing about their stat priorities...both presently and pre xpac. Even though the priorities changed and I wont be finding out which stats are best , I'd at least have a general idea which are important. I honestly couldnt say if one meld is better than the other, and there ARE useless melds...melds for dps/tanks have more or less stayed the same for the last 2 xpansions. Crit is a great example of a meld that has never been useless. But not knowing anything about healers I dont know if its the same for them.

Its a really small thing, and maybe im being petty or *filtered*, but I just feel theres no effort putting an 'Old Guides' archive or something along those lines. 

Thank you for your time. 

Edited by DaemonAldent

15 hours ago, DaemonAldent said:

Hello. I'll keep it short and to the point. My post is regarding FF14, but more or less relates to all mmo guides Iceyveins features. The following is more for newer players more than vets.

I dont think that deleting/removing access to class guides when a new expansion drops is the best idea, mainly because the information is not made entirely useless for every player. For instance, rotations, stat priorities....if I have zero knowledge of a class, even old info will help me more than having nothing at all would. For example, today I rolled a healer on FF14...I've never once played the class. I know nothing about their stat priorities...both presently and pre xpac. Even though the priorities changed and I wont be finding out which stats are best , I'd at least have a general idea which are important. I honestly couldnt say if one meld is better than the other, and there ARE useless melds...melds for dps/tanks have more or less stayed the same for the last 2 xpansions. Crit is a great example of a meld that has never been useless. But not knowing anything about healers I dont know if its the same for them.

Its a really small thing, and maybe im being petty or *filtered*, but I just feel theres no effort putting an 'Old Guides' archive or something along those lines. 

Thank you for your time. 

Hey, thanks for your feedback. Even though I'm not on the FFXIV team, I think those FFXIV job guides for Endwalker labelled as coming soon are still fresh in the works and there were no previous iterations of them.

For WoW, we usually keep old guides up until a new patch hits live servers and they need an update.

Example: Phase 3 is hitting Burning Crusade Classic soon, but we still have Phase 2 as well as Phase 3 gearing pages up separately in the menu.

TL;DR: We never remove old guides without providing updated ones.

Just wanted to give a bit more insight regarding Stan's reply above.

As he mentioned, the FFXIV section is new on the site and, given that we have a team of writers hard at work behind the scenes, we wanted to get guides up as they were ready, rather than waiting to publish them all at the same time. Now, while this unfortunately leads to some jobs simply not having guides while others do, we felt it was best to help as many people as we could, as soon as we could.

Regarding removing information, we actually haven't removed any information regarding FFXIV on the site so far - there are guides that were updated with 6.0 and 6.0.5, but some still do have old information - Summoner, for example, is still the Shadowbringers guide. 

When a new expansion or patch releases in WoW, we update all of the guides by patch release, because the information is available to us via beta testing, PTRs, or patch notes.

For FFXIV, it's somewhat different, as we have no prior testing, and so the time required to update guides is completely dependent on the number of changes, as well as the writers, the theorycrafting required, and so on.

In regards to healing, we should have our first healing guide up soon, which will be for Astrologian!