Hymmnos

New to Affliction: Need Help with Stats and Mechanics

Sign in to follow this  

2 posts in this topic

2 Part Post

Part 1

So, I've played destruction up until VERY recently and I'v always wanted to give affliction a whirl as I really fell in love with the concept of using DoTs. Now that I'm a higher ilvl, I want to give it a go. I asked Mr. Robot what to reforge into from destro -> aff and it wants me to just gem and reforge haste out the wazoo. 

Battle.net Character Page

I'm sitting at around 17k haste and 11k mastery and I've been thinking whether I should be having more mastery. This is my first time really giving affliction a try so I don't know if Mr. Robot is incorrect in telling me to get ALL THE HASTE.

Ask Mr. Robot

Would anyone please comment or suggest things I could do to improve myself regarding stats?

Part 2

As I've said before, I'm relatively new to raiding with affliction and besides the stats, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with mechanics. I queued up for LFR2 and recorded the Iron Juggernaut battle.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FQBAXH3N4jpk62Cm

Please excuse the late doomguard... I thought LFR might actually lust at 20.

If anyone would please give me any kind of tips or suggestions to help play affliction, I would really appreciate it. 

Edit: Tons of logs
From our alt run. Forgot to turn on log from start so no H Immersius or Norushen
I switched between aff and destro to whatever I felt more comfortable with. Any suggestions / critique / comments are welcome.
I've also now reforged to better play destro since I'm doing that for a few fights still. 15.5k haste and 12.5k mastery while affliction. Haste goes down to 13.5k when I switch to KTT because BBoY is just too good.

Edit 2: Questions:
Scenario: It's the opener and you get all your procs and empower your dots. As your dots are timing out, is it better to refresh them and get the pandemic bonus or is it better to let it fully tick in its empowered state?

Edited by Hymmnos

For single target, AMR is correct in telling you to reforge for Haste, however in multi target situations Mastery tends to win out.

If you go to the AMR page and click on the stat priority, it will offer a drop down menu to select a Mastery based reforge.

Remember that AMR does not calculate the best set up for your character individually, but rather reforges everyone the same in accordance with a predetermined set of stat weights. You need to tell it what you want, effectively.

Back on topic, the main reason Mastery is favoured is due to the nature of SoO having so many fights with multiple targets. This is further reinforced by many people off ir main speccing Destruction, where Mastery is far and away the most desired stat.

I can't look at logs properly on my phone, so can take a look later this evening.

Edited by Liquidsteel

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Tarnen
      According to Azortharion simulations, our best for Antorus will be Qapla/Soul+Dire Frenzy/OWTP , ¿what stats need this build? At this moment, we need Mastery/Haste for Dire Frenzy build and Critical/Haste for OWTP build: therefore, they are mutually exclusive, right?  Or at least I understand that.
      So, ¿what stats?
    • By Deydoridra
      Hey guys,
      I'm new to playing affliction lock and ranged DPS in general really. Can someone help me see why my DPS isn't where it should be? I've changed my stats around and have been playing with my legendaries and rotation but I can't seem to improve. If someone has some ideas it would be much appreciated. 
      https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/arathor/syraice
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/71tcn24XFqBpZf9a/#view=rankings&boss=-2&difficulty=0
    • By Treylawny
      <Trust> may be what you're looking for if you enjoy killing internet dragons with a group of like minded players! Currently we are 8/9 Heroic, soon to be stepping into Mythic ToS. We are recruiting to finish rounding out our raid team. <Trust> is located on the [US] Doomhammer/Baelgun pve servers, alliance side! Check us out!

About Us:
      <Trust> is a recently formed guild, founded by a group of long time players that have been raiding together for a couple of years now. Founded out of a desire to continue raiding in a casual-progression manner, we work towards defeating mythic bosses. <Trust> is a raiding guild, first and foremost.

Our Raids:
      <Trust> maintains a progression-oriented 2-day semi-casual raiding team. That's 'semi' as in we expect our team members to always prioritize life first; but not 'casual' as in we take downing bosses less seriously. We strive to maintain a balance of taking our progression raids seriously while having plenty of laughs along the way.

Raid Schedule:
      Tuesday & Thursday: 5p – 8p server (8p – 11p eastern)
      Friday(optional): 5p – 8p server (8p – 11p eastern)

Recruitment:
      <Trust> is looking for full time Resto Druid, Mages, Hunters, and Warlocks for our raid team. We are also open for good people to join as casual players, pvpers, with the option to join farm content or alt raids.

More Info:
      Feel free to reach out to us:
      Recruitment Officer:
      In game - Treylawny
      Battletag - Treylawny#1813

Guild Lead:
      In game – Oleic
      Battletag - Jarg#1591

-OR-

Website and Application: <Trust> (US)Doomhammer/Baelgun
      (The app is quick and painless as its used primarily to get your name to us quickly!)

Discord is our way of communicating during raid; also used for casual chatting!

• By Venekus
      Hello again,
      So today I looted a ring in the Mythic+ weekly chest, awful stats but great iLvl improvement (885->920). So the question is: at what point is it sane to sacrifice +4% in Haste to get ~100k more HP?
      Thanks.

• By Sojnekah
      Hey there, looking for some common mistakes I might be making in my gear or dps rotation that I am just not seeing. You'd think it would be pretty basic but my dps has been all over the place recently. 

I will be fighting kiljaeden (pretty standard) and have anywhere from 650-850dps average for the fight. It's gotten me kicked a couple times obviously despite being good on mechanics. I've reviewed several guides, made sure I am enchanted and gemmed... cannot figure it out. What am I doing wrong? (Yes low on meters for other fights as well though not always). 

924 iLevel, wearing legendary belt and chest (dont have tier to wear shoulders and chest)

67% Mastery (issue?) 
      24% Critical Strike
      29% Haste

Opener: Blood Fury, Tome (trinket), Crow, Bestial Wrath, Dire Frenzy, KC, AspectotW, Titan's Thunder, CS, KC, DF...

Repeat KC, CS, And cast DF whenever buff falls off or procs bonus. 

Talent Build is:
      Cobra
      Frenzy
      Posthaste
      Bestial
      Int
      Crow
      Killer Cobra

Helps, tips, advice welcome. 

Are there common mistakes to rotation i might be making even if u dont see it here? Should i be working hard to gear swap? I am at a loss and it is getting frustrating. Thanks