Hymmnos

New to Affliction: Need Help with Stats and Mechanics

Sign in to follow this  

2 posts in this topic

2 Part Post

Part 1

So, I've played destruction up until VERY recently and I'v always wanted to give affliction a whirl as I really fell in love with the concept of using DoTs. Now that I'm a higher ilvl, I want to give it a go. I asked Mr. Robot what to reforge into from destro -> aff and it wants me to just gem and reforge haste out the wazoo. 

Battle.net Character Page

I'm sitting at around 17k haste and 11k mastery and I've been thinking whether I should be having more mastery. This is my first time really giving affliction a try so I don't know if Mr. Robot is incorrect in telling me to get ALL THE HASTE.

Ask Mr. Robot

Would anyone please comment or suggest things I could do to improve myself regarding stats?

Part 2

As I've said before, I'm relatively new to raiding with affliction and besides the stats, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with mechanics. I queued up for LFR2 and recorded the Iron Juggernaut battle.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FQBAXH3N4jpk62Cm

Please excuse the late doomguard... I thought LFR might actually lust at 20.

If anyone would please give me any kind of tips or suggestions to help play affliction, I would really appreciate it. 

Edit: Tons of logs
From our alt run. Forgot to turn on log from start so no H Immersius or Norushen
I switched between aff and destro to whatever I felt more comfortable with. Any suggestions / critique / comments are welcome.
I've also now reforged to better play destro since I'm doing that for a few fights still. 15.5k haste and 12.5k mastery while affliction. Haste goes down to 13.5k when I switch to KTT because BBoY is just too good.

Edit 2: Questions:
Scenario: It's the opener and you get all your procs and empower your dots. As your dots are timing out, is it better to refresh them and get the pandemic bonus or is it better to let it fully tick in its empowered state?

Edited by Hymmnos

For single target, AMR is correct in telling you to reforge for Haste, however in multi target situations Mastery tends to win out.

If you go to the AMR page and click on the stat priority, it will offer a drop down menu to select a Mastery based reforge.

Remember that AMR does not calculate the best set up for your character individually, but rather reforges everyone the same in accordance with a predetermined set of stat weights. You need to tell it what you want, effectively.

Back on topic, the main reason Mastery is favoured is due to the nature of SoO having so many fights with multiple targets. This is further reinforced by many people off ir main speccing Destruction, where Mastery is far and away the most desired stat.

I can't look at logs properly on my phone, so can take a look later this evening.

Edited by Liquidsteel

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Casdon
      [US] Stormreaver — Skunkworks
      Tuesdays & Thursdays: 7:00 P.M. to 11:00 P.M. (pst) || 9-1 (cst) || 10-2 (est)

Progression
      8/11M Antorus
      9/9M ToS
      10/10M Nighthold
      3/3M Trial of Valor
      7/7M Emerald Nightmare

Website
      skunkworksguild.com

About Us
      Skunkworks is a guild for players who can not or do not want to commit to the time-intensive raid schedules of traditional "hardcore" guilds.
      However, we still maintain a high caliber player environment and make an efficient use of our raiding time.
      We raid Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7:00 - 11:00 PST, just 8 hours a week and never more.

We are very protective of our guild environment and selective in recruitment. We are looking for solid players mechanically as well as intellectually.
      We all get paid to deal with idiots, why should we pay to spend our leisure time with them as well?

Skunkworks has been around for multiple expansions and has historically always been at the top of the 2-night raiding guild scene.

Past Raiding Achievements

#US 199 Mythic KJ #US 186 Mythic Archimonde #131 US Heroic Garrosh #68 US Heroic Ra-den #77 US Heroic Lei Shen #86 US Heroic Sha of Fear #106 US Heroic Madness of Deathwing #99 US Heroic Ragnaros #147 US Sinestra #91 US Heroic The Twilight Destroyer (Halion) #71 US Heroic Fall of the Lich King #247 US Tribute to Insanity #160 US Alone in the Darkness Current Guild Needs
      Amazing Range DPS ---Exceptional Candidates always considered regardless of recruiting needs.

How to Apply
      Apply with Google Forms
      https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeL-LW1-7rRK28Z3Nswg4xD3-jjQWrIsCh77rYOdxKwY0oPPQ/viewform.
      All applications are kept private.
      Please include at least the following.
          Prominent links to relevant armory pages ]A guild history with reasons for departure
          The reason(s) you have chosen to apply to this guild
          Warcraft Logs
          UI screenshots or fraps/Stream footage

Contact Information
      Shadaka (GM)
      Real ID:Shadak#1881

Aerivore (Recruitment Officers)
      Real ID:  Aerivore#1581

Sovm
      Real ID: Sov#1192
    • By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids and onwards. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids. The guild formed late March 2016 and fully cleared 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel pre nerf shortly after. We've since been improving our world ranking every tier.
      We currently raid 3 days per week on Mythic: Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:15-22:15 server time. While it is not a lot we try to make the most out of our time. We run optional heroic/normal/alt/previous tier raids during off days in which raiders are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is welcome to join(LoL, PUBG, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with only a 9 hour per week schedule so you are expected to attend and be ON TIME! However we understand things can come up sometimes but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons/world quests to improve your gear and artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared(i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding and a good, stable internet connection.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools, Weakauras2 and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.
      If you have any further questions please contact us at battletag: Vims#21684

To apply please visit our guild website: http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/recruitment
      __________________________________________________________________________
      Requirements to be considered into current main raids:
      - 930~ ilvl
      - 72+ traits.
      - 8/9 in ToS.
      - Exceptions to the requirements may be made.
      _____________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Priest: Shadow.
      Druid: Balance.
      Warlock: Affliction.
      Hunter: MM.
      Mage:Frost/fire
      Rogue: Assa/sub
      Any and all applications will be considered.
    • By filthsilvermoon
          3/11 M Antorus (ABT)
      FiLTHYs most wanted:
      2x Balance Druid
      2x Warlock
      1x Spriest
      1x Frost DK 1x Mistweaver

FiLTH, a friendly progressive guild looking for more skilled players.

FiLTHY Raid team:
      - Push Mythic progress
      - 3 raids a week, 3 hours each (Extra raid night during opening month of new raid content)
      - Must complete M+ 15 each week
      - 72 minimum traits
      - 940+ ilvl
      Raids are: (Monday extra night) Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday at 8:45PM - 11:45PM Server time (+1 GMT)

What WE can offer YOU:
      - Great and friendly community
      - Always people around to join in your keys
      - Teamspeak 3 and Discord server
      - M+ guild groups 15 and above
      - Raid Logs after every raid
      - Website forums
      - Raid livestreams
      - Guild Whatsapp groups
      - Special event nights
      - Alt raids

FiLTH is a fun place to be and most who join call it their home and family. It’s been a competitive raiding environment for over 6 years and has a strong and experienced core.
      Wowprogress: https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/eu/silvermoon/FiLTH

APPLY AT: http://filth.guildlaunch.com/
      OR
      Reply to this thread
      Message me on Marvynn#21579 or MrRoboto#2229 or Fozzy#2286.
    • By Exploit
      Hi everyone,
      I, like many others, are trying to maximize DPS for their respective classes, mine in particular being ret paladin.
      In general, it seems like there are several sources of information for dps for each class.
      Icy Veins Mr Robot Raidbots (Simulation Craft) Warcraft Logs Each with its own set of criteria as to what determines high dps. And I find inconsistency when bouncing between the different sources. I want to understand what am I missing when it comes to each. I will lay out what I currently understand, and would like some feedback as to what I may not be considering in each as well as some advice as to what other options I could be exploring (resources) to further the insight into whats applicable for my current state.
      Icy Veins
      For Icy Veins, in particular, the stat weights, are mostly vaguely determined. From the ret guide:

If I am reading this right, its Mastery >= Haste > Ver >= Crit = Str
      Mr Robot
      I use the addOn and I subscribe for the Best In Bags function. When I plug in my information in, the site recommends that I go with my 2pce t20 and balance around my legendaries with a focus on haste pieces (haste gems are emphasized).
      https://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simulator/report/a42136294c7f40b2b7ee78023306d786
      Stat weights as listed in MrRobot:
      MrRobot Stat Weights
      From what I am seeing, Crit is most emphasized, and the one crit gem + ring crit enchants were originally recommended by MrRobot here. Also another notable thing here is haste being way behind crit's potential.
      RaidBots (Simc)
      For RaidBots, I use the addOn, and play around with various items I hoard, and use the stat weights functions. Generally the feedback I get here are to stick with the current gem setup and with regards to stat weights, emphasize at my current setup with crit. It also says I should drop some of my high ilvl pieces (935 head, and 960 chest) for 4pce (915 head, lfr 890 chest)
      Gear simc:
      https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/d3Qbkf6nqpoP4bxQ9YB2m
      Stat Weights:
      https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/6NkVYwEaTW26FxD4wBwey4
      Vers -> crit -> mastery -> haste -> str
      (versitality first?)
      Warcraft Logs
      I mostly use Warcraft Logs to check what the top dps players (ret pallys) are hitting and what setups are they running. I don't want to specifically link player armories in here, but upon some investigation, you'll find most are just stacking haste
      ---
      I understand stat weights are relative, however it seems like everyone has different priorities, one says mastery, another vers, another crit, another haste?
      Help me understand.
      Thanks,
      Exploit

• By Neshama
      Hi, Im having shoulders with 925 ilevel, mastery and verstality, but also I do have shoulders 915 ilevel, haste and avoidance.

Whats better, lower item level but with best stats (haste/avoidance), or higher item level but with mastery and versa ?? 

In overall, is it better to aim for "best" stats or just push item level first?