FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

6.1 Demonology Guide

25% nerf to DB on PTR.....

CR+Sac to probably take over ST....rip

See, it's stuff like this that makes me crazy.  Abilities should never see 25% buffs or nerfs.  I like that they waited to drop this in on the release candidate patch, too.

See, it's stuff like this that makes me crazy.  Abilities should never see 25% buffs or nerfs.  I like that they waited to drop this in on the release candidate patch, too.

Apparently the reasoning behind leaving destro as an extreme outlier in SoO to not hurt raid teams isn't gonna matter!

'LETS DO A PATCH IN THE MIDDLE OF A RAID TIER.'

Maybe jumping the gun here, but what are you guys planning on running for single target fights if this stays for live servers? Still Demonbolt? If not, what?

Maybe jumping the gun here, but what are you guys planning on running for single target fights if this stays for live servers? Still Demonbolt? If not, what?

From the quick sims i saw popping up on mmochamp, cata is prolly gonna be the way to go when there is more than 1 target (at least if you're bent on sticking to demo), so basically every boss except gruul & blackhand tongue.png

at least that's what i "think", don't take it for granted ^^

Edited by Gruxa

From the quick sims i saw popping up on mmochamp, cata is prolly gonna be the way to go when there is more than 1 target (at least if you're bent on sticking to demo), so basically every boss except gruul & blackhand tongue.png

at least that's what i "think", don't take it for granted ^^

Yes, Cataclysm Demonology will stay strong, which is why I asked about single target. :)

Does HoG stack 3 times? What's the correct way of using the 4-piece set? 

It stacks twice.

Usually you want to extend the 2 stack as long as possible. With good RNG you can have HoG up for a good 60s into the fight.

You can also use it for burst and bank charges to slam multiple Chaos Waves.

i have a quick question. my guild is asking us what our worst tier piece of the 5 is for our spec. does anyone have that information for demonology?

Edited by Roblinz

i have a quick question. my guild is asking us what our worst tier piece of the 5 is for our spec. does anyone have that information for demonology?

The legs logical one, since the legs off iron madiens(non tier) have haste/mastery

But iirc my sims said gloves. 

But sims are weird. 

I'd say legs from maidens as off piece.

I seem to be struggling to play Demo using Cata. If I using DemonBolt I am golden, I use MC SF in caster, keep both dots up, pop into meta for Nuke burn when DB debuff falls off and everything is good. Once I take cata for fights it better on, I seem to have trouble using it right and doing my Meta burn. 

Mainly the opener and nuke phase is my struggling part. Timing cata for max benefit I am good at. Just other parts are costing me.

For opener how do we open with cata?

For nuke do we just go into meta ever Min (with glyph) / 2 min (without) and refresh Doom / use all MC procs then spam ToC until we pop out or how do we handle this?

If I am using DB I got demo down, just when using cata + nuke I clueless it seems.

With Cata you just play like pre-DB Demonology.

I played Cata for Hanzgar and Franzok and Flamebender Kagraz progress yesterday, and ran with Synergy / AD / Cata and Unglyphed Dark Soul.

The opener is the same, but instead of casting Demonbolt you cast Cataclysm, and there is no need to manually apply Doom. Spam Soulfire / ToC, but with 2+ targets I also add in Chaos Wave.

Build as normal but try to save Molten Core procs if you can*, and make sure that you have a close to full Fury bar and 8+ MC procs when you have your 2 minute cooldowns up again.

In between burn cycles I use Synergy procs as my bleed windows. Spend 15s spamming ToC / get a 2 stack HoG up and you're golden.

*On high movement encounters such as Hanz and Franz, it is ok to use Soul Fire in caster and more ToC in Meta to deal with mechanics. Use this as a personal judgement; you will have to think for yourself and evaluate your Fury / Cooldowns / Boss timers to make a decision.

I never played Demo before Demon Bolt, always just destro as I never had Demo down good I felt to play it during raid. So cata when taken is used to put doom up got it, In between DS we try and stay at a sweet spot of 8 say MC and almost full fury/full. I never thought about jumping into meta for a little bit with Syn proc and using ToC. I do make sure to get a double HoG off during the proc window to do most damage.

You said to use Cata in place of Demon Bolt ok that helps, but after I cast Cata and use any MC SF do I just spam ToC until I pop out? or manually pop out and go into the build?

2+ target you do CW? what you mean like you use Chaos wave over HoG even on fights like Hanz and Franz? I thought CW only won out if there were ton of mobs like Beastlord. / Tectus (all the motes) etc..

The legs logical one, since the legs off iron madiens(non tier) have haste/mastery

But iirc my sims said gloves. 

But sims are weird. 

I'd say legs from maidens as off piece.

legs have crit/mastery mate :P gloves have haste /mastery , (i'm picking gloves as off piece)

I need some clarification on just how much we want to throw around dots.  How many mobs do there need to be before it becomes a waste of time to try to dot all of them up, outside of applying it on everything at once with cata?  Trying to eek out some more numbers by playing better while still not trying to just needlessly pad (like with cata on beastmaster or blast furnace).

edit: another question.  Just learned that the new alchemy trinkets which at first seemed quite sexy, have now been changed to have passive mastery to having passive versatility.  Still a big int proc but...the passive is now kind of shit.  Disappointed because i've been saving bloods for it.

http://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=181650/stone-of-fire

Still worth it?

Edited by KoragonArt

Still worth it?

Nooooooppppppeeeee.  In all fairness, they nerfed the shit out of it about 4 weeks ago on the PTR.  Plenty of warning on that one.

Edited by iriecolorado

With Cata you just play like pre-DB Demonology.

I played Cata for Hanzgar and Franzok and Flamebender Kagraz progress yesterday, and ran with Synergy / AD / Cata and Unglyphed Dark Soul.

The opener is the same, but instead of casting Demonbolt you cast Cataclysm, and there is no need to manually apply Doom. Spam Soulfire / ToC, but with 2+ targets I also add in Chaos Wave.

Build as normal but try to save Molten Core procs if you can*, and make sure that you have a close to full Fury bar and 8+ MC procs when you have your 2 minute cooldowns up again.

In between burn cycles I use Synergy procs as my bleed windows. Spend 15s spamming ToC / get a 2 stack HoG up and you're golden.

*On high movement encounters such as Hanz and Franz, it is ok to use Soul Fire in caster and more ToC in Meta to deal with mechanics. Use this as a personal judgement; you will have to think for yourself and evaluate your Fury / Cooldowns / Boss timers to make a decision.

That's generally how I've been playing Cata as well, but I'm considering an alternative approach for Iron Maidens (when not going on the boat); and it may be applicable to similar fights.  What do you think of:

Talent GoSup rather than GoSyn, MF rather than AD, and glyph DS.

Every 1 min, use meta, then Immo Auro, then DS + Cata + Felstorm simultaneously (you could macro all of this, probably), followed by 2x CW and soul fire or ToC to finish off the final seconds of DS. 

In the intervening 50 seconds between each phase, build fury by burning most MC procs in caster form; switching to demon form occasionally to use CW & ToC while moving. 

As the fight approaches the final phase, bank 900+ fury and try to make sure Cata & DS will be off cooldown for at least a 10 second window during heroism. 

Depending on how much trouble the group is having burning down each boss in the final phase, it may make more sense to take AD, avoid Immo Aura & the DS glyph altogether, and have two charges of DS banked for that final phase so that you can use one with three consecutive Cata's and proceed to burn the infinite MC procs you'll have for longer at the end.  I made a spreadsheet to play with the numbers and I think MF/Immo Aura + DS glyph is a DPS gain over the whole fight, but AD + no glyph may be the better option to actually defeat the bosses in the final phase.

Edited by Zinthar

MF isn't worth it because IA isn't worth it to be honest. Most of the fight is two targets, and AFAIK you don't really want to use IA on less than 4 targets anyway.

The flexibility that AD offers is just plain better, I believe.