FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Your opinion on Cogwheel Gems

Engineering is my favorite profession by far. Not that I make much money from it or that it's awesome for raiding, but I love all the cool stuff it brings (funny enchants that backfire, cool mounts, jeeves, portable mailbox, auction house in Dalaran, etc.).

When Blizzard announce Cogwheel Gems, at the beginning of Cataclysm, I was quite excited. Naturally, I got myself Lightweight Bio-Optic Killshades and used them until I eventually replaced them with the heroic version of Power Generator Hood.

I was expecting Patch 4.2 or Patch 4.3 to bring an upgraded version of the Bio-Optic Killshades line, but this did not happen. Now, Cogwheel Gems have faded into oblivion.

For me, Cogwheel Gems were a major and exciting change that the Engineering profession underwent in Cataclysm (together with the new way of learning tinkers). For Mists of Pandaria, it does not seem that Cogwheel Gems are going to return, so I guess Blizzard deemed them a failure and I wish it hadn't been so.

The question was why were they even implemented in the first place? Just the one available item that you could use them with with zero upgrades, just seemed like a massive waste of effort time and resources even thinking the idea up.

I remember searching the AH and seeing that cogwheels had even been given their own category search and thought that they would really become popular, somehow making you able to change stats on helms to fit cogwheels in instead.

Its a shame they didnt really take off. But some of Blizzards decisions are puzzling. Its like they didnt think far enough ahead and just tried to implement them to keep the engineers off their backs.

Think engineering got deal a really bad hand for Cataclysm personally. Everything I use is all from Wrath anyway (still use nitro boost, mailbox, gnomish army knife, Jeeves etc).

• Like 1

Agreed. Engineering got shafted in cata. The only thing worth using was the Synapse Springs. We got one new pet (depending if you were gnomish or goblin) and that was the end of it.

I didn't end up crafting my eng helm until AFTER I got the Power Generator Hood. And I only did it for transmog anyways.

It looks like Mists is at least lining up to give us some cool stuff like new mounts and such. That paired with my JC I'm going to basically spend MoP making mounts for everyone.

Yeah, looks like we're getting some much needed attention in MoP.

I was pretty pissed when they didn't continue adding helms after 4.1 and 4.2

Edited by Moshic

Yeah, looks like we're getting some much needed attention in MoP.

I was pretty pissed when they didn't continue adding helms after 4.1 and 4.2

Could you please develop on Engineering in Mists of Pandaria? I have been mostly focusing on questing for now, so I did not pay much attention yet to profession changes ;)

I levelled engineering (along with blacksmithing) on my dps warrior during early Cataclysm. Engineering was the only profession I had never had maxed out until that point. I was primarily trying the profession for the crafted head item and for the cogwheels. I'll never forget my delight at finally crafting the Killshades (back when Chaos Orbs were still BoP drops).. and I'll never forget my massive disappointment that Blizzard didn't do anything else with the cogwheel idea. It was a great idea as all other professions have profession specific bonuses. Yet blizzard seem to have totally given up on the idea.