TBC Classic Beast Mastery Hunter Spell Summary
On this page, we present you with all spells and procs that you need to understand as a Beast Mastery Hunter in TBC Classic.
Hunters will always have one of their Aspect abilities active. These are essentially different buffs where you can choose which one you want to have active. As a default, you should always be in either Aspect of the Hawk for the extra ranged attack power or Aspect of the Viper if you are low on Mana. All of the different Aspects are listed below.
- Aspect of the Hawk increases your ranged attack power and is a great default choice if you are not sure what Aspect to use. This is your only Aspect that increases your damage dealt.
- Aspect of the Monkey is the first Aspect you will learn and it increases your Dodge Chance. Use this Aspect if you have a melee attacking you and you do not think that you will be able to get away from them.
- Aspect of the Cheetah increases your movement speed by 30% (more with Pathfinding). This is a great Aspect to use whenever you are running anywhere, especially before you get your mount.
- Aspect of the Pack is the same as Aspect of the Cheetah, except it affects your whole party, not just you.
- Aspect of the Beast makes other players and Hunters unable to track you. This is useful if you are waiting to ambush someone in the world, or are out scouting trying to find enemy players, and you are worried that they might be using Track Humanoids.
- Aspect of the Wild increases your and your group's Nature Resistance. This is useful whenever you and your group are going to be taking Nature damage.
- Aspect of the Viper passively regenerates your Mana while active. This is your second most-used aspect behind Aspect of the Hawk in raids and should be used any time you need more Mana.
Core Ranged Rotational Abilities for Hunters
These are your core damaging abilities that you will use frequently, either while leveling or at max level.
- Auto Shot is your basic ranged attack and will be the majority of your damage. It is slightly different from other basic attacks, however, and you should read more about it here.
- Aimed Shot is your hardest-hitting ability, but has a 3 second cast time. This is a great pre-pull ability or for when you need especially high burst damage. Keep in mind that this is a talent and you will not have this until you spend the necessary points in the Marksmanship tree.
- Multi-Shot is your other core damage ability specifically for cleave and AoE. On multiple stacked targets, you can add this into your rotation on cooldown.
- Hunter's Mark applies a debuff on the target that lasts forever, increasing the ranged attack power of anyone who attacks the target. This can only be active on one target at a time, and should always be up. Cast this before you engage a new enemy, since it will not start combat with them.
- Arcane Shot is an instant shot that deals Arcane damage. This is useful for quickly attacking enemies while moving if you have nothing else to use. This does share a cooldown with Aimed Shot however, so it is worth keeping that in mind if you were planning to use Aimed Shot soon after.
- Serpent Sting is a damage over time effect that deals Nature damage. Assuming you do not need to use another sting, this is another solid ability to use while moving for when you cannot cast Steady Shot.
- Steady Shot the single most important DPS ability that you will learn as a Hunter. While you cannot learn it until level 62, once you do it takes over your rotation. Steady Shot is a spammable, 1-second cast shot that scales very well with your AP.
- Kill Command commands your pet to instantly attack for some extra damage than a normal hit. This can only be used after you crit your target, but this ability is also off the GCD, so you can just macro it into your other rotational abilities.
Melee Abilities for Hunters
Hunters have a minimum range on their ranged attacks, meaning if an enemy is within 5 yards, they must resort to using melee attacks. These are the different melee attacks that you can utilize.
- Raptor Strike is your most powerful melee ability. It works like a Warrior's Heroic Strike, dealing bonus damage on your next melee swing. Use this on cooldown while fighting a target in melee.
- Mongoose Bite is your second strongest melee ability, and only usable after you dodge an attack. Use this when available while fighting a target in melee.
- Wing Clip is a melee attack that deals a small amount of damage and slows the enemy's movement speed by 50% for 10 seconds. You should always keep this debuff up on an enemy if they are within melee range, as it is your best way to get away from them.
Traps are one of the Hunter's most iconic class features, allowing them to place traps on the ground that will do something when an enemy walks over them. You can only have one trap of each type (Fire, Frost, and Nature) out at a time. In TBC, traps can be used in combat.
- Immolation Trap is a Fire trap that puts a Fire damage over time effect on the enemy that triggers it.
- Explosive Trap is a Fire trap that deals a burst of Fire damage to all enemies within 10 yards when triggered, and additionally puts a Fire damage over time effect on all of the enemies hit. This is a powerful AoE ability when dealing with lots of targets.
- Freezing Trap is a Frost trap that freezes the enemy who triggers it for 10 seconds. This prevents all action while frozen, but any damage will break the freeze.
- Frost Trap drops a patch of ice on the ground when triggered that slows all enemies inside by 60%. This can be very useful for kiting large groups of enemies.
- Snake Trap is a Nature trap that will spawn several angry, venomous snakes when triggered which will die after 15 seconds. While alive they will attack whoever triggered them.
Hunters are able to use their tracking abilities, such as Track Humanoids or Track Beasts, to track specific types of enemies. You can only have one tracking ability active at any time and, while active, you will be able to see all enemies of the type you are tracking on your minimap.
- Track Humanoids tracks nearby Humanoids on your mini-map, which includes both friendly and enemy players.
- Track Beasts tracks nearby Beasts on your mini-map.
- Track Undead tracks nearby Undead on your mini-map. This does not include Undead players.
- Track Hidden tracks nearby hidden targets on your mini-map. This includes players who are stealthed.
- Track Elementals tracks nearby Elementals on your mini-map.
- Track Demons tracks nearby Demons on your mini-map.
- Track Giants tracks nearby Giants on your mini-map.
- Track Dragonkin tracks nearby Dragonkin on your mini-map.
Hunters have several abilities that are classified as "stings." They all apply a debuff of some sort to your enemy target, and only one sting can be active at any given time.
- Serpent Sting is a damage over time effect that deals Nature damage.
- Scorpid Sting is a debuff that reduces the target's Strength and Agility.
- Viper Sting is a debuff that drains the target's Mana over 8 seconds. This is incredibly powerful against casters or any class that uses Mana.
While pets have their own abilities, you also have several abilities related to healing, feeding, and interacting with your pet in general. All of your abilities related to your pet are listed below.
- Tame Beast allows you to tame a Beast, making it your pet. For more information about pets, go to the Classic pet page.
- Call Pet will call your pet to your side if your pet is alive and currently dismissed.
- Revive Pet revives your pet if it is dead.
- Feed Pet should be used on food in your inventory to feed your pet, increasing its happiness. Different pets will eat different types of food. Use Beast Lore to learn what your pet's diet is.
- Dismiss Pet dismisses your pet from your side until you use Call Pet to bring it back. This is very useful whenever you want to make sure your pet does not accidentally pull extra enemies, such as when you jump down from a ledge.
- Mend Pet heals your pet over 15 seconds when used, no longer a channeled ability.
- Eyes of the Beast allows you to control your pet and run around while viewing its perspective.
- Beast Lore tells you information about the type of pet you have, including its category, diet, and lore.
- Intimidation is a Beast Mastery talent that commands your pet to stun the target for 3 seconds, also causing high amounts of threat.
These are the few cooldowns that Hunters have. Cooldowns are powerful abilities that do something special, but have a longer cooldown period before you can use them again. These can be incredibly important abilities, but due to their long cooldown periods, require careful consideration and planning for where you should make the best use of them.
- Bestial Wrath is a late tier Beast Mastery talent. This is a 2-minute cooldown that lasts for 18 seconds, massively increasing your pet's damage while active. With the The Beast Within talent, this will also increase your damage and reduce your Mana costs while active.
- Rapid Fire is a Hunter's most important cooldown. It increases your ranged attack speed by 40% for 15 seconds, which also affects your Aimed Shot cast time. This is a huge damage increase and should be used when you need the extra damage the most.
- Wyvern Sting is an instant shot that puts the target to sleep for 12 seconds. This is the final talent of the Survival tree and is considered a "sting" ability.
- Volley is a large, channeled, AoE ability that rains down arrows on all enemies within 8 yards of where you cast it. This is relatively weak on individual targets, so you should not use this unless there is a large group (10+) of enemies.
Hunter Utility Spells
Hunters have several important utility spells in their arsenal that enable them to do things that other classes cannot.
- Misdirection requires that you target a friendly player or your pet to use. Places a 30 second buff on you, and will last for your next 3 shots. For those 3 shots, all threat you generate is given to your initial friendly target instead. The best ability to use this with is Distracting Shot, as it generates the most threat out of any shot.
- Concussive Shot could be considered a core rotational ability due to how much you will use it. It is an instant shot that slows the enemy target by 50% for 4 seconds. This is very useful when kiting in PvE and PvP.
- Distracting Shot is an instant shot that generates threat against your target. If you need to get an enemy's attention, this is how you do it.
- Scare Beast is like a Warlock's Fear, but only usable against beasts. This is also usable against Druids in their beast forms.
- Eagle Eye allows you to see very far away. This is very useful for scouting out in the world.
- Disengage will lower your threat against your current target. If an enemy is attacking you and you want it to change target, use this ability frequently.
- Feign Death causes you to play dead, which drops your combat along with all threat against any target that was attacking you. This is also very useful in PvP, as it causes enemy players to lose you as their target when you use this ability.
- Flare throws a flare at a location, revealing hidden targets in that area and makes them unable to hide again while the flare is active. This is very useful for fighting against Rogues and Druids when you do not want them to stealth.
- Tranquilizing Shot is an instant shot that removes a frenzy effect, such as an enrage buff, from an enemy. This is perhaps a Hunter's most valuable utility spell in a raid and is why at least one Hunter is in every raid group, since Hunters are the only class with an ability that removes frenzy effects.
- 25 May 2021: Guide added.
- In-Game Preview of the Dungeon Finder in Wrath Classic
- How to Find Out You've Been Invited to Beta Testing?
- Awesome Hard Mode 4 Ahn'Qiraj Season of Mastery World First Clear Video
- Wrath of the Lich King Classic Beta Invite Wave Went Out
- Naxxramas New Season of Mastery Features Teased
- Wrath of the Lich King Classic Beta Development Notes: June 22nd
- Wrath of the Lich King Classic Closed Beta Now Live
- What's Ahead for Wrath Classic (Developer Update)
- Healing Druids (Moonglow/NG) - Crit Chance
- Jolteon 1 - Pendulum of DOOM PvP - Level 39 BiS Enhancement Shaman TBC
- Jailer is in ICC!
- Icy Veins Talent Sequence Addon
- Shaman Tank comprehensive guide - Learn how to master World of Warcraft Classic Season of Mastery as a proficient Shaman Tank
- Melee Hunter Guide - Playing World of Warcraft as a Melee Hunter
- A-Whitemane-OHANA 8/10
- Shaman Tank Guide - Playing WoW as a Shaman Tank