WotLK Classic Discipline Priest Guide
Welcome to our Discipline Priest guide for WotLK Classic, tailored for PvE content. Here, you will learn how all you need to know to play Discipline Priest proficiently. Click the links below to navigate the guide or read this page for a short introduction.
Discipline Priest has been vastly improved in Wrath of the Lich King, becoming one of the most powerful healers in the game. As a Discipline Priest, you will primarily focus on buffing and rapidly healing injured allies.
The Discipline talent tree in Wrath of the Lich King has received a massive overhaul, outfitting Disc Priest with an extremely powerful healing toolkit that excels from the very start of the expansion all the way until the end. Bolstering multiple personal and external buffs and raid cooldowns, a Discipline Priest is a core healer in any WotLK Raid Composition.
If you would like to see where Discipline Priest falls in the overall rankings among healer specs for both PvE and PvP in WotLK Classic, we have created pages dedicated to explaining what classes and specializations are the best of the best through multiple factors. However, ultimately, you should not let these lists dissuade you from playing what you enjoy.
Strengths and Weaknesses
- Generally easy to gear, as most desired pieces are not wanted by others.
- Very high passive stats through talents, making them powerful in low gear.
- Great scaling throughout the entire expansion, remaining a competitive healing option.
- Powerful external raid cooldowns.
- Great single-target burst healing.
- Requires knowing fights well to predict incoming damage.
- Does not do well with other Discipline Priests in the raid.
- Poor AoE healing in high damage situations.
Best Races for Discipline Priest
Here you can see the benefits of the different races for Discipline Priest in WotLK. For healers, racial bonuses are very minor and not game changing.
Draenei is one of the strongest races in PvE content for Alliance, as Heroic Presence is a great stat boost to your entire party. It still remains a party-wide buff, not raid-wide, meaning the group you are in still matters. This buff gives you nothing personally, but is great for DPS players in your group.
Humans remain a solid choice for Priests, but for different reasons than previously. The Human Spirit is a decent benefit, but not all that game changing. Humans are also arguably the strongest race in the game for PvP. Having both Will to Survive, essentially a free PvP trinket, and Perception, Human is a solid choice if you will be doing PvP on your Priest.
Blood Elves have become a powerful race choice in WotLK, having the new and improved Arcane Torrent. This is a great source of Mana regeneration as well as a powerful silence on nearby enemies, which has some uses in both PvE and PvP.
Troll remains a solid race choice overall, but Priest fails to take full advantage of their strong abilities. While Berserking is a powerful cooldown, Discipline Priests typically cannot take full advantage of the additional Haste as you get all you need from talents. There are still a few situations where this can be a life saver though, making Trolls a solid choice.
Undead remain a decent choice for their strength in PvP. Will of the Forsaken is still a great tool for PvP, especially arenas, and even has some uses in PvE content.
Best Professions for Discipline Priest in Wrath of the Lich King
Jewelcrafting is an extremely powerful profession in Wrath of the Lich King, being used by almost all classes and specializations. For a Discipline Priest, it provides you with Runed Dragon's Eye, being a huge boost to your main stat.
In addition to having the strongest gems in the game, Jewelcrafters also have access to some powerful trinkets early on, making pre-raid gearing much quicker. Figurine - Sapphire Owl is a great trinket early on, having a high amount of Intellect to help with your Mana pool, two open gem sockets, and a high Mana return on use. Craft this early and you will use it for a good while.
Tailoring goes hand in hand with casters in WotLK, remaining one of the best professions they can use. First you have powerful cloak enchants at your disposal. Lightweave Embroidery is a strong cloak enchant, giving you an additional 295 Spell Power every 60 seconds, making this much stronger than any other cloak enchant available. Darkglow Embroidery is your other cloak enchant choice, giving us mana instead of increased stats. Averaging out to 44 Mana per 5, this one is a good choice early on.
Tailoring also has the benefit of offering cheap leg enchants. Sanctified Spellthread is your Tailoring-specific leg enchant, and while it does not have higher stats than other leg enchant choices, it is much cheaper, helping you save some gold.
Engineering on paper is not a great profession, but it provides a high amount of utility and added damage that make it arguably the strongest profession in Wrath of the Lich King.
Visage Liquification Goggles is your pre-raid best in slot helm option, giving you another easy piece of gear to craft early on. Nitro Boosts is a powerful boot enchant choice, allowing you to cover a large amount of ground quickly. This can greatly increase your uptime on certain bosses that have high movement mechanics.
Springy Arachnoweave is a great cloak enchant, only being second best behind the Tailoring cloak enchants. The active slowfall is rather low value for you as you have Glyph of Levitate, making your Levitate free to use. You can however still use this and change your minor glyph. You can also use this slowfall cloak without fear of it breaking upon taking damage, unlike Levitate.
Engineering explosives continue on through WotLK with both Global Thermal Sapper Charge and Saronite Bomb giving you extra damage, especially during large AoE pulls. You also get to use Runic Mana Injector which give Engineers an additional 25% Mana compared to the normal Mana potions.
Overall, Engineering remains a powerful option for everyone as it brings a huge amount of utility and extra damage. If your raid requires you to have Engineering, do not feel bad about losing out on a few passive stats as the utility you gain far outweighs them.
Priest Addons and Macros
Using macros and addons makes your life significantly easier when playing Wrath Classic, and they can improve your experience a lot, depending on how skilled you are at customizing them. If you are interested in learning more about addons and macros suited to Discipline Priest, check out our guides below:
- 09 Oct. 2023 (pre-raid gear page): Updated for Phase 4.
- 09 Oct. 2023 (gear page): Updated for Phase 4.
- 09 Oct. 2023 (enchants page): Reviewed for Phase 4.
- 09 Oct. 2023 (stats page): Updated for Phase 4.
- 09 Oct. 2023 (rotation page): Updated for Phase 4.
- 09 Oct. 2023 (talents page): Reviewed for Phase 4.
- 09 Oct. 2023 (spells page): Reviewed for Phase 4.
- 09 Oct. 2023 (this page): Reviewed for Phase 4.
- 06 Jun. 2023 (pre-raid gear page): Updated with Phase 3 Pre-raid BiS list.
- 29 May 2023 (gear page): Updated with information about Tier 8 vs Tier 9 sets.
- 10 May 2023 (gear page): Updated with Phase 3 Best in Slot lists. Entirely revamped page format.
- 10 May 2023 (stats page): Updated for Phase 3.
- 10 May 2023 (rotation page): Updated rotation priorities for Phase 3.
- 04 May 2023 (enchants page): Updated for Phase 3 epic gems.
- 18 Jan. 2023 (pre-raid gear page): Reviewed for Phase 2 release ahead of Ulduar raid release.
- 18 Jan. 2023 (gear page): Reviewed for Phase 2 release ahead of Ulduar raid release.
- 18 Jan. 2023 (stats page): Reviewed for Phase 2 release ahead of Ulduar raid release.
- 18 Jan. 2023 (talents page): Reviewed for Phase 2 release ahead of Ulduar raid release.
- 18 Jan. 2023 (spells page): Reviewed for Phase 2 release ahead of Ulduar raid release.
- 18 Jan. 2023 (this page): Reviewed for Phase 2 release ahead of Ulduar raid release.
- 12 Jan. 2023 (enchants page): Updated for Phase 2.
- 12 Jan. 2023 (rotation page): Updated for Phase 2.
- 02 Sep. 2022 (pre-raid gear page): Page added.
- 02 Sep. 2022 (gear page): Page added.
- 02 Sep. 2022 (enchants page): Page added.
- 02 Sep. 2022 (stats page): Page added.
- 02 Sep. 2022 (rotation page): Page added.
- 02 Sep. 2022 (talents page): Page added.
- 02 Sep. 2022 (spells page): Page added.
- 02 Sep. 2022 (this page): Page added.
- Season of Discovery Global Launch Times: When Does the Update Go Live?
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Honor Decay Removed In Season of Discovery and Classic Era
- Season of Discovery Launch Times
- Season of Discovery Will Launch With Fewer Realms
- Icecrown Citadel Player Buff Coming Early December
- Battle.net Black Friday Sale: Up to 67% Off
- Blizzard Explain Why Classic Hardcore Servers Are Down Longer