WotLK Classic Enchanting Profession and Leveling 1-450 Guide
Enchanting is a very useful profession in WotLK Classic. It is used to enhance yours and others' equipment with powerful spells and to Disenchant equipment that is no longer useful for components. Discover what is new in Wrath of the Lich King, how to level Enchanting, and where to get the best enchants from in this guide.
Wrath of the Lich King Enchanting Profession and Leveling Guide
In WotLK Classic, the Enchanting profession allows you to Disenchant most gear into its arcane components. These components can be used to Enchant yours and others’ equipment or can instead be sold, usually for good profits, at the auction house.
Main features of Enchanting in WotLK Classic
- The skill level cap of Enchanting is 450. Higher-level enchanting rods are also usable for lower level-enchants, which means at 450 skill you will have only one enchanting rod and can do any enchant with it.
- There are personal enchants, exclusively for your own rings: Enchant Ring - Greater Spellpower, Enchant Ring - Assault, and Enchant Ring - Stamina.
- When Disenchanting items, certain Enchanting skill levels are required for each level of gear.
- Enchanting is generally considered to be one of the best goldmaking professions.
- Enchanters can now use Vellums from Inscription to turn their enchants into consumable items and sell them via the Auction House.
Enchanting Training and Trainers
Skill levels 1-300 (Apprentice to Artisan) are taught by trainers in the capital cities of each faction. Talking to any city guard will open a dialogue window which can lead you to the profession trainers by showing a red flag on the map and an arrow on the minimap.
Skill levels 300-375 (Master) are learned in Outland through the following teachers:
- Johan Barnes (Honor Hold in Hellfire Peninsula, Alliance-only)
- Felannia (Thrallmar in Hellfire Peninsula, Horde-only)
- Asarnan (Stormspire in Netherstorm, any faction)
- High Enchanter Bardolan (Scryer’s Library in Shattrath, any faction but exclusive to members of The Scryers)
Skill levels 375-450 (Grand Master) are learned in Northrend from the following trainers:
- Alexis Marlowe in Valiance Keep Borean Tundra (Alliance-only)
- Elizabeth Jackson in Valgarde, Howling Fjord (Alliance-only)
- Eorain Dawnstrike in Warsong Hold, Borean Tundra (Horde-only)
- Emil Autumn in Vengeance Landing, Howling Fjord
Just as with TBC, there are also neutral trainers
- Enchanter Nalthanis can be found in Dalaran
- Fael Morningsong is at the Argent Tournament in Icecrown (unavailable in Phase 1)
You can Disenchant most Uncommon-, Rare-, and Epic-quality equipment. This spell can be found in your spell book. Each disenchanted item will give you different types and amounts of Dusts, Essences, Shards, or Crystals, depending on the Item Level of the disenchanted item. These materials are essential for Enchanting equipment. Uncommon armor pieces have a higher chance to disenchant into Dust, while Uncommon weapons have a higher chance to disenchant into Essences. Rare weapons and armor have a high chance to disenchant into a Shard and Epic items will disenchant into a Crystal most of the time. Very rarely, disenchanting high-level Rare items can give you Crystals. Some gear cannot be disenchanted at all.
In order to Disenchant items, you need a certain Enchanting skill level relative to each item's Level requirement. In practice that means that you cannot disenchant a high-level item if you have a low Enchanting skill level. This list will help you to determine which items you can disenchant at a given skill level:
|Uncommon- and Rare-Quality Equipment||Epic-Quality Equipment|
|Enchanting Skill Required||Player Level Required to Equip||Enchanting Skill Required||Player Level Required to Equip|
From Enchanting skill levels 1 to 60, you can receive skill-ups by Disenchanting low-level items.
This guide relies heavily on using Dusts and avoiding Essences where possible, because using Dusts is often the significantly-cheaper way of training Enchanting. Further, this guide will mostly opt for skill-ups with Orange-level Enchants, which, compared to Green- and Yellow-quality enchants, guarantee you skill-ups. In order to quickly train Enchanting from 1 to 375, you will need the following materials:
- 196x Strange Dust
- 114x Soul Dust
- 189x Vision Dust
- 300x Dream Dust
- 365x Illusion Dust and 323x Arcane Dust, or 170x Illusion Dust and 411x Arcane Dust; use whichever are cheaper on your server or whichever you have more of.
- 729x Infinite Dust
- 3x Greater Magic Essence
- 30x Lesser Astral Essence
- 2x Greater Astral Essence
- 2x Greater Mystic Essence
- 10x Lesser Nether Essence
- 8x Greater Eternal Essence
- 20x Lesser Planar Essence
- 45x Greater Planar Essence
- 10x Lesser Cosmic Essence
- 130x Greater Cosmic Essence
- 8x Large Brilliant Shard
- 43x Large Prismatic Shard
- 56x Dream Shard
- 1x Copper Rod — Obtained from an Enchanting Supplies vendor next to an Enchanting trainer
- 1x Fel Iron Rod — Created by Blacksmithing
- 1x Arcanite Rod — Created by Blacksmithing
- 1x Adamantite Rod — Created by Blacksmithing
- 1x Eternium Rod — Created by Blacksmithing
- 1x Titanium Rod
- 1x Primal Might — Created by Alchemy
- 10x Crystallized Water
- 1x Black Pearl
- 1x Golden Pearl
- 5x Leaded Vial — Obtained from a Enchanting Supplies vendor next to an Enchanting trainer
- 10x Stranglethorn Seed
Most of the following formulas are very common, being both cheap and easy to acquire either from a vendor or from the auction house. Some formulas are also gated behind faction reputation.
- Formula: Enchant Bracer - Minor Strength — Auction House
- Formula: Enchant Cloak - Minor Agility — Auction House
- Formula: Enchant Bracer - Lesser Strength — Sold by Dalria in Astranaar, Ashenvale (Alliance) and Kulwia in Sunrock Retreat, Stonetalon Mountains (Horde)
- Formula: Lesser Wizard Oil — Sold by Enchanting Supplies vendors next to Enchanting Trainers.
- Formula: Enchant Bracer - Greater Stamina — Auction House
- Formula: Enchant Shield - Greater Stamina — Sold by Mythrin'dir in Darnassus (Alliance) and Daniel Bartlett in Undercity (Horde).
- Formula: Enchant Cloak - Superior Defense — Sold by Lorelae Wintersong in Moonglade.
- Formula: Runed Arcanite Rod — Sold by Lorelae Wintersong in Moonglade.
- Formula: Enchant Bracer - Superior Stamina (if you go with the 355 Illusion Dust route) — Auction House
- Formula: Enchant Shield - Major Stamina — Sold by Madame Ruby, at Lower City in Shattrath.
- Formula: Runed Adamantite Rod — Sold by Vodesiin in Temple of Telhamat, Hellfire Peninsula (Alliance) and Rungor in Stonebreaker Hold, Terokkar Forest (Horde).
- Formula: Enchant Boots - Greater Assault — Sold by Vanessa Sellers for 4 Dream Shard in Dalaran.
- Formula: Enchant Cloak - Mighty Armor — Sold by Vanessa Sellers for 4 Dream Shard in Dalaran.
After acquiring the materials and formulas above, the Enchanting trainers in the major cities of each faction are waiting for you to come by and start Enchanting.
In the following training path, “Learn” means to learn that skill from an Enchanting trainer while “Use” means that the skill is learned from an Enchanting formula.
1-75 Skill (Apprentice):
Move to one of the Enchanting trainers in the major cities of your faction and learn Enchanting.
- Skill Level 1 — Runed Copper Rod for 1 Strange Dust, 1 Lesser Magic Essence, and 1 Copper Rod.
- Skill levels 2-15 — Enchant Bracer - Minor Health for 1 Strange Dust.
- Skill Levels 15-70 — Learn Enchant Chest - Minor Health. Enchant chest for 1 Strange Dust.
70-135 Skill (Journeyman):
Learn Journeyman Enchanting from the Enchanting trainer.
- Skill Levels 70-100 — Learn Enchant Bracer - Minor Stamina. Enchant bracers for 3 Strange Dusts.
- Skill Level 100 — Learn Runed Silver Rod. Craft it for 6 Strange Dust, 1 Silver Rod, 3 Greater Magic Essence, and 1 Shadowgem.
- Skill Levels 101-105 — Use Formula: Enchant Bracer - Minor Strength. Enchant bracers for 5 Strange Dust
- Skill Levels 105-110 — Learn Enchant Shield - Minor Stamina. Enchant shield for 1 Lesser Astral Essence and 2 Strange Dust.
- Skill Levels 110-135 — Use Formula: Enchant Cloak - Minor Agility. Enchant cloak for 1 Lesser Astral Essence.
135-205 Skill (Expert)
Learn Expert Enchanting from the Enchanting trainer.
- Skill Levels 135-155 — Learn Enchant Bracer - Lesser Stamina. Enchant bracers for 2 Soul Dust.
- Skill Levels 155-165 — Use Formula: Enchant Bracer - Lesser Strength. Enchant bracers for 2 Soul Dust.
- Skill Level 165 — Learn Runed Golden Rod. Craft it with 1 Golden Rod, 1 Iridescent Pearl, 2 Greater Astral Essence, and 2 Soul Dust.
- Skill Levels 166-180 — Learn Enchant Chest - Greater Health. Enchant chest for 3 Soul Dust.
- Skill Levels 180-200 — Learn Enchant Bracer - Strength. Enchant bracers for 1 Vision Dust.
- Skill Levels 200-205 — Use Formula: Lesser Wizard Oil. Craft them for 3 Vision Dust, 2 Stranglethorn Seed, and 1 Leaded Vial.
205-300 Skill (Artisan)
Learn Artisan Enchanting from the Enchanting trainer.
- Skill Level 205 — Learn Runed Truesilver Rod. Craft it for 1 Truesilver Rod, 1 Black Pearl, 2 Greater Mystic Essence, and 2 Vision Dust.
- Skill Levels 206-225 — Learn Enchant Cloak - Greater Defense. Enchant cloak for 3 Vision Dust.
- Skill Levels 225-235 — Learn Enchant Boots - Stamina. Enchant boots for 5 Vision Dust.
- Skill Levels 235-240 — Learn Enchant Chest - Superior Health. Enchant chest for 6 Vision Dust.
- Skill Levels 240-245 — Learn Enchant Gloves - Strength. Enchant gloves for 2 Lesser Nether Essence and 3 Vision Dust.
- Skill Levels 245-265 — Use Formula: Enchant Bracer - Greater Stamina. Enchant bracers for 5 Dream Dust.
- Skill Levels 265-285 — Use Formula: Enchant Shield - Greater Stamina. Enchant shield for 10 Dream Dust.
- Skill Levels 285-300 — Use Formula: Enchant Cloak - Superior Defense. Enchant cloak for 8 Illusion Dust.
Congratulations, you are now an Artisan Enchanter! Move to one of the Outland Enchanting trainers.
300-351 Skill (Master)
Learn Master Enchanting from your Enchanting trainer.
- Skill Levels 300-305 — Learn Enchant Cloak - Superior Defense. Enchant cloak for 8 Illusion Dust.
- Skill Level 305 — Use Formula: Runed Arcanite Rod. Craft it for 1 Arcanite Rod, 1 Golden Pearl, 2 Large Brilliant Shard, 10 Illusion Dust, and 4 Greater Eternal Essence.
- Skill Level 306 — Learn Runed Fel Iron Rod. Craft it for 1 Fel Iron Rod, 4 Greater Eternal Essences, and 6 Large Brilliant Shard.
- Skill Levels 307-320 — If you have chosen to go with the 355x Illusion Dust and 295x Arcane Dust option, use Formula: Enchant Bracer - Superior Stamina. Enchant bracers for 15 Illusion Dust.
- Skill Levels 307-315 — If you have chosen to go with the 160x Illusion Dust and 383x Arcane Dust option, learn Enchant Bracer - Brawn. Enchant bracers for 6 Arcane Dust.
- Skill Levels 315-320 — Learn Enchant Gloves - Assault and Enchant Cloak - Major Armor. Enchant either of these for 8 Arcane Dust.
- Skill Levels 320-325 — Learn Enchant Chest - Major Spirit. Enchant chest for 2 Greater Planar Essence.
- Skill Levels 325-335 — Use Formula: Enchant Shield - Major Stamina. Enchant shield for 15 Arcane Dust.
- Skill Levels 335-340 — Learn Enchant Shield - Resilience. Enchant shield for 1 Large Prismatic Shard and 4 Lesser Planar Essence.
- Levels 340-350 — Learn Enchant Gloves - Major Strength. Enchant gloves for 1 Greater Planar Essence and 12 Arcane Dust.
- Skill Levels 350-351 — Use Formula: Runed Adamantite Rod. Craft it for 1 Adamantite Rod, 1 Primal Might, 8 Large Prismatic Shard, and 8 Greater Planar Essence.
351-450 Skill (Grand Master)
Learn Grand Master Enchanting from your Enchanting trainer. From this point on, the guide will shift to using WotLK materials. If you want to level Enchanting to 375 with TBC materials, check out our TBC Enchanting Guide.
- Skill Levels 351-360 — Learn Enchant Cloak - Speed. Enchant cloak for 6 Infinite Dust.
- Skill Levels 360-370 — Learn Enchant Bracers - Striking. Enchant bracers for 6 Infinite Dust.
- Skill Levels 370-375 — Learn Enchant Chest - Super Stats. Enchant chest for 4 Infinite Dust and 2 Lesser Cosmic Essence.
- Skill Levels 375-376 — Learn Formula: Runed Eternium Rod. Craft it for 1 Eternium Rod, 6 Greater Planar Essence, and 6 Arcane Dust.
- Skill Levels 376-385 — Learn Enchant Bracers - Exceptional Intellect. Enchant bracers for 10 Infinite Dust.
- Skill Levels 385-395 — Learn Enchant Boots - Icewalker. Enchant boots for 8 Infinite Dust and 1 Crystallized Water.
- Skill Levels 395-405 — Learn Enchant Cloak - Superior Agility. Enchant cloak for 9 Infinite Dust.
- Skill Levels 405-415 — Learn Enchant Gloves - Expertise. Enchant gloves for 12 Infinite Dust.
- Skill Levels 415-420 — Learn Enchant Gloves - Precision. Enchant gloves for 4 Greater Cosmic Essence.
- Skill Levels 420-430 — Learn Enchant Chest - Greater Mana Restoration. Enchant chest for 4 Infinite Dust and 4 Greater Cosmic Essence.
- Skill Levels 430-431 — Learn Runed Titanium Rod. Craft it for 1 Titanium Rod, 40 Infinite Dust, 12 Greater Cosmic Essence, 8 Dream Shard.
- Skill Levels 431-440 — Use Formula: Enchant Cloak - Mighty Armor. Enchant cloak for 15 Infinite Dust and 2 Greater Cosmic Essence.
- Skill Levels 440-450 — Use Formula: Enchant Boots - Greater Assault. Enchant boots for 4 Greater Cosmic Essence and 4 Dream Shard.
Congratulations! You are now a Grand Master Enchanter! You now have the skill to learn all enchants and the enchanting rod to apply them in WotLK Classic.
Vellums made with Inscription can be used to hold enchants, which can then be traded on the Auction House. This eliminates the need for Enchanters to stand in Major Cities, trying to sell their enchants while being physically present. There are two types of Vellums: Armor Vellums and Weapon Vellums. The lowest Vellums, Armor Vellum and Weapon Vellum can hold the Vanilla enchants. Armor Vellum II and Weapon Vellum II hold most Burning Crusade enchants. Finally, Armor Vellum III and Weapon Vellum III are used for Wrath of the Lich King Enchants. The determining factor of which Vellum needs to be used is the level of the enchant. However, higher level Vellums can also be used for lower level enchants.
Rare Recipes and Most Sought-After Enchants in WotLK Classic
Most of the important enchanting formulas are sold by Vanessa Sellers in Dalaran for Dream Shards, while some are dropped by mobs. For a complete list of valuable TBC formulas and enchants, check out the TBC Enchanting Guide instead.
Formulae from Enemy Drops
|Formula: Enchant Gloves - Angler||Indu'le Fisherman, Indu'le Warrior, and Indu'le Mystic — Dragonblight|
|Formula: Enchant Cloak - Superior Arcane Resistance||Cult Researcher and Frostbrood Spawn — Icecrown|
|Formula: Enchant Cloak - Superior Fire Resistance||Skeletal Runesmith — Icecrown|
|Formula: Enchant Cloak - Superior Frost Resistance||Damned Apothecary — Icecrown|
|Formula: Enchant Cloak - Superior Nature Resistance||Cult Alchemist — Icecrown|
|Formula: Enchant Cloak - Superior Shadow Resistance||Cultist Shard Watcher — Icecrown|
|Formula: Enchant Weapon - Blood Draining||Bosses in Ulduar|
|Formula: Enchant Weapon - Blade Ward||Bosses in Ulduar|
Enchanting is just one of the many professions you may choose to level in Wrath of the Lich King Classic. To learn more about the other options available, we recommend checking out our overviews of all professions and their unique bonuses below.
- 09 Oct. 2023: Reviewed for Phase 4
- 07 Sep. 2022: Page added.
- Season of Discovery Global Launch Times: When Does the Update Go Live?
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Honor Decay Removed In Season of Discovery and Classic Era
- Season of Discovery Launch Times
- Season of Discovery Will Launch With Fewer Realms
- Icecrown Citadel Player Buff Coming Early December
- Battle.net Black Friday Sale: Up to 67% Off
- Blizzard Explain Why Classic Hardcore Servers Are Down Longer