Kologarn Encounter Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
Overview of Kologarn in Wrath of the Lich King Classic
Kologarn is a unique encounter, with multiple hostile body parts and their abilities and health pools. This fight involves a balance of keeping his arms in check while trying to burn down his Torso, which is the main enemy of the fight. Kologarn can not be moved, preventing melee DPS from attacking him from behind. Melee players need to be aware that there is no invisible wall to prevent them from walking off the edge where the boss is located. Once defeated, Kologarns' Torso will form the path forwards. There is no hard mode available for this encounter.
Role-Specific Tips for Kologarn
- Melee DPS must be aware of their position and avoid falling off the ledge in front of them, as there is no invisible wall to prevent you from walking off.
- Ranged DPS should quickly swap over to AoE the Rubble packs once the tank has established threat. Melee DPS will want to ignore these and continue damaging the boss.
- Ranged DPS needs to stay spread out to prevent Focused Eyebeam from running over multiple players while it is being kited.
- Prioritize healing the targets of Stone Grip as they will take great damage every second till the grip is broken.
- Tanks will receive large hits when they have high stacks of either Crunch Armor or Stone Nova; be ready with big heals during these windows.
- Stay spread out to prevent Focused Eyebeam from running over multiple players while it is being kited.
- The tank assigned to tanking Kologarn first must be the first person into the fight and must keep threat. If a melee pulls aggro, they will instantly die, and if a ranged pulls aggro, Kologarn will cast Petrifying Breath, wiping the raid.
- Be mindful of using AoE taunts to gather the Rubble if you are near Kologarns' Torso, as this will cause him to cast Petrifying Breath if your AoE taunt hits him and you are not in his melee attack range.
- Be ready with personal defensive cooldowns when
- You will want to tank swap after you get 2 Crunch Armor debuffs. Make sure to wait out your Stone Nova debuffs before taunting if you just finished tanking the Rubble.
Kologarn Encounter Abilities
Arm and Add Abilities
Strategy for Kologarn
This fight is about controlling your damage to the boss's arms and Torso. Sometimes you may need to swap directly to an arm to kill it faster; other times, simply cleaving it down will suffice. Each time an Arm is killed, 5 Rubble will spawn. Whichever tank is not currently tanking Kologarn needs to grab these adds quickly and drag them away from the raid. The ranged DPS will then need to swap over and AoE them down. Usually, you will only want to kill one Arm at a time, as dealing with too many Rubble at once can quickly overwhelm even the best-geared tanks.
Each time one of Kologarns' Arms are destroyed, his Torso will take damage equal to 15% of his maximum health. This makes killing the arms only slightly slower than directly attacking the Torso.
Your main target of the fight is the Right Arm to prevent the deadly Stone Grip ability. Whenever the Right Arm is alive, make sure you are prioritizing your damage to it. The Left Arm is much less threatening as Shockwave is not nearly as dangerous. Focus down the Right Arm first whenever it is alive, then focus damage into the Torso. Let the Left Arm die over time to cleave and swap to it when it is low, and you have a tank free to pick up the Rubble that spawns.
Kologarn 10-Player Loot
|Mark of the Unyielding||Neck|
|Pendant of the Piercing Glare||Neck|
|Shoulderguards of the Solemn Watch||Plate Shoulder|
|Shawl of the Shattered Giant||Back|
|Greaves of the Earthbinder||Mail Feet|
|Sabatons of the Iron Watcher||Plate Feet|
|Emerald Signet Ring||Finger|
|Spark of Hope||Trinket|
|Stoneguard||One Hand Sword|
|Spire of Withering Dreams||Staff|
Kologarn 25-Player Loot
|Necklace of Unerring Mettle||Neck|
|Shoulderpads of the Monolith||Leather Shoulder|
|Robes of the Umbral Brute||Cloth Chest|
|Bracers of Unleashed Magic||Cloth Wrist|
|Decimator's Armguards||Plate Wrist|
|Unfaltering Armguards||Plate Wrist|
|Handwraps of Plentiful Recovery||Cloth Hands|
|Gloves of the Pythonic Guardian||Plate Hands|
|Leggings of the Stoneweaver||Mail Legs|
|Saronite Plated Legguards||Plate Legs|
|Malice||One Hand Sword|
|Idol of the Crying Wind||Relic|
|Fragment of Val'anyr||Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings|
Kologarn is just one of the 14 encounters present in the Ulduar raid of Wrath of the Lich King Classic. If you would like to learn more about the other fights and their respective loot, please see our Ulduar Raid Hub page below.
- 18 Jan. 2023: Page added.
- Nightmarish Emerald Drake Briefly Appears on Wrath Classic 3.4.3 PTR
- A New Round of Layoffs at Blizzard
- Extremely Dramatic Mass-Death in Classic Hardcore Zul'Gurub
- Classic Hardcore First Month Death Clip Compilation
- Level 50 Hardcore Character Killed by Level 6 Mobs
- Hardcore Bank Alts Griefed in Capital Cities by Spawning Mobs
- Blizzard Working on Fixing EU Hardcore Server Lag, But Be Careful
- Classic Era Known Issues List: A Deadly Ouro Bug