WotLK Classic Leatherworking Profession and Leveling 1-450 Guide
Leatherworking offers many different gear options throughout all Phases of Wrath of the Lich King Classic. In addition to gear, it is a great raiding profession for the various party and raid-wide drum buffs it can offer. In this guide, we will show you all the different gear available to Leatherworkers, how to train the profession, unlock its different specializations, and many other things.
Leatherworking is most commonly used by both Leather and Mail wearers as the gear crafted through it is very strong, especially in the early gearing process. In addition to the gear that players can make, Leatherworking offers other unique benefits and buffs, further enhancing your capabilities in raids.
Leatherworking is best combined with Skinning, as this will allow you to farm many of the needed materials yourself. It is highly recommended to have Skinning when increasing your Leatherworking skill level, even if it is on an alt character. It takes a rather large quantity of leather to finish this profession off, so being able to farm some of it can greatly help with reducing your gold spent on the auction house.
Training Leatherworking in Wrath of the Lich King
Apprentice & Artisan
You can learn Leatherworking from any Leatherworking trainer, which are found in capital cities. When you arrive at a major city, you can ask any city guard for directions and pick the Leatherworking trainer option under the professions section. This will mark its location on your map, allowing you to easily find them and get the Leatherworking skill.
To train past 300 skill level, you need to speak with a Master Leatherworking trainer in either Outland or Northrend. This will allow you to train up to level 375 Leatherworking.
To learn Leatherworking past 375 skill level you must travel to Northrend and talk with a Grand Master Leatherworking trainer found below. This will allow you to max your Leatherworking skill out at 450.
- Rosemary Bovard in Borean Tundra;
- Bernadette Dexter in Howling Fjord.
- Awan Iceborn in Borean Tundra;
- Gunter Hansen in Howling Fjord.
- Diane Cannings in Dalaran City.
Estimated Leatherworking Materials Needed in Wrath of the Lich King
Below is a "quick shopping list" of materials needed to level Leatherworking up. This list is just an estimation, not an exact amount. Depending on your luck when crafting you may need more or less materials than are listed here.
Vanilla & TBC
- 300 x Light Leather
- 12 x Light Hide
- 25 x Medium Hide
- 10 x Heavy Hide
- 370 x Heavy Leather
- 440 x Thick Leather
- 460 x Rugged Leather
- 100 x Knothide Leather Scraps
- 1,200 x Knothide Leather
- 240 x Borean Leather Scraps
- 900 x Borean Leather
- 60 x Crystallized Water
- 5 x Eternal Air
- 40 x Arctic Fur
- 40 x Icy Dragonscale or Nerubian Chitin
- 20 x Frozen Orb
Leveling Leatherworking in Azeroth (1-300)
Leveling Leatherworking in Outland (300-375)
|Skill Level||Item to Craft||Materials|
|300-310||Knothide Leather||5 x Knothide Leather Scraps|
|310-325||Knothide Armor Kit||4 x Knothide Leather|
|325-335||Heavy Knothide Leather||5 x Knothide Leather|
|335-350||Thick Draenic Vest||
|350-365||Heavy Knothide Armor Kit||3 x Heavy Knothide Leather|
Note that skill-ups 350-365 are optional and can be skipped if Northrend leather is cheaper. If you have extra leather from Outland or find this leather is cheaper on your server, go all the way to 365 skill level with Heavy Knothide Armor Kits before heading to Northrend. Glove Reinforcements is also an alternative, more expensive choice, but you will be able to sell the item and make some of the cost back.
Leveling Leatherworking in Northrend (350-450)
Be sure to head to a Grand Master Leatherworking trainer in Northrend as shown above to unlock Grand Master Leatherworking, allowing you to max out your Leatherworking at 450 skill level.
|Skill Level||Item to Craft||Materials|
|350-375||Borean Leather||5 x Borean Leather Scraps|
|375-380||Borean Armor Kit||4 x Borean Leather|
|380-385||Arctic Boots||8 x Borean Leather|
|385-390||Arctic Belt||10 x Borean Leather|
|390-405||Heavy Borean Leather||6 x Borean Leather|
|405-410||Arctic Wristguards||12 x Borean Leather|
|410-420||Dark Frostscale Leggings|
|425-440||Frosthide Leg Armor (note)||
|425-440||Icescale Leg Armor (note)||
Additional Crafting Notes
The following information is here to provide further context to the guidance given in the table above:
- 425-440 — You will want to make a mixture of these depending on material cost and selling price. These will remain Green until 445, so you can choose to continue to make these until you reach level 445.
- 440-450 — You will want to make any of the end-game
Epic patterns at this point until
you reach skill level 450. We recommended that you try to craft these for
friends, guild members and through trade chat for free to greatly reduce the
amount of gold you need to spend on leveling your Leatherworking.
- Out of all of the available Epics, the most likely to be crafted and sell are the cloaks. Both Ice Striker's Cloak and Durable Nerubhide Cape are good options that will sell easily, and plenty of people will want you to make them.
Leatherworking Specializations in Wrath of the Lich King
While Leatherworking specializations still exist in WotLK, they are made irrelevant and are no longer needed.
Leatherworking Profession Bonus in Wrath of the Lich King
Leatherworking offers the ability to craft some great end-game gear as well as powerful bracer enchants. These enchants will be lost if you get rid of Leatherworking.
- Fur Lining - Attack Power — 80 Attack Power more than Enchant Bracers - Greater Assault
- Fur Lining - Spell Power — 46 Spell Power more than Enchant Bracers - Superior Spellpower
- Fur Lining - Stamina — 62 Stamina more than Enchant Bracers - Major Stamina
Leatherworking Resistance Enchants
- Fur Lining - Arcane Resist — 70 Arcane Resistance
- Fur Lining - Fire Resist — 70 Fire Resistance
- Fur Lining - Frost Resist — 70 Frost Resistance
- Fur Lining - Nature Resist — 70 Nature Resistance
- Fur Lining - Shadow Resist — 70 Shadow Resistance
Leatherworking is just one of the many professions you may choose to level in Wrath of the Lich King Classic. To learn more about the other options available, we recommend checking out our overviews of all professions and their unique bonuses below.
- 13 Sep. 2022: Page added.
- Chinese Realm "Region Unavailable" Messages Appeared for EU Players
- Changes to Death Knight Character Creation Restrictions Coming
- Free Character Transfers in Wrath Classic: March 3rd
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: March 1st
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 24th
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 21st
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 16th
- Season of Mastery Realms Closing This Week, Transfers Open