WotLK Classic Protection Paladin Spell Summary
On this page, we present you with all spells and procs that you need to understand as a Protection Paladin in WotLK Classic.
Protection Paladin Utility Spells in Wrath of the Lich King Classic
Paladins have a number of spell types available to them in WotLK Classic, mainly due to their ability to provide a number of utility buffs via their blessings and auras, as well as the numerous seals they use.
Protection Paladin Blessings
Paladins offer unique buffs called blessings. There are four different blessing buffs in the game, each having a situational use and all of them having very powerful effects. You can only have one active blessing per Paladin, so you would need four total Paladins to cover every buff. For each Blessing, there is the normal version and the greater version, such as Blessing of Might and Greater Blessing of Might. Both versions give the exact same buff, but the greater version will cast on all members of the targeted class in the raid. In addition, the greater version lasts 60 minutes, whereas the normal version only lasts 10 minutes. Greater blessings do, however, require a reagent to cast.
Some Blessings also have talents that can improve them. Greater Blessing of Might, for instance, has Improved Blessing of Might in the Retribution talent tree. If you are in charge of using a specific blessing, it is important to consider if you have the improved version talented.
- Greater Blessing of Might: a buff that gives Attack Power.
- Greater Blessing of Wisdom: a buff that gives Mana regeneration in the form of Mp5.
- Greater Blessing of Kings: a buff that increases your primary stats by 10%.
- Blessing of Sanctuary: a buff that increases Strength and Stamina by 10% as well as reducing all incoming damage by 3% and returning a small amount of Mana after dodging/blocking/parrying.
Paladin auras offer many situationally useful buffs to party members. Paladins can only have one aura active at a time and have a somewhat short range (30 yards), but they can be extremely strong in specific situations.
Like blessings, there are improved versions of some auras. If you know that you will be using a specific aura in a raid, it can be very worthwhile to spend the talent points on its improved version, such as Improved Devotion Aura.
- Retribution Aura: an aura that causes you to reflect some Holy damage back when attacked.
- Devotion Aura: an aura that gives Armor.
- Concentration Aura: an aura that gives a chance for anyone casting to avoid pushback when they take damage.
- Shadow Resistance Aura: an aura that gives Shadow Resistance.
- Frost Resistance Aura: an aura that gives Frost Resistance.
- Fire Resistance Aura: an aura that gives Fire Resistance.
- Crusader Aura: increases your mounted movement speed by 20%.
- Seal of Justice — Your attacks have a low percentage chance to stun the target you are attacking.
- Seal of Vengeance — Your attacks will apply a stacking debuff and Holy damage based off your weapon damage. This debuff stacks up to 5 times and when fully stacked and will greatly increase your damage against the target, your Judgement abilities will deal 10% more damage per stack of the debuff.
- Seal of Righteousness — Causes you to deal a flat amount of additional Holy damage per attack, and when unleashed will deal a burst of Holy damage to the target.
- Seal of Command will cause your attacks to gain a cleave component dealing Holy damage to up to 3 targets.
- Seal of Light — causes your attacks to heal you for a scaling amount based off of your Spell Power/Attack Power.
- Seal of Wisdom — Your attacks have a chance to grant you back 4% of your maximum Mana.
Protection Paladin Cooldowns in Wrath of the Lich King Classic
- Hand of Freedom — Makes the target immune to roots and other movement impairing effects for 10 seconds.
- Divine Protection — Reduces all incoming damage by 50% for 12 seconds but causes Forbearance.
- Hand of Protection — A shield that causes your target to be immune to all Physical attacks for 10 seconds, but they cannot attack during that time. This also procs a 1-minute debuff that makes you unable to cast your other immunities during that time.
- Divine Intervention — You sacrifice yourself to place a 2-minute shield on a target, making them invulnerable, but unable to move or use abilities while inside the shield. This is mainly used as a wipe recovery tool in raids to ensure someone will stay alive.
- Divine Sacrifice — A powerful raid cooldown that will redirect a percentage of the group's incoming damage to the Paladin, this effect will automatically cancel if the Paladin goes below 20% health, but it can kill you.
- Divine Shield — A shield that causes you to be immune to all attacks and spells for 12 seconds and slows your attack speed drastically while the shield is active. This also procs a 1-minute debuff that makes you unable to cast your other immunities during that time.
- Lay on Hands — Instantly heals your target for a massive amount and gives them some Mana, but drains all of your Mana.
- Hand of Sacrifice — A 30-second buff that transfers some of the damage taken by the target to you while active.
- Avenging Wrath — A 20-second buff that increases the damage dealt by the Paladin by 30% for 20 seconds. This also procs a 1-minute debuff that makes you unable to cast you other immunities during that time.
- Holy Light — A strong heal with a longer cast time and a higher Mana cost.
- Flash of Light — A fast, efficient heal that does less but has a lower Mana cost.
- Avenger's Shield: an instant cast that deals Holy damage and dazes enemies, jumping to additional nearby enemies of your target and can hit 3 total targets.
- Hand of Reckoning: Taunts a single mob for 3 seconds.
- Hammer of the Righteous: Deals damage based off of your weapon's DPS, hitting up to three enemy targets.
- Shield of Righteousness: Deals damage to your target based off of your Block value.
- Divine Plea: A short cooldown ability that will grant you 25% of your Mana back over the course of 15 seconds.
- Righteous Defense: Redirect threat off of a friendly target, taunting up to 3 mobs off of a party member.
- Judgement of Wisdom: Applies a debuff to the target giving anyone who attacks it a chance to gain 2% of their maximum Mana.
- Judgement of Light: Applies a debuff to the target giving anyone who attacks it a chance to gain 2% of their maximum health.
- Purify: Cleanses the target, removing 1 Disease and 1 Poison effect.
- Righteous Fury: Increases your threat generation when toggled.
- Sense Undead: Tracks all nearby Undead, putting them on your minimap.
- Cleanse: Cleanses the target, removing 1 Disease, 1 Poison, and 1 Magic effect.
- Turn Evil: Fears an Undead or Demon target.
- Hammer of Justice: Stuns the target for 6 seconds on a 1-minute cooldown.
- Consecration: Drops a zone of Holy energy beneath you, dealing Holy damage every second for 8 seconds to any enemy standing in it.
- Exorcism: Deals a burst of Holy damage to a target but will always crit against Undead and Demon enemies.
- Hammer of Wrath: Deals a burst of Holy damage to low health targets.
- Holy Shield: Increases your chance to block and causes you to deal Holy damage on blocks.
- Holy Wrath: Deals an AoE burst of Holy damage to any Undead or Demon target nearby.
- Redemption: A 10-second cast that will resurrect a friendly, dead player as long as you are not in combat.
- Summon Warhorse: Paladins get class mounts, which means you can learn this at Level 30 for a free mount. This is extremely useful early on since you are guaranteed while leveling and will not need to worry about saving 100 .
- Summon Charger: This is your Level 60 mount and will be cheaper to get than the standard Epic mount. You will need to complete a longer quest with some expensive materials to get this mount.
- 18 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Phase 2 release ahead of Ulduar raid release.
- 01 Sep. 2022: Page added.
- Season of Discovery Global Launch Times: When Does the Update Go Live?
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Honor Decay Removed In Season of Discovery and Classic Era
- Season of Discovery Launch Times
- Season of Discovery Will Launch With Fewer Realms
- Icecrown Citadel Player Buff Coming Early December
- Battle.net Black Friday Sale: Up to 67% Off
- Blizzard Explain Why Classic Hardcore Servers Are Down Longer