Retribution Paladin Leveling Guide From 1 to 80 for WotLK Classic
On this page, you will find our Level by Level Retribution Paladin leveling guide for Wrath Classic. Make sure to use the slider to make the guide adapt to your level.
Level by Level Rotation, Talents, and Trainer Skills
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Leveling Talent Tree & Build
Your first talent unlocks at Level 10.
- Levels 10 to 14 — 5 points in Benediction
- Levels 15 & 16 — 2 points in Improved Judgements
- Levels 17 to 19 — 3 points in Heart of the Crusader
Benediction reduces the cost of your Seals and Judgement abilities which consume most of your Mana and it will lessen your downtime considerably. Improved Judgements reduces the cooldown of your Judgement ability which is a large portion of your damage throughout the entire leveling process.
- Level 20 — 1 point in Seal of Command
- Levels 21 & 22 — 2 points in Pursuit of Justice
- Level 23 & 24 — 2 point in Conviction
- Levels 25 to 27 — 3 points in Crusade
- Levels 28 & 29 — 2 points in Conviction
Seal of Command is the seal you will primarily use while leveling. Pursuit of Justice both adds survivability by reducing the chance you will be hit and increases your movement speed, which adds up quickly as you spend time running throughout the world. Conviction increases your damage as it grants you crit with melee weapons and unlocks a much stronger talent later. Crusade is a flat damage increase against most mob types you will encounter while leveling.
- Level 30 — 1 point in Sanctified Retribution
- Levels 31 to 33 — 3 points in Two-Handed Weapon Specialization
- Levels 34 — 1 point in Conviction
- Levels 35 to 37 — 3 points in Vengeance
- Level 38 & 39 — 2 points in Divine Purpose
Sanctified Retribution is a flat damage increase not only for the Paladin but anyone affected by their auras. Two-Handed Weapon Specialization is a flat damage increase to your damage when using a two-handed weapon, which you will be using almost exclusively while leveling.
- Level 40 to 42 — 3 points in Judgements of the Wise
- Level 43 — 1 point in Repentance
- Level 44 & 45 — 2 points in The Art of War
- Level 46 to 48 — 3 points in Fanaticism
- Level 49 — 1 point in Sanctified Wrath
Repentance is a powerful crowd control ability that can help both in emergencies in combat and preemptively to lessen the amount of mobs you have to fight at once. Fanaticism greatly increases the chance of your Judgement spell critting; these crits helping maintain Vengeance uptime.
- Level 50 — 1 point in Crusader Strike
- Levels 51 to 53 — 3 points in Sanctity of Battle
- Levels 54 & 55 — 2 points in Sheath of Light
- Levels 56 to 58 — 3 points in Righteous Vengeance
- Level 59 — 1 point in Sheath of Light
Crusader Strike is a powerful ability that will help fill your downtime in between damaging abilities. Sanctity of Battle increases your crit chance, again synergizing with the powerful buff, Vengeance.
- Level 60 — 1 point in Divine Storm
- Levels 61 to 63 — 3 points in Swift Retribution
- Levels 64 & 65 — 2 point in Improved Blessing of Might
- Level 66 — 1 points in Sanctified Wrath
- Levels 67 to 69 — 3 points in Divine Strength
Divine Storm becomes one of your strongest abilities in both single-target and against multiple mobs while also adding another button to press during windows where no other spell is off cooldown.
- Level 70 & 71 — 2 points in Divine Strength
- Levels 72 to 76 — 5 point in Seals of the Pure
- Level 77 & 78 — — 2 points in Guardian's Favor
- Level 79 & 80 — — 2 points in Healing Light
Finally, you can dump the remaining points into the Holy and Protection trees. Divine Strength and Seals of the Pure are both critically important as damage talents, but the final 4 points are more personal choice for your quality of life. Healing Light especially is a good choice since it will help minimize downtime while leveling by increasing your healing.
- Keep Seal of Righteousness up.
- Keep up either Seal of Righteousness or Seal of Command, depending on which one you should be using. Use Consecration on cooldown for more than 1 target, if you have the Mana.
- Use either of your Judgement abilities on cooldown.
- Use Hammer of Wrath on cooldown.
- Use Crusader Strike on cooldown.
- Use Divine Storm on cooldown.
List of Trainer Skills to Buy
It is important to buy all abilities as you level as they are cheap and Paladins have quite a few abilities that are extremely powerful in certain situations and you never know when you will need them.
Retribution Paladin Macros and Addons
By setting up a user interface and macros early on you will greatly improve the quality of your leveling experience. Check out the Retribution Paladin Macros and Addons guides in the link below for the full list.
How to Continue to Improve your Retribution Paladin at Level 80
Some of the most relevant pages to dive deeper into are:
- The Retribution Paladin Talent builds guide offers a default build to maximize your damage output as a Retribution Paladin;
- Our Retribution Paladin Rotation guide teaches you how to actually deal damage in a variety of situations. It also includes tips on how to utilize your cooldowns and utility.
- Check out the Retribution Paladin Stats guide if you would like to learn how each stat affects your survivability and threat;
- The Gear guide for Retribution Paladin includes a list of gear to for you to acquire and where to find it;
- 31 Aug. 2022: Page added.
- Wrath Classic Patch 3.4.1 Notes
- Wrath Classic Phase 2 Launching on January 17th
- Naxxramas Achievement Rewards to Remain Available Throughout Wrath Classic
- Patch 3.4.1 PTR Development Notes: January 6th
- Summon Gargoyle Changes on the Wrath Classic PTR
- Ahead of the Curve and Cutting Edge Achievements Coming to Wrath Classic
- No Changes Planned for Ulduar Tier Sets Beyond 6 Item Level Bump
- Wrath Classic Season 1 Ends January 9th