L0rinda

hearthstone Card Reveals: Babbling Book and Malchezaar's Imp

14 posts in this topic

nmT7jUv.jpg

Spoiler season for One Night in Karazhan is underway, with the first two cards since the launch stream being revealed by PCGames China, and Hearthstone Japan Twitter.

The first two to be revealed were Babbling Book and Malchezaar's Imp.

hyV9ylB.png

Babbling Book doesn't seem to have the stats to work well as a turn one minion. Rather than a random spell, you could simply play the spell you wanted in the first place in your deck in place of the Book. 

Malchezaar's Imp has imp-lications for Zoo decks. A 1/3 is a good shape to be buffed by cards like Abusive Sergeant, and ties in with the idea of Zoo playing sticky minions. It also has obvious synergy with Soulfire and Doomguard. It is definitely a card to try out. There is also the potential for a discard deck to become a new archetype, but that will require a lot of testing and building before we can judge.

What do you think of the new cards? Feel free to comment below.

1 person likes this

Discarding a card for drawing a card... hm, where have I seen this before?

*COUGH COUGH* Darkshire Librarian *COUGH COUGH*

And as for discard decks-although the concept is cool-the cost of discarding cards means that you could potentially discard valuable discard-synergy cards. I think discard decks are too risky to fit in the meta.

Discard zoo finally viable in standard? Either way, looks like this adventure will be full of cards for niche decks, and I am looking forward to it.

I strongly despise that discard mechanic. The second I see it on a new card my mind just goes 'nope, poop!'.

1 hour ago, PaasHaaS said:

I strongly despise that discard mechanic. The second I see it on a new card my mind just goes 'nope, poop!'.

I can strongly agree on this one, discarding cards seems plain wrong to do.

Even when playing with all the upsides of discarding (getting buffs, the random 4 dmg card, charging, overpowered minion on turn 2) it's not worth it.

Same as the felguard's 'remove 1 mana gem' it brings chills to my spine...

Book looks interesting. It could certainly be put to good use in a mage Freeze deck to get more fuel to control and stall while you wait for Alex/circumvent her entirely and nuke your opponent down.

You don't usually have to care about discarding a card, since in discard zoo, it will usually be a small, needless minion, such as Argent SquirePossessed Villager or even Fist of Jaraxxus. The main disadvantage of discarding in discard zoo decks was that you ran out of steam pretty quickly, which won't be that problematic anymore.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Keizoku said:

Book looks interesting. It could certainly be put to good use in a mage Freeze deck to get more fuel to control and stall while you wait for Alex/circumvent her entirely and nuke your opponent down.

In that case, why not just play a useful spell instead? With Babbling Book there is a good chance to get some ... crap. If at least it were 'Discover a mage spell'.

Edited by Kobal
1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Keizoku said:

There was a tweet from RDU that sums up my feelings about the book:

Placeholder for tweet 759400426781499392
3 hours ago, positiv2 said:

You don't usually have to care about discarding a card, since in discard zoo, it will usually be a small, needless minion, such as Argent SquirePossessed Villager or even Fist of Jaraxxus. The main disadvantage of discarding in discard zoo decks was that you ran out of steam pretty quickly, which won't be that problematic anymore.

Definitely excited to see if we get discard zoo back in. Anything that brings new decks to light or old ones back in makes me happy. 

3 hours ago, positiv2 said:

Talking about Fist of Jaraxxus, Doomguard discarding 2 fists amounts to 13 face damage on an empty board.

And before you say that it's unreliable, go tell it to the guy that pulled that off on me.

24 minutes ago, Kokuendan said:

Talking about Fist of Jaraxxus, Doomguard discarding 2 fists amounts to 13 face damage on an empty board.

And before you say that it's unreliable, go tell it to the guy that pulled that off on me.

That sounds painful. Luckily I play C'thun Monkey Warrior and managed to get Reno 3 times to save me so I don't have these problems.

:D

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Blainie said:

That sounds painful. Luckily I play C'thun Monkey Warrior and managed to get Reno 3 times to save me so I don't have these problems.

:D

Fun thing is that I managed to win the game, I was on Ramp C'Thun so I managed to stop him from dealing the last 6 damages (don't know if he had Soulfire but he sure got one with Peddler), but the really amazing part was that he had like 5 cards in hand after playing Doomguard!

It made me realize though that if we want Discard Zoo to be a thing we need more cards that get off by discarding, draws are not that useful, you tend to either lose cards or empty your hand to not discard.

I think something like "If you play or discard this card summon a X/X Demon" would be a step in the right direction.

Edited by Kokuendan
forgot to mention something.

2 hours ago, Kobal said:

In that case, why not just play a useful spell instead?

Said Spells are in the deck already. The idea is to be a greedy fucker and try for even more.

With Babbling Book there is a good chance to get some ... crap. If at least it were 'Discover a mage spell'.

Yeah it's definitely a gamble, no disagreement there. One Mana just to curve off a turn nicely... Worth a shot.

And yes, Discover would be much better, but then it'd be crazy overpowered at one Mana. 

One of the big problems with spell Mage is there isn't enough room for all the spells you could need.  Ice block/barrier or board clears against agrocompete to heavily against resources cards to win against control.  It's one of the reasons cabilist tomb is so strong a card because it can give you those spells to turn your game around.  With that many Mage cards require combing to be effective so having another spell activator can't hurt including a non situational card to play at any point makes me belive it will see play.