L0rinda

Card Reveals: Babbling Book and Malchezaar's Imp

14 posts in this topic

nmT7jUv.jpg

Spoiler season for One Night in Karazhan is underway, with the first two cards since the launch stream being revealed by PCGames China, and Hearthstone Japan Twitter.

The first two to be revealed were Babbling Book and Malchezaar's Imp.

hyV9ylB.png

Babbling Book doesn't seem to have the stats to work well as a turn one minion. Rather than a random spell, you could simply play the spell you wanted in the first place in your deck in place of the Book. 

Malchezaar's Imp has imp-lications for Zoo decks. A 1/3 is a good shape to be buffed by cards like Abusive Sergeant, and ties in with the idea of Zoo playing sticky minions. It also has obvious synergy with Soulfire and Doomguard. It is definitely a card to try out. There is also the potential for a discard deck to become a new archetype, but that will require a lot of testing and building before we can judge.

What do you think of the new cards? Feel free to comment below.

• Like 1

Discarding a card for drawing a card... hm, where have I seen this before?

*COUGH COUGH* Darkshire Librarian *COUGH COUGH*

And as for discard decks-although the concept is cool-the cost of discarding cards means that you could potentially discard valuable discard-synergy cards. I think discard decks are too risky to fit in the meta.

Discard zoo finally viable in standard? Either way, looks like this adventure will be full of cards for niche decks, and I am looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, PaasHaaS said:

I strongly despise that discard mechanic. The second I see it on a new card my mind just goes 'nope, poop!'.

I can strongly agree on this one, discarding cards seems plain wrong to do.

Even when playing with all the upsides of discarding (getting buffs, the random 4 dmg card, charging, overpowered minion on turn 2) it's not worth it.

Same as the felguard's 'remove 1 mana gem' it brings chills to my spine...

Book looks interesting. It could certainly be put to good use in a mage Freeze deck to get more fuel to control and stall while you wait for Alex/circumvent her entirely and nuke your opponent down.

You don't usually have to care about discarding a card, since in discard zoo, it will usually be a small, needless minion, such as Argent SquirePossessed Villager or even Fist of Jaraxxus. The main disadvantage of discarding in discard zoo decks was that you ran out of steam pretty quickly, which won't be that problematic anymore.

2 hours ago, Keizoku said:

Book looks interesting. It could certainly be put to good use in a mage Freeze deck to get more fuel to control and stall while you wait for Alex/circumvent her entirely and nuke your opponent down.

In that case, why not just play a useful spell instead? With Babbling Book there is a good chance to get some ... crap. If at least it were 'Discover a mage spell'.

Edited by Kobal
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Keizoku said:

There was a tweet from RDU that sums up my feelings about the book:

Placeholder for tweet 759400426781499392
3 hours ago, positiv2 said:

You don't usually have to care about discarding a card, since in discard zoo, it will usually be a small, needless minion, such as Argent SquirePossessed Villager or even Fist of Jaraxxus. The main disadvantage of discarding in discard zoo decks was that you ran out of steam pretty quickly, which won't be that problematic anymore.

Definitely excited to see if we get discard zoo back in. Anything that brings new decks to light or old ones back in makes me happy. 

3 hours ago, positiv2 said:

Talking about Fist of Jaraxxus, Doomguard discarding 2 fists amounts to 13 face damage on an empty board.

And before you say that it's unreliable, go tell it to the guy that pulled that off on me.

24 minutes ago, Kokuendan said:

Talking about Fist of Jaraxxus, Doomguard discarding 2 fists amounts to 13 face damage on an empty board.

And before you say that it's unreliable, go tell it to the guy that pulled that off on me.

That sounds painful. Luckily I play C'thun Monkey Warrior and managed to get Reno 3 times to save me so I don't have these problems.

:D

5 minutes ago, Blainie said:

That sounds painful. Luckily I play C'thun Monkey Warrior and managed to get Reno 3 times to save me so I don't have these problems.

:D

Fun thing is that I managed to win the game, I was on Ramp C'Thun so I managed to stop him from dealing the last 6 damages (don't know if he had Soulfire but he sure got one with Peddler), but the really amazing part was that he had like 5 cards in hand after playing Doomguard!

It made me realize though that if we want Discard Zoo to be a thing we need more cards that get off by discarding, draws are not that useful, you tend to either lose cards or empty your hand to not discard.

I think something like "If you play or discard this card summon a X/X Demon" would be a step in the right direction.

Edited by Kokuendan
forgot to mention something.

2 hours ago, Kobal said:

In that case, why not just play a useful spell instead?

Said Spells are in the deck already. The idea is to be a greedy fucker and try for even more.

With Babbling Book there is a good chance to get some ... crap. If at least it were 'Discover a mage spell'.

Yeah it's definitely a gamble, no disagreement there. One Mana just to curve off a turn nicely... Worth a shot.

And yes, Discover would be much better, but then it'd be crazy overpowered at one Mana. 

One of the big problems with spell Mage is there isn't enough room for all the spells you could need.  Ice block/barrier or board clears against agrocompete to heavily against resources cards to win against control.  It's one of the reasons cabilist tomb is so strong a card because it can give you those spells to turn your game around.  With that many Mage cards require combing to be effective so having another spell activator can't hurt including a non situational card to play at any point makes me belive it will see play.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Zadina
      It's all about repeat Tavern Brawls and Unstable Portals, as last week we had the Too Many Portals! brawl and this week we have another brawl utilising the same Mage spell.
      This is the second time we see this Tavern Brawl, as it was originally released two years ago. You pick your class and choose seven cards for your deck. The rest of the deck will be filled with Unstable Portals. The pool of your mulligan will consist of the seven cards that you have picked.
      Traditional Mage cards like Mana Wyrm and Flamewaker can be helpful in this Brawl. Rogue also has the tools to cheat out free spells with Counterfeit Coin and Preparation. Lastly, decks with the Barnes and Y'Shaarj, Rage Unbound combo seem popular this time.
      Next week we will have a new Tavern Brawl, as part of the Days of the Frozen Throne event!
    • By Damien
      This thread is for comments about our Secret Paladin deck.
    • By Zadina
      Blizzard and Twitch will collaborate yet again with the Cheering program being available for the finals of the Hearthstone Global Games.
      This is a way to actually support the final 16 HGG teams that will battle it out at BlizzCon 2018. From September 17 through November 14, link your Battle.net account to Twitch and Cheer for your favourite team(s) with Bits. The more your Cheer, the more rewards you will unlock: Twitch emotes, card packs, a special card back and even global rewards.
      You can read more about it below:
      Blizzard Entertainment
      With the top 16 countries and regions in the world identified, it’s time to see which teams will advance to the Hearthstone Global Games (HGG) playoffs at BlizzCon®. Celebrate the journey with HGG Cheer—a new program that allows you to support your favorite teams and unlock rewards in-game and on Twitch along the way!
      From Sept. 17 through Nov. 4, you can support participating HGG teams by Cheering with Bits on Twitch. As you Cheer for a team using their dedicated, custom Cheermote, a portion of the revenue will go back to the players on that team.
      When you Cheer for a team, you’ll also be able to unlock special Twitch emotes and in-game rewards for Hearthstone based on how much you Cheer. In addition to personal rewards, community support can unlock global rewards for everyone who has Cheered as overall milestones are reached.

You’ll be able to see your personal and global progress on the official Hearthstone Twitch channel. HGG supporters can see:
      Your Progress: As you Cheer (for any team), you’ll make progress towards unlocking Twitch emotes and in-game rewards—including card packs and a card back—based on the level of Cheering you’ve done as an individual. Global Progress: Monitor the overall support for HGG and keep track as overall levels of Cheering unlock global rewards for supporters over a minimum level of personal Cheering.
      Here’s how to participate in HGG Cheer and unlock rewards:
      Link your Blizzard account to your Twitch account. Visit the official Hearthstone Twitch channel any time from Sept. 17 through Nov. 4. Select the Cheermote of the team you wish to support, then add the number of Bits you wish to Cheer (plus an optional custom message). Check back in the Tavern once goals are reached to automatically receive your rewards! (The card back will be added in a future Hearthstone update.)   Frequently Asked Questions How much revenue does a team receive when I Cheer for them?
      For each Bit Cheered for an HGG team, that team and Blizzard (as the tournament organizer) receive an equal amount of revenue. The HGG team’s portion is divided evenly among the four team members.
      Which teams are included in HGG Cheer?
      Brazil, Singapore, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Bulgaria, China, Chile, Chinese Taipei, Spain, Switzerland, New Zealand, Netherlands, Norway, Hong Kong, Portugal, and the United States are included.
      How do I Cheer for a team?
      To Cheer for your team of choice, click on the Bits icon in the corner of the chat window, select that team’s Cheermote, add the number of Bits you want to use, and optionally add a custom message to cheer them on.
      Can I use the regular Cheer command for HGG Cheer?
      No, regular Cheers won’t work for HGG Cheer. You can Cheer for any of the 16 remaining HGG teams using their team-themed Cheermotes.
      I forgot to link my Blizzard Battle.net account before Cheering! Can I still get the items?
      Yes! First, link your Blizzard account to your Twitch account. When you return to the Hearthstone Twitch channel, you’ll see that a “Redeem All” button has appeared. Hit that button to claim your items!
      Where can I watch HGG in my native language?
      You can view HGG in English, Russian, French, Korean, Japanese, Mandarin, and Thai.

Everyone, get in here! Support your team in the Hearthstone Global Games and follow them as they chase the trophy at BlizzCon. The program goes live on Sept. 17, so link your accounts, get your Bits, and be ready to start Cheering for HGG!
      (source)
    • By Starym
      The Lich King is back with his various shenanigans and will be hosting next week's Tavern Brawl and more! Featuring the Death Knight heroes and KotFC cards, you'll also be getting a free golden card if you log in from September 19th to the 23rd! There's also 600 gold to be won in 2 special quests and a new bundle with 30 KotFC packs!
      September 19 - 23 (source)
      I, the Lich King will soon return to your pathetic world, mortal whelps!
      I left some belongings at Blizzard Headquarters during my last visit. While I’m in town to pick them up--from September 19 through September 23--you are invited to resurrect the glory of the Knights of the Frozen Throne. . . But better!
      If Knights of the Frozen Throne boggled your mortal minds, brace yourself for: DAYS of the Frozen Throne.
      Next week, I will once again raise Hearthstone’s champions as Death Knights in a brutal new Tavern Brawl! I will also dispose of some gold I don’t want to carry back to Northrend. And if you’re looking for more undead muscle, you can recruit more of my minions to do your bidding for a cool price.
      Behold!

Death Knight Duels
      Prove which of my Death Knights reigns supreme in this chilling Tavern Brawl! You and your opponent will both skip tedious mortality and begin the match as a Death Knight! Each deck also comes appropriately armed with Knights of the Frozen Throne cards.
      Ghouls Play Free
      Log in to Hearthstone during the Days of the Frozen Throne to receive a free golden Happy Ghoul card. Unleash its cuteness on your future opponents. Or disenchant it, like an ungrateful savage.

My Pocket Change
      Complete sequential special quests in order that reward 300 gold each, for a total of 600 gold. My total lack of interest in financial planning is your windfall!
      Warm Your Frozen Heart with More Packs
      Is your frail living body prone to cold? Want more cards from the Hearthstone expansion featuring the most powerful being to have ever un-lived? Do you crave the ferocious might of more Death Knights for your collection? Then acquire the Bundle Up Bundle – 30 Knights of the Frozen Throne card packs for a special price!
      I tire of this prattle. Attend and be rewarded, mortals!

• By Zadina
      The card back for September 2018 is called Dr. Boom's Puzzle Lab.
      The Boomsday Project is in full swing and what better way to celebrate it than with an accompanying card back. You can earn the Dr. Boom's Lab card back by winning 5 Ranked games within September.

It doesn't compare to the August card back, which was great, but it's a good one nonetheless. Good luck everyone!