Blainie

hearthstone New Hearthstone Brawl at Gamescom: "Nefarian Rises!"

24 posts in this topic

xywILI9.jpg

We've just had the chance to preview the latest brawl coming to Hearthstone! Team up and work together to bring down the mighty Nefarian!

fH3Y4Hh.jpg?1

This brawl is very similar to that of the Mechazod brawl, in which 2 players work together to kill a "boss" on the board and the boss minion swaps sides depending on whose turn it is. You will be playing the brawl as Shaman and Priest, with your decks being filled with buff cards, such as Inner Fire, Windfury and Velen's Chosen.

dcrVkk8.jpg?1

When the brawl starts, you'll be faced with Nefarian on the board as a 0/200 minion with taunt. He cannot be targeted by any spells and will win the brawl if he kills either of you.

The fight comes in 3 stages, with the first running from 200 to 160 HP. At the end of every turn, he will cast a spell with varying effects, such as:

• He can deal 4 damage to both heroes with Immolate.
  • He can summon an Explosive Rune, which will deal 9 damage at the start of a hero's turn.
  • He can deal 5 damage randomly split among all other characters with Flame Missiles.
  • He can deal 4 damage to a minion and its owner with Cleave.
  • Arguably the most annoying spell, he can swap the player's hands with Bamboozle.

bGOslsW.jpg?1

As soon as you get him down to 160 HP, he'll cast a spell called "Don't Push Me!", which will give him 5 attack.

doQXJ9E.jpg?1

Immediately afterwards, he will deal 4-6 damage to all other minions with Elemental Eruption. This marks the start of phase 2. Phase 2 consists of slightly more powerful versions of his spells from phase 1, so you essentially just need to continue the same strategy as before. Once you bring him to 60 HP, he'll cast two spells and become immune for the rest of the turn.

The first spell he casts at 60 HP is Glorious Finale, which marks the start of phase 3 and grants Nefarian 5 more attack, meaning he is now at 10 attack.

ZL1RFvV.jpg

Immediately after, he will cast a new spell, Twisted Light. It will heal Nefarian for 30 HP, as well as dealing 30 damage to every other minion on board.

JhI9aZp.jpg?1

In Phase 3, it's a race to kill Nefarian. His attacks will be dealing way more damage than before, so you'll need to rebuild your board after the wipe and kill him. Here's the buffed damage values for phase 3 that we saw:

• Cleave does 7 damage to a minion and its owner.
  • Flame Missiles does 10 damage randomly split among all other characters.
  • He can now summon 2 explosive runes, one for each player.

So how can you beat this brawl? We'd recommend using minions such as Stoneskin Gargoyle and buffing them as much as possible. There is also a minion called Intrepid Dragonstalker, which will gain +1/+1 whenever a player plays a card (not yet in the game). You need to keep buffing these minions until you can kill Nefarian with the use of the buff combos that Shamans and Priests can create. It's incredibly important to make sure your minion on board can survive the Phase 3 board clear. Buff your minion above 30 HP before transitioning to make it as easy as possible. When the spell damage is buffed, it is even harder to build up a board since minions die faster. You won't be able to easily build a strong minion in Phase 3, so get it done before you transition!

Just when we thought Mechazod was the worst brawl ever...

I have a feeling it's going to be as awesome as unbeatable.

I surely won't play this more than one time, It's going to be a nightmare waiting to be matched up with someone competent, and It may not even be enough...

2 people like this

49 minutes ago, Paracel said:

Just when we thought Mechazod was the worst brawl ever...

I have a feeling it's going to be as awesome as unbeatable.

I feel like it's just going to be "pray for divine spirit/inner fire and then windfury that mob"

I'll wait until I've tried it to judge it. It actually looks quite nice on paper, but then again I'm a sucker for such wacky 'alternative' game modes. I liked the Mechazod brawls.

1 person likes this

I feel like it's gonna take forever to (victoriously) finish it, but hey, at least it isn't Randomonium or Crossroads.

What was the strategy you used to beat him?

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, positiv2 said:

I feel like it's gonna take forever to (victoriously) finish it, but hey, at least it isn't Randomonium or Crossroads.

Basically pick either Stoneskin/the new mob, and just spam buff it so it survives everything that Nefarian does and kill him. Sounds simple I know :p

I hope this is not going live this week. 

I have 6 brawl games to win :(

i love this!!! its just like the raid decks in the TCG. 

Free pack not worth this pain.  No thanks, Blizzard.

This was a lot less painful than I originally expected it to be. Just buff 1 minion and keep it alive. GG.

1 person likes this

I honestly thought this brawl was much easier. Played it twice so far as both priest and shaman and saw success on both occasions. It just seems that shaman will be the one pushing for more damage with cards that combo well like Leeroy Jenkins and WindfuryFjola Lightbane has a great effect two, so keeping it alive in a brawl where both classes have really cheap buffing spells really makes her a power house

1 person likes this

58 minutes ago, PaasHaaS said:

This was a lot less painful than I originally expected it to be. Just buff 1 minion and keep it alive. GG.

It sounds super complicated, then you realise priest buffs are OP as shit and you're set!

I somewhat managed to win the first try, I believe the poor guy I've been paired with had no idea what was going on judging how he was ramming everything into Nefarian, on Phase 3 everything died and he kept ramming everything he summoned, thank god at the very end I managed to make his Al'Akir a 22/22 and keep him alive enough.

1 person likes this

I had to do it twice and it takes soooooooo much time.

First time I had a good player with me, but the 30 DMGs took us by surprise so his priest eventually went to fatigue.

Second time my mate was playing quite randomly, just giving draws when we both had more than 6 cards...

However if just before you hit 60 you can stack divine shield and deathrattle you win. For the last 10 turns we were just buffing the 3/4 that gets divine shield.

baaaaad brawl, it would be good during the week when you could do quests with friends.

played the ^%&^ out of this last night, my god, it was my favorite brawl ever :D.  I played with some random person I got and we struggled for over an hour. We ultimately failed but it was exceedingly fun. I also don't think I've ever screamed harder at a teammate who couldn't hear me. He took a realllll long time to make each move and every turn he had the little burning rope thing appeared. However, he would sit for like 30 seconds and bust out these amazing moves.

So why did we fail? Nefarian did not defeat us, I did. Anduin bro ran out of cards I had a heal draw engine thing going. So the 5th time he had to draw cards without any available the punishment damage did us in. but wow it was fun :D

1 person likes this

On 17-8-2016 at 3:17 PM, positiv2 said:

This is a quite easy brawl 6/0 so far with a mix of both classes.

Some tips for people who want their pack and get out:

• Buff any minion that you can, don't wait for the perfect gargoyle or the new selfbuff for every card.
    But keep the buffing to 1 minion at a time, you don't want your buff to die to Nefarian's attack power or spells!
  • Keep healing your minion, only heal face when you (or your teammate) fall below 15 health.
    Reason being there are a lot of multi-heals that can only go face in both decks, use those for face, use all else for the minion.
  • As mentioned before, make sure that you buff can survive pushing Nefarian past 60 health (meaning it should have more than 30 health).
    In P3 it is indeed really hard to build up attack power, and you can go fatigue real easy.
  • Just relax when he switches your hand, as long as you have a skilled opponent he will use your cards for good.
    Sometimes it even works out perfectly, as you can get great card combo's to heal your team mate.
  • Don't waste cards by overdraw, both on you or your team mate, fatigue is a real danger in this brawl!

Overall a very fun brawl to do, but nothing special sadly, as you only have 1 strategy to win = B2W (buff to win)

1 person likes this

After trying the brawl, it was easier than I originally thought it would be. The biggest problem were my teammates, and only on NA. I got milled every time there, one time even 7 cards where he played Brann Bronzebeard, Coldlight Oracle and chose Healing Totem on board with 3 damaged minions while I had Northshire Cleric on board. Needless to say that we lost. Sometimes I really wonder how these people have the brain capacity to install hearthstone.
I enjoyed the brawl on EU, where we managed to get a 60/80 minion with windfury. That was fun and in the end I think that moments like these are worth the pain.

1 person likes this

On 18-8-2016 at 4:20 PM, positiv2 said:

After trying the brawl, it was easier than I originally thought it would be. The biggest problem were my teammates, and only on NA. I got milled every time there, one time even 7 cards where he played Brann Bronzebeard, Coldlight Oracle and chose Healing Totem on board with 3 damaged minions while I had Northshire Cleric on board. Needless to say that we lost. Sometimes I really wonder how these people have the brain capacity to install hearthstone.
I enjoyed the brawl on EU, where we managed to get a 60/80 minion with windfury. That was fun and in the end I think that moments like these are worth the pain.

Brawl lessons learned: DON'T PLAY NA! :D

1 person likes this

Tried it once, tried it twice and won. Had a good co-player so everything was fine. Yes, it depends on your teammate, but I liked this cooperative brawl.

1 person likes this

I really liked this and Mechazod. These and the stormwind one makes me hopeful that someday they might look at more community style brawls with a goal of "community does X damage (or boss defeats) and everyone gets an extra free pack" with a counter similar to about every other CCG game out there.

I do hope they don't add chat for this though. As frustrating as it was, trying to telegraph your hand and get on the same page was some of the fun.

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, Laragon said:

I really liked this and Mechazod. These and the stormwind one makes me hopeful that someday they might look at more community style brawls with a goal of "community does X damage (or boss defeats) and everyone gets an extra free pack" with a counter similar to about every other CCG game out there.

I do hope they don't add chat for this though. As frustrating as it was, trying to telegraph your hand and get on the same page was some of the fun.

Community challenges would definitely be interesting and they don't even have to be tied to tavern brawl. Blizzard could use it to promote or push certain aspects of the game, such as arena by something like "Start X arena runs", or bring more class divesity to ladder by "Win X games with paladin or priest". You could try to push the idea in the Hearthstone official forums.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Laragon said:

I spent so long spamming my cursor over the mob I wanted the priest to buff rather than their northshire cleric. It didn't work. :(

1 hour ago, Blainie said:

I spent so long spamming my cursor over the mob I wanted the priest to buff rather than their northshire cleric. It didn't work. :(

haha yeah i know those pains. my opponent was buffing their totems while my stoneskin gargoyle was just sitting there staring me in the eyes. I had already dumped all my buffs into him so i thought they would catch on..... i was wrong :(

still one of my more favorite taverns but i would like a way to organize it a bit better. Also, it is sort of lengthy and I had more then a couple poor opponents where I could carry them to phase 3 but then we failed, 40 minutes of hard work down the toilet :( but man when you finally got him down, that was more satisfying then wow progression kills.