Keybindings and Hotbar Setup for Machinist — Endwalker 6.55
Welcome to our keybinding and controller setup guide for Machinist. Here you'll find example setups to play FFXIV for mouse and keyboard configurations, as well as controller users.
Keybindings and UI Introduction
Hotbar setups in any game tend to be very much personal preference. While the keybindings we have listed here would be considered well thought out, it's understandable that you may want to tweak things to your own liking. These hotbars are meant to be used as a template and give a baseline for you to create your own setup. However, if what we've provided works for you, don't let that stop you from just using these 1:1.
Machinist Hotbar Setup
For controller, we've listed a set up using two full hotbars, and a third half hotbar. The first hotbar is specifically for single target, the second hotbar is for AoE/Dungeons. The third hotbar is accessed by pulling both triggers down (which is why it's duplicated on both sides, it ensures you will pull the same buttons up regardless of the order you pull the triggers) and meant for things like potions, crowd control, Limit Break, etc. You can anable double trigger pull hotbars by turning it on in Character →Hotbar → Custom → Expanded Hold Controls.
Combo actions andhave been placed on face buttons, as they'll get the most usage out of your entire kit and should be easily accessible.
Keyboards and Mouse setups will vary wildly depending on which variation of a keyboard you use. The example below utilizes a QWERTY keyboard and used WASD for movement. This is purely player preference. If you prefer to move with mouse buttons, feel free to do so.
We've utilized two modifiers (CTRL and Shift) to ensure as little finger extention as possible. Utilizing an MMO mouse with this will reduce the amount of modifiers required.
General Keybind Advice
FFXIV has a unique problem in the fact the game wants you to play a multitude of different classes in order to fully enjoy its combat system. While all jobs will have differing hotbar setups to some varying degree, there's still some advice to give that will help with the muscle memory when swapping between classes and roles.
- Keep similar actions on the same buttons across all characters. This may not always
be possible, but you'll find most classes in this game can be set up in a very
similar fashion. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Basic combo buttons on easy to reach mappings or controller face buttons.
- Place similar mitigation on the same buttons across Jobs, especially role abilities. A good example of this is and .
- If you use a controller, you can use a cross hotbar to track longer cooldowns such as raid buffs or party mitigation. This may allow you to stay on a singular hotbar for longer and help with eye tracking on the screen.
- Your hotbar should be located on a place on the screen that's easy to see while still being able to keep your attention on your character, the boss, and the arena. This also applies to your buff and debuff bar, your party list, and the target bar. The easier it is to see things in your peripheral vision, the easier time you'll have focusing on the fight rather than being stuck in your hotbar.
- Mobility is important! Ensure your keybinds won't interfere with your ability to move your character. You should be able have full control of your character, even in the middle of your burst rotation.
- 17 Jan. 2024: Updated for Patch 6.55.
- 14 Aug. 2022: Page added.
- Join the FFXIV Open Beta Test on Xbox Series X and S
- FFXIV x FFXVI Crossover Event: A Path Infernal - Sponsored by Butterfinger
- The Moogle Treasure Trove Returns to FFXIV with New Rewards and Challenges! - Sponsored by Butterfinger
- FFXIV - The Maidens Rhapsody: A Tribute to Final Fantasy XI
- FFXIV - Patch 6.55: What to Expect From Endwalkers Last Patch - Sponsored by Butterfinger
- FFXIV - New Hydaelyn and Zodiark Figure
- FFXIV - Pre-Order the New Endwalker Art Collection and Get a Zodiark Idol Minion
- FFXIV Dawntrail: Zones and Battle Content - Sponsored by Butterfinger