Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Loimulohi

Gladiator Stance, Versatility vs Mastery

1 post in this topic

Hello everyone

As a sort of beginning Protection Warrior with an interest into Gladiator Stance I started reading the Gladiator Stance guide and ran into the God... I mean Moderator-given fact that Versatility is better than Mastery for a Gladiator Stance Warrior.

Now I thought that a tad odd, as I've felt from my other characters that Versatility tends to give, point for point, very little damage increase. So I started theorycrafting a little, starting with making sure that Mastery gives 2/3 attack power of the block chance it gives per point of Mastery, which equates to 0.00909% increase in attack power per point. Versatility, on the other hand, gives an extra 0.00769% (perhaps not the exact number) damage per point.

Now this tells us very little because of AP coefficients and whatnot, so we go further. I'll give the crafting for the four most important skills, Heroic Strike, Devastate, Shield Slam and Revenge. Playing around a little, it seemed that Heroic Strike has an Attack Power Coefficient (henceforth APC) of 0.77, Devastate that of 1.54, Shield Slam that of 3.18 and finally Revenge had an APC of 3.37. These coefficients were found by removing 123 AP worth of gear (no other stats changed) and calculating the relative change in the tooltip damage of the skills.

This meant that the percentual damage increase per point of Mastery would be for Heroic Strike 0.0070%, Devastate 0.0140%, Shield Slam 0.0289% and Revenge 0.0306%. Now if I am not totally mistaken, this already shows that only Heroic Strike gains more damage from Versatility, while all the others benefit more from Mastery, point for point.

Finally I decided to weigh this against the relative usage damage output of the skills in a fight. I did not gather data myself but instead used noxxic.com's simulations (available here). Now I have gathered that Noxxic ain't the best webpage for theorycrafting there is ('Cause Icy Veins is the best, obviously), but I figured that their percentages can't be totally wrong. Anyhow, take the following with a grain of salt.

With the relative weights I found Heroic Strike to gain an increase of 0.0012%, Devastate an increase of 0.0030%, Shield Slam an increase of 0.0060% and Revenge an increase of 0.0030% per point of Mastery. The relative weights per point of Versatility on the other hand are 0.0013%, 0.0017%, 0.0016% and 0.0008% respectively. It is now increasingly clear that according to my theorycraft Heroic Strike  benefits more from Versatility than Mastery but only by a minute amount while all other skills benefit more from Mastery.

Now comes the big question: What have I missed? What have I miscalculated? Where is my error? Or can it be that Icy Veins has simply misevaluated the damage increase Mastery gives a Gladiator Stance Warrior?

Cheers

-Loimulohi

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kelp
      Type: Semi-hardcore
      Progression: 7/7 Mythic EN + 2/3 Mythic ToV + 2/10 Mythic NH
      Faction: Horde
      Server: <Lustful> - [Zul’jin]
      Raid Times: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9pm-12am EST (Server Time)
      Apply here: lustful-guild.com or message me.

<Lustful> is currently recruiting experienced, and perspective raiders in need of an active and progression oriented mythic guild!

We are currently looking for most classes and roles:
      Healer: Low demand.
      Range Damage: HIGH DEMAND!
      Melee damage: Medium demand.

Expectations:
      Be on time
      Have Discord for voice communication
      Have installed the required add-ons
      Prepare for raids outside of raid times (repairs, food, flasks, potions etc.)
      Know your class and raid mechanics outside of raid times
      Loot Rules:
      Loot Council
      Add-on List:
      Deadly Boss Mods
      RCLootCouncil
      Casual players are more than welcome to join for assistance in leveling, dungeons, and other content. Something is always going on within <Lustful>! Social oriented players will never be without something to do. Our Discord is available to all guild members.
      Message me for more information:
      Kelp-Zul'jin or Ragnar#11614
    • By Tyrovar
      Hello, first time poster here, so forgive me if my question has an obvious answer that I'm missing.
      While I have Breath of Sindragosa and Hungering Rune Weapon up at the same time, I tend to cap on runes (three or more fully charged), even when spamming Obliterate. Using Rime procs while Hungering Rune Weapon is up seems to exacerbate the problem, because I am not using the runes that Hungering Rune Weapon is generating. With this build, Breath of Sindragosa seems to be my main source of damage, and it seems important to keep it up as long as possible. My question is, is it worth using Rime procs while Hungering Rune Weapon is active during BoS, or should I wait until HRW is over to use them? Here is my armory, if the answer is on a case-by-case basis:
      http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/alexstrasza/Tyrokoth/simple
      TL;DR of that is that I have the bracers + cloak as my legendaries, and neither 2- nor 4-set bonus.
      I would appreciate any assistance that you can provide. Thank you for your time.
    • By Slamminshama
      I have three trinkets to choose from, Two from Mythic EN, Heightened Senses @ 880, Vial of Nightmare Fog @ 880, and finally from Nightbane Kara i have the Ethereal Urn @875. If any other experienced resto shamans could weigh in and help me make a decision it would be appreciated. 
    • By Kassanova
      Hey all, I apologize if this is common knowledge, but my rogue is one of my alts and I don't know as much about the class as I'd like. I used to play outlaw just fine, but I'm interested in a strong spec that isn't so RNG dependent. I'm a bit confused as to how much mastery is needed to pull off a poison build vs a bleed a build. The talent guide says to go for poisons if you have a mastery-heavy build. What constitutes a lot of mastery? My rogue is wearing ilvl 847 with 27.79% crit, 7.83% haste, 116.2% mastery, 3.6/1.8% versatility. That is based on recommendations from Ask Mr. Robot. I primarily run mythics and I would like recommendations on the best tier 1 and 6 talent suggestions. 
      Armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/darkspear/Cowboyslim/simple

Thanks in advance!
    • By Nyancoil
      Hello all,
      This is my first post in this area of the forum and I was wondering if someone can help me.
      I've recently started logging my encounters - starting with my guilds ToV HC run.
      While I'm always usually in the top 2-5 people on the DPS meter during raids, the log I took for the ToV HC run show me to be in the lower percentiles for that fight for my gear level (879 equipped, 880 bagged). I'd appreciate it if someone could enlighten me and let me know if there is something wrong in my rotation? Anything is appreciated, I'd like to maximise what I can if there's more I can eek out of my spec!
      Log: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/4p1dqz73WD86jnRL/#type=damage-done&source=5 (it's a live log so it'll be constantly updating while this run is going)
      Log: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/68rytKvmMxH7RTkc#fight=17 (for some other information - here is my Kara clear for the week (with NB))
      Armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/darkspear/Eaglie/simple
      If any more information is required please let me know!
      Thanks guys!