Damien

[Archived] S20 Hearthstone Mid Budget Dragon Priest BrM

Sign in to follow this  

28 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Mid-Budget Dragon Priest Deck for BrM.

Hey I've just constructed this deck a few days ago and it's amazing if I get the right cards but otherwise I'm making loads of misplays and the like. I need help learning how to utilise this deck properly. I just got the hang of the Mech Mage aggro/rush deck but this Dragon priest deck is evading me. Any tips on how to use it would be mighty fine cool.png

Heya big priest fan. Just finished BRM and tried this out, but Instead I am using twilight welps instead of chow (didnt do naxx yet). Although yes you need a dragon, I find that they are fairly consistant. There is a very good chance of having a dragon on your opening hand, and they don't have the negative 5 health heal if they are playing control and simply wait out aggro.

Just going to ask why not twilight welp, as it adds to the synergy.

So I have every card here except for what's needed from naxx, recommendations on what to implement instead!

Well, that's what the guide is for. If you have specific questions, i'm happy to answer them.

It's like everything I try to do just gets destroyed. I can't seem to keep board control, I can't do anything in the first few turns and I have no power in mid or late game. I honestly don't know what to do. I figured out with my Mech mage aggro/rush that I was extending the board but with this deck I don't know how to fix my misplay. I've the read guide over and over

Shadow Madness is the closest alternative yes, but Cabal is a pretty unique card and can't really be replaced directly.

It's like everything I try to do just gets destroyed. I can't seem to keep board control, I can't do anything in the first few turns and I have no power in mid or late game. I honestly don't know what to do. I figured out with my Mech mage aggro/rush that I was extending the board but with this deck I don't know how to fix my misplay. I've the read guide over and over

Well, none of these issues seem like they should be an issue specific to this deck, so it's hard to pinpoint a problem. You have 10 minions you're able to play on turn 3 or earlier if necessary, plus 4 buff spells to help them stick, and the deck plays a really strong curve of midrange threats. It may be you're just experiencing an extended patch of bad variance.

Nefarian or Chrommagus for the dragon slot? Is there any tactical reasoning behind either, or its "they're kinda the same so can't decide"?

Nefarian is quicker, but inconsistent. It does something immediately, but potentially gives you useless garbage, plus it's vulnerable to Big Game Hunter. Chromaggus is more reliable quality when it does hit, but is slow in that it will usually require a turn on the board before it starts to do anything.

Ysera's kinda the best of both worlds, though? Just opened her in a pack.
She also gives you card "immediately" (you likely can't play nefarian's card anyway, you're left with 0-1 mana), doesn't get hit by bgh and the card that you get should be generally good, too. She's weaker vs big stuff though.

Nefarian surely wins in the "cool" factor though. You probably can't afford to run both, right? sad.png

ps thanks for the input, by the way

Edited by Kejim

Hello, first of all thanks for this deck, I love it.

I changed something that I prefer, but I would have your opinion.

Twilight Whelp instead of Zombie Chow = They're dragons so they synergize better with the deck.

Shrinkmeister instead of Wild Pyromancer = I love the combo you can use with the Cabal and I think the board clear with the Auchenai could be enough.

Cromaggus instead of Asyra = This is not a real change since it's due to the fact I don't have Ysera, so I've been using Nefarian since now. I will try with Cromaggus after your tips.

Is there any video of you playing this deck?

Thanks again and, if you can, give me a feedback about it.

Edited by JackBlack25

Twilight Whelp instead of Zombie Chow = They're dragons so they synergize better with the deck.

So the explanation as to why Twilight Whelp is bad is kind of complicated, but bear with me.

Say at the start of the game, you are presented with Volcanic Drake, Sludge Belcher, and Holy Nova. If you are playing Zombie Chow in your deck, your mulligan here is really simple, you throw away everything and look for Chow. Now imagine you're playing Twilight Whelp instead. You want to throw away this whole hand because it's way too slow, but what if you draw Whelp? It's extremely unlikely that you're going to Mulligan back into exactly Twilight Whelp and another Dragon to activate it, so you have to keep the 6 Mana Dragon in order to activate the Whelp if you do get it. Now, if you miss, your opening hand is awful and you just lose to any deck with a nice curve at the start.

This is just one example of how playing Whelp just causes havok with your early game, but short version, it's absolutely not worth playing it just to get a 2/3 *sometimes* when Chow is a 2/3 *always*.

The other changes are fine.

I've been thinking very seriously about making this my first non-basic deck. Having played Hearthstone for a couple of months now and doing research, it seems like Sylvannas should be the first legendary priest, and many other classes, should craft. I was thinking of using this mid-budget dragon deck but crafting Sylvannas instead of Ysera and using Crommagus in her spot. I don't have a large enough collection to craft the legendary dragon deck, but it would be nice to be able to transition over time to that deck. What are your thoughts? What would be the best card to swap out for Sylvannas, if it's even wise move to begin with. Thank you for all the effort you've put into these guides Sottle, they have been a great help.

Sylvanas would definitely be a wiser choice for a player on a budget since it fits in a larger number of decks overall than Ysera. I think your plan sounds fairly wise in terms of efficiently building a collection while still having a decent deck to play in the meantime.

Thanks Sottle, I actually pulled Sylvannas from a deck not a day after posting my comment so I went ahead and crafted Ysera.

awesome deck guys.

I switched out one auchenai for a shrinkmeister to combo with the cabal shadow priest.

Do you guys think its a good move or no.

It's reasonable, obviously if I thought it was better I would have built it that way, but people are free to experiment.

Thanks for posting this deck! I've never had much fun with Priest, but I like the layered synergy here. Awesome fun to play!

I swapped the Sludge Belchers and 1 Volcanic Drake + 1 Auchenai Soulpriest for 2x Hungry Dragon and 2x Azure Drake. The Hungry's 1-drop is annoying, but you cannot beat that statline, and the synergy is great. I particularly like the 6-health; it fit's the priest mould better to my mind.

I think I need to wiggle that second Soulpriest back in, though. 

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks again for posting such a fun deck!

I know you're probably sick of people second-guessing your deck choices, but I do have an interesting question:

What are the pros and cons of Blackwing Technician versus Dark Cultist? In what scenario would the delayed DarkCult buff (and the consistent 3 attack) outvalue the higher health of the BlackTech - if ever?

I'll be testing both out, but was curious on your theory thoughts.

It's fine, I like questions!

So, both cards are x/x "sometimes". Blackwing Tech is a 3/5 sometimes (if you have a Dragon), Dark Cultist is sort of a 3/7 sometimes (if they can't kill things in an order to prevent it). In my experience, the having a Dragon scenario happens more often than the Cultist buff going off, so that's why it's included.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      Blizzard posted changes to game mechanics that will be implemented with with the Boomsday Project 12.0 patch.
      Highlights
      Ghostly Charger will no longer have the Beast tag. Ixlid, Fungal Lord is losing the Elemental tag. Shifter Zerus, Molten Blade, and Shifting Scroll will no longer keep any enchantments when they transform. Voodoo Doll's curse will be broken if you transform the minion that's already been cursed by Voodoo Doll. The transformed (formerly cursed) minion will not be killed when Voodoo Doll dies. Shadowboxer will be updated to deal 1 damage to a random enemy, whenever a minion is healed. Players will be able to disenchant the card for its full Arcane Dust value for two weeks after 12.0 goes live. Blizzard (Source)
      Dr. Boom’s bringing more than just mayhem to the Netherstorm. The 12.0 update will also come with several rule changes to Hearthstone’s gameplay. Read on to learn about another minion Type update, the copy a card rule change and the transform rule change.
      More Minion Type Changes
      There was a ton of feedback following the last minion Type update we posted, and after reviewing all of it, we realized that there were a couple more minions that needed changing. Here are our decisions following the full review of your feedback.
      Ghostly Charger

We made a decision that, at least by default, spectral/undead/ghost/spirit versions of animals are not considered Beasts in Hearthstone. There are quite a lot of these sort of cards, most of which are already not Beasts, and changing them would have extensive balance implications.
      Ghostly Charger is one of those cards. Clearly a ghost in both its name and art, its Beast tag has also not been relevant in any significantly used interaction. As a result, we’re planning to remove the Beast tag in a future update.
      In the much rarer case of spectral/undead/ghost/spirit versions of Dragons, Murlocs, Pirates, and Elementals, they will still remain their Type. There aren’t a whole lot of these cards, but there are a few, and they’re already consistently their type. Examples of these are Ghost Light Angler, Cursed Castaway, Bone Drake.
      Ixlid, Fungal Lord

World of Warcraft uses a looser definition of Elemental than what we decided to standardize on for Hearthstone. In Hearthstone, an elemental is something that has been brought to life by being inhabited by an elemental spirit, but is otherwise not alive. These are easy to recognize: a Fire Elemental looks like a living creature made out of fire; A Water Elemental looks like a living creature made out of water.
      One of the biggest outliers to this definition are plant creatures. There are a ton of minions in Hearthstone that are some sort of plant. We’ve decided that these do not count as Elementals in Hearthstone. Examples of these include The Voraxx, Fen Creeper, Biteweed, Vilespine Slayer, Rotten Applebaum.
      Ixlid, Fungal Lord, is by this definition, a plant creature. Although we’re committed to consistency, there are also other criteria that we consider when changing card Types. One of them is how often a card’s current Type matters when it comes to interacting with other cards. Ixlid’s Elemental tag is not significantly used in current decks, so we’ve decided to remove it in a future update.
      We also looked at the following minions but decided against making any changes. We’ve included our thought process as to how we came to our decisions with these cards.
      Kindly Grandmother
      Kindly Grandmother/Big Bad Wolf looks like a Worgen (which are not considered Beasts) but is actually some other sort of wolf-like creature that is a Beast. The Beast tag is also extremely relevant to its gameplay, and defines most of the card’s intended usage. With this in mind, we will not be changing Kindly Grandmother’s/Big Bad Wolf’s Type. In the future, we’ll be more careful to make the art clear when it comes to Worgen or similar races.
      Arcane Giant  & Arcane Golem
      On top of Elementals and plant creatures, there’s another category of things that have been brought to life via magical animation. These are creatures like War Golem, Arcane Giant, and Avian Watcher—which are not Elementals.
      Arcane Giant, Arcane Golem, and The Curator are all examples of another sort of creature collectively referred to as Arcane Golems. These mechanical constructs utilize arcane energy as a power source, with The Curator being a Mech Type as part of his character in the One Night in Karazhan Adventure. This is actually subtly different from something like War Golem, which is carved from stone and then magically animated. While the “golem” definition refers to something that has been magically animated and is therefore neither a Mech nor Elemental, both Arcane Giant and Arcane Golem’s card art don’t clearly show them to be one or the other. Since the correct type for these creatures is so unclear, we will be leaving them unchanged for now, but would love to hear what you think.
      Bogshaper
      Bogshaper seems to be the same type of creature as Ixlid or Fen Creeper, and that would logically lead to removal of its Elemental tag. However, as mentioned above, we look at more than just the fantasy of a card when determining if it needs a Type change. While Bogshaper’s fantasy criteria checkbox is filled, it’s currently heavily utilized in the meta, and features in many decks, including that of the 2018 Summer Champion, Bunnyhoppor.
      We are holding off on changing Bogshaper's Type for now, but would love to hear what the community thinks we should do in this case. We’re also considering making this sort of change when a card rotates to Wild.
      Copy A Card Rule Change

Card copies currently only retain enchantments when both the original card and its copy are in play—think Molten Reflection. In Update 12.0, this rule will be updated to match the one regarding enchantments being retained when a card transitions zones.
      Zones in Hearthstone are defined as areas where cards are hosted: your deck, your hand, in play, and in the graveyard. In Hearthstone, there is a general forward-moving flow through zones. Whenever a card moves forward in that flow (Deck -> Hand, Hand -> Play, Deck -> Play), it retains enchantments. If a card moves backwards in zones (Play -> Hand, Hand -> Deck, Play -> Deck, Play/Hand/Deck -> Graveyard and Graveyard -> Play/Hand/Deck), it loses enchantments.
      With this update, card copies will retain enchantments in the following scenarios.
      Cards that are resurrected currently do not and will continue not to retain any enchantments, unless specifically stated otherwise. If you copy a card from a deck to a deck, the copy retains enchantments. (eg. Archbishop Benedictus) If you copy a card from a hand to a hand, the copy retains enchantments. (eg. Mind Vision) If you copy a card from play to play, the copy retains enchantments. (eg. Molten Reflection) If you copy a card from a deck to a hand, the copy retains enchantments. (eg. Thoughtsteal) If you copy a card from a deck to play, the copy retains enchantments. (eg. Mindgames) If you copy a card from hand to play, the copy retains enchantments. (eg. Kobold Illusionist) Transform Rule Change
      When transformed, a Hearthstone card typically loses all of its enchantment. Most cards in game already obey this rule. However, there are four cards that we are changing to keep in line with the rule, as part of this consistency pass.

Shifter Zerus, Molten Blade, and Shifting Scroll all transform in your hand at the start of every turn. Following the 12.0 update, they will no longer keep any enchantments when they transform. This includes things like hand buffs and Emperor Thaurissan mana-cost discounts.

The impact on Voodoo Doll is a little different with the update. If you transform the minion that’s already been cursed by Voodoo Doll, the curse will be broken, and the transformed (and formerly cursed) minion will not be killed when Voodoo Doll dies. Silencing the cursed minion will also break the curse, in addition to silencing the Voodoo Doll.
      Shadowboxer Update

Since the creation of the Lifesteal keyword, Shadowboxer has been a high risk card, in that it can trigger off of itself and deal up to 30 damage in one turn if you ever give it Lifesteal. Because of this, we have changed it to: Whenever a minion is healed, deal 1 damage to a random enemy.
      Once Shadowboxer's card change is live with Update 12.0, players will be able to disenchant it for its full Arcane Dust value for two weeks.
      These are all the changes that you’ll see come into effect with Update 12.0, in line with our commitment to consistency within the game. Let us know what you think in the comments below, or via Facebook and Twitter!
    • By Aleco
      Will these three new Treant cards see play in the meta? Or will they come up short like the hand-size cards from The Witchwood?

Three new Treant-themed cards were revealed today by PCGamer:

First up we have Dendrologist. The floor on this card is solid, as a 2 Mana 2/3 is passable in a pinch. The ceiling on Dendrologist is higher than you might think, as his Battlecry is quite strong. Druid might have more high-quality spells than any other class in the game (Wild Growth, Nourish, Ultimate Infestation, Branching Paths, Naturalize, and Savage Roar to name a few), which leads me to believe that Dendrologist will be a powerhouse if Druid gets sufficient Treant support in this expansion.

3 Mana for 4/4 worth of stats is already a great deal on its own, and the added Treant synergy puts this card over the top. The fact that this card creates two bodies makes it even better in aggro decks that look to go wide and finish with cards like Fungalmancer. This is a very reasonable card to curve into on turn 3, and it hints that the Treant deck will likely be quite aggressive.

Finally we get Mulchmuncher, a big fat Mech with Rush and a dangerously tempting Mana reduction effect. We know from experience with Corridor Creeper and Giant cards how strong it can be to play big Minions for low amounts of Mana, but it won't be that easy to reduce Mulchmuncher's cost. If the Mana Treants from Living Mana count as Treants for this card, then I can easily see Mulchmuncher as finisher in an aggressive Treant decks.
      Will these new Treant cards turn Force of Nature and Witchwood Apple into playable cards? Or do you think the Treant cards will fall flat like the hand-size cards from The Witchwood? Let us know in the comment section, and be sure to check out our Boomsday Hub for more spoilers from the upcoming expansion.
    • By Aleco
      The latest Hearthside Chat with Peter Whalen revealed Supercollider, Flobbidinous Floop, and Whizbang the Wonderful from The Boomsday Project.

In the latest Hearthside Chat, Senior Game Designer Peter Whalen explained some of the themes (science) and inspirations (more science) for The Boomsday Project. In doing so, he spoiled three new incredibly exciting cards. If you're interested in watching the video (which is just 4:59 seconds long), you can do so right here:

Card Reveals

This card gets an "A" for flavor, as I don't think its possible to come up with a better design for a card called "Supercollider" in a science-themed set.
      This Warrior weapon has the potential to be a 2 or 3 for 1, as it can set up trades quite easily if you attack your opponent's largest minion with it. However, attacking your opponent's largest minion means you will also be dealing plenty of face damage to yourself, making high amounts of armor gain a requirement for putting this card in your deck. For that reason, Supercollider plays excellently with Baku the Mooneater, and I expect it to see play in Odd Warrior decks.

Next up is another card with an excellent name, Flobbidinous Floop. This guy provides a Faceless Manipulator-style effect for Druid decks for just 4 Mana, which will almost certainly make him a combo piece in a variety of Druid decks. Between Innervate, Twig of the World Tree, and Biology Project, there will almost certainly a few new OTKs with Flobbidinous Floop. He can also be used in Big Druid decks one turn after playing a huge minion, such as Ysera, Hadronox, or The Lich King, to become a 3/4 copy of a card with a powerful effect. Expect to see plenty of Flobbidinious Floop in the new meta!

Next we get Whizbang the Wonderful, which is one of the most unique and exciting cards in the history of Hearthstone. What does he do? Let me show you:

Whizbang the Wonderful replaces your entire deck. He replaces your hero, and he names your new deck "Whizbang is Wonderful". When you enter a game with this deck, you will be randomly handed 1 of 18 recent deck recipes by Blizzard at the start of the game.
      Will Whizbang be competitively viable? Almost certainly not, but I think that question is almost entirely missing the point. By adding Whizbang to the game, Blizzard has offered new players a way to access 18 different for just 1600 dust! Though its unlikely these 18 premade decks will be 100% meta optimal, they will almost certainly be viable enough for newer players to climb the earlier ranks while playing a wide variety of decks and learning new cards. This is the closest thing that Blizzard will probably ever do to selling pre-constructed decks (something that many other cards games do), which in my eyes is a major step forward. Will tryhards be disappointed when they open Whizbang? Probably. But not every Legendary minion needs to be a home run for the hardcore audience. Whizbang is the new player's best friend, and will surely add much more joy to the game of Hearthstone than he takes away.
      What do you think about today's spoilers? Will Supercollider see play? Can you find any new OTKs with Flobbidinous Floop? And are you as excited about Whizbang the Wonderful as I am? Let us know in the comments what you think about these new cards, and be sure to check out our Boomsday Hub for more spoilers from the upcoming expansion.
    • By Aleco
      A callback to Annoy-o-Tron, this new Mech card could be a serious player in the meta.

Episode 2 of "Enter Boom Labs" has revealed another new Magnetic card from The Boomsday Project, called Annoy-o-Module:

A callback to Annoy-o-Tron, this guy gains Magnetic and 1/2 worth of stats for just 2 Mana! The stats and keywords this card instantly adds to another Mech seem quite strong when you compare it to Blessing of Kings, which adds 2 more Attack to a minion but does not add Divine Shield and Taunt. This card isn't awful when played on it's own, and it plays well in a deck with Corpsetaker. Annoy-o-Module checks enough for boxes for me, and I full expect it to see play in the upcoming meta.
      Episode 2 of "Enter Boom Labs" is short but sweet, and you can watch the full video right here:

Do you think Annoy-o-Module impact the game as much as Annoy-o-Tron did? Let us know in the comment section, and be sure to check out our Boomsday Hub for more spoilers from the upcoming expansion.
    • By Aleco
      Use Mini-Rag to destroy enemy minions and level up your"Wow!" emote in this week's Tavern Brawl.

In celebration of The Midsummer Fire Festival, this week's Tavern Brawl is all about Ragnaros, Lightlord. Well, Mini-Rag to be more specific:

A 2/3 Ragnaros with Immune will start the game on one side of the board. At the end of each turn, Mini-Rag will deal 1 damage to a random target on the other side of the board for each Attack he has, then swap to the other side of the board. Each time he kills an enemy minion he will gain 1 Attack, growing in power as the game progresses.

Due to the sudden pressure that Mini-Rag applies to both players, I highly recommend playing an Aggro deck. I used Odd Rogue in my first game to take down an Odd Hunter. You could also play an anti-aggro deck to try and counter all the aggro decks running around, but be sure to play some self-healing such as Branching Paths or Healing Rain.

The Tavern Brawl will track how many minion kills that Mini-Rag racks up. After 8, 30, and 60 Minion kills, you will level up the fireworks in your "Wow!" emote. This is a returning Tavern Brawl from last year's festival, and your running total of Mini-Rag kills from last year's festival carries over to this year. Happy hunting!