Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lamortykins

[Balance] Why does Soul of the Forest sim ahead of Incarnation

5 posts in this topic

Hello all! 

Statistics show that the vast majority of balance druids are using Incarnation rather than SoTF or FoN. FoN is obviously pretty bad (unless you need to instantly root something, for some reason), but in every sim I've tested, SotF comes out slightly ahead of Incarnation.

The difference is not massive (usually slightly above 1%) but it seems odd that, with these talents being so close and Inc allegedly being slightly lower, Incarnation is still vastly more popular (http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/stats/talents/heroic/gruul/druidbalance#).

Is there something I'm missing? I imagine SotF is even more valuable with with the 4 piece because it would make CA stronger. Why does almost everyone use Incarnation?

Simulation of what? You forget to mention in which scenario you've been comparing the two talents. Fight length, variation, amount of targets and movement matters. 

Fight length especially matters, because it determines how many casts you can get off. On average you can get 0.33 Incarnation casts off per minute (1 every 3 minutes). However, if the fight lasts for example 4 minutes, then you can get 2 casts off total, which is 0.50 casts of Incarnation per minute. Incarnation is very strong on fights that last 3:26, 6:26 or 9:26 minutes, while being weakest on fights that last 2:56, 5:56 or 8:56 (assuming you precast Incarnation around -4 in your opener). 

Therefore, if you're simulating for a fight length of for example 6:00 minutes where Incarnation is relatively weak, you can expect to see really good performance from SotF as well. Incarnation is the most popular choice for many reasons

- Most fights are multi-target where Incarnation outperforms

- Incarnation is a cooldown you can control in order to get burst at the right times (Flamebender wolves, Phase 3 on Iron Maidens)

- As Incarnation is usually the better choice in most situations, people prefer to stick with the talent even when SotF is competitive

- Incarnation becomes very strong when farming bosses, where kill timers are reduced significantly (thus making your opener have a larger impact on your overall dps).

The only fight where you can consider SotF is Gruul if you're seeing kill timers around 6:00 minutes (enrage). 

The only fight where you can consider SotF is Gruul if you're seeing kill timers around 6:00 minutes (enrage). 

and if this is happening, then your group has much bigger problems than you worrying about what talent to use.

If you're killing it in less than 3m, then SotF might come out slightly ahead

I used SotF on our Gruul mythic kill, right after HFC was released. Back then enrage was a thing. 

If you're killing it in less than 3m, then SotF might come out slightly ahead

If the kill timer is less than 3m then Incarnation has a really great value as the opener has a bigger impact. 

I would only use SotF on single target fights with a kill time of ~6:00 or ~9:00 without any requirements for burst at specific times. 

Back then is not now, I would not have mentioned it if BFR had just come out.

And you're right. I haven't looked at this since BRF came out and remember saying what you're saying for Butcher where the shortness of it makes the burst better.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jorvalt
      So, I was just wondering out of curiosity if there was a way to change the weakauras trackers for sunfire and moonfire to be based on an absolute value of the maximum time sun/moonfire lasts for rather than being based on a percentage of how long the DoT has been active on the target. Basically, doing it the normal way, if you have Nature's Balance (which you should) then using solar wrath or lunar strike will extend the duration of sunfire/moonfire, respectively. However, basically all this does to the tracker is make it decrease slightly slower each time. For the sake of convenience I'm just going to refer to it as a bar because that's what I use. I want it so that when the DoT is at its maximum possible duration, the bar is completely full, and then decrease from there. That way, it's less confusing.
    • By Annabelle
      As the title says, I need some help with my dps. I feel like i should be doing a lot more. Specially when compared to the top balance druid in my guild, Malakye.
      Granted, I do not have the same legendaries, nor are the ones that I have (shoulder (Lady something), belt, boots and haste/crit ring) exceptionally good either. 

Currently I have about 24% haste and 70% mastery. It should be the other way around, but those are the stats that I get when using a 1.2 Haste, 1.1 int and 9.0 Mastery and 0.0 Crit/Vers.

I can push my stats to 32% Haste and 43.5% Mastery at the cost of 3,000 intellect. But I do not think that exchange is worth it. Nonetheless I shall try it tonight on Mythic Chronos.

Here are my warcraft logs:
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/16166731/latest
    • By Vulfheim
      I am playing balance in Mythic NH with 901 ilvl 49 traits, obviously the 5 final traits would help a lot, but i feel as if i'm not doing nearly as well as i should. I also have what i think to be the best 2 BiS legendaries right now. Head, and ring, while also having the wrists too.
      Starting rotation is: Pot,dots,3 moon casts, 1 solar wrath, 3 starsurges, all empowereds, repeat
      Need help as i honestly am getting frustrated that i cant perform as well as i need to and want to.
      Need all the help i can get. 
      Vulfheim
      Logs:
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/hBK2x8VRZj4c3rTN
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/gHp8VP4kN7TAXGWb#view=analytical
      Will have more logs as time goes on.

• By Aluni
      So this is the first time I've used forums for help, but I've had multiple people try to help me with my dps and I don't know what to do anymore. I've tried changing my talents multiple times, watching many different YouTube videos, and I'm to the point that I could just give up playing Balance Druid (though it's my favorite class/spec). I really don't want to do that so I would love some feedback as to what I should do differently.

Armory : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kelthuzad/Aluni/simple
      Warcraft Logs :  https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/13662653/latest

For my rotation I :
      Pre-Pot,
      Moonfire/Sunfire,
      New Moon/Half Moon/Full Moon,
      Starsurge,
      Solar Wrath,
      Lunar Strike,
      (then I use my Starsurge, 3x if possible, and continue casting Solar Wrath/Lunar Strike until my Astral Power climbs and I try to be sure Moonfire/Sunfire is cast at all times)

I would be very appreciative if someone could give me some tips and tell me what I'm doing wrong or where I'm screwing up! It really sucks being asked to leave raid because you can't pull your weight in dps.

• By Alexyeel
      Hi guys,
      After a 4 years stop I started playing wow again last December and changed my spec to balance (I was healer) and I really can't understand why my dps is so low.
      I'm not a skilled player in balance as I've never played it before but I'm always one of the last in dps even in mythic+1. I do not ride with my guild so the only raid experience I have  in Legion is on LFG mode but the result is the same. I've read the readable, tried all the talents trees, repeated again and again the rotations with just a few improvement. Today I wiped at Gul'dan in LFG and finally find another druid in party with stats close to mine and our combat logs are completely different. It was my first time with Gul'dan so for sure I made many mistakes with rotations due to inexperience (and a good part of panic not knowing exactly where to move) but how can it be that the other druid's moon fire deals 199k damage and mine only 22? In this log I had the buff from Azshari salad, Flask of the whispered pact and the Defiled Augment Rune. I also use potion of prolonged power at the beginning of the ink. Could it be only a matter of experience ? Or my gear is not good or am I doing wrong with rotation? 
      I have the second legendary Item in bag, the research will end saturday night, so in one week I will be able to wear also the necklace Prydaz, Xavaric's Magnum Opus.  I miss the enchant on the back as I dropped it today and didn't had time to buy it but I'll do it as soon as possible.  I know I lack haste and I'm trying to rise it up.
      In single target my rotation is MF, SF, NM-HM-FM-SS-SS-LS-LS-SW and so on.
      Please help me understand where I'm doing wrong.
      Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/it/character/pozzo-delleternita/Alexyeel/simple
      Combat Log: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/WFzRb8VNZm9LB42H#fight=2&type=damage-done
      Thank you very much =)