FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Liquidsteel

The Help My DPS Thread

Ody,

The ring is not the only difference on Iron Reaver.  If you had the ring and assuming you got a 1M explosion over a 125s encounter you can add 8k to your total, which brings you up to ~80k (and yeah, the damage buff during the 15s of the ring, but I'm oversimplifying here).  You're still missing some damage to get on his level and the difference is in the DoT uptimes and the DSI.

DoTs:

You:  96.71%, 91.33%, 95.91%, 51.17% Drain Soul, 63.06% Haunt

Him:  98.7%, 98.54%, 98.7%, 56.44% Drain Soul, 77.87% Haunt

Regarding Kilrogg, he went down into the visions with the Warrior (who was able to clean up all the adds down there) then came out with a 10% damage buff for 1-min where he got Bloodlust, ring, and all his cooldowns.  He really didn't even nail it because he should have used his Dark Soul better.  

Xarlock,

Your DoT uptimes are low (88%, 91%, 72%).  They should be 98%+.  You can probably do well with some Soul Swaps on that encounter if you use the Glyph and time it when you have 3+ shards available.  You didn't get the full use of BL, Doomguard and 2nd potion (unfortunate timing).  You also should have had 5 uses of Dark Soul in a 6:34 encounter but you only used 4.  Your Dark Soul never lines up with the ring use.  

Edited by Axxym

Thanks Axxym,

One further question.....the DOT uptimes....are you referring specifically to DOTs on Archi?

Thanks I will switch out the glyph and set up a TMW to time up the ring

Looking for any tips/tricks to increase DPS where I can.  I came back after a long hiatus since May, so I'm still learning encounters and the best way to maximize DPS per fight.

Here are all of my logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/594584/latest/

and my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/earthen-ring/Aym/simple

One note: On Kormrok, we have so much AoE burst that it doesn't seem worth to even do hand damage, perhaps I'm wrong here.

Xarlock, the dot times I mentioned were your dots on any targets at any time over the course of the encounter. You're letting them fall off too much.

Aym, I agree with you on Kormrok you have people taking care of the hands in your group so you should single target the boss. But even then your dot times are low and you're letting haunting spirits drop. What's your thinking behind taking a little while on pull to get everything going? Otherwise I think you're doing OK. Lining up your cooldowns fine. Iron Reaver ground phase is better on dot uptimes for single target. Weird time for your raid to cast lust. Not much you can to about that. It's really as simple as keeping your dots at 98%+ and haunting spirits at 100%.

I've been experimenting with that, I'm on a pretty far soak spot so the boss quickly goes out of range and DSI drops by the time we stack and lust. It feels like saving the procs is worth more than a few seconds of boss dps, I'm just not too sure what the best route is on that fight. I hope my haunting spirits is only dropping during leaps when I go to soak, I actually didn't look at that - I'll check the stamps when I get home.. if not then I definitely have to fix that since there really isn't anything else going on during that fight..

I think we usually lust on pull but just forgot on that kill, but I never really pay attention since our members aren't quite good enough to one phase the fight :/

Use your Demonic Circle on your soak spot and then your gateway if necessary to get to your soak spot quickly.  You should be opening by pre-casting a SB:Haunt and getting your DoTs up right away and then you at least have a few channels of Drain Soul.  It's ok if you wait till he leaps back when lust is cast to use your Dark Soul and Doomguard, but the logs look like you just got your DoTs up and stood there for a good while.  

Dear fellow locks,

i am approaching Mithic HFC where i have some 40 wipes only with Reaver and Kormrok only atm.

WoD is my first exp ever and i managed to learn Demo first (HM and BRF) and Affli (HFC) all with decent results up to Heroic lvl.

My problem today is that i am not fast enought to deal with the quick "sniping" necessary to perform well with destro and therefore i would like to understand if Demo is viable in Mithic in those few fights (Assault for example) where affli really struggles to the point that no pug is taking me in for the fight.

Thx for any help!

First time posting but have used site for quite a while for assistance and guidance. I'm currently getting back into raiding after taking a extended break from the game. I'm currently playing aff/destro and I'm a 711 ilvl equipped, I seem to be lower every fight than the other raiding warlock even though on some fights my dot up time seems really good. I'm just looking for some pointers to help me get better damage output and dps.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Deighan/simple

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/DhcNp2MaqPHWV89K

Dear fellow locks,

i am approaching Mithic HFC where i have some 40 wipes only with Reaver and Kormrok only atm.

WoD is my first exp ever and i managed to learn Demo first (HM and BRF) and Affli (HFC) all with decent results up to Heroic lvl.

My problem today is that i am not fast enought to deal with the quick "sniping" necessary to perform well with destro and therefore i would like to understand if Demo is viable in Mithic in those few fights (Assault for example) where affli really struggles to the point that no pug is taking me in for the fight.

Thx for any help!

Regarding Destro, you should have enemy nameplates that highlight/spotlight and/or change colour and grow when an add is <20% health.  Then with a mouseover macro for Shadowburn you can eliminate target switching and it should be a bit easier to get some snipes in.

Regarding Demo, it certainly performs well below Destro and Affliction at the moment but you can probably get away with playing any spec you want at this point.  Really not recommended as you'll be able to get a lot more out of Destro/Aff, but if you're really set on it then go for it.

First time posting but have used site for quite a while for assistance and guidance. I'm currently getting back into raiding after taking a extended break from the game. I'm currently playing aff/destro and I'm a 711 ilvl equipped, I seem to be lower every fight than the other raiding warlock even though on some fights my dot up time seems really good. I'm just looking for some pointers to help me get better damage output and dps.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Deighan/simple

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/DhcNp2MaqPHWV89K

You should be playing with the talents Grimoire of Sacrifice and Haunting Spirits.  

Hello, fellow warlocks.

I'm definitely in need of your help. I know of one my rotation problem - i do not use havoc. but some days ago i met another warlock in the hellfire citadel and saw him doing massively more damage. in PVP spec... Well, i had to post here and ask for your help. What am i doing wrong besides havoc?

my armory - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/азурегос/Тергос/advanced

his armory - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/азурегос/Пламенный/advanced

logs from that run - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/28vrM4XY7aKtw9Gy#fight=70&type=summary

Tergos, with no set bonuses and your ilvl I would make a couple changes to your talents. Go with Grimoire of Supremacy and Demonic Servitude. Get that big bad terror guard out and he will help a lot.

Also your activity numbers seem to be a bit low. Follow the A.B.C.s of dps. Always - Be - Casting.

Those are two quick tips for you. When you get some set bonuses going then hit up the grim: Sac and CR.

Changed talents for the demon, got two pieces of tier, then switched back to sac + CR.

Looks like dps is better now. Many thanks. Any suggestions how to improve further?

armory - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/азурегос/Тергос/advanced

new logs - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/ARjtrgPKHbvFxGLp

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6B4TVfdRmabJD9C7

On 7/3/2016 at 5:20 AM, Tergos said:

Changed talents for the demon, got two pieces of tier, then switched back to sac + CR.

Looks like dps is better now. Many thanks. Any suggestions how to improve further?

armory - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/азурегос/Тергос/advanced

new logs - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/ARjtrgPKHbvFxGLp

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6B4TVfdRmabJD9C7

Make sure Advanced Combat Logging is enabled. We will be able to get a lot more from the logs that way. 

I have been having a pretty specific problem with my DPS. Really two problems. My DPS on single or dual target is alright at first, I get to 150k, 160k, but then drops. With AOE, my DPS is pretty much gone, and any fights that are movement heavy things get even worse. Dropping to 70 or 80k. One thing I have been noticing, is my Shard production seems very low. I main destruction, and I cannot maintain eradication at all. I never really find myself with an abundance of soul shards, and they don't develop fast enough before the debuff drops, and it sometimes takes even longer before I get enough shards.

I also tried affliction, and my DPS was even worse. With affliction though, I haven't really done as much with my artifact, and I currently have not gotten any relics for it. I am pretty sure I messed up my path with my destruction artifact, and am currently saving artifact power to refund the points and focus it more, but I see some different opinions on doing that. Some sources will say it does not make that big a difference, and some say we are heavily dependent on it.

I don't have a  lot of access to my information at the moment, as I am at work. But it is a slow day so I thought I would spend more time researching this issue. I've been grouped with a Warlock that had lower lvl gear at 110 and in the same spec, he out DPS'ed me. The only big advantage I saw that he had was his artifact was ilvl 855, mine is only 809.

Any help would be great. I know with affliction I need to beef up my artifact more, but as destruction I can tell I can do better. My average rotation as destruction on bosses is I open with immolate and two conflags, then I pop my artifact ability, doomguard and servitude Imp cooldown, sometimes I have a shard to pop a chaos bolt, sometimes I don't so I incinerate before I conflag and chaos bolt at that point. from there I do my best to maintain eradication as much as I can, while keeping immolate on target and popping cooldowns as they become available. Some fights I am able to keep eradication up a lot longer but midway through, my shard production just fizzles. Also, for affliction, I have zero shard generation, so maintaining unstable affliction is flat out impossible, not sure how to adjust that. 

Character name is Laetianna, server is Stonemaul. Sadly armory is not seeming to fully update with some of my gear upgrades from last night. I don't know how to show my current artifact path from work, but when I get home I could make a screen shot.

16 hours ago, jitbtwin52 said:

Character name is Laetianna, server is Stonemaul. Sadly armory is not seeming to fully update with some of my gear upgrades from last night. I don't know how to show my current artifact path from work, but when I get home I could make a screen shot.

The best thing you can do in this situation is provide a log of yourself playing as each spec. We can then assess if it is a rotation or playstyle issue, as well as what you can improve.

If you don't know how to record a log, Zagam's guide is a bit old but still does the job.

On 9/10/2016 at 0:56 PM, jitbtwin52 said:

I also tried affliction, and my DPS was even worse. With affliction though, I haven't really done as much with my artifact, and currently have not gotten any relics for it. I am pretty sure I messed up my path with my destruction artifact, and am currently saving artifact power to refund the points and focus it more, but I see some different opinions on doing that. Some sources will say it does not make that big a difference, and some say we are heavily dependent on it

One of the most painful things you can do, is go to a spec you're not advanced in (talents, level, iLvl, etc..) or much worse, to a class you normally don't play, and expect reasonable results, either in raw numbers or overall. 

Specs have differing playstyles, just like differing classes, anymore.  Affliction being notably worse, with its rampup time and relatively low number / strength of offensive cooldowns, especially on short duration fights. 

ie. dont expect numbers of a similarly geared Afflic to match a Destro on anything short.  Your rampup time is going to kill you.  When you note that your weapons are not equally matched (which is half the battle this expansion, honestly.) 

My suggestion is stick with the spec youre liking the most, and work on it that way.  Have you watched youtube videos?  Honestly, the people who theorycraft it can get the numbers and the 'priorities,' but seeing it in action from a good video can do wonders. 

Hello Everyone,

I have posted in this thread before back in the HM/BRF days.  So, here I am again seeking guidance early in the expansion.  I am currently a Demonology warlock raiding with Invoke on Arthas that is currently pushing top 50 US progression guilds.  I consider myself to be a fairly competent raider and reliable warlock.  However, this expansion, more than any other, leaves me scratching my head.  Tonight at launch of the Emerald Dream we started with heroics first.  Like most raid leaders, they stressed the importance on mechanics and not DPS.  So for the first 9 attempts I was very low on damage taken and ranging from top 5 on damage done to 17; this number purely dictated by mechanics and positioning.  After 9 pulls I was removed along with another DPS.  I was told that my DPS was a bit too low.  I looked at logs and I admit that it can definitely approve which is why I'm here obvious.  I do think my damage taken was very professional and the way I handled mechanics was very good as well.  The reason I am here is because i have a feeling one of two things is wrong; my opening sequence, or itemization.  At the time the below logs were recorded and time I raided tonight my iLvL was 853.  After running some sims and changing it up I am currently sitting at 848, but sim higher than I did at 853. 

However, after removing me and that other DPS they killed Nythenrda in 3 attempts; the first attempt should have been a kill, but the server crashed.  Then they went on to clear 3/7 Heroic. So clearly I feel like I am to blame to some degree and I can't accept that.  I was invited back for attempts on Elerethe Renfernal (ER).  During the time I had between the first and fourth boss I lowered my iLvL from 853 to 848 in favor of better itemization.  I still seemed to do poor DPS on ER. 

I would GREATLY APPRECIATE any help from the community as I look to be the best I can be and continue to be apart of the top 100 US progression. 

LOGS:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/tcGm4A1WjTKPQY8J#fight=2

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/jdyzvqpANkwK76Ma#fight=13

ARMORY:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/arthas/Thesixthman/simple

**NOTE** I changed gear between Nythendra and ER.

If there is any necessary information that I have left out PLEASE feel free to let me know.  I am looking to fix my mistakes and be ready for the rest of this full heroic clear starting tomorrow night.  Thanks again, guys!

First run of the night with a relatively casual guild got Nyth down in under 10 pulls! That is a win. I checked the logs and in comparison to other Demo Locks I look miles behind. My Thalkiels are looking low as well... I try to Main pet(1) Doomguard(1) Dreads(4 with talent) 2 sets of imps(4+4) on pull. Thoughts on optimizing?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/yhHf7YM364a9mkcK/#type=damage-done&fight=9&source=10

There doesn't seem so many people about here now (or people are very busy doing their own raiding) so to everyone if you are serious about improving your performance long-term I really would advise learning how to read and compare logs. Here is a very basic guide to find some of the major issues in your play. Then later as you become more experienced you can look far deeper and at the specific issues. I have barely touched Affliction so I haven't bothered commenting on any abilities connected to that. 

Firstly, find an excellent parse with a kill time very similar to yours and go through each tab. On the Damage Done one compare the number of casts, hits (to see if you are casting but the mobs keep dying before the spell lands), % of damage and damage done (though this can vary somewhat depending on stats and item level) for each ability. Note down any issues.

On Damage Taken see where you are failing the most compared to your raid.

On Buffs (or Casts tab) check that you are using your Racial and Potions enough. Are they coinciding with BL/TW/other buffs? If Demo Check out overall Demonic Empowerment uptime.

Under Debuffs check out DoT uptime for each relevant mob. Eradication (if using) and Havoc (if using) uptime.

Resources Mana. Check that you do not OOM (unless using Mana Tap then make sure you are not spamming Life Tap). Soul Shards try to avoid getting to 5. Once you get more handy with logs you can pin stuff and combine the graphs as example to show how many soul shards you have and whether say Eradication is active to see if you are missing possible casts.

On the Casts tab just above the graph click on every ability name. Now are there gaps in your graph? If so then this is when you are casting nothing. Try to minimise those gaps. It is hard with our immobile specs now (well Demo and Destro anyhow) if we do have to move but this can be a significant loss of damage if we are standing there doing nothing. If you can work out how see if during those gaps how your mana is. Did you perhaps miss a tap?

Now get rid of all the spells again apart from DoTs. Are you perhaps casting them too often and losing those GCDs? Sometimes though we will be casting the instant ones too early while on the move. If Demo pay special attention to Demonic Empowerment. Too many casts will cost you a lot as well in missed SB/DB casts and lost soul shards. 

Just above the Casts tab click on Events. Now compare your opener to guides.  

I am totally out of practice with log reading and I don't have the knowledge or experience yet in order to really look into Legion ones so I may have missed a lot of important abilities/factors. As some Demo examples like amount of mobs out for TKC, whether you casts summons together when you can and whether you cast DE after each summon. This should be a good start though so hope it helped. Good luck.  

I'm having problems with maintaining my dps throughout the raid. In 5 mans I always do really well but something about Normal/heroic raids im always bottom tier of the dps. Could someone analyze my dps and let me know if im doing something wrong. Im stacking Haste/crit and I feel like my rotation is solid. Thanks!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/area-52/Tipsynipple/simple

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fyj7kQBC6WLwnvgd/#type=damage-done&source=16

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fyj7kQBC6WLwnvgd#fight=4&type=damage-done&source=16

Edited by Tipsynipple

Hi

I've struggling to pull decent dps numbers through the demonology spec, I have middle of the road gear, nothing super special. My iLvl is 831, and i have 15 levels put into the artifact weapon following the recommended pathways. Im aware of the stat priorities however i cannot seem to consistently keep 120k+ dps i usually average around 100k.  Do i need more artifact power? is there something wrong with my gear or rotation? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

This might not be super up to date, but i'll drop it in anyways:

http://www.wowprogress.com/character/us/zul-jin/Schulerj

General rotation i use:

1. call dreadstrikers

2. apply demonic empowerment

3.apply doom to targets

4. cast felguard off cooldown

5. apply demonic empowerment 

6. summon doomguard on cooldown

7. apply demonic empowerment

8. demonbolt x 4

9. Hand of Gul'dan

10. demonic empowerment

11. Thal'kiel Consumption 

1. Post logs. Without logs there is basically nothing anyone can do to help you.
  2. Demo is very reliant on haste, until you get around 845+ with haste on all or almost all items your DPS will be a bit on the meh side.
  3. GoSyn > GoSup in basically everything.