FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Liquidsteel

The Help My DPS Thread

The raid set up makes it harder sometimes for sure. This week I noticed a significant difference in my SB damage while we have the second lock, second hunter and SP missing. However, sometimes I think that people can also place too much emphasis on this and fail to realise how many other apsects are also affecting their numbers.

My personal advice is not to give up and keep working on the areas that you do poorly with, try to speed up your reactions in target switching and with mouseovers and you should see better percentiles again and again (or at least I am slowly improving most of the time). Though yeah indeed fights like Kilrogg it's pretty impossible for me to get more than a CB on the little adds and bloods which only gets worse as people get more gear. I used to think Destro locks really sucked at certain fights (mainly thinking of Xhul, Mann and Arch aka higher movement fights) but really it was mostly me playing badly and now I am getting more competitive all the time. 

I was hoping I could get some help with my poor destruction skills, or at least input on what I'm doing wrong. I'm pretty confident in my Affliction play, but seeing as I can't play that on every fight, I need to improve as Destro. In these logs, I am Sozilicious.

H Archimonde

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/C3vGMk184dNwQTBf#type=damage-done&fight=5 

M Hellfire Assault

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/C3vGMk184dNwQTBf#type=damage-done&fight=9- Should add I am running crates, but I feel like my DPS is pitiful on this even with that in mind.

H Mannoroth

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/m7j1DxKwnt2QYHqf#type=damage-done&fight=36- I'm barely beating tanks when playing Destro, so I'm clearly doing something wrong here.

H Mannoroth 2

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/vyXPZq9aQRBVn1Ff#type=damage-done&fight=23- Once again, barely beating tanks.

Armory 

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/perenolde/Sozilicious/advanced- I currently use the same gear for both specs. 

Thanks in advance for any help or input I can get.

Hi Tadmg,

Started writing a longer post but have been called away. Until I can get back to it tomorrow, or someone else replies, for now I would suggest to focus on Immolate uptime and using Havoc on cooldown or pre-casting it if there are not always adds up. Then make sure you use all stacks every time on SB>CB>other stuff. If you are raiding tonight then you should see a significant increase from just these changes.

Good luck 

Oh and snipe way more SBs

Edited by spikeysquad

Hi Tadmg,

From looking at your first Mannoroth log mainly here are some issues that I found:

Immolate uptime (only 66% on Mannoroth)

Havoc. You cast it only 6 times in 6 1/2 minutes but then fail to actually use any of the stacks on the good stuff!

Using Doomy way too late. Either in opener (if safely on farm) or at least a minute to boss death. Potion was also too late for full effect

Lack of SB sniping (do you have decent nameplates to show execute mobs clearly? Do you have a mouseover SB macro?)

RoF for moving or part of your rotation? 

Find out which adds give you the most DPS on Mannoroth. Personally I found doing lots of Infernal damage increased my DPS the most but it will depend on raid set up. Our Imps die too quick so I just SB them mostly

You are not syncing DS with the ring

Lack of CBs in DS and other strong buffs (twice it seems you went into DS without high embers)

Becoming ember capped too often/staying that way too long

At one point 46 seconds without a CB! Generally you should be able to get more out over the whole fight than you are

CB>SB in execute now unless you are using Havoc or you will get the embers back

Do you find Dark Regen is essential? Only one cast in 6 minutes is easily outweighed by Soul Leech. Do you really need Sac Pact?

Seems like you only had GoSac on for about 60% of the fight so a that meant a lot of lost DPS

So quite a few issues but that means you now know what to improve on :)

Good luck

• Like 1

Okay, thank you very much for taking the time to look into this for me SpikeySquad. I appreciate it, and will be trying to keep all of these things in mind for the future. As for the GoSac thing, that's something that happens quite rarely, but I do have a bit of a bad memory, so once in a while I'll realize I don't have pet sac'd. I should really make a Weak Aura for it, to remind me when I have that talent selected.

Hey all. Pretty new to..everything, and just looking for help with my DPS. Just started logging on a pub Iskar attempt while I wait for the guild to approve me on warcraftlogs, but hoping someone an help me with this.

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/6bd4a895-cf0f-4fed-8cca-a2be3ca69739/compare/3#c=21,cl=021b0ee4-4303-4ef2-8ca4-7f8cbbdd827a,cf=62,cp=17,cb=damage-total,cc=use

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel like there's some big mistake I'm making stifling my DPS.

Hi

Our raid group is looking to improve our 1 warlock. Our groups Warcraftlogs skills jave capped out and looking to see if anyone else can spot things on where to improve

Armoury: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/alakir/Ilkior/advanced

the other warlock is

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/karazhan/Rafaj/advanced

Logs from last raid night: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/gCtDqXyPZ4FpvabB#type=damage-done&fight=9

On a mostly single target fight the 2 warlocks in the group are close on damage. The moment adds come into it they pull apart in final dps.

Both have low uptimes on Immolate. But is the difference due to just Havoc & Shadowburn usage? 

You're very welcome Tadmg. Can I suggest to stop playing Affliction for a bit? At least on farm. Practice the points I listed and you should see a significant jump and stuff becoming a lot more automatic. Yeah there are WAs about to tell if you if you are missing a pet or the GoSac buff depending on your talents. Good luck. 

Sorry Suspenders but I have never learnt to read AMR Logs so will have have to skip that for now. 

For Pittstop,

Do your 2 locks actually talk to one another? Find it sad when the same class members do not. By each doing better they push the another to improve (well at least if they have an ounce of competitiveness). Anyhow, moving on. 

So I got the impression that you are more concerned about Ilkior? I will not compare them to your second lock but rather to a top class one. 

The issues that I found in the Mannorth log for Ilkior:

Very low Immolate uptime (only 43% on Mannoroth taking into account your early death). Sometimes you actually cast it too early though and waste that time. Are you aware of the pandemic effect and the safe time?

Only 6 Havoc casted in the 7 minutes but not a single one used on SB>CB so stacks need to watched a lot more. When adds are about/due you pretty much want to use this on cooldown

7 F&B CBs but they only make 14 hits so you are actually casting them when you shouldn't (and wasting embers). You tend to need at the very least 3 targets and probably more like 4 to be safe and be able to sustain F&B. Were the Imps perhaps dying before it hit? Or were the targets just were not close enough?

Only 15 SB (Do you have decent nameplates to show execute mobs clearly? Do you have a mouseover SB macro?). Sniping kills for the ember returns is pretty important on a fight like this but sometimes the Imps just die too fast! SBx3 (in an ideal world) with Havoc is lots of missed DPS as well

A missed DS cast (assuming you are playing with AD) but perhaps you were waiting for 2 in execute (and then died)? Try to avoid being capped on stacks as sometimes you will miss the uses and ideally you should be using it with the ring

Remember to go into DS with high embers each time. Dump your 3 or 4CBs, build back up and dump again. GSR is also very nice for dumping

For overall damage Doomy is better at the start (but yeah if you still struggle at the end it's more sensible then)

RoF used for moving only? 24 casts is very very high. Do you know to bank Conflag for movement?

Resource Management seems decent. Need to get some more CBs out though in general. More SB kills=More CBs

Hope this helps you improve

Disclaimer: Always may be errors.

Edited by spikeysquad

Thanks Spikeysquad for the info. Will pass it along. Also put some comments below.

You're very welcome Tadmg. Can I suggest to stop playing Affliction for a bit? At least on farm. Practice the points I listed and you should see a significant jump and stuff becoming a lot more automatic. Yeah there are WAs about to tell if you if you are missing a pet or the GoSac buff depending on your talents. Good luck. 

Sorry Suspenders but I have never learnt to read AMR Logs so will have have to skip that for now. 

For Pittstop,

Do your 2 locks actually talk to one another? Find it sad when the same class members do not. By each doing better they push the another to improve (well at least if they have an ounce of competitiveness). Anyhow, moving on. 

(I am the other lock, and we do talk to each other. Both of us want to improve. But log analysis ability at this point is something that is still also being worked on)

So I got the impression that you are more concerned about Ilkior? I will not compare them to your second lock but rather to a top class one. 

The issues that I found in the Mannorth log for Ilkior:

Very low Immolate uptime (only 43% on Mannoroth taking into account your early death). Sometimes you actually cast it too early though and waste that time. Are you aware of the pandemic effect and the safe time?

(This is something that will be addressed as it is low on all fights in the logs)

Only 6 Havoc casted in the 7 minutes but not a single one used on SB>CB so stacks need to watched a lot more. When adds are about/due you pretty much want to use this on cooldown (pre-Havoc'ing targets will be mentioned)

7 F&B CBs but they only make 14 hits so you are actually casting them when you shouldn't (and wasting embers). You tend to need at the very least 3 targets and probably more like 4 to be safe and be able to sustain F&B. Were the Imps perhaps dying before it hit? Or were the targets just were not close enough? (Imps if clumped usually die pretty quickly with our group, so most likely wasted CB's)

Only 15 SB (Do you have decent nameplates to show execute mobs clearly? Do you have a mouseover SB macro?). Sniping kills for the ember returns is pretty important on a fight like this but sometimes the Imps just die too fast! SBx3 (in an ideal world) with Havoc is lots of missed DPS as well (Can only get 1 SB if lucky on an imp, ranged in our group focus the infernals)

A missed DS cast (assuming you are playing with AD) but perhaps you were waiting for 2 in execute (and then died)? Try to avoid being capped on stacks as sometimes you will miss the uses and ideally you should be using it with the ring (Both of us are looking at this)

Remember to go into DS with high embers each time. Dump your 3 or 4CBs, build back up and dump again. GSR is also very nice for dumping

For overall damage Doomy is better at the start (but yeah if you still struggle at the end it's more sensible then)

(We tend to save the Doomguard for bloodlust phase)

RoF used for moving only? 24 casts is very very high. Do you know to bank Conflag for movement?

Resource Management seems decent. Need to get some more CBs out though in general. More SB kills=More CBs

Hope this helps you improve

Disclaimer: Always may be errors.

Log from Archimonde - we did not log last night's attempt, when I was notified I would be benched if my DPS didn't pick up.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/kb2H69z4YZrNgR8h#fight=3

My armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/hyjal/Suspenders/simple

Last night I was able to pace with the Warlock Newks and the S.Priest Seriusclass, but we were all removed and told to improve our DPS, hence why I'm here. 

You're welcome Pittstop. I am glad that you are chatting between yourselves. I didn't look at your logs but nearly all Destro issues are the same so if you also think about the points I listed then you may realise where you can improve as well. Hope I was helpful to you both.

Suspenders, do you only play Affliction? In theory you could possibly get more overall damage but I just find that a very strange spec choice for the fight style during progression (and not easy to read either on this boss either). Of course it does depend on how quickly the adds die and perhaps boss damage is lacking. I will say though that it is a harder fight for locks in general but of course there will be areas that you can improve on.

2 questions:

1. How are you guys performing to the rest of your raid in terms of wow percentile/bracket percentile?

2. Any pointers for me? warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/139531/latest#boss=0

I feel that while I am trying to do the best, I am unable to get to some of the ranks thats some of the people can constantly maintain. Whether that is because I was/am until recently undergeared compared to the rest of my raid, or that I am not put in positions to do those numbers or it is just plain lock, I have no idea.

Edited by adinifinito

For Suspenders,

I really do not know how to Affliction on Archimonde so if you had logs of other fights I could probably help a lot more. Anyhow, some pointers (maybe?). Currently looking at mainly log 3:

DoT uptime on Archi: Agony 99, Corr 93, UA 81 so too low if your plan/role is to maximise boss damage. Wipes 1 & 2 were a lot worse

Haunting Spirits uptime only 67% though you throw out a lot of regular Haunts

DS glyph is not good for Affliction. Are you planning to save 2 DS for execute? As you didn't however this looks like new progression so not sure you will be getting there anyhow

No pre-cast in opener (that I can see)/lower burst

To be aware Drain Soul on the low side but that should improve as you learn the flow of the fight and minimise movement

No Teleport use so could it be good for this fight?

Are you sure you need both SacPact and Unending Resolve? I much prefer the glyph for the latter for this kind of fight. What pet are you saccing? As you don't use the Voidy cooldown or interrupt from what I can see

Your Drain Life only gives 10-11k healing per tick. Doesn't seem worth it to me but I guess if your healers are struggling then maybe? I tend to think locks are the hardiest class so I slack on the personal cooldowns and go with preventative talent choices

On other wipes see some adds that you seem to never damage. Perhaps you do not want to DoT them if they die too quick and/or you are focusing on the boss but I tend to think you should be sniping all kills with Drain Soul as more shards will help with Haunt and even being able to Soul Swap eventually

Too much to look into but do the adds you DoT live long enough?

Are Haste enchants actually better than Mastery? For multi-target as for me they are not (in Sims anyhow)

Other than that not quite sure what is wrong as it is a crazy fight and especially with Affliction to read. You died a couple of times early as well. Didn't look into whether that was your issue or not but might be something to work on as well (or the guild needs to sort healing and Shackles better). Good luck

Edited by spikeysquad

2 questions:

1. How are you guys performing to the rest of your raid in terms of wow percentile/bracket percentile?

2. Any pointers for me? warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/139531/latest#boss=0

I feel that while I am trying to do the best, I am unable to get to some of the ranks thats some of the people can constantly maintain. Whether that is because I was/am until recently undergeared compared to the rest of my raid, or that I am not put in positions to do those numbers or it is just plain lock, I have no idea.

To answer your first question, I am upper/middle of the pack compared to the rest of my guild in both brackets. However, with how fights are this tier, and this expac in general, I do not believe rankings matter nearly as much as they have in the past. For example, on Kormrok, instead of everyone gearing aoe to rank as high as possible, we all gear single target because the hands melt anyway. It's all about how well you are performing your given tasks in a fight (such as aoeing ghosts on Socrethar or soaking doomfire on Archimonde). Fights like Kilrogg and Hellfire High Council have damage buffs that distort rankings and make them obsolete.

As for how you can improve your parses? Well, as previously stated, they simply don't matter that much unless you are parsing extremely low. In mythic you naturally will parse low until you get a competitive amount of gear and begin to parse highly. Your heroic parses, though look great, as you have the competitive ilvl for it. I have the same problem right now, and I am not worrying too much about it.

If you feel you are under fire for low parses, just start playing to do stuff that matters. Priority damage is the main thing I'm looking at here. On Kormrok, it seems you love to go Destro and AoE the hands. This is making your boss damage suffer quite tremendously. My most recent kill I was second on boss damage because I went aff to maximize the priority damage.

Here is the parse if you really want to see it: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Tv7P283xDBJG9CKX#type=damage-done&target=359

Also, raid awareness is a big thing if you fear your raid spot. Just don't stand in bad. Plain and simple. If your UI is ill suited to it, change it! I try to have as little going on in my screen because I wan't to see everything!

If this doesn't help, and you feel like your damage is a serious issue for some reason, I'll look further into your logs. Unfortunately I could only skim them right now, as I am leaving for work soon. Best of luck, though!

I missing it somehow. What damage buff does council have?

If you get targeted by Gurtogg's Fel Rage, you do 200% increased damage to him while you have it.

I missing it somehow. What damage buff does council have?

If you get targeted by Gurtogg's Fel Rage, you do 200% increased damage to him while you have it.

Guess the tooltip I looked at didn't have this info. Good to know, even if I haven't been targeted yet.

A thank you would have been nice Suspenders... However, did you even read my post? As you did not seem to make any changes in your talent or glyph choices. Until you unglyph DS your damage will be lacking.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/t1yzCnRbPTWAqa9G#fight=46&type=damage-done A WCL log of that fight.

Edited by spikeysquad

A thank you would have been nice 

lol, I've been doing this for two years, read thousands of posts, audited hundreds of logs, answered dozens of PMs, and fielded god only knows how many ingame mails and whispers. I can count the number of people that said 'thank you' on both hands and half a foot.

• Like 1

A thank you would have been nice Suspenders... However, did you even read my post? As you did not seem to make any changes in your talent or glyph choices. Until you unglyph DS your damage will be lacking.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/t1yzCnRbPTWAqa9G#fight=46&type=damage-done A WCL log of that fight.

I hadn't, the last reply to me I had seen prior to posting the Zakuun fight was 

"Suspenders, do you only play Affliction? In theory you could possibly get more overall damage but I just find that a very strange spec choice for the fight style during progression (and not easy to read either on this boss either). Of course it does depend on how quickly the adds die and perhaps boss damage is lacking. I will say though that it is a harder fight for locks in general but of course there will be areas that you can improve on."

Apologies, and thank you for your well thought out response.

For Suspenders,

I really do not know how to Affliction on Archimonde so if you had logs of other fights I could probably help a lot more. Anyhow, some pointers (maybe?). Currently looking at mainly log 3:

DoT uptime on Archi: Agony 99, Corr 93, UA 81 so too low if your plan/role is to maximise boss damage. Wipes 1 & 2 were a lot worse

Haunting Spirits uptime only 67% though you throw out a lot of regular Haunts

I believe this is due to mismanagement of Soul Shards. Is it woth it to spend one Shard to keep Haunt on target, or is it better to save for Haunting Spirits?

DS glyph is not good for Affliction. Are you planning to save 2 DS for execute? As you didn't however this looks like new progression so not sure you will be getting there anyhow

Our wipes are usually between 25%-15% percent, and yes, it is progression. Which glyph should I replace it with? I've been using

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/affliction-warlock-pve-dps-guide as my reference guide.

No pre-cast in opener (that I can see)/lower burst

Admittedly bad play, no excuse.

To be aware Drain Soul on the low side but that should improve as you learn the flow of the fight and minimise movement

Looking at my Zakuun fight, this seems to be a recurring trend. I believe I tunnel too much on keeping DoTs fresh, and need to be more mindful to channel at more opportunities.

No Teleport use so could it be good for this fight?

I do usually keep a Gate up, but apparently this fight I didn't. No excuse.

Are you sure you need both SacPact and Unending Resolve? I much prefer the glyph for the latter for this kind of fight. What pet are you saccing? As you don't use the Voidy cooldown or interrupt from what I can see

While learning the Archimonde fight I've taken a lot of unnecessary damage and have specced into both for extra mitigation. I usually use the Fel Hunter, but our guild has set interrupts and I have mine as a back-up. I will try Void next attempts.

Your Drain Life only gives 10-11k healing per tick. Doesn't seem worth it to me but I guess if your healers are struggling then maybe? I tend to think locks are the hardiest class so I slack on the personal cooldowns and go with preventative talent choices

Drain Life is used in sub-20% HP situations as a last resort. I will refrain from using it in future pulls after Glyphs have been changed.

On other wipes see some adds that you seem to never damage. Perhaps you do not want to DoT them if they die too quick and/or you are focusing on the boss but I tend to think you should be sniping all kills with Drain Soul as more shards will help with Haunt and even being able to Soul Swap eventually

I often find myself struggling to proc Shards - this is a fundamental misplay and I will be more aware of sniping with Drain Soul.

Too much to look into but do the adds you DoT live long enough?

Dooom Lords yes. The felhunters are not priority for me, but I suppose I should be using Drain Soul on their death.

Are Haste enchants actually better than Mastery? For multi-target as for me they are not (in Sims anyhow)

Using AMR Best-In-Slot options and the guide previously linked, Haste =/= Mastery. Do you suggest I resocket and enchant completely?

Other than that not quite sure what is wrong as it is a crazy fight and especially with Affliction to read. You died a couple of times early as well. Didn't look into whether that was your issue or not but might be something to work on as well (or the guild needs to sort healing and Shackles better). Good luck

Shackles has been a recurring issue for our raid. This was the only log available for me to post at the time of my original request, I would have prefered a fight I was more comfortable with, but regardless I appreciate your input.

lol, I've been doing this for two years, read thousands of posts, audited hundreds of logs, answered dozens of PMs, and fielded god only knows how many ingame mails and whispers. I can count the number of people that said 'thank you' on both hands and half a foot.

Yeah log reading or even replying to posts in general is definitely a thankless job at times to the point I have severely cut down the amount I do analyse. But why is that? I tend think I am polite enough. Do people get offended that we criticise their play? Because that is what they have asked us to do in the first place! Or do they just forget and never actually return to read it? I don't get it.

Of course I will be the first to admit perhaps I have made a post somewhere in a thread and then forgotten to reply when someone does respond but that cannot be happening such a high majority of the time with people. Locky and to all contributors here thank you for the work you do do, it is appreciated by me as I still learn new things all the time.

Ah no worries then Suspenders sometimes posts do go unnoticed. I have things to do now but if someone does not reply first I will try to get back to your post tomorrow. As to the Dark Soul glyph I never use it for Affliction even if the fight ends on an odd number. Does anyone here? Just to check that I am not actually giving bad info.

Haven't looked that deeply so perhaps Newks got lucky with tier set procs and you not but their DS: M uptime is 45% and yours 27%. You were also using the class trinket, correct? Anyhow, will come back to this.

Yeah log reading or even replying to posts in general is definitely a thankless job at times to the point I have severely cut down the amount I do analyse. But why is that? I tend think I am polite enough. Do people get offended that we criticise their play? Because that is what they have asked us to do in the first place! Or do they just forget and never actually return to read it? I don't get it.

Of course I will be the first to admit perhaps I have made a post somewhere in a thread and then forgotten to reply when someone does respond but that cannot be happening such a high majority of the time with people. Locky and to all contributors here thank you for the work you do do, it is appreciated by me as I still learn new things all the time.

Ah no worries then Suspenders sometimes posts do go unnoticed. I have things to do now but if someone does not reply first I will try to get back to your post tomorrow. As to the Dark Soul glyph I never use it for Affliction even if the fight ends on an odd number. Does anyone here? Just to check that I am not actually giving bad info.

Haven't looked that deeply so perhaps Newks got lucky with tier set procs and you not but their DS: M uptime is 45% and yours 27%. You were also using the class trinket, correct? Anyhow, will come back to this.

I actually pride myself on in-game and communication mannerism, so your post was definitely an "Oooohhh god damn it" moment for me. Sorry again for the lack of consideration - you're giving me your time, and I really, really appreciate it. We don't have many Locks(Read:One other) in our guild, so I don't have many in-game resources to tap.

I'm currently reglyphing and redoing my masteries, and plan on running the same as http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/twisting-nether/Sparkuggz/simple  . Correct, I am using the normal class trinket. Thanks again for your time, I look forward to your or the first response(which I'm sure I'll see, as I'm actually following the thread).

Hi guys, I've been reading some posts from this thread and have noticed some top raiders ask for help, so I figured what the hell, if they're asking for help, there's no shame in a lowly lock like myself asking for it too. I recently joined a progression guild and noticed their lock outdoes me, pretty much consistently. I couldn't find our last guild progression run, so I hope this is good enough? 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/yF6m32GvrckdhJAT#fight=1&type=damage-doneI'm Urthemiel. The other lock does have his 4 set, but would that make it a huge difference?

One more for reference https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/yF6m32GvrckdhJAT#fight=5&type=damage-done .

There has only been 1 fight where I have outdone both locks, 1 wasn't present during this particular raid. and that was Kormrok. Cataclysm on the hand phase always helps me out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My lock for judgement http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dark-iron/Urthemiel/simple(he's demonology since that spec is fun in timewalking at the moment) Thank you for your time!