FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Liquidsteel

The Help My DPS Thread

12 hours ago, Kaldimi said:

Hello,

I'd like to get into raiding, so I've made some logs and recorded myself playing to show in my guild application. I haven't been raiding in Legion, so I read a lot of guides and watched some videos to prepare.

Here are the logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/8trc9kMC6PGbFLAW

Here is the video:

Any feedback/suggestions appreciated.

Google how to turn advanced combat logging on as it gives the reader a lot more details. I like your preparation though. 

Which talents did you use for the 3 fights? I know I can see the last two in your video but just easier for me to have them here as well. 

Which legendaries did you wear and do you have others? 

Probably easier for me to see your armory as I also want to see what trinkets you were wearing and whether you have tier set. I don't see the 4 piece debuff anyhow.

OK I've turned advanced logging on. I will try to get a full run today or tomorrow.

I used the talents from the guide in: https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/affliction-warlock-pve-dps-antorus-boss-by-boss For the first boss: MG, Contagion, DC, SH, BR, GoS, SR. Then changed into WIA+AC for the next 2 bosses.

I wore The Master Harvester and Soul of the Netherlord in the first boss. Changed the ring into Sacrolash for the next 2 IIRC. The other legos I have are: Sephuz, Reap and Sow, Streten and Insignia. I'm still trying to get the legendary headpiece, so I wasn't in the optimal legendaries.

I don't have 4 pieces of T21. I hope to get the 2 missing pieces this week from a normal PuG.

Here is my armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/defias-brotherhood/karafatma

The currently equipped items are not what I've used in the video/logs. I have M+/Trash clearing gear equipped ATM. I have Aran's Relaxing Ruby, which isn't good at all outside AoE according to the simulations I've done. I think I'll replace it with a 910 relinquished trinket.

Edited by Kaldimi

5 hours ago, Kaldimi said:

OK I've turned advanced logging on. I will try to get a full run today or tomorrow.

I used the talents from the guide in: https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/affliction-warlock-pve-dps-antorus-boss-by-boss For the first boss: MG, Contagion, DC, SH, BR, GoS, SR. Then changed into WIA+AC for the next 2 bosses.

I wore The Master Harvester and Soul of the Netherlord in the first boss. Changed the ring into Sacrolash for the next 2 IIRC. The other legos I have are: Sephuz, Reap and Sow, Streten and Insignia. I'm still trying to get the legendary headpiece, so I wasn't in the optimal legendaries.

I don't have 4 pieces of T21. I hope to get the 2 missing pieces this week from a normal PuG.

Here is my armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/defias-brotherhood/karafatma

The currently equipped items are not what I've used in the video/logs. I have M+/Trash clearing gear equipped ATM. I have Aran's Relaxing Ruby, which isn't good at all outside AoE according to the simulations I've done. I think I'll replace it with a 910 relinquished trinket.

Thanks for the quick reply Kaldimi. I have written quite a bit of stuff but don't be disheartened as it's more than decent for a "non-raider". 

Not sure if you meant SC or SL by SR but without Advanced Combat I cannot see what you chose. If you picked SL like the guide suggest then you forgot to cast. It is the superior talent on 1 and 2 target but yeah sometimes people do not want to manage another DoT.  

Stats: It's quite helpful to learn how to sim as while Affy doesn't have clear stat spreads you still want the best combination of your own gear for different fight types. Armoury is often a little off with stats now days but if you really have only 12% Crit you will probably want a lot more. On the contrary if you really have 8% Vers you will ideally want to drop that right down as soon as you have a better piece.

Legendaries: Do those sim highest for you? A lot of leggos are pretty close together so best ones often depend on your offpieces but the chest is rarely worn unless you are making a lot of shards.  Sephuz is an all round good legendary but again like I said it depends on your alternatives. 

If you use a combat potion just before the boss you pulled then you can later use a second. (Of course it is LFR and they don't always do pull timers). 

Garothi: Agony fell twice. Looking at the timings it was probably during the phase change. Perhaps the group took too long to kill them but make sure you refresh Agony just before the cannon phase as it's not ideal for it to have to ramp again. 

Corruption dropped 6 times in total.

If you haven't yet read this guide: http://lockonestopshop.com/#!/Home The rotation section explains how to do drain cycles when you spec into Malefic Grasp (MG). 

Yours need a lot of tidying. That guide explains the rotation far better than I can and hopefully you'll see that you are both overdumping so you are not draining a lot of your UAs and underdumping. Remember with MG you don't have to think about UA uptime so these one dump cycles you are doing mean a lot less UA ticks buffed with Reap (once you have a MG log with advanced logging stick it into WoAnalyzer to see).

Your Reap soul use was very few and far between. Every time you dump UAs you want to be reaping. Reap after your UAs not before and then you want to drain them off, this you want to put a lot more emphasis on especially during SH rather than the crazy dumping you were doing. 

Drain uptime looks on the low side so it's likely you were moving too much (especially for LFR).

Also check out the thread by Nayta. There's a lot of info there that also applies to you. 

Felhounds: Again SL would have been a superior choice. The LOSS guide linked above also covers priorities when you take a WiA-AC build. You don't have the 4 set yet but when you do you want a high uptime on it. 

Your pot was after SH. 

I know it's a muscle memory thing but casted Corruption 6 times too much. Reap again needs to be casted more and even though you are using WiA remember to try and drain as well during it for increased Rend Soul procs.

Agony dropped from one dog twice.

Again some casting gaps but it's not that strange if you do not know the fights. 

Will take a look tomorrow hopefully at AHC. 

AHC: First SH was a little late though good you extended it. Second was late too, usually you want to do it almost on cooldown unless you know you will not lose a use. You do want to delay the last one if you using Netherlord/DE.

Can't see if you Drain sniped as no advanced logging but it's really important on add fights

Assuming you want to do add damage then just as they are about to spawn pre-cast seed so it hits them before they jump off (asssuming Norm/Hc/Mythic is the same as LFR).

Again forgot to use Reap enough. You should be able to have a really high uptime on this fight because of all the adds.

If you're using Sephuz try and get all the interrupts on the mage. 

I know you don't have it yet but work on UA uptime for the 4 set rather than clumping UAs all together. 20-30 secs without a UA is far too long though I cannot see if you capped/wasted shards. 

Agony dropped a few times from the boss.

Though you do get UAs refunded if the adds die when they're on them so you get some free ticks which is great there's a mechanic on this fight that makes the boss take more damage. The pod people apply this debuff (at least on norm/hc/mythic so I assume it is in LFR as well). So apart from the UA sniping thing for overall damage (and assuming you are not playing with bracers or Contagion) you actually get more damage from focusing the boss with your UAs. Just to be clear this is what gives the overall highest damage. On progress if you need to hit adds more do what you need to do (varies by group). 

Hope this helps, good luck.

Disclaimer: Always may be errors.  

Edited by spikeysquad

On 4/29/2018 at 1:36 AM, Kaldimi said:

Again, thank you for all the info. My new log is here. I tried to keep the dots on the boss, not shard cap, use SH cooldown whenever available, and use pre-potion. WoWAnalyzer says these were OK, but buffing Unstable Affliction ticks could improve...

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/cAZpfjBaqWQLmkKD

Hey Kaldimi,

Your new Garothi was a shorter fight and of course with Affy RNG is a thing but that is an awesome DPS gain. 

UA dumping looks good. Reap use much better and just one big gap. 

Keep working on a high drain uptime.

Corruption and SL still dropped a few times but Agony was perfect.

It's not easy in LFR but if you do join a regular group for killing bosses or start progressing on a new kill then spend a bit more time thinking about fight times. This is pretty important with Netherlord/DE. So while you do not want to lose a use of SH, if your execute is buffed then you want it at the end of the fight. That is also where you want to be using your second pot. Rather than where you did use it.  

Dogs: 

Do you sim much? This fight is relatively easy to get an over view of as it's a pure 2T fight.

Anyhow my concern is the bracers. They definitely sim high on a 2t fight however, they take a lot more work to get the most out of them on this fight. You need to spread UAs better and during good buffs then UA both dogs (which you did do sometimes but not quite enough). 

Anyhow, play around and see what kind of numbers you get in simming and practice.  

Both Sephuz and Prydaz are all round good leggos. The sim doesn't proc the ring so even without because of the sheer number of stats on it is often a really good leggo (and sometimes best). Netherlord or perhaps the Belt are other options that may work on this fight.

SL dropped a few times on one doggy (no big surprise if you are new to it). Agony dropped once. 

I know you don't have 4 set yet but keep in mind when you do to spread your UAs better.

You only had one UA in your second SH and it didn't have full Reap coverage.

Pot should cover SH and Reap.

AHC: Went a little backwards on this fight but we all have our off days/fights.

I perhaps confused you but SL on this fight, unless the adds melt, is not a good choice. You are usually too busy to worry about keeping that up on adds too and DE is just good for these fights. Same situation with Coven and PKH. The Icy talent guide you linked for the bosses is pretty good. Only thing I would change is on Varim to use SL over SC on non-mythic and to stick with MG on Aggramar and whatever leggos you usually use for a more ST like fight. Just as a side note Netherlord is an option on the more ST like fights but not always the best one. 

Again, at your stage of learning, I would pick Sephuz over bracers, especially as you might be able to proc it. It will also give you some much needed Crit. Anyhow, play around though like I said before RNG is a thing and it's not always possible to see what leggo is better. As you did pick bracers you would probably want to spread your UAs rather than confining them to the boss. 

Your biggest loss was forgetting to cast seed for the add spawns (or apply Corruption manually but the first is usually better).  

8 shards wasted.

You managed to snipe a few but keep working on this (unless you are shard capped then spend one instead). 

Should delay your first SH for the adds to extend it fully.  

DoTs fell quite a lot but yeah taking SL as well can be overwhelming. 

Keep practising I see a lot of really fast positive changes. 

If you want extra help or just to read lock stuff or just to chat to people you can always join the Warlock Discord.

Disclaimer: Always may be errors. 

Hey what's up guys? First post here so.. 

I left the game for over a year and came back to be guildless (not surprised) and I changed mains to warlock(affliction). I started off with about 900 ish gear and my guild too me into heroic Antorus and im at about 943 right now and am still pulling lower ilv numbers. I almost hit 1 mil on the first boss and then hung around 8-850k sometimes lower, for the rest of the red up until Kin when we called it tonight. The majority of my non lego gear is BiS Heroic gear from Antorus, so im not really sure what the problem is and can only see it being either my legos or my rotation. Current legos im using are Reap and Sow and Soul of the Netherlord.

for alt legos have: -Kil'jaeden's Burning Wish - Insignia of the Grand Army - Streten's Sleepless Shackles. I have the life binder ring off Eonar as well for switching out Legos

Stats are 14 crit - 35 haste - 111 mastery 

So pretty much my opener is A-C-UA-DS-UA-UA- SH- RS (if I dont have reap stacks I DS then cast 2 more UA and blow RS at 3-5 stacks) and then I let my dots get down to like 3 secs and reapply. For adds/multi I throw seeds and dot up and DS. Pretty much rinse and repeat my single target rot though. What am I doing wrong? Should I reap souls every time I cast 2-3x UA?

I am very new to locks/affliction and I dont want to change classes or specs because I have a LOT of fun with it, but I also don't want to miss out on mythics and/or hold my guild back so any help would be awesome. Thank you guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't post links yet because I am a new user but my talents are 3-1-1-3-2-1-1 and 3 because of Soul.

4 hours ago, ThatShinobiGuy said:

Hey what's up guys? First post here so.. 

Posting a log is going to help a lot more than the info you've given. While you may think you play exactly as you say, it can be very different in real time. 

4 hours ago, Blainie said:

Posting a log is going to help a lot more than the info you've given. While you may think you play exactly as you say, it can be very different in real time. 

I honestly don't even know how to do that or what you're talking about

47 minutes ago, ThatShinobiGuy said:

I honestly don't even know how to do that or what you're talking about

Check this out:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/help/start/

Make sure you enable Advanced Combat Logging too. This should tell you exactly how to get a log of you playing. 

Post it either in this thread or in a new post in the Warlock forums and we can help you from there. It shows us exactly what you press and when during a fight.

18 hours ago, Kaldimi said:

@spikeysquad Thanks for all the analyses and encouragement. I'll keep you updated of my progress.

You're welcome. Aye, sometimes it can take time to change our gameplay but if you put in the effort you will get there. Good luck.

19 hours ago, mcdeadly said:

Hi guys, i play an afflicton lock. we try to clear mythic hasabel. my dmg is ok but my log are kind a low.... i dont know which mistakes i do- maybe u can help me  to improve my dmg.

maybe someone can help me with the logs. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/jPb3WdCkTqfzGAQM/#fight=18&type=damage-done&source=47

Run your logs through WowAnalyzer - you have a lot of really basic errors that are popping up. It's not a perfect tool, but for things like mass-checking on multiple progression wipes, WA is going to show things a lot faster than we can manually checking.

https://wowanalyzer.com/report/jPb3WdCkTqfzGAQM/18/47

On 5/2/2018 at 10:23 PM, mcdeadly said:

Hi guys, i play an afflicton lock. we try to clear mythic hasabel. my dmg is ok but my log are kind a low.... i dont know which mistakes i do- maybe u can help me  to improve my dmg.

maybe someone can help me with the logs. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/jPb3WdCkTqfzGAQM/#fight=18&type=damage-done&source=47

Your damage isn't that low for a progress fight. Your add damage is low, could be a bit higher but we are pretty bad with that and better upstairs if that is what is holding the group back. 

Short on time but wrong talents on several tiers, lack of drain and UA sniping, probably not ideal leggos (but perhaps you don't have any others), low drain uptime, messy drain cycles (both of these would not matter if you went WiA), Reap use off (doesn't matter so much as you have almost full reap but if you play like this on say Garothi then its wrong) and lack of interrupts. 

Check out the boss guide on Icy and Lock One Stop Shop for more info. 

• Like 1

Hey guys!

I need some help regarding to trinkets - currently I play Demonology for fun, I switched mains recently from hunter. Dis be me gurl ingame Alendrith-ArgentDawn 

Now the question is that should I replace my Darkmoon Deck: Squalls to a WQ drop 330 ilvl Emblem of Zandalar? (stats respectively: +187 Intellect and 692 Haste on effect instead of the amounts on the base 280 ilvl trinket)

I don't know how frequent will it proc, I kindly followed the BIS recommendation of the Demonology Guide- since I don't have the Azurethos' Singed Plumage nor do I know how to get it from the world boss when it appears, I took the Ignition Mage's Fuse (340 ilvl as you can see) as replacement and I tought that the Emblem of Zandalar might be a decent replacement of the Incessantly Ticking Clock, the BIS recommended for non-use trinket by the guide. But the item level gap is kinda big and I fear that my overall DPS will decrease due to the lesser intellect bonus and the missing DOT effects from the Squalls deck.

So, what do you think which trinket combination will be the better? 

Darkmoon Deck: Squalls (355) + Ignition Mage's Fuse (340)

Ignition Mage's Fuse (340) + Emblem of Zanalar (330)

As I inspected, the Uldir trinkets not fitting demonology and maybe warlocks overall (well, I could gladly take a 370 ilvl Vigilant's Bloodshaper for testing purposes, hehe).

5 hours ago, CrazyHussar said:

Hey guys!

I need some help regarding to trinkets - currently I play Demonology for fun, I switched mains recently from hunter. Dis be me gurl ingame Alendrith-ArgentDawn 

Now the question is that should I replace my Darkmoon Deck: Squalls to a WQ drop 330 ilvl Emblem of Zandalar? (stats respectively: +187 Intellect and 692 Haste on effect instead of the amounts on the base 280 ilvl trinket)

I don't know how frequent will it proc, I kindly followed the BIS recommendation of the Demonology Guide- since I don't have the Azurethos' Singed Plumage nor do I know how to get it from the world boss when it appears, I took the Ignition Mage's Fuse (340 ilvl as you can see) as replacement and I tought that the Emblem of Zandalar might be a decent replacement of the Incessantly Ticking Clock, the BIS recommended for non-use trinket by the guide. But the item level gap is kinda big and I fear that my overall DPS will decrease due to the lesser intellect bonus and the missing DOT effects from the Squalls deck.

So, what do you think which trinket combination will be the better? 

Darkmoon Deck: Squalls (355) + Ignition Mage's Fuse (340)

Ignition Mage's Fuse (340) + Emblem of Zanalar (330)

As I inspected, the Uldir trinkets not fitting demonology and maybe warlocks overall (well, I could gladly take a 370 ilvl Vigilant's Bloodshaper for testing purposes, hehe).

I personally would sim the trinkets. Both for a ST fight and then some thing with 2-3 targets to see if things change up. If you never have simmed before this guide should help you: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OntnJ9ewxJ3L__iDn-R9qYukRBDW7429AJiv3NGZ_2M/edit# It is really simple now days to do and worth learning how as yes item level matters.

Bloodmallet is also a helpful guideline. But it is just that, ideally you would sim your own character. https://bloodmallet.com/index.html#warlock_demonology 

5 hours ago, spikeysquad said:

I personally would sim the trinkets. Both for a ST fight and then some thing with 2-3 targets to see if things change up. If you never have simmed before this guide should help you: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OntnJ9ewxJ3L__iDn-R9qYukRBDW7429AJiv3NGZ_2M/edit# It is really simple now days to do and worth learning how as yes item level matters.

Bloodmallet is also a helpful guideline. But it is just that, ideally you would sim your own character. https://bloodmallet.com/index.html#warlock_demonology 

Thanks I simmed both builds: 200DPS difference (12400 - 12600) in favor of the Darkmoon Deck. That's pretty low diff I suppose.

I'd love to get some help with my affliction warlock please, as I know that at my gear level I should be pushing 12k DPS + but I am not and I am sure it's my rotation. I've gone to various forums and online guides, but they haven't really improved things so I think I'm missing something crucial here:

My armory link is here:

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/Moonglade/Mysticeer

Wow Analyzer Info:

https://wowanalyzer.com/character/EU/Moonglade/Mysticeer/

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer.