FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starrs

Raiding with Two Holy priests?

Hi there!

Can you tell me if two holy priests should  raid together?

Our new Disc priest decided to go holy. I am holy. I just cant figure out why they dont see that a disc priest is needed in a raid along with a holy.

I also don't know if two holy priests would clash spell wise.

I have been raiding for years and have never encountered this issue.

Thank you for the help.

"Should" is a funny word.

As a raid leader you should always have a disc/holy rather than 2xholy given the choice.

2 holy priests is not a great idea.

That being said, if you arent doing bleeding edge progression you can go with whatever comp floats your boat.

Spell wise, you wont clash too much as long as you time your cds.

• Like 1

It's not a great idea especially for Holy Priests which is far from best performing healing class right now. I would understand it somehow if you were having 1 disc and 2 Holy Priests (don't need 2 discs) but to trade a disc for holy? There's no logical reason for it.

To make a comparison, it's like removing a couple of your best dps from the raid just because. You would be still able to kill bosses but what are you gaining? Nothing except of unnecessary troubles.

• Like 1

I so agree with you. 

The young man that had been doing mostly dps on another toon was given the chance to heal. He had always done disc in the past. For some reason he said he was doing holy and that was that. When I asked the raid leaders about it they said it made no difference. I tried to reason with them saying that disc is the tank healer pro and Holy is the group healer. They play hand in hand. The other issue I have is that he isnt as good doing holy. 

They probably feel I am making a big deal because  its my spec but honestly I just want the raid group to be the best it can be.

It's not a great idea especially for Holy Priests which is far from best performing healing class right now. I would understand it somehow if you were having 1 disc and 2 Holy Priests (don't need 2 discs) but to trade a disc for holy? There's no logical reason for it.

To make a comparison, it's like removing a couple of your best dps from the raid just because. You would be still able to kill bosses but what are you gaining? Nothing except of unnecessary troubles.

They probably feel I am making a big deal because  its my spec but honestly I just want the raid group to be the best it can be.

You are right to make a deal of it no matter what's your spec. It's not like you are forcing some Holy Priest that was Holy for the last 3 expansions to play a warrior or a shaman. As I said, there's no logical reason to trade a disc for additional Holy.

About the difference for the raid: it heavily depends on amount of people in it. If your normal healing setup is 3 healers, making 2 of them Holy Priest makes difference, if your normal setup is 5 healers then your RL is right - no difference here to have 1 or 2 Holy, while I personally would always vote for a balanced healing setup (1 healer of every spec, no stacking when possible). 

• Like 1

You are right to make a deal of it no matter what's your spec. It's not like you are forcing some Holy Priest that was Holy for the last 3 expansions to play a warrior or a shaman. As I said, there's no logical reason to trade a disc for additional Holy.

About the difference for the raid: it heavily depends on amount of people in it. If your normal healing setup is 3 healers, making 2 of them Holy Priest makes difference, if your normal setup is 5 healers then your RL is right - no difference here to have 1 or 2 Holy, while I personally would always vote for a balanced healing setup (1 healer of every spec, no stacking when possible). 

Our set up is 4 healers. 

1 Pally, 1 Shammy and Me the holy and then the other priest. 

Our set up is 4 healers. 

1 Pally, 1 Shammy and Me the holy and then the other priest. 

Disc would be definitely better here.

You already have 2 pure throughput healers with more than enough raid CDs: Shaman and Holy Priest, a tank and emergency life saver healer - Paladin with Beacons and Hands but no absorb healers. 

Your raid could benefit a lot from smoothing of incoming damage and shielding of low HP people before they are being healed. Adding another Holy in your setup brings nothing but overhealing in most of fights.

I would still repeat that it's not like you wouldn't be able to kill bosses - you will do that - but your raid is losing efficiency unnecessary stacking certain classes.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By VeeImperium
      Stormrage [A] - 3/7 Mythic - 7/7 Heroic - FRI & MON - 9pm-12am EST
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Imperium, a progressive and well-respected raiding guild. Seeking like-minded individuals to join our team.  We provide good guild culture, consistent loot distribution, laid-back leadership, like-minded, courteous, kind, and polite people.
      Our team has been playing together for 8 years. We have always maintained a strong progressive raid team in 10 and 25 mans with a very minimal raid schedule. When considering new members, we seek individuals who have excellent communication skills, a high level of maturity, and a manner of adult professionalism.

Raid Info
      Friday & Monday 9:00pm - 12:00am EST
      Emerald Nightmare - 3/7 Mythic - 7/7 Heroic

What to expect from us...
      - Raids that start and end on time.
      - A community of in-game support and socializing, Veteran players, 980+ Characters, 580+ Active Accounts, 650+ Level 100s.
      - Opportunity to be part of our weekly raid sales group
      - Fair and consistent leadership that only accepts quality players, and understands mistakes can happen.
      - A friendly and competitive dps environment, with frequent 95%+ parses
      - An opportunity to see all the content WoW has to offer.
      - Raid Consumables, and Enchantments provided.
      - Adult atmosphere, average age 25.
      - We DO NOT recruit for bench positions.

What we expect from you...
      - Desire to be part of a team. This includes being on Mumble and taking an interest in the guilds objectives, upholding its principles and helping to secure its longevity.
      - Great verbal communication during raid.
      - Good attitude and mutual respect towards fellow guild and raid team members.
      - High to perfect raid attendance.
      - Perseverance. Wiping is part of the game, and staying motivated and positive is a must.
      - Know your class and all of its abilities. Have a viable off spec for the team.
      - Be active and contribute to the guild forums.

Currently Recruiting:
      1 Ranged DPS: Hunter, Warlock or Shadow Priest
      1 Healer: Holy Priest, Holy Paladin or Resto Shaman
      Exceptional players are always considered.

Visit ImperiumGuild.ca to apply or to learn more about us.
      Vee#1811
      Mochi#11316
      Roxycodone#1543
      Nyyankees29#1435
      Skratchh#1194

• By Epos
      Hey all. I'm interested in what kind of add-ons people may be using for healing. I have tried healbot in the past and I'll be honest, I hate it.  Currently I am using a 12 button Naga with ELVUI  and its been decent , but I'm curious to know if there is something else out there I might find beneficial. I'm in the process of learning mouse over macro's  but I have a ways to go. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      Epøs
    • By Divinorum
      Hey guys, I've got a question this morning specific to raiding as a Priest. I'm currently a raiding priest that's 10/10 Heroic BRF, and up until now I've been raiding with our progression team as Holy. I've played this spec because our guild already has an established Disc priest in the raid (he's the raid leader) and being lower on the totem pole means you have to compromise for the good of the raid (if you wanna get into the raid!). Prior to joining my current guild, I had been a Disc priest and was very, very comfortable playing that spec.

However, I really haven't enjoyed playing Holy very much. It took me a few weeks to bed into this new spec (which I'd never really played very much), and get the needed muscle memory in place so that I was operating at high efficiency. After sticking through that initial adjustment period, I feel I have the knack for it. My numbers have improved markedly week over week, but... I just can't generate the same HPS as a Holy priest. It's becoming frustrating because it's starting to suck the joy out of the game for me. My logs show that as a Holy priest I often rank middle of the pack or worse when it comes to HPS and percentile rankings. Flip that to Disc, and I'm among the *most* efficient, regularly scoring above the 85th percentile.

Does anyone know of or have evidence of a guild utilizing 2 disc priests for endgame/progression raiding? I'd be very interested to see how they handle healing assignments so that there's no overlap on the weakened soul debuff, and they can both operate at max efficiency. I've seen bits here and there that suggest one Disc takes Clarity of Will and tank heal, while the other takes Words of Mending and prioritizes Holy Nova a little higher in their spell selection. But, I've not seen any logs that corroborate that anecdotal evidence.

Any evidence that this is a viable raiding setup would be awesome. I really want to enjoy raiding with my priest and want to continue doing so. But doing it as Holy for the long haul just isn't appealing to me at all. The spec frustrates me to no end. And finding a new guild that'll let me be Disc isn't the answer, I love my guild. The raid leader is open to the idea of 2 discs, and I just want to show him evidence it's viable. If there's a shot it could be done, I'd like to know.

• By Fradheal
      I am a holy priest with a shadow off-spec. My question deals with the game mechanics. Are there game mechanics that make it wiser to use a 2h staff vs. a 1h weapon & and off-hand item other than the just the sheer numerical benefit you get from the items. I believe I was told when I started out that when healing, it is better to use a 2h staff, but for DPS as shadow a 1H and off-hand item was better. Thanks for the help and I love the guides!