Blainie

Mount Series: Obtaining the 300 Mounts Achievement (Part 1)

4 posts in this topic

Our new WoW series on mounts has begun!

15550-mount-series-road-to-300-part-1.pn

Our new WoW series has just started! Check out our first installment in this mount collector's series, where we will detail the different and fastest ways to collect 300 mounts.

The Artifact Series has now come to a close and we are ready to get going on the next series! Welcome to the "Road to 300", where we will take you step by step through the different ways of obtaining every mount in the game, the fastest routes to farm them and everything you can do to speed up your runs. In this introductory post, we're going to be looking at the best ways for you to prepare before embarking on this journey.

I'd like to put out a PSA and inform you all that you cannot expect to farm these mounts overnight. You will have to throw everything you have into this, spending time, effort and huge amounts of currency on the mounts. You might even have to throw your computer at it too. I came pretty close!

The first rule of any mount collector is to understand RNG. I could describe to you all the various statistics of mount collecting, but I think an example might illustrate my point better. As an avid mount collector, I hunted Invincible's Reins for an extremely long time. The mount did eventually drop on my 512th run and I was overjoyed. The fact that it took 512 runs, 16 characters and so much time shows exactly what RNG is. It's random.

There is no way to guarantee the drops of mounts from raids. Doing a backflip and running through the door sideways on the way to the Lich King won't make the mount drop. These are nothing but superstitions started by one individual in the community who did it and made the mount drop.

RNG is RNG. The only thing you can do to fight RNG is give yourself as many chances as possible against it. This leads us on to the first topic of conversation for today's article: characters and classes.

Series Posts 

You can check out the rest of the series below:

Characters for Mount Farming 

I cannot stress how important this part is. As I stated above, RNG can be an incredibly unfair thing. You need to have as many characters as possible to farm with, so that you give yourself the maximum number of opportunities each week.

I'm sure you're thinking something along the lines of: I don't have time to level all my characters to 100, what's wrong with this guy?

That's the beauty of it. You don't need mount farming characters to be level 100. Let's take Icecrown Citadel as an example. There is no need to go and level a character to 100 if a level 90 can do the same thing, but slightly slower. It's important to understand which instances and raids can be completed by different classes. This also applies to certain fights within raids, for example Alysrazor in Firelands. The buff there allows some level 85s to solo the boss, but they would struggle on other bosses.

Understand your limitations, but also understand what is necessary and what isn't. If you want to farm Throne of Thunder, I can understand leveling to level 100, but there is no need to do so for farming lower level raids. This can also apply to dailies, such as at the Argent Tournament, where level 80s can easily complete them.

Now that we've discussed level, let's take a look at the other half of the discussion: class.

Best Classes for Mount Farming 

This is an interesting topic because quite a few of the classes shine in very different ways. The first class I'll cover is the Death Knight, since they are extremely unique in their ability to solo.

The Death Knight is an amazing class for mount farming since you can roll them on different servers at level 55, meaning they can be leveled way faster than other classes. They are excellent at soloing, meaning you can only level them to 85-90 and still comfortably solo many raids. On the other hand, they are extremely weak for speed farming. The class is incredibly slow in regards to movement speed, so you'll need to look elsewhere for this. I'd recommend a Rogue, especially when it comes to farming dungeons. The Rogues have an incredible ability for speed farming with the use of ability_stealth.jpgStealth and rogue_burstofspeed.jpgBurst of Speed.

S5uTIzJ.png?1

I would strongly recommend any serious mount farmer rolls some form of Rogue alt, since they are simply unparalleled in their ability to farm dungeons such as Stratholme, Stonecore or Vortex Pinnacle. They also can skip large areas of raids, such as Ulduar or Black Temple via the use of ability_rogue_shadowstep.jpgShadowstep.

You can also use a Mage, due to the added bonus of their teleports. It's important to note, however, that there are a number of items that can help with this. We'll detail these items later in this post.

The other classes that I would recommend rolling are Warlocks and Hunters, due to their ability to pet tank bosses, but there is of course the problem of leveling them. If you are serious about mount farming, I would recommend just leveling multiple Death Knights as fast as you can, getting 1 Rogue to 100 and then farming!

When Legion releases, Demon Hunters will be the class to roll, since they will enter the world (after their starting zone) at level 100, meaning they can already solo most raids. They use a tank spec with decent toughness, so there should be no issues there. 

Now that you've got your levels and classes sorted, let's take a look at some of the gearing options you've got for your characters!

Gearing Characters for Mount Farming 

IwcxnzH.png?1

There are a few tricks you can use to ensure your characters are suitably geared in order to start farming. Make sure you follow these for each character to ensure that you can farm to the maximum potential:

• Always remember to purchase the overpowered Bind-on-Equip gear for certain levels, for example, inv_axe_2h_draenorcrafted_d_01_a.jpgSteelforged Greataxe on a level 91 Death Knight can cause some serious damage.
  • The old Justice Points vendors can be extremely useful, since they sell normal level gear that is still good. For example, a level 85 Death Knight used to solo Utgarde Pinnacle can fill their slots with 397 gear from the vendors.
  • Tag along with any group going to raids at your level. If you have a friend to help it's even better. You'd be amazed how powerful some of the Heroic/Mythic trinkets can be and you'll have no competition for them from the higher levels. The same can be said for some of the older tier sets, such as the Throne of Thunder set for Protection Warriors, which allows them to heal through the constant use of Victory Rush in combat.
  • As a level 90-91 character, the Timeless Isle can provide a good basis to build gear from, since it still provides plenty of 496-535 gear. It can be an easy way to fill some of your less important slots.

So, you've got your gear, classes and leveling sorted. Let's take a look at how you're going to be getting around the world in order to start farming!

Modes of Transport

0HwWsrt.png?1

We're going to start this off by looking at the various portals and transport vehicles you should be aware of in order to properly mount farm. There are a number of them that can really cut down on your travel time, such as:

• The capital city portals in Vale of Eternal Blossoms, as well as portals to Shattrath and Dalaran.
  • The Blasted Lands portal, located in either the Mage Tower in Stormwind or the Cleft of Shadow in Orgrimmar. This provides quick access to both Karazhan and Zul'Gurub.
  • The Caverns of Time portal in Dalaran, which provides quick access to Dragon Soul. You can also fly up from here to reach Onyxia's Lair as Alliance.
  • You can also teleport to the Caverns of Time by speaking to Zephyr in Shattrath City. You need to be revered with the Keepers of Time for this.
  • Mages can provide portals to Theramore, a quicker route to Onyxia for Alliance, or Stonard.
  • They can also provide a portal to the old location of Dalaran in the Hillsbrad Foothills.
  • All of your Challenge Mode teleports (should you have done them) will allow you to teleport around the world.
  • Death Knights can bring themselves to the Eastern Plaguelands, very close to Stratholme.
  • There are boats to Theramore and Howling Fjord from Menethil Harbor in the Wetlands.
  • Ratchet provides boats to Booty Bay.

As I'm sure you can see, the list of portals and boats, zeppelins and flight paths really does go on. There are a lot more, but they are very well known to most players. I'd like to instead cover the items that can teleport you around, since many players are actually unaware of these items. I'll warn you all, these can cost a lot of gold, so be prepared to spend a lot if you want them. I personally have all of them on my main character and it saves a great deal of time.

As you can see, there are plenty of items for you to collect when attempting to travel around the world quickly. You don't need all of them, but they can be incredibly useful when it comes to mount farming, since they can cut down your travel time immensely. Get what you can and use them.

Group Farming - Is it needed? 

For some of the mounts that you're going to be farming, you will need groups. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that you are going to solo achievement_boss_hellfire_zone.jpgGlory of the Hellfire Raider. Blizzard are actually making a step towards ensuring that old achievements are soloable by removing achievements from the older metas. You can read more about this here

If you refuse to play with others, you'll find yourself making this entire ordeal a lot more difficult than it needs to be. Work with others when you can, as long as it won't affect your drop rates unless necessary. There's no point trying to solo a set of achievements if you could have brought a few friends and made it 10 times quicker.

Group farming can also be beneficial when you need to farm a reputation for the mount, such as with Emperor Shaohao and the inv_pandarenserpentgodmount_gold.jpgReins of the Heavenly Golden Cloud Serpent.

You are [deleted] prepared! 

W4S9ock.jpg?1

Illidan can't believe how quickly you became prepared.

We've had to modify his words slightly, but hopefully you're feeling prepared to go on this journey! In the future, we will present videos along with the text to ensure you are kept well informed along our trip together. Despite them removing achievement_general_dungeondiplomat.jpgHolding Hands from inv_misc_demonsoul.jpgGlory of the Dragon Soul Raider, we can hold hands and embark on this together! The Road to 300 begins.

• Like 1

Looking forward for the rest of the series.  Currently sitting at 136 mount and a little lost as to where to start my grind to 300.  

The next portion of the series should be releasing sometime this week, keep an eye out for it in the featured banner! It'll be the Dungeons and Raids section, it's a pretty huge task so it has taken some time.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan

Slanderman has published an interesting breakdown of specs played during the first stage of the Mythic Dungeon Invitational. What the data tells us is that not all specs bring the much needed utility at high levels of play.
      Specializations not present in the graphs haven't seen gameplay yet. Our latest MDI coverage can be found here.
      Tanks
      Blood Death Knights and Guardian Druids are clearly dominating the competition, because both tank specs have a battle res. Guardians are able to increase the party's movement speed (Stampeding Roar) and a they bring a powerful CC (Typhoon). Blood Death Knights bring Vampiric Aura and Gorefiend's Grasp.

Damage Dealers
      Melee DPS
      Subtlety Rogues have an unparalled survivability and Shroud of Concealment. Arms Warriors are capable of massive AoE burst damage on a short cooldown.

Ranged DPS
      Beast Mastery Hunters have a battle res (Eternal Guardian) and lust (Ancient Hysteria). Balance Druids have great survivability (Bear Form + Barkskin) and a battle res. The same applies to Affliction Warlocks (Soulstone). Mages and Shamans have lust.

Healers
      Restoration Druids have a battle res (Rebirth), great survivability (Bear Form) and Feral Affinity. Holy Paladins bring utility in the form of Blessing of Freedom & Blessing of Protection or Divine Shield. Other specs have seen significantly less play mainly due to their lack of utility or battle res.

Slanderman also did a regional breakdown of specializations by region and you can find them here.
      (Source)
    • By Stan

A short round of hotfixes is here with the aforementioned PvP class tuning and various bug fixes.
      Damage of the Netherlight Crucible trait Dark Sorrows has been buffed by 40%. Account-wide access to Invasion Points is granted once the "Dark Awakenings" chapter of the Argus campaign has been completed and more.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Argus
      Account-wide access to World Quests and treasures in Antoran Wastes is now allowed once "The Assault Begins" chapter of the Argus campaign has been completed. Account-wide access to Invasion Points and Greater Invasion Points is now allowed once the "Dark Awakenings" chapter of the Argus campaign has been completed. Items
      Zenk'aram, Iridi's Anadem now correctly increases Shadow damage in Voidform. Netherlight Crucible
      Dark Sorrows damage increased by 40%. Player versus Player
      Druid Shred now deals an additional 25% damage while stealthed in PvP situations (was 50%). Rake now deals an additional 50% damage while stealthed in PvP situations (was 100%). Feral Enraged Maim now costs 5 Combo Points. Enraged Maim incapacitates the target for 5 seconds (was 6 seconds). Enraged Maim now has a 10 second cooldown (was 6 seconds). The damage of the Lunar Inspiration version of Moonfire is reduced by 20% in PvP situations. Ferocious Wound reduces the maximum health of the target by 15% (was 25%). Demon Hunter Imprison's duration on players is now 3 seconds (was 4 seconds). Detainment increases Imprison's cooldown to 45 seconds, up from 30 seconds. Monk Mistweaver PvP Template Versatility increased by 5% PvP Template Armor increased by 10% Mana Regeneration increased by 5% in PvP situations. Life Cocoon's absorb is increased by 10% in PvP situations. Paladin Holy Avenging Crusader heals for 175% of damage dealt (was 200%). Shaman Restoration Earth Shield reduces all damage the target takes by 10% (was 15%). Warlock Destruction Chaos Bolt's damage is reduced by 10% in PvP situations. Focused Chaos increases Chaos Bolt damage by 65% (was 75%). Firestone increases critical strike chance by 65% (was 75%). PvP Template Intellect increased by 6%. Previous Patch 7.3 Hotfixes
      Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 22 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 19 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 16 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 13 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 12 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 8 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 6 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 5 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 1 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - August 30 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - August 29
    • By Stan

An overview of all the important stuff happening in Azeroth this week.
      PvP Class Tuning
      After maintenance in your region's over the following class changes will be live.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Druid Shred now deals an additional 25% damage while stealthed in PvP situations (was 50%). Rake now deals an additional 50% damage while stealthed in PvP situations (was 100%). Feral Enraged Maim now costs 5 Combo Points. Enraged Maim incapacitates the target for 5 seconds (was 6 seconds). Enraged Maim now has a 10 second cooldown (was 6 seconds). The damage of the Lunar Inspiration version of Moonfire is reduced by 20% in PvP situations. Ferocious Wound reduces the maximum health of the target by 15% (was 25%). Demon Hunter Imprison's duration on players is now 3 seconds (was 4 seconds). Detainment increases Imprison's cooldown to 45 seconds, up from 30 seconds. Monk Mistweaver PvP Template Versatility increased by 5% PvP Template Armor increased by 10% Mana Regeneration increased by 5% in PvP situations. Life Cocoon's absorb is increased by 10% in PvP situations. Paladin Holy Avenging Crusader heals for 175% of damage dealt (was 200%). Shaman Restoration Earth Shield reduces all damage the target takes by 10% (was 15%). Warlock Destruction Chaos Bolt's damage is reduced by 10% in PvP situations. Focused Chaos increases Chaos Bolt damage by 65% (was 75%). Firestone increases critical strike chance by 65% (was 75%). PvP Template Intellect increased by 6%. Artifact Knowledge Level 45
      All players now have access to Artifact Knowledge level 45 that increases Artifact Power gains by 45,700,000 % (up from 35,150,000% @AK level 44).
      Mythic Keystone Affixes
      Bolstering Grievous Tyrannical Argus World Boss
      Inquisitor Meto is up this week. The portal can be found in Antoran Wastes (64, 43). Don't forget to bring a Seal of Broken Fate for a bonus roll. All Argus world bosses in Greater Invasion Points drop ilvl 930 loot. Loot tables and dungeon journal entries can be found here. Argus Weekly Quests
      Fuel of a Doomed World: Collect 50 Pristine Argunite from Invasion Points, Rare encounters, or treasure chests on Argus to receive 300 Veiled Argunite Invasion Onslaught: Complete 3 Invasion Points to get 200 Veiled Argunite. Battleground Bonus Event (Sep 26 - Oct 3)
      While this event is active, random Battlegrounds will award Honor at an increased rate. Glory awaits in the fields of battle (Sign of Battle). Win four battlegrounds to complete the weekly quest "A Call to Battle" and get Badge of Honor Glory of the Melee (Artifact Power token) 5 Marks of Honor Harvest Festival (Sep 29 - Oct 6)
      The Harvest Festival is a time to commemorate those who have sacrificed their lives to help friends and allies. Feasts are held outside Orgrimmar and Ironforge in honor of these fallen heroes. Darkmoon Faire (Oct 1 - 8)
      Darkmoon Faire returns on Sunday and you can grab the Darkmoon Dirigible mount. More information is available in our detailed guide. Brewfest (Sep 20 - Oct 6)
      Brewfest continues through October 6. More details can be found by visiting our updated Brewfest guide. World Boss Flotsam
      Flotsam is up this week. Search for the epic world quest in Highmountain, Flotsam Loot Tables
      Blackwater Raider Handguards Faded Bloodsail Handwraps Kezan Pirate's Mitts "Liberated" Un'goro Relic Marshstomper Oracle's Loop Ragged Azsharan Sail Fragment Salt-Stained Tuskarr Gloves
    • By Stan

Today we're looking at Warrior's Juggernaut Battlegear set from Antorus the Burning Throne.
      Juggernaut Battlegear
      Tier 21 sets drop in Antorus the Burning Throne raid that will open later this year. The following bosses drop Tier 21 tokens:
      Juggernaut Helm (Aggramar) Juggernaut Pauldrons (The Coven of Shivarra) Juggernaut Cloak (Antoran High Ciommand) Juggernaut Breastplate (Eonar the Life-Binder) Juggernaut Gauntlets (Kin'garoth) Juggernaut Legplates (Imonar the Soulhunter) Tier 21 Warrior Set Bonuses
      Item - Warrior T21 Arms 2P Bonus - Colossus Smash Crit Damage - When you use Colossus Smash, your critical damage is increased by 15% for 8 sec. Item - Warrior T21 Arms 4P Bonus - Mortal Strike Buffs WW/Slam - Mortal Strike increases the damage and critical strike chance of your next Whirlwind or Slam by 15%, stacking up to 3 times. Item - Warrior T21 Fury 2P Bonus - Rampage Damage Over Time - Rampage causes the target to bleed for an additional 30% of the direct damage dealt to the target over 4 sec. Item - Warrior T21 Fury 4P Bonus - Recklessness Buffs Rampage - When you activate Battle Cry, the damage of your next Rampage is increased by 150%. Item - Warrior T21 Protection 2P Bonus - Demo Shout Buffs Shield Block Duration - When you cast Demoralizing Shout, the duration of your next Shield Block is increased by 6.0 sec. Item - Warrior T21 Protection 2P Bonus - Blocked Attacks Buff Ignore Pain - Blocking an attack increases the value of an existing Ignore Pain effect by [ 400% of Attack Power ]. This can only occur once every 1 sec. Normal Tint

Mythic Tint

See also
      Tier 21 Death Knight Tier 21 Demon Hunter Tier 21 Druid Tier 21 Mage Tier 21 Monk Tier 21 Paladin Tier 21 Priest Tier 21 Rogue Tier 21 Shaman Tier 21 Warlock
    • By Stan

A source of the latest information related to Patch 7.3 and beyond!
      Our Patch 7.3 hub organizes all 7.3 data and latest news coverage in a single place.
      Welcome to our centralized hub dedicated to the biggest patch ever introduced to World of Warcraft. For easier navigation, we'll keep it updated throughout testing by adding links to our latest coverage, so that you won't miss out on any important information.
      Patch 7.3
      Patch 7.3 titled "Shadows of Argus" is now live. For more information we suggest reading our Shadows of Argus Survival Guide. All our class guides have been updated with Netherlight Crucible trait recommendations.
      Official Patch Notes Invasion Points Guide // Greater Invasion Points Guide Undocumented Changes in Patch 7.3 List of Known Issues Mythic Keystone Runs & Difficulty Changes Returning Player Guide Reputation Guides (Argussian Reach & Army of the Light) Relinquished & Unsullied Token Clarifications Blizzplanet's Gamescom Interview with Ion Hazzikostas Ion Hazzikostas Patch 7.3 Interview  Content Rollout Schedule Dungeons (M+) Changes Patch 7.3 Hotfixes
      The following hotfixes have been applied to live servers so far:
      Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 22 *new* Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 19 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 16 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 13 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 12 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 8 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 6 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 5 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 1 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - August 30 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - August 29 Build Highlights // Class Changes
      In this section, you will find the most recent changes sorted by build.
      Patch 7.3 Build 24853 Patch 7.3 Build 24727  Patch 7.3 Build 24651 Patch 7.3 Build 24608 // Feral Druid // Frost DK & Mage Changes Patch 7.3: Upcoming Frost Death Knight Changes Patch 7.3 Build 24539 // Patch 7.3 Feral Druid Changes Patch 7.3.0 Build 24500 Patch 7.3.0 Build 24473 Dev Notes
      Blizzard usually posts on the official forums once a new PTR build is deployed to test realms, giving an overview of new features that become available for testing.
      Build 24829 Build 24608 Build 24539 Build 24500 Build 24473 Artifact Power & Advancement
      In Patch 7.3, you will be able to unlock the Netherlight Crucible, a new way of Artifact customization via relics.
      Artifact Knowledge Changes The Netherlight Crucible Guide Antorus the Burning Throne
      The new raid is currently tested on PTR and will be available in Patch 7.3.5.
      Antorus, the Burning Throne Raid Preview (Build 24473) Antorus Raid Rewards Antorus Raid Zone Preview Part 1 Antorus Raid Zone Preview Part 2 Antorus Raid Zone Preview Part 3 Antorus & The Pantheon Legion Ending & Next Expansion Leaks New Creature Models (Antorus Bosses, Titans, Lore Characters) (Build 24473) Tier 21 Sets
      In Antorus, you will find Tier 21 Sets dropping from the bosses.
      Tier 21 Sets Preview (Normal Tints) // Mythic Tints Tier 21 Death Knight (Build 24608) Tier 21 Demon Hunter (Build 25021) Tier 21 Druid (Build 24500) Tier 21 Mage (Build 24651) Tier 21 Monk (Build 24539) Tier 21 Paladin (Build 24539) Tier 21 Priest (Build 24500) Tier 21 Rogue (Build 24539) Tier 21 Shaman (Build 25021) Tier 21 Warlock (24651) Tier 21 Warrior (Build 25021)  *new* Argus & Gameplay Videos
      Argus is a new planet that has three zones. Krokuun, Mac'Aree and Antoran Wastes. In the following articles, you will find detailed information about all the different zones.
      How to Get to Argus (Intro) Vindicaar Matrix Core Powers & Assessment Argus Gameplay Part 1 (up to Krokuun) (Build 24473) Argus Gameplay Part 2 (End of Chapter 1) (Build 24500) Argus Gameplay Part 3 (Mac'Aree) (Build 24539) New Factions
      Two new factions have been added to the game in Patch 7.3.
      Argussian Reach (Faction) Preview Army of Light Faction Preview Weapons of the Lightforged (Build 24473) Gearing & Alts
      All useful information in terms of gearing and alts.
      Reputation Catch-up & New Heirloom Amulet Unsullied & Confiscated Gear Veiled Argunite & New Gear Tokens Invasion Points
      A new type of repeatable content, aka scenarios with different stages with the goal to defeat a boss at the end.
      Invasion Points // "Lesser & Greater Rifts" Coming to WoW Invasion Point: Blood (Build 24539) Invasion Point: Ice (Build 24539) Seat of the Triumvirate
      A new five-player dungeon located in Mac'Aree (Argus)
      Seat of the Triumvirate (Dungeon) (Build 24608) New Transmog Items (Build 24500) Missions
      New Champion Equipment & Missions Mounts
      New Mounts (Build 24473) Lightforged Golem Mount Shackled Ur'zul (Mythic Argus Mount) Pets
      How to Tame Panthara Pets *new* New Tameable Hunter Pets (Build 24781) New Pets (Build 24473) New Pets (Build 24853) Professions
      New Profession Updates (Build 24473) // The Future of Obliterum World Bosses
      New World Bosses (Build 24473) New Caster Animations
      In Patch 7.3, several caster Classes received updates to their animations.
      Official Preview Druid, Mage, Shaman Animations (Build 24473) Priest Animations (Build 24473) Restoration Shaman Animations (Build 24500)