FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
PaasHaaS

Varian Wrynn in Tempo/Midrange Warrior

One of my favourite decks atm is the Tempo Warrior. It's been performing really well for me so far but one card just feels less than optimal in the list: Varian Wrynn.

Decklist: https://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/legendary-tempo-warrior-standard-deck

My issues with Varian Wrynn:

- As mentioned in the guide already, sometimes you don't want to play him due to drawing into fatigue too much. With how often I seem to run into control decks, having a win-condition that suddenly becomes useless in the deck just feels bad.

- No controle over the cards being insta-summoned; Against opponents with multiple board clears you want to keep your board threatening without over-extending. Since most decent players will try to keep a board clear for the inevitable Varian Wrynn play, it's not always possible to bait out all of their removal. If you then play Varian and you pull 1 or more of your other late game cards this could instantly lose you the game. You can of course always opt to not play Varian in this scenario, but then again, he's useless.

So, I'm looking for a proper replacement. My initial thought goes to Arch-Thief Rafaam. He's a strong body that requires removal + you get the option of flooding the board, pretty much forcing a board clear without losing your other valuable cards on it.

Any other suggestions or views on Varian Wrynn?

Edited by PaasHaaS

1 hour ago, PaasHaaS said:

Any other suggestions or views on Varian Wrynn?

If you're looking for a replacement, maybe Ysera fits the bill?

The 4/12 stats force removal via Equality/Nether/whatever even faster than Varian would, she can take some serious damage, she has to be removed or can snowball extremely fast.

She can drop:

• Awakens for an activator on Grom or board clear.
  • Dream for Malkorok or Sap-like removal.
  • Drake/Sister as irritating minions to remove.
  • Nightmare for lethal or better trades.

Don't know if she's exactly what you want/need, but she can be just as much of a pain as Varian without the negatives.

4 hours ago, VaraTreledees said:

I don't recall which legend streamer it was, but he was running rafaam in his tempo warrior so it is a viable option.

It is Sjow's tempo warrior list, which features Rafaam.

While playing this deck, rafaam actually seemed a lot better than varian. But in the end, it's just preference.

In my opinion, Varian is pretty good for this meta at least. Not a lot of fatigue decks around.

The deck is called tempo warrior after all, so you should aim for the maximum tempo with every mana. Varian wrynn does that by giving you card draw and potential immediate minions on the board. This is the reason why tempo warrior runs more minions that do not really matter if their battlecry is forfeited(except malkorok).

Removal is less usefull in a sense now, so it will be harder for the enemy to deal with multiple enemies at once.

Ysera and rafaam in my opinion is not suitable in this deck. Ysera more of a control card, making it somewhat too slow if you are facing an aggro deck, especially with the tempo warrior deck list.

Rafaam is to situational. Its not that I dislike the card, but I feel that it is simply not suited in this deck. The 10-mana artifacts barely serve to be of help, and you leave no board presence unless you pick the mirror of doom. Further more, mirror of doom is more easily situated to board clears I.e excavated evil, enemy warrior using revenge at 12 health, lightning storm, etc.

Varian is a good win condition, but make sure to bait removals before playing him. Personal preference

• Like 1