Damien

Heroes of the Storm Medivh

27 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Medivh guide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kendric is currently in Sweden, casting Dreamhack and the Summer Championships. Just warning you that you may not get a very prompt reply :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey!! Actually I am using different build with a lot of succes.

First mana refund on Arcane.

Then depands on opposite faction - either 200% boost to view or revealing stealth.

Then 25% more dmg bonus.

Then Medivh Void Prison.

Then faster raven.

Then Reabsorption.

And either Tristfall Guardian for defense or Invisibility or Arcane power.

 

Also I found out Medivh is REALLY stron with Zerathul + Nova combo. They can pick almost anybody instantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys! 

With Medivh being successfully used in competitive play and the latest balance update being live, I am now going to update the guide over the next few days. Stay tuned! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2016 at 2:56 PM, Guest cakewalk said:

From my recent experience, Medivh works as a great counter against Samuro!

Thanks for letting us know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any way to tell if you'll be good on Medivh? I have tried him, but playing against an AI without any teammates who could/will use your abilities (not the Malf bot) doesn't really give a good idea. Just as a side note, I am not a great support player, and Force of Will might be my weakest skill on him in a team fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to finish the;

Medivh Strategy, Tips, and Tricks

part?

Disclaimer said it was gonna be done within a few weeks after Medivhs arrival....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guide team is in the process of re-formatting all the guides and I believe that section will get rolled into the abilities section and the talents section once they get to  Medivh. 

@Niteshadow- unless you play almost exclusively with a team that communicates over voice, force of will is your most powerful and important ability. You ability as a solo Medivh is determined largely by you ability to predict and block huge bursts of damage on a regular basis. 

 

With coordinated teammates your scouting in raven form and your timely portals start to become way more important, but I definitely think Medivhs not for you if you are confident that you'll never be good at catching incoming damage with force of will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Voltorocks said:

The guide team is in the process of re-formatting all the guides and I believe that section will get rolled into the abilities section and the talents section once they get to  Medivh. 

@Niteshadow- unless you play almost exclusively with a team that communicates over voice, force of will is your most powerful and important ability. You ability as a solo Medivh is determined largely by you ability to predict and block huge bursts of damage on a regular basis. 

 

With coordinated teammates your scouting in raven form and your timely portals start to become way more important, but I definitely think Medivhs not for you if you are confident that you'll never be good at catching incoming damage with force of will. 

Alright, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2017 at 11:12 AM, Guest Medivh strat finish said:

Disclaimer said it was gonna be done within a few weeks after Medivhs arrival....

Essentially, that portion of the guide doesn't exist in the new guide formats. When Medivh does make the transition, it instead gets lumped together with the general playstyle section. This should be happening very soon, as far as I know. You can see what I mean in the Tassadar guide, for example, which has been updated to the new format.

Sorry for the wait!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2017 at 8:23 PM, Voltorocks said:

The guide team is in the process of re-formatting all the guides and I believe that section will get rolled into the abilities section and the talents section once they get to  Medivh. 

Thanks for helping to answer those questions :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2017 at 8:25 PM, Niteshadow said:

Alright, thanks!

Sorry that I didn't get round to your question, but glad to see it got picked up by another helpful soul :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just hopped in to say "Ley Line Seal" might be good for "freezing" half of the enemy team mid-fight while you deal with the un"frozen" ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, Ley Line Seal can be used to steal boss from the other team. l have done it countless times. l actually think Poly Bomb is not a very good pick unless you are new to Medivh. 2 seconds are way more enough for enemies to spread out and avoid the chain reaction, unless they are bad.... lt is only good to lock down a single target like tracer, or zeratul to prevent them from disengaging. Or use it to counter offense such as  Butcher's Lamb to Slaughter(Assuming you are not the target) and ETC's Mosh Pit(QM people are pretty bad, there was once ETC's Mosh Pit got 2 people, l ley line seal, then after the stasis ends, his mosh pit got 3 people, and yes, l pinged retreat but nobody listened).  At level 20, Guardian of Trisifall is a lot better than Glyph of Poly Bomb, and l go for arcane intelligence if there are at least 2 hero that requires mana.  And Medivh Cheats is also a pretty good talent, sometimes ley line seal can't hit all enemy on boss, so change direction will make it very likely to steal boss from the other team, and  1 additional second of stasis make it almost on par with void prison. Medivh can fly in as raven to cast Ley Line Seal, and change direction to avoid hitting unintentional target. l mean this talent is just way better than void  prison. Void  Prison can't be used  to steal boss, because the spot will be in stasis too.

--- approximately level 30 Medivh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Guest Eastwall said:

Look, Ley Line Seal can be used to steal boss from the other team. l have done it countless times. l actually think Poly Bomb is not a very good pick unless you are new to Medivh. 2 seconds are way more enough for enemies to spread out and avoid the chain reaction, unless they are bad.... lt is only good to lock down a single target like tracer, or zeratul to prevent them from disengaging. Or use it to counter offense such as  Butcher's Lamb to Slaughter(Assuming you are not the target) and ETC's Mosh Pit(QM people are pretty bad, there was once ETC's Mosh Pit got 2 people, l ley line seal, then after the stasis ends, his mosh pit got 3 people, and yes, l pinged retreat but nobody listened).  At level 20, Guardian of Trisifall is a lot better than Glyph of Poly Bomb, and l go for arcane intelligence if there are at least 2 hero that requires mana.  And Medivh Cheats is also a pretty good talent, sometimes ley line seal can't hit all enemy on boss, so change direction will make it very likely to steal boss from the other team, and  1 additional second of stasis make it almost on par with void prison. Medivh can fly in as raven to cast Ley Line Seal, and change direction to avoid hitting unintentional target. l mean this talent is just way better than void  prison. Void  Prison can't be used  to steal boss, because the spot will be in stasis too.

--- approximately level 30 Medivh.

The guide is currently on our rework list, and will be updated soon-ish. 

The sad thing about Medivh's Heroics is that they are weak. I would put both talents as Situational, or Recommended. 
Agree with you on T20. Guardian of TirisfalGuardian of Tirisfal is indeed very powerful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

l would  not say they are both weak. lt is just hard to use, or hard for your team to follow up(l think this is the major reason, but at least Ley Line Seal is quit stable at helping teammate disengage). Glyph of Poly Bomb is a good  talent, but Guardian of Tirisfall is just too good to be passed in many situations. 

Also, Portal Mastery is indeed for advanced Medivh player(l am working on that talent now). Maybe put that as situational? Since that is not a bad talent at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Guest Eastwall said:

l would  not say they are both weak. lt is just hard to use, or hard for your team to follow up(l think this is the major reason, but at least Ley Line Seal is quit stable at helping teammate disengage). Glyph of Poly Bomb is a good  talent, but Guardian of Tirisfall is just too good to be passed in many situations. 

Also, Portal Mastery is indeed for advanced Medivh player(l am working on that talent now). Maybe put that as situational? Since that is not a bad talent at all. 

If your team is unable to follow up most of the time (when the Heroic is meant to set up the field), it is a reason to call the Heroic weak. If the enemy team is able to evade the Heroic somewhat easily if they pay enough attention, it is a reason to call the talent weak. I think it might be the biggest reason why Medivh is currently sitting at tier 4 out of 5.

Portal MasteryPortal Mastery impairs your ability to fight or help your team during fight, as you need time to set the portals up. Now, the Situational tier is meant for abilities that are better than  under circumstances that aren't super rare. When do you pick Portal MasteryPortal Mastery over Raven's IntellectRaven's Intellect and Stable PortalStable Portal knowing, that it is the best pick?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, positiv2 said:

I think it might be the biggest reason why Medivh is currently sitting at tier 4 out of 5.

I think the biggest reason Medivh is at this current Tier List spot is because the huge complexity behind the character. In my opinion he is potentially a Top Tier since he is pretty much a jack-of-trades: he can shield allies (with invulnerability), grant them a escape/engage/chase mechanic using his portals, deals decent damage in low cooldowns, can scout the maps better than any other hero and has two strong CCs in the form of his Heroics.

The problem of Medivh is how hard it is required to play him right; a pro Medivh can easily turn the tide of any match given the utility he brings to team. But without proper communication he fails to unleash his true potential, because all his skills require that.

I don't think that Ley Line Seal is so bad; it's just a less powerful Void Prison. It is more situational then Poly Bomb, but it is not a bad Heroic in my opinion. I've seen players flipping the tables with this skill in beautiful ways. I once even witnessed a Ley Line Seal followed by a Void Prison that have enough time for the healer to top the health of an entire team doomed to fall.

Edited by Valhalen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the portal build, however I felt the need to express my disagreement concerning the heroic options.

I find Ley Line Seal very easy to land, and if you manage to freeze the entire ennemy team, you can wait until they finish a boss and just casually steal them and return in Raven Form. It can also be used should you be victim of a gank, since using Raven Form (or Portal) takes less time than the duration of the time stop.

Poly Bomb on the other hand, seems unrelyable. If not used with others forms of crowd control, the targetted ennemy will just walk away from the team for 2 seconds, and come back. Assuming they have some form of shielding, it even prevents from frocusing this ennemy for those 2 seconds. It seems to only work in choke points, where the ennemy team can hardly spread out, and in that case, Ley Line Seal seems to be a better option.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13. 6. 2017 at 1:21 AM, Farbas said:

I use the portal build, however I felt the need to express my disagreement concerning the heroic options.

I find Ley Line Seal very easy to land, and if you manage to freeze the entire ennemy team, you can wait until they finish a boss and just casually steal them and return in Raven Form. It can also be used should you be victim of a gank, since using Raven Form (or Portal) takes less time than the duration of the time stop.

Poly Bomb on the other hand, seems unrelyable. If not used with others forms of crowd control, the targetted ennemy will just walk away from the team for 2 seconds, and come back. Assuming they have some form of shielding, it even prevents from frocusing this ennemy for those 2 seconds. It seems to only work in choke points, where the ennemy team can hardly spread out, and in that case, Ley Line Seal seems to be a better option.

The issue with this is that both heroics are situational, unreliable (easy to avoid), somewhat weak on their own (they both need a strong follow-up from your team), and both work in the same situation. Some time ago, Poly BombPoly Bomb was the better talent, but due to meta shifts the power has shifted to both heroics being on pretty much the same level, and being a thing of personal preference. The guide hasn't been updated simply because nobody really plays Medivh (the only heroes with lower popularity are TLV and Cho'Gall), and energy and time were focused on more important guides and builds. 

So, I disagree with the current build (I believe both should be Situational), but there isn't much else I can do about it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm finding "Master's touch" to be downright awful I don't think you should be recommending this as a single mistake sets you back to 0 and you get no benefit until those 30 hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Guest Queb said:

I'm finding "Master's touch" to be downright awful I don't think you should be recommending this as a single mistake sets you back to 0 and you get no benefit until those 30 hits.

You need to be more careful if you pick this quest, but when poking from afar, the risk is low and the payout is huge. If not possible, it's just high risk - high reward quest talent. If you are unsuccessful when completing the quest, you should pick Arcane ExplosionArcane Explosion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Vlad
      This thread is for comments about our Aggramar guide.
    • By Stan

      Winter Veil will be very similar to Hallow's End in terms of functionality. During the event, Winter Veil Loot Chests will drop and they have a chance to contain new and old Winter Veil skins. This year, Blizzard added new skins for Kharazim, Malfurion, Malthael and Valla and the Gingerboard mount!
      It seems that all skins have 5 different tints. A special thanks goes to the Heroes of the Storm reddit community and especially redditor iolixir for most of the screenshots.
      Redditor Davesendave posted all new skins on reddit. Some Heroes are getting new tints for their old skins.
      Kharazim Skins (Credit to redditor Davesendave)
      Coal Winter Veil Kharazim Evergreen Winter Veil Kharazim Frozen Winter Veil Kharazim Rosy Winter Veil Kharazim Winter Veil Kharazim
      Lunara Skins (Credit to redditor iolixir)
      Cold Winter Veil Lunara Mistletoe Winter Veil Lunara Snowfall Winter Veil Lunara Starry Winter Veil Lunara Winter Veil Lunara
      Malfurion Skins (Credit to redditor iolixir)
      Coal Greatfather WInter Malfurion Greatfather WInter Malfurion Icy Greatfather Winter Malfurion Naughty Greatfather Winter Malfurion Rosy Greatfather Winter Malfurion
      Malthael Skins (Credit to redditor iolixir)
      Chilling Season's Reapings Malthael Coal Season's Reapings Malthael Hallowed Season's Reapings Malthael Plum Season's Reapings Malthael Season's Reapings Malthael
      Nazeebo Skins (Credit to redditor Davesendave)
      Fruitcake Gingerdread Nazeebo Moldy Gingerdread Nazeebo
      Stitches Skins (Credit to redditor iolixir)
      Ivory Greatfather WInter Stitches
      Sylvanas Skins (Credit to redditor Davesendave)
      Sweet Plum Sylvanas
      Valla Skins (Credit to redditors iolixir & Davesendave)
      Coal Winter's Helper Valla Icewind Winter's Helper Valla Ivy Winter's Helper Valla Plum Winter's Helper Valla Winter's Helper Valla
      Gingerboard Mount (Credit to redditor Davesendave for the Moldy Gingerboard)
      Blueberry Gingerboard Frosted Gingerboard Gingerboard Moldy Gingerboard Strawberry Gingerboard
      Reign-Deer Mount (Credit to redditor Davesendave for the Arctic Reign-Deer)
      Arctic Reign-Deer Iceforged Reign-Deer
    • By Vlad
      This thread is for comments about our Varimathras guide.
    • By Vlad
      This thread is for comments about our Felhounds of Sargeras guide.
    • By Vlad
      This thread is for comments about our Argus the Unmaker guide.