Medivh Build Guide “Nothing less than perfection will do.”
Welcome to our guide for Medivh, a Ranged Specialist in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Medivh's Overview
Medivh is a ranged Specialist with an exceptional amount of utility, which makes him one of the most flexible and adaptable Heroes in the game. His Force of Will possesses incredible synergy with Warriors and melee Assassins, in particular, Portal can be used to execute deadly ganks or tricky escape manoeuvres. One of Medivh's greatest strengths is his ability to scout the battlefield with his Raven Form. Doing so gathers valuable information for his team, which allows them to always be one step ahead of their opponents. With all the utility Medivh provides, he also requires a lot of game knowledge and experience to unleash his full potential. However, if played well, Medivh can single-handedly influence the outcome of a game in his team's favour.
2. Medivh's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Powerful crowd control abilities
- Exceptional scouting capabilities
- Synergises extremely well with melee Assassins and Bruisers
- Flexible playstyle
- Superior utility
- Relatively low damage output
- High skill curve
- Portal placement requires some practice
- Cannot replace a true Support
3. Medivh's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Force of Will BuildTalent calculator »
The Will of Force Build is a well-rounded Talent Build that focuses on both Medivh's defense and offense. While Raven's Intellect at Level 1 provides him with decent Mana and health regeneration, Arcane Explosion becomes an incredibly powerful talent if timed well against heavy damage from the enemy team. At Level 10 we recommend either Poly Bomb or Ley Line Seal depending on your team composition's playstyle. If you have other AoE combo abilities available, such as Diablo's Apocalypse, then Ley Line Seal becomes the perfect foundation to execute devastating crowd control chains. If the enemy team composition features aggressive Assassins, however, Poly Bomb can become a great counter to hinder their movement and render them defenseless for a couple of seconds.
4. Medivh's Synergies and Counters
Medivh does not have any natural counters per se, however, he is generally susceptible to damage over time. Poison damage continues to tick after Force of Will expires and as such the ability loses some of its value. Crowd control effects, such as Malfurion's Entangling Roots can be placed at the entrance of a Portal, preventing allies or Medivh to move, so when playing against those Heroes, use Portals with caution.
5. Medivh's Maps
Medivh thrives on battlegrounds that allow him to scout the enemy team's rotations. Consequently, Cursed Hollow or Tomb of the Spider Queen are great choices for him to be deployed. Make sure to use Portal to allow allied Heroes to surprise enemies and keep your team informed on their moves. Mercenary and Boss Camps, in particular, are important to track, as they allow your allies to either contest them or rotate accordingly to take them out swiftly.
6. Medivh's Tips and Tricks
- Raven Form is a formidable scouting tool that can allow your team to intercept enemy Heroes.
- Portal can be used aggressively to chase down enemy Heroes and initate team fights from an unexpected angle. It can also be used defensively to help allied Heroes escape.
- Ley Line Seal can be the ideal foundation for other AoE abilities to follow up on. It can also be used to steal Mercenary or Boss Camps if all enemy Heroes are trapped inside.
- Poly Bomb can be a great tool to punish aggressive enemy Assassins, such as Tracer or Genji.
7. Medivh's Role In The Current Meta
Medivh has the rare ability to make allies Invulnerable for a short period of time using Force of Will. This makes him an ideal match with aggressive Assassins and Bruisers, such as Illidan, Tracer, or Sonya.
Raven Form proves to be an incredibly useful scouting tool, as enemy Heroes cannot attack Medivh while he is in that form. This allows him to gather intel on enemy movement and rotations, however, he should not separate himself too far from his teammates, since the Raven's movement speed is slower than that of normal mounts. Furthermore, Medivh can wreak havoc within the enemy lines due to the exceptional crowd control effects provided by both of his Heroic Abilities, Poly Bomb and Ley Line Seal.
- 04 Apr. 2018 (talents page): Updated Medivh's talents in accordance with the most recent Balance Updates.
- 13 Mar. 2018 (this page): Guide updated for patch 2.30.4
- Heroes of the Storm Patch Notes: November 13th
- Heroic Deals: November 13th
- Orphea Comic
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: November 13th
- BlizzCon 2018 Diablo Immortal Press Conference Recap
- Orphea Talent Calculator Now Live
- Activision Blizzard Q3 2018 Earnings Call
- Weekly Brawl - Trial Grounds: November 9th
- Heroes of the Storm Orphea
- Heroes of the Storm Jaina
- Heroes of the Storm Lúcio
- Heroes of the Storm Mal'Ganis
- New tactic idea
- Heroes of the Storm Brightwing
- Heroes of the Storm Zeratul
- Heroes of the Storm Chromie