Medivh Build Guide “Nothing less than perfection will do.”
Welcome to our guide for Medivh, a Support in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Medivh is a ranged Specialist with an exceptional amount of utility, which makes him one of the most flexible and adaptable Heroes in the game. His Force of Will possesses incredible synergy with Warriors and melee Assassins, in particular, Portal can be used to execute deadly ganks or tricky escape manoeuvres. One of Medivh's greatest strengths is his ability to scout the battlefield with his Raven Form. Doing so gathers valuable information for his team, which allows them to always be one step ahead of their opponents. With all the utility Medivh provides, he also requires a lot of game knowledge and experience to unleash his full potential. However, if played well, Medivh can single-handedly influence the outcome of a game in his team's favour.
Medivh's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Powerful crowd control abilities
- Exceptional scouting capabilities
- Synergises extremely well with melee Assassins and Bruisers
- Flexible playstyle
- Superior utility
- Relatively low damage output
- High skill curve
- Portal placement requires some practice
- Cannot replace a true Support
Medivh's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Standard BuildTalent calculator »
This build focuses on both Medivh's defense and offense. Arcane Explosion becomes an incredibly powerful talent if timed well against heavy damage from the enemy team. At Level 10 we recommend either Poly Bomb or Ley Line Seal depending on your team composition's playstyle. If you have other AoE combo abilities available, such as Diablo's Apocalypse, then Ley Line Seal becomes the perfect foundation to execute devastating crowd control chains. If the enemy team composition features aggressive Assassins, however, Poly Bomb can become a great counter to hinder their movement and render them defenseless for a couple of seconds.
Medivh's Synergies and Counters
Medivh is a very powerful enabler of aggressive hard-engaging Assassins. Allowing those Heroes to become Invulnerable for 1.5 seconds can help them go for the big plays and escape dangerous situations. A very popular combo with Medivh is the Stitches Gorge into Portal or the Ley-line Seal into Diablo Apocalypse
Medivh does not have any natural counters per se, however, he is generally susceptible to damage over time. Poison damage continues to tick after Force of Will expires and as such the ability loses some of its value. Crowd control effects, such as Malfurion's Entangling Roots can be placed at the entrance of a Portal, preventing allies or Medivh to move, so when playing against those Heroes, use Portals with caution.
Medivh thrives on battlegrounds that allow him to scout the enemy team's rotations. Consequently, Cursed Hollow or Sky Temple are great choices for him to be deployed. Make sure to use Portal to allow allied Heroes to surprise enemies and keep your team informed on their moves. Mercenary and Boss Camps, in particular, are important to track, as they allow your allies to either contest them or rotate accordingly to take them out swiftly.
Medivh's Tips and Tricks
- Raven Form is a formidable scouting tool that can allow your team to intercept enemy Heroes.
- Portal can be used aggressively to chase down enemy Heroes and initate team fights from an unexpected angle. It can also be used defensively to help allied Heroes escape.
- Ley Line Seal can be the ideal foundation for other AoE abilities to follow up on. It can also be used to steal Mercenary or Boss Camps if all enemy Heroes are trapped inside.
- Poly Bomb can be a great tool to punish aggressive enemy Assassins, such as Tracer or Genji.
Medivh's Role In The Current Meta
Medivh has the rare ability to make allies Invulnerable for a short period of time using Force of Will. This makes him an ideal match with aggressive Assassins and Bruisers, such as Illidan, Tracer, or Sonya.
Raven Form proves to be an incredibly useful scouting tool, as enemy Heroes cannot attack Medivh while he is in that form. This allows him to gather intel on enemy movement and rotations, however, he should not separate himself too far from his teammates, since the Raven's movement speed is slower than that of normal mounts. Furthermore, Medivh can wreak havoc within the enemy lines due to the exceptional crowd control effects provided by both of his Heroic Abilities, Poly Bomb and Ley Line Seal.
- 04 Sep. 2019 (talents page): Guide has been reviewed for latest patch and no changes are needed.
- 04 Sep. 2019 (this page): Guide has been reviewed for latest patch and no changes are needed.
- 12 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Updated Medivh's talents in accordance with the most recent Balance Updates.
- 04 Apr. 2018 (talents page): Updated Medivh's talents in accordance with the most recent Balance Updates.
- 13 Mar. 2018 (this page): Guide updated for patch 2.30.4
- Introducing Mastery Rings
- Heroic Deals: October 15th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: October 15th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 15th
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: October 11th
- Heroic Deals: October 8th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 8th
- Weekly Brawl - Lost Cavern: October 4th
- Heroes of the Storm Kel'Thuzad
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat
- Auriel's Best Hope Bearers
- Heroes of the Storm Varian
- Heroes of the Storm Rehgar
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Ana's Best Nano-Busters