FORUMS
Damien

Survival Hunter 7.3

On 2/22/2017 at 0:53 AM, TalonShadowsong said:

So, if we want to nitpick, I suppose the 100% value would be 16.7x6 = 100.2%

Thanks for picking that up and helping Talon :)

On 3/4/2017 at 1:55 AM, Guest Eliazer said:

This is fabulous info, thank you! 

Just stopping by to confirm what Sacred has said. As for trinket comparisons, the bar-chart style of sim-testing shown in the BiS section will show that your BI will be worse.

On 3/4/2017 at 3:49 PM, Guest Sacredblaze said:

It's definetely hard to say..

Thanks for helping with those questions Sacred :)

2 hours ago, xardasbot1 said:

i think on 7.2 patch traits i need more critical for new mongose trait 20% critical damage?

All updates for 7.2 will come shortly. I would wait for that information to be released and the patch to go live.

We are currently in the process of updating our guides in preparation for the release of 7.2 - please understand that we will not be answering questions in this section about "What is better for 7.2?" prior to the patch release, since all the information will be available when the patch goes live. Please be patient and thanks for waiting!

Guest Gnoschitt

So I've recently came back to WoW after a 6 year break and respec'd my MM Hunter to Survival. Without going into great detail, I am loving the spec thus far and find the dps to very solid. However, my question is about the pet. Everything I can find says that it doesn't matter which pet you choose outside of utility (rez, party buff, etc). However, I noticed that when I switch pets and target them with beast lore, each pet shows a different dps. Out of the pets I currently (Cat, Mechanical Spider, Stork and Riverbeast) Cat shows the highest dps and the rest fall in the same order posted. Just to confirm, I tried them all out on the target dummies at Trueshot Lodge and they did indeed perform differently.  Is there some updated list that perhaps I am unable to find showing which pets do the most damage per second? I should point out that the damage spread is generally about 5k dps from top to bottom (Cat to Riverbeast). It may sound trivial, but if there is non-exotic pet that can outperform my cat, I feel like I'd be doing my guild a disservice by not taking advantage of it.

Note: Each pet was in ferocity spec and I used the attack command with no additional hunter interaction (attacks) and let each pet run for about 10 minutes each.

Thanks in advance! 

22 hours ago, Guest Gnoschitt said:

Is there some updated list that perhaps I am unable to find showing which pets do the most damage per second?

Can you show me what you found? II can't really comment/help unless I can see the testing, since all Ferocity pets should do exactly the same damage. 

A log would be perfect.

Guest Gnoschitt

As I said, I just came back to the game after an extended absence and I was never very savy in regards to logs and add ons. If you have a hunter, just summon each pet and cast beast lore on them. It will show you different dps values depending on the various pet families. The practice dummies will verify that the listed dps is pretty spot on.

Here are a couple of screenshots of different pets. All in ferocity spec.

1491685488498449816660.jpg

And my Cat

14916856703391346224793.jpg

Guest SacredBlaze
On 8/4/2017 at 10:58 PM, Guest Gnoschitt said:

As I said, I just came back to the game after an extended absence and I was never very savy in regards to logs and add ons. If you have a hunter, just summon each pet and cast beast lore on them. It will show you different dps values depending on the various pet families. The practice dummies will verify that the listed dps is pretty spot on.

Here are a couple of screenshots of different pets. All in ferocity spec.

1491685488498449816660.jpg

And my Cat

14916856703391346224793.jpg

Both pictures are broken.

I imagine that cats have slightly, SLIGHTLY higher damage because they open the combat with a 25% damage boost on their first attack, regardless of this the gain is so marginal it should be negligible. Even if cats did significantly more damage than other pets ( >5% damage) remember that the actual damage from your pet is almost 0 as a Survival Hunter. Then again, in a raid enviroment you should always run with a Crane, even if you already have c-resers, you don't know when they could be unavailable or out of range.

Here is a breakdown of my sources of damage on Gul'Dan NM.

guldan recount.JPG

Guest Gnoschitt

What the pictures were showing were pics of the beast lore info on the two different pets. The difference (as determined by beast lore) was about 5K damage per second which played out on the target dummy. You were correct in that the cat initially spiked higher, but settle back down to around 24-25K over an extended period on the dummy. The crane averaged around 22k and the river beast finished around 20K, All in ferocity. I will update my skada and read up on screen shots so I can post something with some meat to it. 

Just for poops and giggles, I cast beast lore on some MM hunters and there were significant differences listed between the hati pet and their second pet. One hunter, which I assume was running in ferocity, had a 9k dps gap between the two pets. I checked several MM hunters and the posted dps (beast lore) varied by different degrees and totals, which I assume was due to different ilvl of the various hunters and pet combos. At some point, I will switch to MM to test this as well. 

I guess at the end of the day, 5K or 9k more per second is trivial. I suppose that's what I am trying to determine - does it not matter which pet you choose (from a dps standpoint) because the pets are supposed to do the same damage or does it not matter because the differences are enough to warrant fussing over.

4 hours ago, Guest Gnoschitt said:

I guess at the end of the day, 5K or 9k more per second is trivial. I suppose that's what I am trying to determine - does it not matter which pet you choose (from a dps standpoint) because the pets are supposed to do the same damage or does it not matter because the differences are enough to warrant fussing over.

From casting Beast Lore on my own pets, I can't find a difference between any of them oddly. They have exactly the same damage range listed, so I'm really not sure what to do. There shouldn't be a difference in DPS.

Guest Thordanis

I noticed that in the change log for Stat priority it was posted that agility was removed from the listing because it was causing confusion. So really stupid question here but does haste and mastery now come above agility or is agility still the overall stat?

4 hours ago, Guest Thordanis said:

I noticed that in the change log for Stat priority it was posted that agility was removed from the listing because it was causing confusion. So really stupid question here but does haste and mastery now come above agility or is agility still the overall stat?

Agility will pretty much always be top on your priority. If you're ever confused, you can always double check with how the pawn string weights them :)

Guest Arctos

How does the crafted legendary compare to the dropped ones?  Leaning towards it not being worth the cost, but figured I'd ask.

7 minutes ago, Guest Arctos said:

How does the crafted legendary compare to the dropped ones?  Leaning towards it not being worth the cost, but figured I'd ask.

Somewhere in the middle.

Quoted from a Live Developer Q/A from February 23:

• Crafted Legendaries aren't intended to be best Legendary items you can get, they provide a "solid middle ground" and don't count against bad luck protection.

Guest Arctos
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Crafted Legendaries aren't intended to be best Legendary items you can get, they provide a "solid middle ground" and don't count against bad luck protection.

Well yeah, but it's blizzard.  I'm not certain intent is gonna line up with reality.

On 4/20/2017 at 10:10 PM, Guest Arctos said:

Well yeah, but it's blizzard.  I'm not certain intent is gonna line up with reality.

Similar comparison to stat stick trinket vs. proc trinket. The new legendaries have basically no useful proc/ability, so they are just a massive stat budget item. It's very unlikely you'll take it over most of the dropped legendaries, but it will depend on current pieces. You can basically compare them as you would a normal piece of gear through stat weights.

They are also incredibly easy to sim because the effect does nothing for your DPS.

Guest aelna

i am looking at every guide i can about the first tier talents and they keep showing all kinds of different things. i personally hate Way of the Mok'Nathal. it makes the already busy spec go from tolerable to INSANE!!!!!!. how much of a difference is there really between using it and Animal instinct.

On 5/3/2017 at 3:28 AM, Guest aelna said:

i am looking at every guide i can about the first tier talents and they keep showing all kinds of different things. i personally hate Way of the Mok'Nathal. it makes the already busy spec go from tolerable to INSANE!!!!!!. how much of a difference is there really between using it and Animal instinct.

It's definitely worse. I can't give an exact number, since it varies depending on gear, set bonuses, trinkets etc.

AI is better than TA though.

Guest SacredBlaze
On 4/5/2017 at 3:35 PM, Blainie said:

It's definitely worse. I can't give an exact number, since it varies depending on gear, set bonuses, trinkets etc.

AI is better than TA though.

I have tried several times to force myself to use WoTM and it's just an exhausting and (in my opinion) not worth taking talent, in the best of scenarios I got a +5% damage, and sometimes I got -10% damage output compared to Animal Instincs. If by any Boss mechanics you drop your 4 stacks your overall damage goes to the ground. I prefer Animal instincs since it interacts greatly with: your 2 piece tier set bonus, your legendary Call of the Wild and the Convergence of Fates trinket. Sometimes I got only 25secs between each Aspect of the Eagle and the rotation just feels smoother: If Mangoose bites has 3 charges, open a Mangoose window -> Flanking Strike on CD -> Refresh all your 4-5 dots (Explosive trap, Caltrops/Steel Trap, Lacerate, Murder of Crows, Serpent Sting).

This setup encourages you to use Flanking strike as much as possible, this will greatly reduce the CD of your core abilities including Flaking strike itself giving you several more chances of getting stacks of Mangoose bites with that 60% chances from your tier bonus. 

I wish they just remove Raptor Strike and make WoTM to work with Flanking Strike instead of Raptor Strike.

On 5/11/2017 at 4:09 PM, Guest SacredBlaze said:

I have tried several times to force myself to use WoTM and it's just an exhausting and (in my opinion) not worth taking talent, in the best of scenarios I got a +5% damage, and sometimes I got -10% damage output compared to Animal Instincs.

This is the big "but" of WoTM - it's technically better, but it requires so much more input to manage efficiently than AI. If you consistently struggle rather than succeed with it, AI is definitely the right choice unless you force yourself to "learn" to manage WoTM in those horrible encounter moments.

Guest SacredBlaze
20 hours ago, Blainie said:

This is the big "but" of WoTM - it's technically better, but it requires so much more input to manage efficiently than AI. If you consistently struggle rather than succeed with it, AI is definitely the right choice unless you force yourself to "learn" to manage WoTM in those horrible encounter moments.

100% Agree. With the new legendary that flat out gives you AI as a talent I might be tempted to try both AI and WoTM talents at the same time. I like Throwing Axes, the spell itself and rotationally, but I clearly know it's waaay inferior than WoTM.

On 5/16/2017 at 9:00 AM, Guest SacredBlaze said:

100% Agree. With the new legendary that flat out gives you AI as a talent I might be tempted to try both AI and WoTM talents at the same time. I like Throwing Axes, the spell itself and rotationally, but I clearly know it's waaay inferior than WoTM.

Yeah - with AI, at least you are somewhat close. TA is just too far behind, unfortunately. 

Guest SacredBlaze
16 hours ago, Blainie said:

Yeah - with AI, at least you are somewhat close. TA is just too far behind, unfortunately. 

Any quick thoughts about the new Survival legendaries? The legendary ring that give us Serpent Sting seems meh to me and the Legendary Cloak that give us +10% crit chance tagainst Explosive trap burning targets also seems underwelming.

Do you think that with the recent +33% damage to Dragon's fire grenade will make that talent the default choice for single target / 2 targets fights?  I really miss that spell, so cool to use.

10 hours ago, Guest SacredBlaze said:

Any quick thoughts about the new Survival legendaries? The legendary ring that give us Serpent Sting seems meh to me and the Legendary Cloak that give us +10% crit chance tagainst Explosive trap burning targets also seems underwelming.

On the legendaries, I'm not sure yet, honestly. I haven't looked into it too much, but I believe Azor is currently testing everything to ensure it's ready for release.

10 hours ago, Guest SacredBlaze said:

Do you think that with the recent +33% damage to Dragon's fire grenade will make that talent the default choice for single target / 2 targets fights?  I really miss that spell, so cool to use.

Don't quote me on this, but just as a preliminary test, I checked out a few things and I think it's still going to be a loss on ST. 2+, perhaps it'll see use, but I'm still seeing it as a loss on ST.

We'll get a more concrete answer when Azor updates the guides over the coming days for .2.5.