FORUMS
Damien

Unholy Death Knight 7.3

Make sure you guys use your Epidemic before the pulls to try and cap your runic power for big Dark Arbiter damage once you cast it but be aware that when you do that the pet might try to run and pull the boss so press the follow pet action button to keep it with you. I would put that probably in the guide later on!

Edited by Tegu

11 hours ago, Guest A curious DK said:

Why is Haste more important than Mastery now ?

Haste is more important as the GCD on DKs was changed from 1s flat, to 1.5s scaling to 1.0 at 50% and .75s at 100%. It allows you to perform more actions in a set amount of time. On top of that, it increases your rune regeneration rate, which also increases your runic power generation. It makes for much less downtime overall. The biggest change to make haste better was the GCD change though, to my knowledge.

Hi Tegu,

Do we keep the 4 or 2 set bonus from HFC ? or do we just go for stats. And why.

Thanks for your reply.

1 hour ago, Tasz said:

Hi Tegu,

Do we keep the 4 or 2 set bonus from HFC ? or do we just go for stats. And why.

Thanks for your reply.

You want to keep both because 4p is really strong while 2p has good interaction with Shadow Infusion.

Gonna update a few things today like Bursting Sores should be picked combined with Infected Claws if the boss isn't gonna be up for more than 45~ seconds. Bosses like these are Iron Reaver, Kormrok, Fel Lord Zakuun which are just single target with a window of dying 45~seconds or less.

P.S. Blighted Rune Weapon should be picked too for Iron Reaver, Kormrok, Zakuun to help you with the burst. Pestilent pustules isn't worth it without the Artifact Weapon on short fights (45~ sec). Vial might be bis  again for those 3 bosses combined with SoW / Alchemy, needs to be test.

Edited by Tegu

__

1.2.4. Corpse Shield

• /cast Dark Transformation
  • /cast Huddle
  • /cast Protective Bile
  • /cast Corpse Shield

This macro, combined with the Corpse Shield Icon Corpse Shield talent, allows you to transfer 90% of the damage you take to your pet while your pet has 60% damage reduction from Huddle Icon Huddle (or from Protective Bile Icon Protective Bile, if you have the Sludge Belcher Icon Sludge Belcher talent).

__

This macro is not working as intended. Dark transformation takes a second to take affect- so we're actually getting the 50% damage reduction on our pet instead of the Dark transformation 60%. Otherwise the macro works nicely. It just so happens the Dark Transformation part isn't helping at all. Note: I was testing with the Sludge Belcher  talent activated. I don't know if that affected it.

Guest Decimater

I have a question, So i notice that death strike takes 45 RP to use and death coil is 35 rp so wouldn't it be better to use Death strike during dark arbiter so you can get her AP buff higher quicker? or is the damage on scourge strike enough to out weigh it?

9 hours ago, Spinnermask said:

__

1.2.4. Corpse Shield

• /cast Dark Transformation
  • /cast Huddle
  • /cast Protective Bile
  • /cast Corpse Shield

This macro, combined with the Corpse Shield Icon Corpse Shield talent, allows you to transfer 90% of the damage you take to your pet while your pet has 60% damage reduction from Huddle Icon Huddle (or from Protective Bile Icon Protective Bile, if you have the Sludge Belcher Icon Sludge Belcher talent).

__

This macro is not working as intended. Dark transformation takes a second to take affect- so we're actually getting the 50% damage reduction on our pet instead of the Dark transformation 60%. Otherwise the macro works nicely. It just so happens the Dark Transformation part isn't helping at all. Note: I was testing with the Sludge Belcher  talent activated. I don't know if that affected it.

That's true also Dark Transformation shouldn't be part of this macro, i've had it from beta. Thank you for your feedback!

5 hours ago, Guest Decimater said:

I have a question, So i notice that death strike takes 45 RP to use and death coil is 35 rp so wouldn't it be better to use Death strike during dark arbiter so you can get her AP buff higher quicker? or is the damage on scourge strike enough to out weigh it?

Not worth it, Death Coil scales with Mastery while Death Strike doesn't. Death Coil costs 10 less runic power and on top of that restoring energy to your pet. Death Strike doesn't work with neither of the Shadow Infusion / Necrosis / Infected Claws talents.

Guest arf

someone brought up the lack of death coil in the soul reaper rotation. do we not use death coil in the soul reaper rotation? is it last ((filler))? im terrible at simcasting and all that.

5 hours ago, Guest arf said:

someone brought up the lack of death coil in the soul reaper rotation. do we not use death coil in the soul reaper rotation? is it last ((filler))? im terrible at simcasting and all that.

Yes you use Death Coil always, gonna be added to not confuse people. Basically you want to use it always while avoiding capping Runic Power, also if you are playing with Shadow Infusion talent you want to pool runic power so when Dark Transformation drops you can throw back to back Death Coils and reduce the cooldown of it.

Update: I changed some of the talents for situations where you kill the bosses within 1 minute window. That most likely is gonna happen on Iron Reaver, Kormrok and Fel Lord Zakuun. Added Death Coil to all rotations which was missing from everything but the Dark Arbiter one. Next thing i'm gonna add is strength / weakness for the spec and BiS / Trinket section with some explanation behind each choice. Most likely those updates will be  available tomorrow.

Guest Soeki-Frostmane
On 2016-07-20 at 4:19 PM, Tegu said:

You want to keep both because 4p is really strong while 2p has good interaction with Shadow Infusion.

You put All Will Serve behind in everything, is that also true with the Demongaze 2set (does the archer scale with 4set?..what does he scale with) and that we now tend to favor haste? My own testing is a bit wonky.

44 minutes ago, Guest Soeki-Frostmane said:

You put All Will Serve behind in everything, is that also true with the Demongaze 2set (does the archer scale with 4set?..what does he scale with) and that we now tend to favor haste? My own testing is a bit wonky.

All Will Serve was the best talent on beta but was tuned down, it doesn't scale with neither of our t18 bonuses. As for scaling from stats it scales with Strength, Critical Strike, Versatility  and question mark on Haste but probably not.

Guest Soeki-Frostmane

Ok, thank you for the fast reply.

Guest Kordan

This BiS list might confuse people mainly because there's no Again-demons trinket which seems to be number 2 on the list. And also I'm not sure about your pick of BiS legs and some other items.

Guest Tine

Hello!

Yesterday I tested Unholy with propper pre-pull preparation (as written in 4.5.2. Tier 7 Talents) on Iron Reaver and have encountered an issue there.

Once Death and Decay was casted the pet starts engaging the boss. In the unfortunate situation  Sludge Belcher  talent is active too, the abomination very quickly pulls the boss with  Hook, I very much understand the awesomeness of this pre-pull preparation, but for future readers there should be a comment as "20sec before pull, for savety reasons put your pet on passive". ;)

All in all I love this guide and it helped me a lot to get into Unholy DPSing and understand all dependencies of the abilities.

Cheers

Guest Serethal

Just wanted to let you know, after I've embarassed myself a couple of times by accidentally pulling by pre-capping RP with Epidemic:

Simply don't target the boss when using Epidemic, and the pet will not attack it. 

7 hours ago, Guest Kordan said:

This BiS list might confuse people mainly because there's no Again-demons trinket which seems to be number 2 on the list. And also I'm not sure about your pick of BiS legs and some other items.

My very first comment and a few after that were  about how the bis list isn't accurate, i'm gonna add trinket section later on and what you need more or less as items.

7 hours ago, Guest Tine said:

Hello!

Yesterday I tested Unholy with propper pre-pull preparation (as written in 4.5.2. Tier 7 Talents) on Iron Reaver and have encountered an issue there.

Once Death and Decay was casted the pet starts engaging the boss. In the unfortunate situation  Sludge Belcher  talent is active too, the abomination very quickly pulls the boss with  Hook, I very much understand the awesomeness of this pre-pull preparation, but for future readers there should be a comment as "20sec before pull, for savety reasons put your pet on passive". ;)

All in all I love this guide and it helped me a lot to get into Unholy DPSing and understand all dependencies of the abilities.

Cheers

Glad that it helped you.

7 hours ago, Guest Serethal said:

Just wanted to let you know, after I've embarassed myself a couple of times by accidentally pulling by pre-capping RP with Epidemic:

Simply don't target the boss when using Epidemic, and the pet will not attack it. 

Yeah it's a known bug which i should have mentioned, i realized yesterday that you can just dismiss your pet while pooling Runic Power pre-fight and spawn it when you are about to pull, just make sure you have some sort of reminder when your pet isn't with you, i'm using Weak Auras for example to help me out with it.

Guest Serethal
52 minutes ago, Tegu said:

My very first comment and a few after that were  about how the bis list isn't accurate, i'm gonna add trinket section later on and what you need more or less as items.

Glad that it helped you.

Yeah it's a known bug which i should have mentioned, i realized yesterday that you can just dismiss your pet while pooling Runic Power pre-fight and spawn it when you are about to pull, just make sure you have some sort of reminder when your pet isn't with you, i'm using Weak Auras for example to help me out with it.

No need at all, simply clear your target (have nothing selected) while pre pulling, and it won't pull :D

2 minutes ago, Guest Serethal said:

No need at all, simply clear your target (have nothing selected) while pre pulling, and it won't pull :D

Both options will be available, better safe than sorry!

Guest Guest Wolf

So I am thinking of re-specing into Unholy due to Frosts horrible damage and just boring rotation.  Any tips one should be aware of to do this right?  Also, does unholy have any healing abilities or are they just damage gods that healing to them is worthless as they will cleave anything down in mere seconds? :P

7 minutes ago, Guest Guest Wolf said:

So I am thinking of re-specing into Unholy due to Frosts horrible damage and just boring rotation.  Any tips one should be aware of to do this right?  Also, does unholy have any healing abilities or are they just damage gods that healing to them is worthless as they will cleave anything down in mere seconds? :P

Unfortunately they removed our main healing source *Death Pact* and now we have to rely only on Death Strike during Dark Succor procs. Regarding tips i think i have covered every aspect of  Unholy in the guide but make sure to read the comments too. Updating trinket section in a few hours.

Guest Wolf

Thanks for the quick reply!  I guess I will give it a go and hopefully I have some sort of 2-H weapon lying around for me to use. :)

Update:

Added Strengths / Weaknesses for Unholy.

Added Trinket section.

Added a note about pooling Runic Power pre-fights to warn you about pet pulling bosses. To avoid pet pulling  make sure you don't have a target or simply dismiss your pet pool your runic power and summon when you are about to pull.