FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Deyaru

Bone Shield's 2sec 'Grace Period'

Greetings fellow Death Knights,

I came upon some Questions while improving my knowledge about Blood Shield with the skeletal shattering golden trait.

Since I first believed Bone Shield would be consumed without an internal cd but got corrected by the guide " All damage sources consume Bone Shield Icon Bone Shield stacks, although there is an internal cooldown of 2 seconds for Bone Shield charges being consumed. " I am now curious about how the itigation of attacks is taking place.

The attack triggering Bone Shield is not the issue, rather i'm interested in the following hits. I sincerely hope every hit within the internal cooldown will be reduced as well.

Now the question is in what intensity: Considering skeletal shattering's chance to reduce the dmg taken by 8 more percent is this chance calculated for every hit or dictated by the bone shield triggering one?

I'm sorry should this already been answered, I thank you in advance for helping understand my choosen class better.

Suffer well

Edited by Deyaru

23 hours ago, Deyaru said:

Greetings fellow Death Knights,

I came upon some Questions while improving my knowledge about Blood Shield with the skeletal shattering golden trait.

Since I first believed Bone Shield would be consumed without an internal cd but got corrected by the guide " All damage sources consume Bone Shield Icon Bone Shield stacks, although there is an internal cooldown of 2 seconds for Bone Shield charges being consumed. " I am now curious about how the itigation of attacks is taking place.

The attack triggering Bone Shield is not the issue, rather i'm interested in the following hits. I sincerely hope every hit within the internal cooldown will be reduced as well.

Now the question is in what intensity: Considering skeletal shattering's chance to reduce the dmg taken by 8 more percent is this chance calculated for every hit or dictated by the bone shield triggering one?

I'm sorry should this already been answered, I thank you in advance for helping understand my choosen class better.

Suffer well

So you are trying to nail down if bone shield's stack reduction per hit internal cooldown affects whether bone shield mitigates properly with SS?

Its my assumption that so long as bone shield (of any stack amount) is active, all (non-parried) hits will be mitigated as well as the chance to reduce 8% more.  Whether the hit is the one that triggers a reduction in BS or not.

Honestly if there was no internal cooldown the class would be broken.  Holy Moly. Imagine a trash pull that wipes a 10 stack of bone shield in 4-5 secs...

So, in other words, i don't think there is any reason to suspect the the internal cooldown is linked to mitigation.  

1 hour ago, Sniz said:

Its my assumption that so long as bone shield (of any stack amount) is active, all (non-parried) hits will be mitigated as well as the chance to reduce 8% more.  Whether the hit is the one that triggers a reduction in BS or not.

Honestly if there was no internal cooldown the class would be broken.  Holy Moly. Imagine a trash pull that wipes a 10 stack of bone shield in 4-5 secs...

So, in other words, i don't think there is any reason to suspect the the internal cooldown is linked to mitigation.  

First of all, yes we would be jelly in no time :) - i pretty much didn't think far enough on that point.

So basicaly you would say every hit has a chance to active skeletal but just for itself.

I think the same, still there are people beliving the more mobs are tanked the better gets DK based upon some Bone shield mechanic. I'm just trying to understand if their point is valid or not. 

After giving it some more thought, there are backdropps as well to all possible ways the mechanic could work making my post nothing more than a silly question asking the obvious.

Thank you for the reply!

3 hours ago, Deyaru said:

First of all, yes we would be jelly in no time :) - i pretty much didn't think far enough on that point.

So basicaly you would say every hit has a chance to active skeletal but just for itself.

I think the same, still there are people beliving the more mobs are tanked the better gets DK based upon some Bone shield mechanic. I'm just trying to understand if their point is valid or not. 

After giving it some more thought, there are backdropps as well to all possible ways the mechanic could work making my post nothing more than a silly question asking the obvious.

Thank you for the reply!

Could they be talking about Bone Storm? The talent?

On 11/5/2016 at 5:17 PM, Sniz said:

Could they be talking about Bone Storm? The talent?

Yeah I imagine that's the case, bonestorm is ideal for aoe situations because the more people you hit the more healing you get and bone shield has no hidden mechanic or anything that should make pulling huge groups more desirable, if anything its a worse idea because depending on your adds they'll chew through your shields quickly. 

As far as I know Boneshield has a 1sec ICD. Thus you can not loos Boneshield stacks faster than 1 a second. Each charge only mitigate damage from one sourse (ignoring low damaging auras/ AOEs). And for the critt absorb I beleve they calculate that when damage trigger Boneshiled. So Boneshield is realy terrible when tanking lotts of adds because all those attacks cant be mitigated. For exampel:

You take 3 melee hitts per secound, one will trigger the Boneshield and be mitigetet, the other two will hitt you for full damage.

I might be wrong thou an if some one knows how it actualy works pleas feel free  to correkt me^^

Btw. Bonestorm and VB in AOE is god-mode.

19 hours ago, Oro said:

You take 3 melee hitts per secound, one will trigger the Boneshield and be mitigetet, the other two will hitt you for full damage.

I might be wrong thou an if some one knows how it actualy works pleas feel free  to correkt me^^

If that would be true, boneshield would be terrible.

The ICD of Boneshield just means that Boneshield does not loose stack faster than the ICD.

All damage you receive is reduced by Boneshield as long you have at least one stack left.

Yes @Benhoof you ar probably right. Did som reding at the tool tips and it looks like you ar right. From the tool tip on Skeletal Shattering it seems like the extra DR is calculated per hit.

"Each time Bone Shield absorbs damage, it has a chance equal to your Critical Strike chance to absorb an additional 8% of the damage."

Thus having nothing to do with the damage that removed the stack of Bone Shield.

On 11/7/2016 at 6:39 AM, demonardvark said:

Yeah I imagine that's the case, bonestorm is ideal for aoe situations because the more people you hit the more healing you get and bone shield has no hidden mechanic or anything that should make pulling huge groups more desirable, if anything its a worse idea because depending on your adds they'll chew through your shields quickly. 

I certainly hope so, otherwise, considering how much time ive invested in my blood DK, I'd seriously have to reconsider my life choices.