L0rinda

Community Decks: Bunnyhoppor's Dragon Priest Guide

Sign in to follow this  

13 posts in this topic

qc9CH42.jpg

Bunnyhoppor, who made the semi final stage of both the HCT Last Call and the Winter Championship events, has written a guide for his Priest deck that took him to Rank 7 Legend.

Priest has not had the best of times over the last few months, but just as the meta is about to change, Bunnyhoppor has produced a list and guide that has given Priest fans something to smile about. On top of his own results with the deck, RDU managed Brawl runs of 11 and 10 wins with the same list.

Placeholder for tweet 795354216281866240

Bunnyhoppor's Dragon Priest guide gives out some advice for each matchup and the mulligans associated with that matchup. He also suggests some tech choices you might like to make, depending on the classes you are playing against the most.  If you like playing Priest, and are looking for a deck until the new meta comes out, you might want to give this a go. Warning: Shaman is still a difficult matchup, sadly.

His guide was published on Hearthpwn, and can be viewed on this link.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its good to see the dragon priest still getting attention like this, with priest being on the back foot for so long now.

I started playing with dragon priest and my first crafted legendaries were all in the name of dragon priest. I am gonna give this list a try and see how my success holds.

 

long live priests (quite literally I'd say)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shine said:

its good to see the dragon priest still getting attention like this, with priest being on the back foot for so long now.

It's the only deck and class that, when I encounter them while playing Control Warrior, I just sit back and groan. I hate playing against Priests. The games just take so long if you play a lot of control decks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Blainie said:

The games just take so long if you play a lot of control decks.

Play aggro, the problem will solve itself on its own. (Not always in the right way, but that's another discussion entirely.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Blainie said:

It's the only deck and class that, when I encounter them while playing Control Warrior, I just sit back and groan. I hate playing against Priests. The games just take so long if you play a lot of control decks.

I always feel the same coming up against Control Warrior ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keizoku said:

Play aggro, the problem will solve itself on its own. (Not always in the right way, but that's another discussion entirely.)

Playing aggro though :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PaasHaaS said:

I always feel the same coming up against Control Warrior ...

As long as they don't get some stupid OP start, CW is pretty chilled against all except vs. Priest. Then it's a tense of game of ensuring I don't screw something up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keizoku said:

I know, I know...

I know it's the right thing to do, but it's just so painful :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who never payed dragon priest much attention until now, I must say this deck is severely underrated. It feels like playing dragon warrior(ie being able to out tempo almost any other deck in the game if your draw isn't completely terrible), while also packing enough late game resources to be able to out value control decks if it comes down to it(the brann+netherspite combo is particularly nasty). More importantly, the shaman match up seems to be a breeze, as you have good ways to deal with everything they throw at you(pains and book wyrms for thunder bluff, 2 deaths and entomb for rag and the 7/7, double nova to clear out a board of totems,...) , and many of your minions match up well against their aoe too.

I know it's kind of late in the season already, but I just went from rank 10 to 6, getting my first loss against a freeze mage(which is obviously going to be the single worst match up for every priest deck ever). The deck seems to be easy enough to pilot to legend if you are willing to invest the time, which is a pretty good step up for a priest deck in the current meta.

Something I feel the need to point out, which might be one of the things that is holding back a couple of dragon priest players using this deck(bunnyhoppor himself mentions it in his guide): shadow word:death should be used for tempo. Since you pack so much single target removal, it just becomes pointless to try and save it for bigger threats(unlike what you usually do with other priest lists, which pack only one death/entomb), and doing so only clogs up your hand and leaves you behind on the board eventually. It's much better to use it as early as possible on something like a thing from below and use the tempo it gives you to play minions in the same turn.

Edited by JooBatanete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JooBatanete said:

As someone who never payed dragon priest much attention until now, I must say this deck is severely underrated. It feels like playing dragon warrior(ie being able to out tempo almost any other deck in the game if your draw isn't completely terrible), while also packing enough late game resources to be able to out value control decks if it comes down to it(the brann+netherspite combo is particularly nasty).

The time when I feel the biggest struggle happens is early turns vs. aggro. Warrior can maintain itself so much better in early turns because of weapon removal, Brawl etc., while Priest can be left to just get destroyed by Discard Lock for example.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2016 at 10:32 AM, Blainie said:

The time when I feel the biggest struggle happens is early turns vs. aggro. Warrior can maintain itself so much better in early turns because of weapon removal, Brawl etc., while Priest can be left to just get destroyed by Discard Lock for example.

 

I actually don't feel like this deck is bad at all against aggro in general, and aggro decks have been on a downward trend lately.

 

Tempo mage definitely seems annoying to play against though. They just have efficient removal for everything you throw at them, and they can easily kill you if you let them get the board.

Edited by JooBatanete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JooBatanete said:

I actually don't feel like this deck is bad at all against aggro in general, and aggro decks have been on a downward trend lately.

 

Tempo mage definitely seems annoying to play against though. They just have efficient removal for everything you throw at them, and they can easily kill you if you let them get the board.

The problem is that you need to draw an early clear as Priest because you simply don't have super value minions that Warrior has, such as Ravaging Ghoul. Cleric and Netherspite both suck for trading. Assuming you T1 Cleric, T2 Netherspite, by that time you could be facing a Discard Warlock's 3/2, 4/3 and 3/3 with them ready to play turn 3, or a Shaman's 2/3 3/4 and ready to play another 3/4. 

You need to draw super well with removal since he doesn't run Auch/Circle, so getting early Pains, or just pray for them to not have any removal for your 3/6 taunts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By positiv2
      This thread is for comments about our Spell Damage Mage deck.
    • By Zadina
      The latest Hearthstone community contribution allows you to train the skills needed to master Combo Priest: quick thinking, fast mouse movements, strategic decisions and on-the-spot calculations. What's more to ask?!
      Combo or OTK or APM Priest is a reiteration of Combo and Vivid Nightmare Priest that was born with The Boomsday Project thanks to two cards: Topsy Turvy and Test Subject. Dog is credited as the creator and true master of the deck:
      Many have subsequently tried and failed to pilot the deck, which can require almost 100 moves during the 75 seconds of a single turn. Pro players like Trump and Thijs have hilariously failed, while others like Disguised Toast and Kolento kept trying until they got the hang of it.
      Right now, you might be dreading that you don't have the IQ to play this deck. Fear no more: everything can be practiced and Patashu has made the tool for it! Combo Priest Simulator allows you to practice the OTK combo on your browser, while also timing you. You can change the parameters of the starting gamestate, too.
      In all seriousness, the deck's winrate is below average and it's honestly too much trouble for too little gain. Then again, slamming your opponent's face for 100+ damage is quite satisfactory. It would be awesome if someone was brave enough to bring this deck at a tournament: it would be the casters' nightmare!
      Apart from Combo Priest Simulator, we have a guide for Topsy Turvy OTK Priest here on Icy Veins; the guide breaks down the necessary steps of the combo in a useful priority list. Alternatively, you can listen to Aleco trying to explain how the deck works to Patrick (and actually succeeding) in the latest Icy Veins Podcast!
    • By Aleco
      Pesty's Whizbang the Wonderful guide is here to help you climb the ladder with the wonderful wizard.
       
      Whizbang the Wonderful is one of the wackiest cards in the history of Hearthstone, but its also one of the most beginner-friendly. A one card deck, Whizbang grants players access to all 18 of the Blizzard-made deck recipes. If you're a newer player who crafted Whizbang with high hopes of climbing the competitive ladder, our very own Pesty has just the guide for you. You can read her guide on the 18 Whizbang deck recipes right here. Happy hunting!
    • By positiv2
      This thread is for comments about our Whizbang the Wonderful guide.
    • By positiv2
      This thread is for comments about our Midrange Shudderwock Shaman deck.