FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Shine

The riddle of the sfinx

thank you very much.

I just have alot of experience tho. THis is not the first forum I've made this topic for.

Alright, wrap your mind around this one.

you want to enter a castle, but you can only get through the gate with a password.

You decide to hide near the gate and keep an eye on it in order to retreive the password.

A man with a bag of wheat approaches the gate, a guard yelss, eightteen, to which the man with the wheat sais nine.

the gate opens and the man walks through.

a couple of minutes later a knight with a captive walks up, the guard yells twelve, the knight replies six.

the gate opens and the knight walks through

a few moments later a smith with a variety of weapons walks up, the guard yells six, the smith replies with three.

the gate opens and the smith walks through.

You decide it's your turn, you walk up to the gate, the guard yells four, and you reply, Two.

another guard shoots an arrow and gets you right in the chest. You are shot down and die.

What would you have had to answer instead of two in order to walk through

nice ego, you're up.

And I wish you luck, I have only used existing ones sofar, I only alter them to make it less googlable.

Cheers.

But eighteen has 8 letters. Why'd he let the man with the wheat in? ;)

Wait a minute, were they using Ye Olde English?

Edited by Caveman

But eighteen has 8 letters. Why'd he let the man with the wheat in? wink.png

The wrong way to look at it but still get the same answer, the difference between each question and answer is shrinking by 3. the last question was 3 apart. The question he was asked if that pattern were to continue should be 0 apart.

I am attractive to many, though will push away a few.

Put me near disks and I will make you forget.

I help you find your way out of the woods when you are lost.

What am I?

But eighteen has 8 letters. Why'd he let the man with the wheat in? wink.png

lol, I actually thought it was eightteen, and just for the record, this scenario takes place in the middle ages.

In dutch it is even easier since there are much more numbers that are twice as much as the number of letters they count.

The wrong way to look at it but still get the same answer, the difference between each question and answer is shrinking by 3. the last question was 3 apart. The question he was asked if that pattern were to continue should be 0 apart.

I am attractive to many, though will push away a few.

Put me near disks and I will make you forget.

I help you find your way out of the woods when you are lost.

What am I?

hmmm. I in all of my experience do not recognise this one, since I refuse to google I would say

a magnet?

really, how awsome.

Ok, so another oldtimer

a baby falls out of a twenty story building and surives.

How does he survive it?

For The Record: It is irrelevant what the baby landed on, Luck is also not a factor here.

yes, or ground level. (I think they call ground level first floor in a couple of countries.

so ye, you're up

ye I try to log a couple of times a day. and I happenned to be free today.

well, since victus has not posted in three days, I will take do the honours.

A black cat, walks over a black street, all the buildings around the road are black, none of the streetlights are working, the moon does not provide light either, a black car without headlights approaches and is going straight for the black cat at high speed. Still the driver of the black car turns in time so not to hit that pussy.

How did the driver know to turn for for the cat.

Cheers Shine.

Bit of a mathsy logic one here.

"Freight transport on Azeroth is mostly by ship, with three types of ship called pindles, qualers, and randigs in common use. All three ships have the same design and overall shape, but are of different sizes. The cargo capacity depends on the hold volume, while the number of crew required is proportional to the surface area of the deck. The length of two pindles is the same as the length of a qualer and a randig, and the crew of a qualer is just sufficient to provide crew for two pindles and a randig.

A fully loaded qualer wishes to transfer all its cargo to smaller pindles and randig, while minimising the number of crew required for the resultant fleet.

How many pindles and randigs are needed?

[NB: For objects of any shape, the surface area is proportional to the square of the object’s size, and the volume is proportional to the cube of its size.]"

I have never heard of any qualers, pindles and randigs but I will attemt this all the same.

So if I would say a qualer is 3 meters long (just to keep it simple for calculating)

then a pindle is 2 meters and a randig is 1 meter in length.

this would make the length of two pindles (4 meters) the same as a qualer and a randig (which is 3+1).

The length of two pindles is the same as the length of a qualer and a randig

ok, now lets say the surface is a perfect square (for easy calculating) this would mean that the surface of the qualers should be 3m * 3m = 9m2 .

the surface of a pindle would be 2m * 2m = 4m2 .

the surface of a randig would be 1m * 1m = 1m

now let's say that for every 1 m2  there is 1 crewmember (again for the sake of easy calculating) this would mean that a qualer has a standard crew of 9

a pindle of 4 and a randig of 1

This would make the crewmembers of a qualer fit exactly of 2 pindles and a randig.

and the crew of a qualer is just sufficient to provide crew for two pindles and a randig

now I am going to assume that each ship is a perfect cube.

a qualer can now hold 3m * 3m * 3m = 27m worth of stuff.

a pindle can now hold 2m * 2m * 2m = 8m worth of things.

a randig can now hold 1m * 1m * 1m = 1m worth of shit.

so when a fully loaded qualer should split it's cargo among any number of Pindles and Randigs. it would mean that any of the following settings can be true.

27 randigs = 27 crew

19 randigs and 1 pindle = 19 + 4 = 23 crew

11 randigs and 2 pindles = 11 + 8 = 19 crew

3 randigs and 3 pindles = 3 + 12 = 15 crew

now since the criterium is to keep the crewmembers as low as possible (less mouths to feed) the third option comes forward.

TLDR;

in order to split up a fully loaded qualer among any number of pindles and randigs while keeping the number of people needed to crew the ships as low as possible, you would have to use 3 pindles and 3 randigs which will hold the exact cargo and 15 people.

Edited by Shine

Very good Shine.

Not quiet the argument I would use for it, how do you know the qualer is longer than a randig? It would still get the same solution obviously so no matter but it is an assumption.

L = length
A = L2  = area
V = L3  = volume

Lq + Lr = 2 Lp
Aq = 2 Ap + Ar
(Lq)² = 2 (Lp)² + Lr²
Sub in for Lq
(2 Lp - Lr)² = 2 (Lp)² + Lr²
4Lp² - 4 Lr Lp + Lr² = 2 (Lp)² + Lr²
2Lp² = 4 Lr Lp
Lp = 2 Lr      [Lp>Lr]

Ap = 4 Ar    [square the above]

Vp = 8 Vr  [Lp = 2 Lr cubed]

Sub Lp = 2 Lr    into Lq + Lr = 2 Lp

Lq = 3 Lr = 3/2 Lp
Aq = 9 Ar = 9/4 Ap
Vq = 27 Vr = 27/8 Vp

Options; Vq = 19Vr + Vp = 11Vr + 2Vp = 3Vr + 3Vp

Lr<Lp as Lq>Lp so you want as many pindles as you can to reduce the number of crew.

Hence, three pindles and three randigs would be needed to carry the load of a qualer with the lowest number of crew required.

Edited by Xinto

quite good. I must say I find it easier to simply think of it as simple as possible, therefore I used the lowest numbers which are 1, 2 and 3. I pretty much filled out the formula you provide.

anyhow

a man was claimed that he was born in May although his birthday was in June, and that he grew up and legitimately married his mother..how could it be?

This one is quite famous btw.

quite good. I must say I find it easier to simply think of it as simple as possible, therefore I used the lowest numbers which are 1, 2 and 3. I pretty much filled out the formula you provide.

anyhow

a man was claimed that he was born in May although his birthday was in June, and that he grew up and legitimately married his mother..how could it be?

This one is quite famous btw.

His name was Oedipus? lol