FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Shine

The riddle of the sfinx

yay logic puzzle's this one's always fun

There are 5 houses in 5 different colors 
In each house lives a person with a different nationality 
These 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet 
No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar or drink the same drink. 
Here's the question: Who owns the fish? 
The Brit lives in a red house 
The Swede keeps dogs as pets 
The Dane drinks tea 
The green house is on the left of the white house 
The green house owner drinks coffee 
The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds 
The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill 
The man living in the house right in the middle drinks milk 
The Norwegian lives in the first house 
The man who smokes Blend lives next door to the one who keeps cats. 
The man who keeps horses lives next door to the man who smokes Dunhill 
The owner who smokes Blue Master drinks beer 
The German smokes Prince 
The Norwegian lives next to the blue house 
The man who smokes Blend has a neighbor who drinks water 

Edited by airacaz

the German that lives in the Green house. he smokes prince, drinks coffee and holds fish.

The table should be:

Yellow - norwegian  - water - Dunhill - Cats

Blue - dane - tea - Blend - Horses

Red - brit - milk - Pall Mall - Birds

Green - german - coffee - Prince - Fish

White - swede - beer - Blue Master - Dogs

Hmm... I'd say you turn 1 on and look under the door, if there is light, that is the switch, repeat for 2 and 3.

and here I am thinking I excluded that sorta behaviour (You are not the first one to try these kind of things.)

next time I'll put you cannot see the light from the outside of the room, and/or you can only walk up the stairs once.

Edited by Shine

and here I am thinking I excluded that sorta behaviour (You are not the first one to try these kind of things.)

next time I'll put you cannot see the light from the outside of the room, and/or you can only walk up the stairs once.

Yeah, you can always find loopholes if you're good at finding them. The site updated with you telling him he was right as mine posted on my screen. =P thought about going back and editing my original post about it.

As to the current riddle, I suck at these types of them. So, I'll leave these to the pros. Lol

lolol, I knew this last one from way back. the details changed (for example, the cigar brands were sports in my memory) but the core principle stays the same. took me less than 10 mins ^^

this next one is also one that is quite old.

I first heard it when I was about 6 and I didnt understand any of it.

now I do and here goes.

a hundred leprechauns  are standing next to eachother in a row (side by side)

half of the leprechauns have a white emblem on the back of their shirt, the other half have a black emblem on the back of their shirt.

since they are all standing side by side and are all facing the same way, noone can see any emblem of anyone.

the objective is to make all the leprechauns form a new line a couple of feet (or meters, since I was so hellbent on using metric before) further.

in the new line the white and black emblems should be sorted (all the black ones on the right and the white ones on the left or the other way around.)

the new line of leprechauns is still facing the same way, so they are standing with their backs toward the original line of leprechauns.

heres a couple of rules:

1. only one leprechaun can walk across at the same time
  2. it is forbidden to look back at the original row.
  3. there can be no talking (that would make it a bit easy now wouldnt it.)
  4. noone can look at the back of their own shirt. or the shirts of leprechauns in the same row.

I may have forgotten a few rules but this should be enough to go on.

One last thing to mention is that when a leprechaun walks across everyone can see its emblem from that point on.

I hope I'm not being to vague on this one. I think I made myself pretty clear.

How do you handle this?

Edited by Shine

Ok, total shot in the dark here...

First Leprechaun walks out to the center of the group.

Second leprechaun walks out and seeing the color of his emblem taps his right shoulder. All leprechauns see that his shirt (lets say it was white) went to the right.

The third leprechaun taps the second, according to his color (right for white, left for black) and so on until the 100th leprechaun, who simply counts how many white and black there are, and stands accordingly to what his shirt must be.

this is a very good theory and it works very well.

in a way it is also the answer I had and therefore you're up

I would say, the first leprechaun simply walks stands and waits. the second simply stands next to him (does not matter which side)

when the third one arrives he either sees 2 white, 2 black or 1 white and 1 black emblem. in the first two cases he just stands on either side, in the last case he takes his spot between them.

lets say the third one stands between them, the fourth one will either see 2 white and one black or the other way around. this leprechaun also stands between the white and black ones. if all leprechauns simply take their place on the border of black and white it will end up split.

the tapping on shoulders will however work very much the same way.

so people if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to split a group of leprechauns in two according to emblems on their backs. you now know the way to go.

I would say, the first leprechaun simply walks stands and waits. the second simply stands next to him (does not matter which side)

when the third one arrives he either sees 2 white, 2 black or 1 white and 1 black emblem. in the first two cases he just stands on either side, in the last case he takes his spot between them.

lets say the third one stands between them, the fourth one will either see 2 white and one black or the other way around. this leprechaun also stands between the white and black ones. if all leprechauns simply take their place on the border of black and white it will end up split.

Really loving them brain busters aren't ya? lol. I wish I read these in time to get the chance to think about it.

ye my problem too.

I log once, maybe twice a day and most of the time that means I am too late to give an answer that has not already been given.

:S

Before airplanes were invented, a suspension bridge was being planned to span the gorge near Niagara Falls. The bridge could not be built until the necessary suspension cables spanned the water, but there was no way a boat could carry the cables across the violent water.

The builders therefore staged a contest open to the public that solved their problem. The contest was won by a young boy. Shortly thereafter, the cables spanned the water.

What contest did they stage and how did they use it to solve their problem?

lol, this is actually based on a true story, I'm not sure if it was at niagara falls, but this contest definately did happen.

The builder offered a prize to the first person to successfully fly a kite to the other side. this kite was connected to a small rope that would then be used to pull over bigger and bigger cables untill the first cable hung.

right?

sweet my knowledge is boundless.

There is an anonymous call to the police station, the caller stated that he/she knew the location and first name of a wanted murderer . neither the police nor the caller know what the murderer looks like.

the caller gave the police the adress and said the murderer's name was john.

The police (deciding to act on it) bust down the door of the apartment the murderer should be in, and find a dogtrainer, a lobbyist, a government official, a caretaker for the zoo and the owner of a supermarket chain.

The police immediately arrests the lobbyist, whom they are sure is the murderer.

How did the police know which person to arrest?

Well, considering the variety of people in said apartment, I'd guess that the rest were his victims, meaning, they were all dead already. You don't need to see the murder to hear something odd going on. If any of his victims knew his name simply screaming john would have been enough to alert someone. (likely the government official whom he may have been trying to influence) This would leave enough evidence to go to court because he had been caught in the act.

I'm afraid I must cout this wrong. the people listed are all alive and well, and playing poker.

The poker hint is throwing me...

I will say The lobbyist was the only male in the room, he was playing poker with 4 women.

Hahahah poke-her...

Well, at least I got to think about this one lol.

The lobbyist has a name tag on his chest. It says John.

Thought about this, but that doesn't mean that he was the only john in the room. The original riddle says that they were sure which a name tag would not lead them to.

EgoReaper is right, it was not the nametag. even if John the Lobbyist would wear one, the police wouldn't have needed it to figure out who to arrest.

I will add a hint tomorrow evening if the answer hasent come along by then

I will say The lobbyist was the only male in the room, he was playing poker with 4 women.

Hahahah poke-her...

So my answer is wrong too?

Hahahah poke-her...

lol, that is correct. the poker remark was not actually intended as a hint.

The answer is very much correct though, John was the only male in the room.

and here most people were assuming they were all male ....

So my answer is wrong too?

nope, I just happened to overlook it, I'm sorry. go nuts.

There is a series of seven letters that, in the same order each time, can be used to fill the gaps in the following sentence. What are they?

A ------- doctor had -- ----- and therefore was --- ---- to operate.

a notable docter had no table and therefore was not able to operate

Notable.

No table.

Not able.

a notable docter had no table and therefore was not able to operate

Notable.

No table.

Not able.

You're good... Im gonna have to do some digging to find one to stump you! smile.png