L0rinda

hearthstone Tavern Brawl: The Battle for Gadgetzan

10 posts in this topic

aHd6paz.png

This week's Tavern Brawl is called The Battle for Gadgetzan. It is the seventy ninth Tavern Brawl.

The Brawl is played with one of three classes. Druid, Paladin, or Priest. The class you play is decided randomly at the beginning of the game. Your deck is a prebuilt deck that lasts the duration of the game, you do not have to use your own cards, and it is not possible to play someone of the same class.

At the start of the Brawl, you are announced by your gang name, not your class. During the Brawl, the leader of the factions being represented will pop up and chat from time to time. If you win the game, you will complete quests of any class in the faction you represented.

Overall, I like this Brawl. It gives players a chance to play decent constructed decks with the new cards, and see which factions they like the style of. Although it won't appeal much to serious players, I feel that in general, the Brawls should aim lower than that, and this one does a good job.

I won't spoil the deck lists for the Brawl, but the Priest deck is Dragon Priest, the Paladin deck is full of buffs, and the Druid deck is full of Jade Golems. All three decks require understanding of fundamental Hearthstone principles, and it seems at first look that the better player has a reasonable advantage, no matter which deck they are given.

1 person likes this

I think this is a very well balanced brawl. its good for players of any skill level. Let's say you're fairly new to hearthstone (pay attention @zbroxv ) this is a good way to learn how the general principle of the game works. it introduces to ramping up minions over a longer game it teaches how to utilize buff cards and packs in a staple control deck with a bunch of synergies. (note that I haven't played it yet, just now read this article) these things are all going to matter in almost any deck you'd play so it's a great way to pickup some skills. additionally you don't need any good cards in your collection (which is pretty common for brawls overall) and since you cannot choose your faction in this case you are bound to picking up all these skills.

However

The more experienced hearthstone player will indeed have a clear cut advantage since they will already know all the synergies they're dealing with and know a few obvious things like not playing Northshire Cleric on turn 1, which is almost always a mistake.

no matter where you are in terms of hearthstone skill/knowledge you will always find yourself winning, even if it takes a few games, once you get to know the decks you will always adapt your playstyle automatically and rng will be on your side at some point anyways.

I give this brawls a 5/7, perfect score. Even before playing it.

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, xCiniCx said:

I don't think Dragon Priest is really the best deck to represent the Kabal.

I think they are trying to showcase Priest seeing as it received a significant boost from the set. I played the brawl once and I got to play as Priest and with it I destroyed the paladin that I played against. I'm happy that Dragon Priest is more viable now. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, KingMe said:

I think they are trying to showcase Priest seeing as it received a significant boost from the set. I played the brawl once and I got to play as Priest and with it I destroyed the paladin that I played against. I'm happy that Dragon Priest is more viable now. 

I agree, and I have been playing a Dragon Priest on the Ladder. I just think to show case the different play styles of each gang Dragon Priest was a poor choice.

I think this is a really bad brawl. TBs are supposed to be fun and different from standard play all they did this week is force us to use their "suggested" premade deck. personally i look forward to the TBs each week they help to break up the monotony of ladder play.
It just seems as if the TB design team is getting a little lazy. .... and  after the 3rd game the bosses of each faction chiming in gets real old.

love to see some new crazy brawls. Like any class can use any others class cards or a super brawl with 60 health and 100 cards or have as many of each card in a deck as you would like.

I love how the goons buff deck includes strategy in an aggresive/midrangy deck. I for one realize that if you are too greedy you will lose, but if you are too liberal with your cards you are also likely to lose... 

I also think this is a rather good brawl. Not the best ever, but it has two things going for it:

- No randomness crazy brawl like Randomonium or Yogg-Saron tryout. Playskill actually matters.

- It  gives players with a not complete card collection the chance to experience a (somewhat) competitive version of a deck archetype they would not be able to assemble for casual or ladder play.

The 5/7 rating from Shine is about accurate.

Edited by Kobal

It's nice to have a  brawl that's not completely random for a change.

I've played only 3 games so far, 1 as priest against paladin and 2 as paladin against priest. (are you sure druid exists?). And while I won all 3 games, I can't help but feel as if priest really shouldn't be losing the paladin matchup.

On 12/15/2016 at 10:35 AM, Kobal said:

- It  gives players with a not complete card collection the chance to experience a (somewhat) competitive version of a deck archetype they would not be able to assemble for casual or ladder play.

This is the biggest + IMO. I don't care much for the brawl, but it must be nice for some F2P players to try out a slightly more expensive Dragon Priest.