FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
weaverk

Mistweaver Help - low heals and oomage

Hi all, 

here is the thing, my MW (Sitaki) and i are in a bad place - i have tried a lot of strategies, gearing etc but i do not really feel i 'get it' - i am oom quickly in fights (both my trinks are chosen for mana regen), and in general i do not feel good about my heals in raids (M+ is not my focus)

Approach/rotation - to use vivify as my main spell, essence font either just before a movement phase when i cant heal, or when large number of the raid is missing health, enveloping mists on low tanks, followed by either artifact or vivify spam to get them up. i do have a bad habit to ignore artifact because of slow cast time, so i do hit 12 stacks quite often (and therefore waste some charges i know). i try to have a renewing mist running, but i could probably do better. i dont try fistweaving. i have noticed in fights where i can ignore tanks more, my heals and mana usage are generally better

Legendaries - i have belt, legs, shoulders and tank chest i use belt and legs atm (because legs are supposed to be very strong and i need to use legs or shoulder slot for 4piece tier

Consumables - crit food, int flask, prolonged power for pre-pot and channeled mana pot in fight

Gearing -generally my plan is the 2 mana trinks,  use 2 legendaries and try to maintain 4-piece, switching  the others in desperation when i get depressed with my healing (i have a bagful of gear, and can change to re-align  stats if needed).

Armory http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/sitaki/advanced

Logs - these are my latest, there are a lot more uploaded on warcraftlogs (my rotations on mythic wipes were done knowing we would wipe before i could oom! hc ones after should be good tho) https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/ZFXHWRAkY3fcvKhN/

TLDR: my MW makes me sad, help me love it again please, any further info needed please feel to ask ^^

Cheers, 

Sitaki

---- Update

just noticed i am wearing cloak with no ench/gem, its new - i would probably put int ench and a crit gem 

Edited by weaverk

good day.  I feel there are only a few things but each one may be a big help with change.  The biggest thing I saw is renewing mist was very low on your healing, including the uptime.  I try very hard to use thunder focus tea with renewing mist especially since you are wearing the legs.  It is your hot but it also increases your vivify by 40% on proc, which is your main spell by far.  Your second spell is essence font.  most MW's cast this spell repeatedly without using the buff it gives.  after a single essence font try directly healing those affected so that your mastery can proc twice.  Now there is your talent choice of mist wrap.  It is not a bad choice but you aren't using enveloping mist enough to make it worth taking and soothing mist is very little healing even with the movement.  The talent life cycles may be much more beneficial due to the sheer mana cost reduction while also "forcing" you to use enveloping mist more which will make your legendary waist more worth having on. ((also, try using effuse rather than vivify on pure single target healing.  You don't use this spell ever.))

So all in all you will have more hots up for longer that gives vivify a much larger healing potential coupled with the healing bonus from enveloping mist and how that bonus spreads due to your waist all while saving mana.  This is all included in the before, during and after of essence font and the buff it gives.

say during the fight you use renewing mist, then renewing mist comes off cd, you use thunder focus tea and your legendary procs, you use all those charges that gives 4 renewing mists all ticking and giving off its buffs like crazy.  The tank has the hot, he gets hit hard, you cast enveloping mists, the raid is all damaged, you use essence font and then vivify the tank.

buff to vivify from renewing mist = 40%, buff from enveloping mist = 30%, essence font allows for a second trigger of mastery.  according to the numbers from your logs vivify's average hit is 240k, and gust is 190k.  240 * .7 = 168. so vivify would then heal for 428k and gust is literally 70% and then doubled. so 323k x 2 = 636k.  quite literally doubling your healing on that cast.

now obviously its not going to happen all that often but portions of this will occur much more often than you think if uptime and proper proc and spell usage is done.  I hope this all made sense and that it helped at least a little.

Edited by Hindrigan

I had the same issue and after discussing things with a few end content raiders basically you want to try not to use Essence Font without using your mana tea as it can chunk your mana.

Also try only use vivify with the proc as with mastery enveloping gives big heals and they hot, keep renewing mist up at all times which will give you procs.

Timing of your crane and revival also contribute largely to heal output. If fights are long (gul'dan for example) you can crane 2-3 times if you time it correctly.

Hi @Hindrigan

many thanks for the detailed post first of all, i will stick my nose into some NH this weekend and see how this works

I've noticed renewing mists being low in my heals indeed, i put this down to spending my Thunder focus tea on free vivify's (mana!), but i do see the wisdom in having less vivify's, but having more of them buffed - so will try this

i took mistwrap because as you said i don't currently use enveloping mists enough to make it worth it, and the 10% extra heal and the increased healing buff on low tanks seemed enticing - i misunderstood the waist, and thought the overheal spread to other players, it being the healing bonus  spread indeed makes more EM interesting!

i also thought that the Essence Font double gust meant it procced twice from itself, not from any heal you cast while the buff is there - again, a small but very important distinction, thank you !

as for not using effuse, it's rare I've seen it in other monk logs I've checked, and i have seen several replies on forums saying in effect 'pfft, effuse in raid, noob' - as well as it seeming to being my lowest hps per mana spell, but i will weave it into my flow and see how it goes.

a couple of further questions if you could be so kind :)

- with essence font up, does gusts proc twice on only the initial target of vivify, or also on the targets next to them who get less healing from this spell?

-  i wonder if double gusts on targets with EF means that a more mastery heavy build starts to become optimal - for example using EF then casting effuse on all the affected targets to trigger double gusts?

- how do you manage your stats? do you have a certain crit % you aim to maintain then focus on vers > mastery?

- how do you feel about mana/hps on the MW in general? just curious if mana issues are always there, or if it's more just a L2P issue on my side, for example, i have a pala about 10ilvl behind my monk, no useful legendaries, but at times it can match the healing i do here without any stressing about oomage (part of the reason my monk made me sad ^^)

many thanks again for your time!

Cheers, 

Sitaki

Edited by weaverk

So once you are finished channeling essence font there are a bunch of small hots on people.  if you directly heal those people your mastery will proc an additional time instantly on the first cast on each main target as long as the hot is on them.  With some haste you can get 3-4 casts off equaling about a million extra healing with some lucky crits with high mastery as you currently do.

personally I actually avoid haste.  I do crit, vers, mastery,  honestly if I could i'd have crit and versatility on every piece of gear.  My monk is 857 ilvl.  by putting all my secondary stats into crit and vers I was able to get 30% crit and 24% vers (or however you wanted to allocate the numbers).  In 890 gear you can be much higher.  mastery is nice but versatility works on all of your spells, renewing mist, revival, the off healing vivify does, crane, chi burst.  and the main target healing that mastery normally does is offset by the shear gain from versatility a bit.  kind of leveling out the potency of our spells rather than most of our eggs in just a few baskets.

I took your secondary stats from your linked armory, if you add your haste to your crit you get an additional 12% crit giving you 36.6% crit.  And your mastery into your versatility giving you an additional 14.2% versatility totaling 24% healing.  if you took both into versatility you'd have 34% versatility.  that's 24.61% crit and 34% straight healing increase. (again all personal decision) but versatility is a blanket increase rather than mastery only being a byproduct of a few spells.

One reason why I do what I do is what I just stated on how EF works with other spells.  Also, my priority level on crit and versatility buffing all my healing rather than just a portion.  Another is mistweavers are friggin mana fiends (much more than any other class).  Everything we have is expensive as hell so I go for more bang per cast (and many of our spells hit multiple targets) rather than more casts which is what haste generally helps with.  Aka: haste = mana dump in my opinion.  No healer is a one man show, rely on your other healers to fill in your gaps/short comings.  All healers have them.

Our spell costs suck but our hps can sky rocket like no other.  I've been running "mana tea" 100 talent recently for this reason on some fights.  monks just cannot cast any spell the entire fight.  Our spells are  just too costly.  Instead we have to play more methodically.  What's the strategy? what's currently happening? What's about to happen and to whom?  The more you know the fight/what spells do and how you counter them as well as your teammates tendencies the better choices you are going to make and what spells to use.  As a healer you have to play reactionary to some degree.  However, if you and your healing team cannot "take control" of the fight your decision making is going to suffer and thus lose a ton of mana very quickly as well as drop in hps.  This is because not only you but the rest of your healing team are hitting the bigger spells and possibly the oh shit buttons.  This in many cases makes your healing team "fight" each other, overlapping spells on the same or just incorrect target, over healing like crazy, wasting cd's.

I really don't think monk will top the healing charts due to shear  spell costs.  But coordination with your raid and proper spell usage by a single MW can make a very hard damage phase seem normal.  (crane, chi burst, revival, mana tea/EF/vivify(or just EF spam)). *end with a story:  back when I actually raided hardcore on my monk we actually set up phases where there was a "monk  phase".  I literally took over the damage phase aside from something like disc priest barrier.  The other healers healed normally saving all their cd's and I went ballistic.  going from sitting in the back seat  doing literally 1/2 the healing as the rest of the healers to 1st on healing for a short period of time then back to sitting in the back seat.  Eb and flow.   All within a 12-16 second window for only 1 healers worth of spells. (eg: throne of thunder. Megera and ji'kun and most of the fights in heart of fear). the end.

Edited by Hindrigan