FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vlad

Overwatch Orisa

This guide is our first to use the new format and style that we will be moving all the old guides to in the future. Feel free to leave any feedback here!

New format looks great. Clearer, easier to read, and the counters/synergies section is really useful.

Did notice though that while Orisa is displayed under Tank Heroes from the toolbar, the breadcrumb path lists her under Support (Homepage > Overwatch > Support Heroes > Orisa)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Croixce said:

New format looks great. Clearer, easier to read, and the counters/synergies section is really useful.

Did notice though that while Orisa is displayed under Tank Heroes from the toolbar, the breadcrumb path lists her under Support (Homepage > Overwatch > Support Heroes > Orisa)

Really glad to hear it! 

There are a few smaller formatting issues that I'm going to resolve in the near future (including the path issue!), so thanks for pointing it out :p

So i freely admit I haven't checked the competitive rankings or statistics however, I have a few question/things to point out with orisa.

As far as synergies go, does she not have amazing synergy with both bastion and Torbjorn? In competitive mode myself and with other players Orisa is used as a hard point defender. So on secure objective you park her in a corner, shoot the protective barrier in front of her, and she's basically untouchable, sit a torb or a bastion in there with her and it takes full enemy team pressure to take that down. Especially with strategic use of halt. In addition the cooldown on protective barrier is relatively short so in many times under low to mild assault you simple reset it on the ground and it returns to its full defensive capability unlike reinhardt who has more of a recharge time once his shield breaks.  

The same synergy works very well for defend the payload type maps too. This is further increased with her ult, slam that badboy down behind a fresh wall barrier and now orisa herself becomes a huge disruption threat let alone if she has any help with her.

So i think turtling with Orisa makes her an incredible threat and if you use cooldowns properly she's a pretty sturdy tank. Fortify can help you survive many characters ults (im looking at you hanzo, F you and your stupid dragon). The only place where Orisa sort of struggles in attack payload missions, she can do fine there but not too well. There are also a couple maps where she cannot turtle properly.

Now I freely admit to never having completed a season higher than master (got grand once and deterioriated >_< ). So at grandmaster above more elite players may just nuke her on sight. However, I think her turtle strategy gives her a bit more value. You just have to really be smart with your abilities and embrace corners, corners are your friend. 

@demonardvark

She does synergise well with those.

Though, neither of those are meta. I've seen the strat work a couple of times on Numbani defense, where setting up on the highground causes problems for incoherent teams. That said, dive comps should honestly get it down quite easily with just a smidge of teamwork.

Edited by Weltenfeind

35 minutes ago, Weltenfeind said:

Though, neither of those are meta. 

The line that i figured would be my downfall. Felt it would be worth a shot to mention them but if not in the competitive meta I understand the omission. 

1 hour ago, demonardvark said:

The line that i figured would be my downfall. Felt it would be worth a shot to mention them but if not in the competitive meta I understand the omission. 

Well, I figure it's an oversight, especially considering the meta rarely actually translates into competitive play, and it is a guide. As I mentioned, they do synergise. :p

Edited by Weltenfeind
Awful at spelling

1 hour ago, Weltenfeind said:

Well, I figure it's an oversight, especially considering the meta rarely actually translates into competitive play, and it is a guide. As I mentioned, they do synergise. :p

awww i can't quote your edit note, i suffer from awful spelling many times as well and poor grammar choices (which with english as 2nd language i don't care about as much but the internet sure does XD )

3 minutes ago, demonardvark said:

awww i can't quote your edit note, i suffer from awful spelling many times as well and poor grammar choices (which with english as 2nd language i don't care about as much but the internet sure does XD )

The sad part is that I'm probably better at English than my native language. I tend to just write stuff that comes to mind and send the reply, afterwards I see all the mistakes so I end up having to do loads of edits instead. :p

Edited by Weltenfeind

1 minute ago, Weltenfeind said:

The sad part is that I'm probably better at English than my native language. I tend to just write stuff that comes to mind and send the reply, afterwards I see all the mistakes so I end up having to do loads of edits instead. :p

+have+younger+brother+with+special+needs

• Like 1

Guest ActuallyPig

Orisa can deal a huge amount of damage against large and stationary targets due to her massive ammo clip

Small thing. She doesn't use a clip. A better term would be "ammo capacity", because she really doesn't use a magazine either.

30 minutes ago, Guest ActuallyPig said:

Small thing. She doesn't use a clip. A better term would be "ammo capacity", because she really doesn't use a magazine either.

I'll try fix the wording to something more appropriate. Thanks for letting me know! :)

• Like 1

On 8/17/2017 at 4:55 AM, Blainie said:

I'll try fix the wording to something more appropriate. Thanks for letting me know! :)

Someone else mentioned it before, but I think it’s extremely weird you didn’t mention Orissa/Torb cheese comp.  It’s all over 2cp/hybrid 1st points esp Horizon + Hollywood.  It says you’re a GM tank player, so plz dont think I’m trying to doubt you or your experiences, but Orissa/Rein combo ?  I’ve never heard of or seen that.  It just seems really strange you’d mention Tracer/Rein/MCree and not mention Torbjörn. 

Granted Orissa isn’t meta at all as someone else commented, but when you will run into her in matchmaking you expect to see her in a niche set up like horizon pt1 cheese, + maybe Ilios well for halt env kills.  

I think it would be useful as well to note barriers effect on Ana heals in particular.  If not in the Orissa guide bc her barrier is very rarely used offensively like you can use Winston’s to kill heals on your target, then perhaps in your upcoming Ana guide.  It’s her greatest deficiency in the meta currently.

On 11/19/2017 at 9:25 AM, Redkewlaid said:

Someone else mentioned it before, but I think it’s extremely weird you didn’t mention Orissa/Torb cheese comp.  It’s all over 2cp/hybrid 1st points esp Horizon + Hollywood. 

So, let me explain this in some proper detail, since I think it's a fair point. 

This combination is incredibly effective at dealing with uncoordinated teams. It's nearly impossible to break it if people don't do their job, don't communicate and don't focus. You'll normally see Orisa, Torb and Symmetra together, with a Mercy ready to pick up anyone that gets taken out too early. 

From a defensive point of view, you're looking at running an incredibly stationary comp with some very "non-meta" heroes that come together to make a very capable team, assuming all goes well for you. With the constant refreshing of the shield from Orisa, your Torb turret is constantly up. You will win any poke war, since it will just feed your Orisa's ult, which in turn feeds Symmetra and Torb for Shield Gen + Molten Core. As soon as Torb has that Molten Core, it's a fairly easy to hold point. Here come the issues, however.

You are hard countered by meta heroes. You might think, why does this matter? Sombra. As soon as Sombra appears, you lose your advantage completely. She charges her ultimate far faster than any hero on your team and as soon as EMP is up, you will lose the fight. From an attacking PoV, you will pick Winston, D.Va, Sombra, a hard carry DPS like Soldier, McCree, Pharah etc., even Hanzo tbh. Run with Zen and Mercy, the fight is essentially over already. As soon as EMP goes out, Torb's Molten Core is useless and he will die in seconds because of Discord. Orisa has no shield to hide behind, same story with Discord. Mercy can't ress or get away from Sombra/Winston. Orbs from Symm? D.Va eats them. She can block the turret too. Winston can shield dance, no problem, and keep the turret on him. You can dash in and out of the shield and, because of how targeting works in a fight for the turret, it will focus Winston and barely do any damage, because it will constantly be changing target (it will flip between a DPS and Winston, as him leaving the shield closer to the turret will force a switch). Symm turrets will be gone because of Winston. On top of all of this, the shield generator that Symm put down is now useless because of EMP.

On top of all of this, once EMP goes out, you're fighting a very tough battle. Orisa without her abilities is a very slow moving, huge target that feeds ultimates and dies very quickly. Torb, same thing. Big hitbox, easy to kill when there's a Zen on the enemy team. You can run a McCree to try counter it, but he can't move out of the choke to get close enough to Sombra to stop the EMP, since she can translocate above you and EMP down.

Of course, this requires co-ordination, but it's not any kind of Orisa/Widow straight drop shot co-ordination. It's simply calling out Sombra ultimate and then focusing targets. This is definitely not beyond most teams in Overwatch, at any rank. The comp that focuses on running Orisa/Torb is exceptionally easy to roll over once the crux of that, Turret + Shield, is gone.

On 11/19/2017 at 9:25 AM, Redkewlaid said:

It says you’re a GM tank player, so plz dont think I’m trying to doubt you or your experiences, but Orissa/Rein combo ?  I’ve never heard of or seen that.  It just seems really strange you’d mention Tracer/Rein/MCree and not mention Torbjörn.

Orisa + Rein is used as a counter to Rein + anything. Rein vs. Rein stalemate on any map is immediately stopped by Orisa. You have the advantage in every way (you charge ult faster, you hit more people because of Orisa lift combo, you never have to move from the choke and you can charge your Soldier's ultimate faster). She does what Zarya used to do before Orisa was introduced to the game.