FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Aleco

Unidentified Maul Reveal: Kobolds & Catacombs

MNb6YrB.jpg

The second of three Unidentified Magic Items to be revealed from Kobolds and Catacombs, will Unidentified Maul be a smashing success on the ladder?

Kripparrian revealed the second of three Unidentified Magic Items in Kobolds and Catacombs today on his Twitter accounter, Unidentifed Maul:

unidenmaul.jpg

A Paladin Weapon, Unidentified Maul begins each game with an unknown effect and will become "identified" upon drawing the card from your deck. The weapon will always be a 3 mana 2/2, but will be randomly bestowed with one of the four following effects when drawn:

sacredmaul.jpgpurifiersmaul.jpgchampions.jpgblessedmaul.jpg

A couple of the potential modes on this card are very enticing. Two Silver Hand Recruits and a 2/2 weapon for 3 mana is a screaming deal, and the other three modes offer some serious value if you're already ahead on board. Given that three of the four potential modes on Unidentified Maul aren't very good when you're behind, I doubt this card will slot in as an instant replacement for Rallying Blade. Unidentified Maul could end up seeing play in token-based strategies, as granting +1 Attack or Divine Shield to a wide board of minions drawn from Small-Time Recruits is nothing to shake a hammer at.

Will the random nature of Unidentified Maul be its downfall, or will its synergies with token strategies enable it to see some play on the ladder? Let us know what you think in the comments, and be sure to check out our Kobolds and Catacombs hub for more information on the upcoming set.

It worries me that the RNG will be deciding games if an aggro/midrange paladin deck emerges. The divine shield is particularly scary. 

I like playing paladin, but this card seems straight up unhealthy, I'm surprised Kripp didn't say that himself in his video.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kuster said:

I'm surprised Kripp didn't say that himself in his video.

He might lose his blizz support by saying something bad about cards before enough ppl have bought them :D

Edited by Caldyrvan
  • Like 1

Rallying Blade will leave standard in April, then it might see some play. A combination of both would be great if you have the Divine Shield version, but that's too many "ifs".

Edited by Caldyrvan