FORUMS
Stan

Fenix Hero Spotlight

mB2LDgT.jpg

The highly-anticipated Hero spotlight has arrived with a first look at Fenix's lore and abilities. 

FenixSteward of the Templar (Ranged Assassin)

UPDATE: Fenix has been added to Heroes on Battle.net.

Starcraft's 20th anniversary will be celebrated in the Nexus with:

Strengths

• Self-sustain
  • Adaptable basic attacker
  • Poke/trading

Weaknesses

• Burst damage
  • Crowd control

Kit

Trait

• Shield Capacitor
    • Passively grants Fenix permanent shields on top of his Health. Damage taken by Fenix is applied to the shields first. If Fenix has not taken damage for a few seconds, his shields begin to regenerate.

Primary Abilities

[Q] Plasma Cutter

• A laser beam circles around him starting at your mouse cursor. Enemies hit by the laser are damaged and slowed. Fenix can move while the laser is spinning to aim it.

[W] Repeater Cannon / Phase Bomb

• Fenix has two auto attack modes. Swapping between the two modes at the right time is key to playing Fenix effectively. 
    • Repeater Cannon
      • Increases his attack speed.
    • Phase Bomb
      • Increases range and adds area damage to his auto attacks.

[E] Warp

• After a short channel, Fenix teleports to a nearby target location. Enemies can't see where his warp will place him. 
    • A powerful mobile tool allowing him to fake out the enemy team .

Heroic Abilities

[R1] Purification Salvo

• When activated, Fenix emits a scanner sweep in a wide arc in front of him locking onto all enemy Heroes the scanner hits. After a brief pause, Fenix launches a barrage of 5 missiles to each of the locked targets dealing bonus damage to all targets who were slowed.

[R2] Planet Cracker

• Fenix locks himself in place and fires a huge powerful laser beam with unlimited range in the target direction, damaging all non-Structure enemies caught in its path. You can't move or change directions while the beam is active, but you can cancel it early in case of emergency.
  • A more immediate method of dealing massive damage.

Hero Spotlight

• Like 1

First Heroic will probably be my go to choice most of the time, seems the most reliable out of the 2 (don't know cds and other stuff yet), Second can shine in maps that are small with many confined spaces or with good allied cc. Btw @Stan or any other. how can you embed the video player like that? I search through the options and can't find anything, it just shows the link every time...:/

Unless you have a lot of CC the second heroic won't be valuable. If you were able to at a minimum sweep with it, then maybe. But anyone above silver knows to dodge dragon strike from Hanzo (making it worthless), they'll know to dodge this too.

I'm curious to see how the talents and everything else shake out, but the change of firing modes seems really powerful. The laser is really similar to zuljin W, which has good value from the slow. Some mobility is better than no mobility, but the range will be critical. If it's about the distance of falstad barrel roll, it should shake out just fine.

He looks a lot more interesting than i thought a dragoon wound:) hopefully we get this on ptr soon so we can try this protoss hero out.  I agree that the 1st heroic seems like the way to go unless they go bunker on the second heroic and give it a 40 second CD. Maybe not even then haha

He seems like he’s going to be super fun! Likely not as powerful as Maiev is (atm, not on release) and he lacks utility, but he seems like he could be core tier, at least. Looking forward to him.

1 hour ago, SleepySheepy said:

Does this mean that HP/shield UI is getting rework? Or is his shield "special"?

Judging by the info given, I'd say his shield is special. It feels more like what you see from a protoss unit in Starcraft.

1 hour ago, SleepySheepy said:

And why does it state that it first damages shields, isn't that already given?

I think it's just to emphasise how the trait works. But what they actually should have made clear is that if he could also gain temporary shield from other sources and if the temporary shield will get consumed before his own shiled. I assume it's the case otherwise this trait would be useless.

1 hour ago, Laragon said:

Unless you have a lot of CC the second heroic won't be valuable. If you were able to at a minimum sweep with it, then maybe. But anyone above silver knows to dodge dragon strike from Hanzo (making it worthless), they'll know to dodge this too.

I always wrote off Dragon Strike too, and while it's not the go to talent for Hanzo by any means, I've seen Hanzo actually get some use out of it with the right support (Warden's Cage makes it hard to dodge for example).  Another example of this type of effect would be Hammer's Blunt Force Gun which, while again isn't the default Heroic, isn't useless.  We'll have to see how he plays (I also need to wait a few hours before I can watch the spotlight =( ).

Edited by TSRD

29 minutes ago, VinsX said:

Judging by the info given, I'd say his shield is special. It feels more like what you see from a protoss unit in Starcraft.

I think it's just to emphasise how the trait works. But what they actually should have made clear is that if he could also gain temporary shield from other sources and if the temporary shield will get consumed before his own shiled. I assume it's the case otherwise this trait would be useless.

I'm guessing that's why made special UI and stated that it goes first from there, to show that his shield goes before HP/other shields.

PS: That might indicate future of Artanis rework, maybe.

Edited by SleepySheepy

1 hour ago, TSRD said:

I always wrote off Dragon Strike too, and while it's not the go to talent for Hanzo by any means, I've seen Hanzo actually get some use out of it with the right support (Warden's Cage makes it hard to dodge for example).  Another example of this type of effect would be Hammer's Blunt Force Gun which, while again isn't the default Heroic, isn't useless.  We'll have to see how he plays (I also need to wait a few hours before I can watch the spotlight =( ).

Biggest difference is both the heroes can move around and those ults still get their full value. The locking yourself down with no benefit (like not being able to aim it) is a major draw back at most levels of play. There is always chances that it will be good (like the perfect mosh) but picking an ultimate that relies on perfect team synergy to get really any value feels really bad.

I was thinking this exact thing too. I'm like, 'Added to Heroes on Battle.net' o_O? WTF does that mean?

Do they mean he's been added to the PTR on HOTS cause I would assume he'd be added next Monday not today. Unless they're gonna rush him to Live servers next Tuesday. Giving him only 4 days of PTR time rather then the usual 7 days. Cause if so that's a really odd way of saying that then. Why wouldn't they just say 'Heroes PTR is up with Fenix added'. Since PTR is only ever accessible when they add a new hero to it for testing the week or two before they bring them over to the Live servers.

Otherwise the only thing I can think of this is referring to is the HOTS website were you can look over all the heroes that are playable in the game and see their abilities. But as far as I know the actual Blizzard Battle.net app doesn't have a section like that.

*Loads up B.net to see what they are talking about*

So yeah as far as I can tell this is just stating that the Hero Spotlight video is highlighted on the HOTS B.net launcher and that he has been added to the HOTS website when you look to see all the heroes in the game.

So yeah... the two things they always do when they release a new hero spotlight video have been done... we definitely needed a 'Update' in this article to tell us something that they always do and confuse us all into thinking they might have added Fenix to PTR or Live servers already. ...good job there Stan. *rolls eyes*

• Thanks 1

About his second heroic... you are all forgetting it has UNLIMITED range which means you can use it even from your core and help your allies on the other side of the map. And it seams it deals A LOT of dmg. 1 mosh and you can have pure value not being in team fight yourself.

Edited by Godeyes

41 minutes ago, Laragon said:

Biggest difference is both the heroes can move around and those ults still get their full value. The locking yourself down with no benefit (like not being able to aim it) is a major draw back at most levels of play. There is always chances that it will be good (like the perfect mosh) but picking an ultimate that relies on perfect team synergy to get really any value feels really bad.

I think it's a bit early to write it off that quickly.  There doesn't seem to be much delay on the ability and no travel time.  Seems unlikely you'd get no value from it at all and if the enemy gets out of the beam just cancel it.  Sure you won't get the full damage unless the enemy is Moshed/stunned/rooted but some value doesn't seem that hard to get.

I'm sure his first Heroic will be the default pick but, especially when no one has even tried it yet, I can't get behind calling the other useless just yet.

5 hours ago, TSRD said:

I think it's a bit early to write it off that quickly.  There doesn't seem to be much delay on the ability and no travel time.  Seems unlikely you'd get no value from it at all and if the enemy gets out of the beam just cancel it.  Sure you won't get the full damage unless the enemy is Moshed/stunned/rooted but some value doesn't seem that hard to get.

I'm sure his first Heroic will be the default pick but, especially when no one has even tried it yet, I can't get behind calling the other useless just yet.

Dragon's ArrowDragon's Arrow and Planet Cracker. Few kills across the map. Lol 
The Ultimate is pretty much a better DragonstrikeDragonstrike
And if there is a low hp hero priority target it might just win the match to "waste" it by sniping them. For example taking out the main Immortal dmg on the enemy team on BoE. 
As you say its not useless at all.

Its a little bit sad that though that both heroic are asking for crowd control. Altough Purification Salvos bonus dmg can be procked by yourself, which is nice. 

I cant wait to test a Warp build. He has talents that resets the cd of Warp and give attack speed after warping.

Unless you have a lot of CC the second heroic won't be valuable.

It deals 105 dmg every 0.25 seconds. Which means enemy heroes have to stand it for only 1 second to recieve 420 dmg, which is achievable whitout any crowd-control. 
And if you land a mosh thats 1680 dmg in 4 second to multiple targets. 
The first heroic deals 430 dmg per target with out slow and 645 dmg on slowed targets. 

Edited by xevex

I'm assuming it doesn't work on a Boss or Mercs? The second looks like a good pick to me. Less for in combat unless finishing kills or with CC, but the out of combat zone uses are pretty high. Maybe it's from all the Tyrande playing but that much damage in such a short time would be very useful and frankly, piss off the other team. The range means you get cooldown time after use while traveling to combat. The first ult would sit unused more often. How often would you hold off using it because you don't have multiple targets together? There is also the control factor. You could potentially shield an ally from melee attacks for a few moments from across map. There are also plenty of pathways that Li Ming uses her laser on to get kills that could work much better with a stronger beam. Cursed Hollow in particular comes to mind. Definitely a good counter to capping the curses. Could use it to clear minions across map similar to Ragnaros' ultimate too. It does affect minions right?

BTW I'm sick of seeing most of new heroes are getting something like teleports,long dashes,jumps,protects as common ability.. soon nobody will pick classic heroes..mobilty is killing this game,this used to be MOBA not Forrest gumps running around  or overwatch in different sight.. 

5 hours ago, Morcalivan said:

I'm assuming it doesn't work on a Boss or Mercs? The second looks like a good pick to me. Less for in combat unless finishing kills or with CC, but the out of combat zone uses are pretty high. Maybe it's from all the Tyrande playing but that much damage in such a short time would be very useful and frankly, piss off the other team. The range means you get cooldown time after use while traveling to combat. The first ult would sit unused more often. How often would you hold off using it because you don't have multiple targets together? There is also the control factor. You could potentially shield an ally from melee attacks for a few moments from across map. There are also plenty of pathways that Li Ming uses her laser on to get kills that could work much better with a stronger beam. Cursed Hollow in particular comes to mind. Definitely a good counter to capping the curses. Could use it to clear minions across map similar to Ragnaros' ultimate too. It does affect minions right?

I think it does since it dieals dmg to non-Structure enemies hit. Which pretty much means, everything that isnt a structure.

BTW I'm sick of seeing most of new heroes are getting something like teleports,long dashes,jumps,protects as common ability.. soon nobody will pick classic heroes..mobilty is killing this game,this used to be MOBA not Forrest gumps running around  or overwatch in different sight.. 

It takes 0.5s to warp and it can be interrupted. Its not Genjis Swift StrikeSwift Strike.

Edited by xevex

Well, Planet Cracker will be my ult of choice because of the raw utility of it. Imagine all the creative uses of Tyrande's SentinelSentinel or Ana's Eye of HorusEye of Horus, times forty. You can use it to defend a pushed lane, damage/destroy the Immortal, kill Skeletal Warriors or defend against the objectives on Tomb of the Spider Queen, Battlefield of Eternity and Haunted Mines from all across the map.

Even if the devs nerf it later to only damage Heroes (what I think is quite likely) you could still use it to zone out the enemy team from shrines or other objectives for 4 secs. Not to mention you create something of a map wide Force WallForce Wall that enemy heroes can't cross without teleport ability.

Of course, the immobile part is tough. But you should think of this ult as more like an long range artillery piece, something it would not be very smart to use too close to your target on regular circumstances.

Edited by lChronosl
More to say.