FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Icepick

Leveling guide for toons like for professions

With all the searching i've done on different topics I've still never found a "Leveling" guild for a toon.

You can find lots of guilds for what to do once your at Max. level but no one writes on how to get there. I've deleted 2 hunters 1 warrior and a druid due to frustration.

It would be nice to find somewhere to get advice while leveling.

i.e.   when you get to level 10 make sure you use  this ability as much as poss. and use that one right after it because it.....      

once you get to level 15 you get a new ability called ...... used this in place of   X  because its better for .....    

at level  20   your basic rotation should be      x....y.....z   and you,ll get your best  dps that way....

They have leveling guides for Professions that tell you level by level.  It would be nice to find one for the basic Spec. for leveling.

wouldn't you agree ?

Just a suggestion , in case some gifted individual is listening.

It's something we've talked about. Most of the problem is that leveling a character is far more open ended than leveling a profession, or writing strategies for a dungeon or raid. We could easily go too far in depth into all the options of how you could level from X to Y. At any given level there are 3 places you could be questing, 3-4 dungeons you could queue for, You could pvp level, gathering and fishing give exp now, pet battle leveling is sometimes amazing, 85-90 on the timeless isle is practically an exploit it's so good. It's a very overwhelming topic to even find a place to start writing, even as a veteran player with 8 90's.

But it is something we know we need to start working on. I think a few of us just need to take one for the team and level an alt or two while writing a journal of what works for us along the way.

You can go to the Timeless Isle at 85?  Um, where do I sign up.  LoL

Have a friend with a dual flyer, or have someone give you water walking and just run over there on your own.

Once you're there you farm the 78k hp silk worms that spawn in packs around the undead panda village. There are 5 spawn points, each one with about 8 silk worms. Each pull will give you about 1 bar of exp. It's been known for a while and I don't understand how they haven't nerfed it yet.

It's farmed to death on populated servers, but if you can have the spots to yourself for a while it takes 3-4 hours from 85-90.

Prob one of the main reasons there arent more guides to leveling is due to heirloom gear. Most people use it to level any alts which not only makes leveling faster due to more exp, but its basically best in slot for every level all the way up to level 80. Most people arent going to waste time making guides for lets say a lev 32 because in 20 minutes you could be level 33 with the gear. My general advice would be to take survivablity talents when leveling and then take more offensive abilities when you hit 90.

Not trying to judge and not sure on your skill level but hunters are normally one of the easier classes to level. Once you get your pet, you should just have him on taunt (except in dungeons) and let him tank while you kill. Warriors take a little more time since you will be taking all dmg instead of pet. If you are dying alot then take 2nd wind. Shouldnt die anymore :). I like impending victory myself for leveing because you can include this ability into your rotation which does dmg and heals you, allowing you to keep attacking much faster. Looking at end game rotation isnt horrible though even at low levels because you will understand which abilities are going to be your bread and butter at higher levels. My main is a warrior so if you can detail more what is frustrating you, i should be able to assist to make things easier for you.

But it is something we know we need to start working on. I think a few of us just need to take one for the team and level an alt or two while writing a journal of what works for us along the way.

This is more along the line of what I was asking about. Myself I have 5 90's now and at one time or another they were at the top of their game and doing outstanding.  

But for someone starting a whole new spec (class) and not getting results it would be nice to know what they're doing wrong. Rotation alone can make a huge difference to not only Dps output but, but having mana left or rage or runic power.

Looking at rotaions and gear suggested for a 90 seldom helps a lvl 20 -30 toon as the attacks and abilities you use and rely on at 90 don't even exhist yet for a lower toon.

When I started my Pali I constantly bugged my older son about the tank spec. and what works when. I practiced it and found it suddenly made sense and it became alot easier to do well.

Thats the sort of help I'm talking about. When your in a 5 man and someone has the same class as you and he/she's on the top of the dps list and your at the bottom with the same level toon. Someone is doing something really well and someone needs to re think their methods.

Assume a new toon on a new server (read as no heirlooms) and obviously little to no money.

What would get the best results (not where)  battle pets don't help my dps in my dungeons / raids much, lol

Assume a new toon on a new server (read as no heirlooms) and obviously little to no money.

What would get the best results (not where)  battle pets don't help my dps in my dungeons / raids much, lol

Do you mean a brand new player starting WoW for the first time?  Because now the heirlooms can be mailed to your characters on other servers.  To be completely honest, new players shouldn't worry about how they rank on the meter as long as the bosses die or everybody stays alive.  Sounds like you just want to know how to be top of the meter from 1-max level.  There are tons of guides that will help you from 1-90.  Even addons that pretty much do everything but push the buttons for you.

Since I was in the leveling trance this past month, I'll share some:

You do the quests at your starting area, then move on out to the quests around the starting area. Eg.

Human starts in Elwynn Forest, then they move to Goldshrine, then Westfall.

The quests you do will eventually point you to the next quest hub.

Once you reach level 15, you gain entrance to dungeons (RDF).

If you are not familiar with dungeoning, just mention it in the start of the dungeon, the other people will guide you through it.

Quick explanation on dungeons:

A dungeon party consists of 5 people; 1 Tank (person dedicated to soaking up the damage the boss and mobs deals) 3 Damage Dealers (to kill the boss and mobs), and 1 Healer (To keep the Tank/Party alive). The party has to defeat the bosses in a linear-like path (Note that some bosses and mobs are optional)

The nice things about dungeons is that they have their own quests that you can do while progressing through the dungeon, for example defeat the final boss. By using the RDF, you are able to obtain exp from 3 things:

The Dungeon's Quests (Most contributing factor)

Killing the bosses and mobs

Bonus Exp from using the RDF to complete a dungeon.

These 3 things will allow you to level up in almost each dungeon you do. Please note that dungeons have level ranges, so even if you level up in the dungeon, you might get the same dungeon again until you move out the level range (which is not a problem since leveling is so fast at the lower levels). You can see what dungeons are being queued for by holding on the "dice" icon in the RDF interface.

If you have 3 minute queues when queuing for a dungeon, you can either wait in your home city, explore the map (and unlock the flight masters) or do quests.

Once you reach about level 52, the RDF will queue you for Mana Tombs (which is a nightmare). Only do it once for the quests and then proceed to Winterspring to do quests, and then to Blasted Lands until you are able to queue for new dungeons.

TL;DR - the basics of "Speed" leveling; Only do dungeons that still gives the quests, and if they don't, do quests.

EDIT: Next, the spells you use are the ones already mentioned in the class guides, if you don't have the spell yet, use the next best thing / skip spell. Mobs die so fast you won't get to use a full rotation

Edited by Archimage

Lol... well origionally I thought this sounded like a simple request but after re reading my first post I see that my intent and my question can be seen in different lights.

This was not meant as a how do I get there the fastest thing this is more of a "how do i make the best of what i have" thing.

Speed leveling is simple, Run dungeons as much as poss. for xp and gear and only do quests / dungeons that are Yellow or org.

boom. done.

What i'd like to see put together is more of a "dummies guide".  It would be nice to see it set up like your talent choices.

Suggestions at lvl 15, 30, 45, 60 and 75.  As we already have the same thing for 90. As all know (and was mentioned) your only level 30 for 10 min.

Set up just like the one at 90.

Lets assume that the person your writing this for has the basics of the game down. They know the difference between Orgrimmar and Stormwind and can find them on a map, they know an axe from a hammer.

This would (being it starts as low as 15) be a welcome to your  (random class here)  guide.

This guide would be to help someone get the most out of their toons  lvl 15 abilities  and point out the same basics that the 90 guide does. Abilities, rotation. Basic description of what each shot/spell/attack/heal does and what would work best at that time.

It would do this for level 30, 45, etc. untill they graduate to 90.

To give an example. I have 5 90's. A Mage, Pali. , Warlock, D/K and a Priest.  I am fairly new to my hunter. I have one on both sides of the fence.

A week ago I ran 2 dungeons back to back on my Ally hunter. I ran one in BM and the 2nd in Survival. Being that a hunter is a dps toon I was keeping track of my results. The hunter was lvl 70ish i believe at the time.  In BM I got about 1850Dps. When i went through in Survival I hit 2880 dps.  Being that there was such a vast diff. between the two I figured i'm doing something wrong in BM , lets go practice and experiment on dummies in town.  After some reading of the shots/abilities and re arranging a few things on the action bar my BM went up to 2800 dps (yeah, thats better). I did the same for Survival and hit 6600 dps.

Now , yes I improved by doing some research and making changes but i'm still miles behind in one spec compared to the other and according to what i see all around while yes there is a diff. between the two specs to some degree, the diff. isn't all that big if played properly. While wanted to do well in dps I (hopefully others do to) would like to understand the class better and not just be good at breaking stuff but also understand when other abilities are to be used and what they're good for.  

A simple guide would prob. help with this.

" This is what you have to work with at lvl....?..... and this is the best way to put it to use.  Set up just like the guides that we have for 90 but with abilities , glyphs and talents that are available at the lower level.

Not a speed leveling guide. Those already exhist. but a  Class specific guilde to help a person NEW TO THE CLASS (not the game) would use to UNDERSTAND their toon.

Sorry if this was long winded but I hope it clears up some of the fog.

An example of what would be good to know is something i discovered while playing Survival.

Lock N Load is a spec. procedure (proc.) that give you really good damage while either not costing you focus or using less of it. I found that a cold trap and Black arrow will trigger this proc. While one is on cool down the other is usually available. This helps me to have Lock n load up alot more.

Edited by Icepick

I suggest you ask in each class's sub forum for a more detailed guide like what you're looking for. I could Gir you a pretty in depth guide for leveling a hunter, but I'd rather do so in the hunter forum. As for the vast difference in BM and SV performance, SV get improved serpents sting at lvl 70, which really helps your single target damage. BM truey shines when you get your lvl 75 talent (go with blink strikes, 50% increased pet damage) and mastery (more increased pet damage) at lvl 80. You want the increased pet damage for a pretty simple reason: kill command is a pet attack, and therefore is modified by increases in your pet's attack.

If you want this type of info on hunters, but more in depth and more levels covered, ask me in the hunter forum.

Edit: I'm starting on some leveling guides for hunters (all specs) and will post them once they are done, but it might take a few days to get them done.

Edited by Orthios

Yes.... this is an excellent example of a complete guide. It covers the Frost mage very well. ( The only mage I don't have)

If a talented person(s) with patience was to do this for each  class /spec. that would be the busiest site in wow history next to WoW and wow wiki.   Anyone just hiting the next milestone be it 20 , 25 , 30... 50 what ever could say Hey, I just got a new ability , what do i do with it then come to the guide and update the set up on their toon.

Now Obviously anyone who didn't care wouldn't come but the people who want to play their toons well and understand them would use it.

Edited by Icepick
  • Like 1