FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Sleete

Crafting Rules?

Is there any crafting rules?...

I just got hit by a player who had at 0 mana cards with 7 fireball damage each - crafted.

his strategy was simple, hardly play a thing - including destroying his own cards, until he had enough these 0 mana cards to win.

How the hell do you counter that? - makes a mockery of the game - especially for people of my level.

(and I though you could only have 2 of anycard in a deck. he had at least 3)

I also would have thought a card like that would be too powerful to be allowed to be crafted.

Or am I just being naieve - I mean I know I am new to the game, but when you play someone obviously much stronger than you with 

such cards... puts you off wanting to play.

... rant over... ? 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sleete said:

I just got hit by a player who had at 0 mana cards with 7 fireball damage each - crafted.

You cannot craft Fireballs. What you saw was most likely Exodia mage, which relies on a combo of Sorcerer's Apprentices to reduce Fireballs' cost to 0 and then generate more through Archmage Antonidas.

How the hell do you counter that? - makes a mockery of the game - especially for people of my level.

OTK combo decks are indeed very problematic for the game. Sadly, even though Blizzard said that they do not want them in the game, they continue to create more and more of those. 

(and I though you could only have 2 of anycard in a deck. he had at least 3)

You cannot have more than two of one card in the deck (or 1 in the case of legendary cards), which means he had to generate them.

• Thanks 1

Ah, maybe it was created, rather than crafted, still that explains the soerceres apprentice played a turn or two before.

I can't see how it can be countered, perhaps an experianced play could I guess.

Thanks Again positive2 - I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions 

8 hours ago, Sleete said:

Ah, maybe it was created, rather than crafted, still that explains the soerceres apprentice played a turn or two before.

I can't see how it can be countered, perhaps an experianced play could I guess.

If the apprentice was played a turn earlier it can be killed. BUT: There are decks and synergies, that can create (nearly) unlimited damage in one turn. Like positive2 said, the OTK decks. (=One Turn Kill) 

If the enemy manages to have the required pices in his hand (usually, there are several cards he needs to have) and the necessary mana (usually 10) there is absolutly nothing you can do to counter it.

No matter how good your board, health, armor, hand, whatever. You just loose.

The only thing you can do is beat the opponent before he manages to get every piece he needs. Since OTK decks have quite a lot of removal / stall (e.g. freezing the board) beating them will be quite hard, if you do not play a very good deck of your own. 

Sadly, Hearthstone has become very complex. It is next to impossible to beat the best decks without having a good deck on your own.

And you encounter lot's of good decks, even on low tiers or on non-ranked play.

I admit, that I am part of this problem. I play since the beginning, this way I got a halfway good collection of cards without investing any money (which I discourage you strongly from doing!) - I have a decent deck for most classes. I do not play much on most days. But quests often require to win a game. Those quests I just want to finsih ASAP. I choose a good deck and play non-ranked or ranked wild (I am at 20 at wild). This way I have a good chance to encounter a not so good deck. And since I have some experience (which new players lack obviously) I have a very high chance of winning the game and getting the quest done.

That is not a nice thing to do. No doubt about that. Playing with a Tier 1/2 deck against a new player who has no deck at all? That's an asshole-move. I admit that. But: It gets my quest done. And since I am not willing to pay real money, I need to do the daily quests. This way I get at least some gold to be able to afford maybe one Tier 1 deck for each new expansion.

I am sorry, that behaviour like mine kills some fun for new players - but I am not sorry enough to play a standard-deck and invest much more time to fullfill my quests. ?

16 hours ago, Sleete said:

How the hell do you counter that? - makes a mockery of the game - especially for people of my level.?

First of all, welcome here.

Second of all, I suggest you to read this site guides (you can find them on "guides" high on the screen ? ), expecially this one, because they can teach you a lot of basis you may not have if you never played some trading card game like Magic or Yugioh.

Third, on this specific case: I don't know what did you played. Of course if you had a beginner/budget deck, it's hard to win against high level perfect deck, but it isn't impossible at all.
Against this kind of One Turn Kill deck, it is simple: you must kill them before they kill you!
Ok, it may seem that I said something obviously stupid, but it isn't. Time is the key: you know that after some turns if they are alive they will win, no matter what you did before or what you have on board. BUT they don't have any other way to win. So you should concentrate yourself more on dealing damage to the face then clearling their board or making your own main plan.
If you know the card pool for every class, you know how many clear they can use against you. For example, mages usually have 2 frost nova and 1 or 2 blizzard, with 2 doomsayer. So you have to balance what you play now (and by extencion, how many turns you need to deal 30 damage face) and what you can deploy after they cleared the board. If you play the right number of minion, you will be able to regain control of the board after both doomsayers, and then it's only a time race between the damage you deal and their ability to draw the combo (that are 5 cards, so they may need to draw almost all their deck to get al pieces!).

More generally, Hearthstone is a game of roles: there is an attacker and a defender, in common game terms an aggro and a control. Usually the player that play better his role, he wins. The player who play the wrong role? He lose. The player who play the right role, but play it wrong? He lose.
To quote the Art of War, if you know yourself and know the enemy, you need not fear the resoult of a hundred battles (matches). This means that if you want to get better to this game, you need to know what decks are played and how they works. This site is full of guides (that are better then decklist you find on other sites, because this explain you how to play things), I suggest you to try the highest number of decks to understand better how they works. If you don't own the cards, use budget version. Try to make your own budget version.

If you like, watching some streamers on youtube can help. I like Disguisedtoast because he's funny, but I know that there are some streamer that explain carefully why they do things, and this can help a lot. If you like, I never did this because I felt boring to watch videos about a game I can play ?

With this knowledge, you will understand what your opponent plays from their first cards, and then you'll understand who is fastest, you or your opponent. So you'll understand if you must attack or defende, if you are aggro or control. Then you'll be a good player ?

Hope to be helpfull, sorry if I did some language mistakes ?

• Like 1

SynesthesyWedgeAntilles, and of course positiv2

Thanks for all the comments, Lots of useful information.

I'm only working with the basic decks right now, so I do expect to lose - the matchmaking is a bit poor though if I get put against someone with a mega deck - though I guess it can't interpret the deck being used, just the level of the player.

(and as with most online games nowadays, money can win)

I enjoy the game, that's enough for me, If I can get better - that's a bonus!

Thanks again...

and expect more questions!

lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Sleete said:

and expect more questions!

Don't hesitate to ask :)

I appreciate it very much, that you reply to answers you receive. Lots of people do not - they ask a question and never bother again. If I answered I have no idea if it was helpful. Or if it was too complicated or nor comprehendable at all. Especially since English is not my native tongue, I am not sure if I am able to express myself clearly. 

It was very clear, perhaps the grammer of an odd sentence not quite right, still easily understood though, better than some British peoples I assure you.

Oh I would never ask something, and not reply to the reply, just common courtesy, and it's right to acknowledge any help.

Edited by Sleete
  • Like 2