FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

How to Pick a Realm and Create a Character in WoW Classic

2SK6UEb.jpg

In this article, we're taking a closer look at how to choose a realm and create a character in WoW Classic.

Table of Contents

1. Installing the Game 

The first thing you need to do in order to create a character is to install the game. This is done by selecting World of Warcraft Classic in the Battle.net desktop app. Click the Install button, and the installation bar will show you when the game is available to play. Click the Play button to log in.

2. Understanding Realm Types 

Before picking a server, you should familiarize yourself with the different server types that will be available at Classic launch:

• Normal: On these servers, you must manually flag yourself for PvP. No ganking while questing and you can create characters of both factions.
  • PvP (Player versus Player): Here, you will be flagged for PvP at all times. Exceptions apply.
    • IMPORTANT: If you choose to play on a PvP realm, you will be only able to create characters within the same faction.
  • RP (Roleplay): These servers are intended for players who want to fully immerse themselves in the game. If you know the infamous Moon Guard, you probably get the idea. Same rules apply as for Normal realms, meaning you must flag yourself for PvP manually.
  • RP-PvP (Roleplay Player versus Player): Virtually the same as RP realms, but with PvP added.

3. Choosing a Server 

Now that you've picked your realm type, you can easily narrow down your results depending on your preferred time zone and language.

• European realms are separated by language. There are English, German, French, and Russian realms.
  • US & Oceanic realms are separated by time zones.

How do you know which server best suits you? Another factor to consider is server population. Do you want to play on a highly-populated realm with many players where you won't have issues finding groups at any time of day or would you prefer a server with low population, no lag, but slow economy?

Servers with high population have clear downsides such as server lag, long queue times during peak hours, but you won't have problems finding players for pretty much anything (even at 4:00 AM), and you'll pay less Gold for goods on the Auction House.

If you'd like to play on a realm with high population, you can't go wrong by picking a streamer realm. If you're, on the other hand, looking for an authentic Vanilla experience, you should avoid them. Many streamers have already created their characters and it appears that Faerlina-US will be the main streamer realm in WoW Classic in the US. EU streamers have so far picked Golemagg-EU.

4. Realm Population Reports & Available Servers 

We have preliminary data regarding WoW Classic realm population based on the recently-created characters that we bring you on a regular basis. Check out our realm population hub for more info!

EU Realms

Name Type Language
Gehennas PvP English
Golemagg PvP English
Hydraxian Waterlords RP English
Mirage Raceway Normal English
Pyrewood Village Normal English
Shazzrah PvP English
Zandalar Tribe RP-PvP English
Auberdine Normal French
Sulfuron PvP French
Everlook Normal German
Lucifron PvP German
Razorfen Normal German
Venoxis PvP German
Chromie Normal Russian
Flamegor PvP Russian

US Realms

Name Type Time Zone
Atiesh Normal Pacific Time
Blaumeux PvP Pacific Time
Bloodsail Buccaneers RP Eastern Time
Faerlina PvP Eastern Time
Fairbanks PvP Pacific Time
Grobbulus RP-PvP Pacific Time
Herod PvP Eastern Time
Mankrik Normal Eastern Time
Myzrael Normal Pacific Time
Pagle Normal Eastern Time
Skeram PvP Eastern Time
Stalagg PvP Eastern Time
Thalnos PvP Eastern Time
Whitemane PvP Pacific Time

Oceanic Realms

Name Type Time Zone
Arugal PvP Australian Eastern Time
Remulos Normal Australian Eastern Time

5. Character Creation 

You've picked a server and now must decide between the Alliance and the Horde! Note that in Classic, Paladins are only available to the Alliance and Shamans to the Horde. The final thing you must do is choose a fitting name for your character and wait for Classic to launch on August 27.

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

WoW Classic name reservations now open! Players with an active subscription or game time on their World of Warcraft account can create up to three characters per WoW account before WoW Classic releases worldwide on Monday, August 26 at 3:00 p.m. PDT.

• Players who choose to play on a PvP realm will only be able to create characters within the same faction. This means that if you create an Alliance character, all further characters on that realm must also be Alliance characters.
  • After WoW Classic is live, you’ll be able to create up to 10 characters on any given realm and can create a maximum of 50 characters across all WoW Classic realms. This character count does not impact the number of characters you can create on the current World of Warcraft realms.
  • Characters that were created for the WoW Classic beta or stress tests will not be available to use in WoW Classic.

To create a character and play WoW Classic, you will need to download and install the client first.

1. Open the Battle.net desktop app and select World of Warcraft in the game selection menu.
  2. Under the Version menu, select World of Warcraft Classic. If you have more than one World of Warcraft account, you’ll see a second dropdown for Account. In that column, select the active account you want to play on.
  3. Click the Install button. You’ll see an installation progress bar that will show you when the installation is available to play.
  4. Once the installation is complete, click the Play button.

You’ll need to select the realm you want to play on then select Create New Character. You’ll be able to choose your faction, class, and race, as well as fully customize your new character and name them. If you change your mind about a character and have already created your three, you will need to choose a character to delete. Please note, the name associated with the character deleted will be immediately available again to be claimed.

Before you put your plans too firmly in place, we encourage you to gather your allies together to select your new home realm. If you’re looking to reconnect with your old friends and guildmates, be sure to check out our Classic Connections forum.

AVAILABLE REALMS FOR NORTH AMERICA

Name Type Time Zone
Atiesh Normal Pacific Time
Blaumeux PvP Pacific Time
Bloodsail Buccaneers RP Eastern Time
Faerlina PvP Eastern Time
Fairbanks PvP Pacific Time
Grobbulus RP-PvP Pacific Time
Herod PvP Eastern Time
Mankrik Normal Eastern Time
Myzrael Normal Pacific Time
Pagle Normal Eastern Time
Skeram PvP Eastern Time
Stalagg PvP Eastern Time
Thalnos PvP Eastern Time
Whitemane PvP Pacific Time

AVAILABLE REALMS FOR OCEANIA

Name Type Time Zone
Arugal PvP Australian Eastern Time
Remulos Normal Australian Eastern Time

AVAILABLE REALMS FOR EUROPE

Name Type Language
Gehennas PvP English
Golemagg PvP English
Hydraxian Waterlords RP English
Mirage Raceway Normal English
Pyrewood Village Normal English
Shazzrah PvP English
Zandalar Tribe RP-PvP English
Auberdine Normal French
Sulfuron PvP French
Everlook Normal German
Lucifron PvP German
Razorfen Normal German
Venoxis PvP German
Chromie Normal Russian
Flamegor PvP Russian

1 hour ago, durdyenglish said:

Anyone know which Classic realm has the fastest latency for East Coast?

It's hard to tell because you can't enter the world. The least you can do is find the server's IP in command line/Terminal and ping it, but that will be a rough representation of the actual ping.

1 hour ago, blackstar128 said:

can we get the statistics on which realm is horde/alliance majority. because there is no cross realm stuff in classic, being in minority will really hurt you.

Unfortunately, there's no way for us to gather such data right now.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym
      The honor system has been having a lot of troubles lately, but as we found out in the previous blue post, it's all just  been a display issue with the statistics which they are now in the process of fixing. Since a lot of players aren't trusting these findings/fixes and are convinced something is off for their honor totals, Classic developer Pazorax went in-depth to explain how the system actually works. He reiterated that honor has been calculated correctly this week and emphasized the long, long road towards the higher honor ranks, including a minimum 12 week journey to the very top, and that's only if you're the very best in your faction ever single week.
      Honor (source)
      I know the honor system can be frustrating, and even more so if it feels like you’re not getting credit for your efforts, so I wanted to post and let you know we are looking at people’s honor for the week, and so far all the checks we’ve done indicate that honor was calculated correctly this week.
      As we mentioned before, our data repair job on Monday caused the “This week” totals to display an inflated value for the rest of the day, and that appears to explain a lot of the confusion we’ve seen so far.
      We also know that some players confuse “estimated honor” with actual honor (estimates don’t account for diminishing returns), or confuse honor with rank (honor is earned from kills, rank is based on your relative standing within your faction). The honor system is slow to progress you through the ranks, even in the best case, so many of these reports aren’t a case of the honor going “missing” as much as they’re a case of an unforgiving system giving you less progress toward a rank than you were expecting.
      In addition to being based on your relative standing within your faction, your progress to the next rank also slows down as you reach higher ranks. Achieving the same standing each week won’t award the same amount of progress toward each rank, it awards a fixed percentage of the delta between your current rank, and your current standing. It is actually impossible to achieve rank 14 in less than 12 weeks, and that assumes that you’re the top player on your faction for every one of those 12 weeks.
      Those are all intentional behaviors, and are not bugs, but they can all contribute to a feeling of difficulty progressing through the ranks.
      We also see reports of missing kills when you’re playing during the daily reset job, and we’ve checked that too. In fact, I just checked right now, on some of the people who reported errors in this thread, and last night’s job did calculate their honor correctly. Those kills are still there, its just a display issue, and they’ll show up on the next day’s daily report now that the underlying issue is fixed.
      We are continuing to investigate, but at this time we don’t see any problems in the week 3 data. Once we conclude this investigation we can move on to investigating the problems that occurred during week 1 and 2, and we’re beginning to do that now.
      Thank you again for your patience as we work through these issues.
    • By Stan
      Free Character Moves are closing for all WoW Classic realms on December 5-6. Will paid character transfers be announced soon?
      Blizzard said they were considering paid character transfers in WoW Classic back in September because the service was available in original WoW, but no other paid services beyond that.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Piggy backing on this...will PAID transfers also be a thing should a server drop heavily in population and a player wishes to move to find more activity or reconvene with friends on another server.
      We're considering integrating a character transfer service once players have reached higher levels. This was available in the original WoW. We'll look at the rules we imposed at that time and also discuss the implications of players moving to a new realm. We believe realm identity is an important aspect of Classic so any guidelines around transfers should support this belief.
      Will there be paid services for Classic?
      We aren't considering other services beyond character transfer at this time.
      While we have no specific details to share at this time, Free Character Moves that have been available since the launch of WoW Classic are going away this week, and perhaps, we're not too far away from paid character transfers being integrated into WoW Classic now that players will be locked to low-population servers.
      EU
      Blizzard (Source)
      On 6 December at 1:00 a.m. CET, we will close the Free Character Move service for all realms in this region. We suggest that any player who has not yet taken a planned Free Character Move please do so as soon as possible.
      Thank you very much!
      US
      Blizzard (Source)
      On December 5 at 11:00 a.m. PST (2:00 p.m. EST), we will close the Free Character Move service for all realms in this region. We suggest that any player who has not yet taken a planned Free Character Move please do so as soon as possible.
      Thank you very much!
    • By Stan
      Last week, we reported about a bug in WoW Classic which caused Honor not to calculate between 3-7 AM. Blizzard has now replied that the bug has nothing to do with the previous caching issues and they're pretty close to fixing it.
      The issue was apparently caused by the daily honor script running before the end of the day, causing it to miss kills that haven't yet happened. The good thing is they have all the kills recorded, even though you can't see them in-game, so you won't lose any Honor when this is fixed.
      Blizzard (Source)
      It would be nice to have a blue at least respond saying there is an issue…
      I agree, but unfortunately, we didn’t have the chance to respond sooner. We’ve been investigating, and can now confirm that yes, this is a separate issue, that’s not related to the caching issues we were experiencing previously. The caching issues made it more difficult to uncover this issue, and I appreciate the detailed reports of which kills were missing and over what time range which helped us track this down.
      We’re getting pretty close to fixing this, and it turns out it was caused by the daily honor script running before the end of the day, causing it to miss kills that haven’t yet happened. But worry not! Those kills are still recorded, they just weren’t getting collected into the daily statistics correctly, so they’re not displaying in-game for “yesterday” or “this week” kills/honor. The source of the issue appears to be a scheduling system treating a UTC time as a local time, and we believe we’ve found and fixed that problem a few minutes ago.
      We’re also working on a fix to repair the daily statistics which we’re hoping to run Monday, in advance of the weekly rank adjustment, so it will correctly count all your kills and honor correctly for this week.
      I want to stress, that we do have all the kills recorded, even though you can’t see them all in-game, and we’re working hard to get the weekly statistics correct.
      Thank you for your patience as we untangle this issue.
    • By Stan
      Players are currently reporting a bug in WoW Classic where Honor is not properly calculated between 3-7 AM. We're still waiting for a reply from Blizzard.
      Blizzard (Source)
      I’d like to apologize for being incapable of formatting this in a more legible manner. Hopefully I can get all of this information across.
      My friend and I have done a bulk of our play time during the hours of 3-8 AM PST. After much perceived loss of honorable kills disappearing and achieving extremely sub par honor returns every day and after weekly roll over.
      I then proceeded to catalogue my honorable kills and honor gains.
      My hypothesis being that in the time frame of 3-8 am there is a period where any gains are not being accounted towards weekly standing.
      My findings are as follows.
      Daily and weekly honor resets are happening at 3 AM.
      3-7 AM I had achieved 47 HK totaling 3800 honor.
      7-9 AM I had achieved 36 HK totaling 2800 honor.
      12-7 PM I had achieved 196 HK totaling 7400 honor.
      (All of this honor was calculated including diminishing returns)
      Now if I total all of these honorable kills and honor together; 279 HK 14000 honor.
      Now what happened during reset time of 3 AM you may ask? My total honorable kills were reduced to 213 and honor 9075.
      Obviously 3-9 AM period had rolled over an extra hour but let’s still go with those numbers anyway.
      Let’s take my total 279 HK and 14000 H and subtract my numbers I have gained during the period of 3-9 AM, 83 HK 6600 HONOR we arrive at:
      196 HK 7400 HONOR.
      Now obviously as previously stated I had gone over the 3-8 AM period by an hour with this sample. But it is closer to what was returned on reset than what I had gained.
      Then subtracting just 3-7 AM gains leaves us at:
      232 HK 10200 HONOR.
      Even closer to what was returned after roll over.
      I believe there is something wrong in the code in regards to when a day ends and begins. As current reset time for dungeon/raids is 8 AM, where as the old reset time and also the current honor roll over time is 3 AM.
    • By Stan
      In an effort to remove the ability of addons to extend players' senses and detect enemies, the in-game combat log range has been decreased and now only displays information for units that are within 50 yards of the player.
      The hotfix has been deployed to live realms earlier today together with the fix for Onyxia's buff which prevented buffs from stacking.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Earlier today, we deployed a WoW Classic hotfix to all regions:
      The in-game combat log radius has been fixed, and now only displays information for units that are within 50 yards of the player. This is closer to the original behavior of WoW 1.12, and should eliminate the ability for addons to extend players’ senses and detect enemy actions at a greater distance than intended.
      This fix does not affect text logs that the game outputs for raid parses.