FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

The Mysterious Jailer is the Main Villain in Shadowlands

UYoTQ6d.jpg

Sylvanas Windrunner is serving the Jailer in Shadowlands, but who exactly is this mysterious creature?

Check out our BlizzCon 2019 Content Hub for more details!

To understand the concept of Shadowlands, we must first talk about Anima, which is the driving force (blood) of Shadowlands. Normally, souls cross the veil between life and death and are brought before the Arbiter who determines, based on the amount of Anima a soul bears, to which realm the soul gets routed to.

With the destruction of the Helm of Domination, Sylvanas Windrunner broke the machine of death, causing souls to be poured directly into the Maw, where the mysterious creature known as the Jailer resides. As a result, Shadowlands are starved of Anima and wither.

lol.JPG.06e50c0e029e9ac25b5120ec0592d7cd

The Maw is an endgame zone in Shadowlands and the only one realm without a Covenant (ruler). We learned that the Jailer will be the main antagonist of the expansion. She made a pact with him around the time of the Edge of Night after the Lich King has been defeated.

Maw_Postcard.jpg

The short story deals with Sylvanas throwing herself down Icecrown Citadel only to be resurrected by the Val'kyr later on, with whom she made a sister pact.

"Sylvanas' actions in Battle for Azeroth were calculated to cause the most death possible."

Game Director Ion Hazzikostas (Source)

According to Ion, Sylvanas' actions were carefully planned, so that she could funnel souls directly into the Maw which caused her powers to grow exponentially. She now wields newfound powers of death, as portrayed in the War Campaign finale, where she killed Saufang in the blink of an eye.

image.png

In Shadowlands, we're going to learn more about Sylvanas' motives and her "master"...

But, who exactly is this Jailer? The only thing we know is that it's a character that we haven't encountered yet (not Arthas) and he's also probably behind naming Windrunner Warchief. Could it be Mueh'zala?

maw.jpg

Il'gynoth returns in Patch 8.3 with a set of new whispers, one of them refers to Mueh'zala, also known as "The Father of Sleep".

"Before the last shadow falls, the father of sleep shall savor his feast."

Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

I wonder if Void Lords are going to appear in this expansion or we will have to wait for the next one. It appears Sylvanas attempts to use this Jailer and death-related powers to defeat them, as Void Lords are clearly afraid of her. All of that anima gathered for one purpose, while Shadowlands are being sacrificed as a result. Sounds quite a lot like Illidan.

9 minutes ago, Dumonde said:

Sylvanas has no master. She is her own master.

(Clearly stated at Blizzcon.)

Do you think she'll be the Azshara/Gul'dan of the expansion or more like Illidan?

22 minutes ago, Stan said:

Do you think she'll be the Azshara/Gul'dan of the expansion or more like Illidan?

Well.

Azshara and Gul´Dan were both only servants - Ilidan wasn´t.

She won´t be like anyone else, she is something else. If I am right and her plan is

to become death itself (herself).. All will serve her in the end, which gives her final loyalist statement

a complete new meaning.

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

Maybe neither. I like her chaotic neutral character - sometimes people believe she's good, sometimes that she's evil, but ultimately she has her own selfish goals, it's just difficult for mortals to see them. But she surely wouldn't sacrifice herself for Azeroth - that's not how she rolls. Yet, if she would be simply seeking power - she already possesses Xal'atath, she coulda have wielded the Scourge-control helm - I think that would be already enough to wipe Azeroth for someone with that tacitcal sense, so that's a no either. Sylvanas doesn't kills for the thrill of the hunt - others just happen to be in her way.

Arthas 2.0 Jailor *Cough* I mean Lich King. Remember that one time she attacked the Valkyrie in Storm-Peak? Garrosh 2.0 - Blizzard is running out of ideas. They're like if we scrap past ideas and mash them together we profit!

16 hours ago, Varrick said:

Arthas 2.0 Jailor *Cough* I mean Lich King. Remember that one time she attacked the Valkyrie in Storm-Peak? Garrosh 2.0 - Blizzard is running out of ideas. They're like if we scrap past ideas and mash them together we profit!

A bit of a stretch there... I actually think the driving narrative behind Shadowlands is fresh and compelling. Sylvanas isn't serving anyone, she found a partner in the Jailer. Whether the two will attempt to betray each other has yet to be seen.

Uncommon Patron
45 minutes ago, durdyenglish said:

A bit of a stretch there... I actually think the driving narrative behind Shadowlands is fresh and compelling. Sylvanas isn't serving anyone, she found a partner in the Jailer. Whether the two will attempt to betray each other has yet to be seen.

I think betrayal is pretty much a given unless we kill them before they betray one another.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym
      The axes are gaining quite some ground, as more and more players get their hands on the legendary. We also see a new No.1 in the raw DPS rankings and the usual moving around (except in Heroic, which is just solid).
      Note: We are using Normalized scores instead of raw DPS for the Warcraft Logs rankings. The u.gg rankings at the bottom are raw DPS. Normalized scores take into account the outlier boss fights where certain specs could stack massive DPS (due to the nature of the fight, whether it's AoE spam or something else), which would then affect their overall score for the whole raid.
      Mythic
      Overall Damage 95th Percentile
      Arcane falls out of the loop, losing 4 spots in 7th, and the new No.3 skips a few spots as Outlaw comes up from 6th to slot in behind the very stable top 2 this week! We then have the Fyr'alath gallery, with Fury pushing past Retribution and Arms gaining another 3 spots and landing in 6th. That's 4 axes in the top 6 (or 3, depending on what the Fury players are using)! Frost DK is doing quite as well as that one recent week, but it is coming back up, 3 spots in fact. Havoc is the rare stable one in 9th, while Enhancement drops down further, closing out the top 10 three spots below last week. Marksmanship takes a tumble and falls past the two low Warlocks, as it joins its fellow Hunter and the eternally under-counted Augmentation at the bottom.

95th percentile Mythic data by Warcraft Logs.
      Overall Damage All Percentiles
      Fyr'alath is moving up... uh, I mean Arms! Gaining two more spots this week, the Warrior finds itself in 4th, pushing past Enhancement, with the top 3 the same as last week. This makes it 3 axes in the top 4 (or 2, depending on what the Fury players are using). Fyr'alath also gains a huge 6 spots down in... ok, I did it again. Unholy is actually the one moving up into 6th, and the axe is just along for the ride, but it is the biggest move of the week nonetheless. Demonology moves out of the top 10, losing 3 spots.
      All percentiles Mythic data by Warcraft Logs.
      Boss Only Damage All Percentiles
      I'm not doing the Fyr'alath bit again, but Unholy is definitely being helped by the new influx of legendaries, as it moves into 2nd place, gaining 3 spots. Enhancement is dropping here as well, as all three axe-wielders move past it. 2-handed Enhancement when?!
      All percentiles Mythic data by Warcraft Logs.
      Heroic
      Overall Damage All Percentiles
      The Fy'ralath influx doesn't seem to have affected Heroic, which might make some sense as a lot of players may have only gotten them in Heroic this week, and then went to Mythic. In any case, the only movement in the top 10 is actually the opposite of the expected, as Shadow takes down Unholy for the final spot.

All percentiles Heroic data by Warcraft Logs.
      U.GG Raw DPS Rankings
      U.gg's rankings are based on actual DPS taken from Warcraft Logs data, focusing on the top players and span the past two weeks. This chart is for Mythic only.
      Affliction finally manages to fight its way to the top! Subtlety has been the king all over the place, seemingly immune to change, but the Warlock has now taken over, and by quite a solid 20K margin. Demonology keeps falling, 2 more spots this week, making room for Frost DK and Arcane. Devastation moves one up to close out the top 10, with Arms following right behind it. Marksmanship takes a dip into the bottom 3 here as well.
      Mythic chart by u.gg.

Meanwhile, if you're looking for more information you can check out our Dragonflight class guides, Amirdrassil boss guides, the raid DPS tier list, as well as more data from Warcraft Logs here.
    • By Staff
      This week's highlights include the MDI Global Finals starting March 8, Darkmoon Faire, the World Quest Bonus Event, and more!
      (Source)
      Each week we’ll look ahead to what’s in store for World of Warcraft, share the latest news, and keep you in the know byte by byte. Join in the Season of Discovery with an increased experience buff and tune in this weekend to the MDI Global Finals. 
      Tune in for the Mythic Dungeon International Global Finals
      Don’t miss out on the action as the grand finals reveal who of the remaining teams will rise to the top to claim victory. Tune in this weekend, March 8-10 beginning at 10:00 am PDT (19:00 CET) on Twitch.tv/Warcraft or YouTube.com/Warcraft.

Learn more in our previously published article
      News and Events This Week
      Stay on top of all the upcoming news and in-game activities right here.
      March 3 (Event) The Darkmoon Faire Returns (March 3 – March 9)
      Meet Silas Darkmoon and his troupe, play games that test mind and nerve, and behold exotic sights from the four corners of Azeroth… and beyond! March 5 (Event) World Quest Bonus Event (March 5 – March 12)
      While this event is active, completing World Quests awards bonus reputation with the appropriate faction. (Event) PvP Brawl: Comp Stomp (March 5 – March 12) (Event) Season of Discovery: Discoverer’s Delight 100% Experience Buff Live March 8 (Event) MDI Global Finals Begin (March 8-10) (Article) Blues News Stay tuned to the official World of Warcraft news site as we journey through the week together.
    • By Starym
      Image courtesy of WoWDB.
      Another year, another (few) hundred attempts at the Love Rocket/X-45 Heartbreaker mount for a lot of players. Love Is in the Air ended a while ago, and players have been comparing how they did in THE most arduous mount grind available in WoW today (yes, move over Invincible, you’re just a common drop in comparison).
      We have players that have been going at it for FIFTEEN years now, with no luck, running the dungeon for the mount on many different characters - but some managed to strike gold this year! So, let’s take a look at some player reactions at getting the mount, or, more likely, not.
      First we have the eternals as I call them, who have been going at it for a LONG time. Bob claims to have been trying for 20 years and still didn’t get one (but seeing as the event has only been around for 15 years, he's exaggerating a little - but it definitely feels like 2 decades), but that hasn’t stopped him from he will trying again next year.
      “Honestly - 20 years and still no drop? That’s insane. I can respect rare drops, but fuck this shit.They talk about ‘higher chance on first character’ and ‘bad luck protection’ - but it’s BS for the Love Rocket (or the new name).Edit: I’m a bit less pissed knowing there are others out there. Good luck to you all next year.“ - ItsFuckinBob
      “I've had every other holiday mount for 10+ years and yet the love rocket still eludes me. I run it on about 10 toons every day for the duration of the event for the past 15 years” - Forsaken-Let8739

But that’s not all when it comes to rarity, as plenty of players have not only not gotten the mount, they’ve never even seen anyone get it in the many, many groups they’ve run the dungeon with! Now that’s partly due to the mount not dropping as loot directly, but it’s still pretty demotivating.
      "That's the crazy thing. In all my years running to get it, I've never seen it drop for anyone." - JayIT
      Even looking at just the current year, players are putting an insane amount of time for the mount, with no luck:
      "750 kills, 30 hours in the dungeon, no mount or saddle drop. Guess I'll just have to get it next year ?" - DeeRez

There actually are those that do get it, and here are some that have ended their suffering this year:
      "15 years I got mine this year… 30 toons a day I did about 400 runs this year it will drop!" - jvaughn95
      "I've done it since the event was introduced into game and finally got it this year (there is hope!). I just stared blankly at the screen and very calmly said "I got it..." and my husband whirled around and was like what? the mount? YOU GOT IT! - he sounded more excited than me lol. I was just numb after years of trying. So glad!
      Now the saddle won't drop but oh well XD" - NeoSakurie

And then, of course, there are the (much disliked) lucky ones:
      "Got mine on 2nd run.." - shittysituationz
      "I was away for work for all but 2 days of the event I have 2 max lvl toons got it day 2 ?" - sueybro
      "Ran it for years now but this year I went HARD. 14+ characters per day and I leveled 2 of them during the event! My WIFE walks in one time this event and gets it. Once. I'm not angry I love that she has it but ooooooh my goooooooood blizzard can we please just have a 500 run achievement for it or something at this point. I'm sure I'm close." - PolyWolyDoodal
      "My wife just dropped it after 3rd attempt. I am fuming." - xdCms

And then there are people like roughschematics, who have a pretty good argument on the whole thing, trying to break the cycle of people getting more and more annoyed chasing the mount:

So, how did you fare this year? How long have you been at the hunt, and when exactly did it start to annoy you? Or have you just been ignoring it entirely?
    • By Stan
      It's that time of the week again where we check the most popular specs for Mythic+!

DISCLAIMER
      The following post is based on data taken from u.gg, which has combined thousands of parses from live servers.
      The Most Popular Specializations for Mythic+ in Season 3 Week 16
      This week's affixes are Tyrannical, Incorporeal, and Spiteful.
      The Most Popular DPS Specializations
      Retribution Paladin - 17.7% Fire Mage - 8.8% Augmentation Evoker - 7.9% Havoc Demon Hunter - 7.5% Shadow Priest - 7.3% Outlaw Rogue 6.3% Demonology Warlock - 4.8% Beast Mastery Hunter - 4.5% Fury Warrior - 4.0% Balance Druid - 2.9% Windwalker Monk - 2.7% Destruction Warlock - 2.2% Arms Warrior - 2.1% Enhancement Shaman - 2.0% Frost Mage - 2.0% Elemental Shaman - 1.9% Unholy Death Knight - 1.8% Survival Hunter - 1.6% Marksmanship Hunter - 1.5% Arcane Mage - 1.5% Frost Death Knight - 1.5% Subtlety Rogue - 1.5% Assassination Rogue - 1.5% Affliction Warlock - 1.5% Feral Druid - 1.4% Devastation Evoker - 1.4%
      The Most Popular Tanks
      Vengeance Demon Hunter - 55.2% Protection Paladin - 18.0% Blood Death Knight - 9.1% Guardian Druid - 6.8% Protection Warrior - 5.7% Brewmaster Monk 5.2%
      The Most Popular Healers
      Mistweaver Monk - 29.8% Restoration Druid - 20.8% Discipline Priest 16.4% Restoration Shaman - 11.9% Holy Priest - 9.3% Holy Paladin - 7.0% Preservation Evoker - 4.8%
    • By Staff
      A Hunter player had their account suspended because of their pet's default name.
      For some reason, the account was reported and suspended because the pet was named "Carrion Bird". What's both hilarious and unfortunate is that the player didn't even choose the name; it's the default name given in the game when you tame the pet.
      Hopefully, the ban will get overturned, since it's probably automated and unintended.