FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

The Mysterious Jailer is the Main Villain in Shadowlands

UYoTQ6d.jpg

Sylvanas Windrunner is serving the Jailer in Shadowlands, but who exactly is this mysterious creature?

Check out our BlizzCon 2019 Content Hub for more details!

To understand the concept of Shadowlands, we must first talk about Anima, which is the driving force (blood) of Shadowlands. Normally, souls cross the veil between life and death and are brought before the Arbiter who determines, based on the amount of Anima a soul bears, to which realm the soul gets routed to.

With the destruction of the Helm of Domination, Sylvanas Windrunner broke the machine of death, causing souls to be poured directly into the Maw, where the mysterious creature known as the Jailer resides. As a result, Shadowlands are starved of Anima and wither.

lol.JPG.06e50c0e029e9ac25b5120ec0592d7cd

The Maw is an endgame zone in Shadowlands and the only one realm without a Covenant (ruler). We learned that the Jailer will be the main antagonist of the expansion. She made a pact with him around the time of the Edge of Night after the Lich King has been defeated.

Maw_Postcard.jpg

The short story deals with Sylvanas throwing herself down Icecrown Citadel only to be resurrected by the Val'kyr later on, with whom she made a sister pact.

"Sylvanas' actions in Battle for Azeroth were calculated to cause the most death possible."

Game Director Ion Hazzikostas (Source)

According to Ion, Sylvanas' actions were carefully planned, so that she could funnel souls directly into the Maw which caused her powers to grow exponentially. She now wields newfound powers of death, as portrayed in the War Campaign finale, where she killed Saufang in the blink of an eye.

image.png

In Shadowlands, we're going to learn more about Sylvanas' motives and her "master"...

But, who exactly is this Jailer? The only thing we know is that it's a character that we haven't encountered yet (not Arthas) and he's also probably behind naming Windrunner Warchief. Could it be Mueh'zala?

maw.jpg

Il'gynoth returns in Patch 8.3 with a set of new whispers, one of them refers to Mueh'zala, also known as "The Father of Sleep".

"Before the last shadow falls, the father of sleep shall savor his feast."

Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

I wonder if Void Lords are going to appear in this expansion or we will have to wait for the next one. It appears Sylvanas attempts to use this Jailer and death-related powers to defeat them, as Void Lords are clearly afraid of her. All of that anima gathered for one purpose, while Shadowlands are being sacrificed as a result. Sounds quite a lot like Illidan.

9 minutes ago, Dumonde said:

Sylvanas has no master. She is her own master.

(Clearly stated at Blizzcon.)

Do you think she'll be the Azshara/Gul'dan of the expansion or more like Illidan?

22 minutes ago, Stan said:

Do you think she'll be the Azshara/Gul'dan of the expansion or more like Illidan?

Well.

Azshara and Gul´Dan were both only servants - Ilidan wasn´t.

She won´t be like anyone else, she is something else. If I am right and her plan is

to become death itself (herself).. All will serve her in the end, which gives her final loyalist statement

a complete new meaning.

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

Maybe neither. I like her chaotic neutral character - sometimes people believe she's good, sometimes that she's evil, but ultimately she has her own selfish goals, it's just difficult for mortals to see them. But she surely wouldn't sacrifice herself for Azeroth - that's not how she rolls. Yet, if she would be simply seeking power - she already possesses Xal'atath, she coulda have wielded the Scourge-control helm - I think that would be already enough to wipe Azeroth for someone with that tacitcal sense, so that's a no either. Sylvanas doesn't kills for the thrill of the hunt - others just happen to be in her way.

Arthas 2.0 Jailor *Cough* I mean Lich King. Remember that one time she attacked the Valkyrie in Storm-Peak? Garrosh 2.0 - Blizzard is running out of ideas. They're like if we scrap past ideas and mash them together we profit!

16 hours ago, Varrick said:

Arthas 2.0 Jailor *Cough* I mean Lich King. Remember that one time she attacked the Valkyrie in Storm-Peak? Garrosh 2.0 - Blizzard is running out of ideas. They're like if we scrap past ideas and mash them together we profit!

A bit of a stretch there... I actually think the driving narrative behind Shadowlands is fresh and compelling. Sylvanas isn't serving anyone, she found a partner in the Jailer. Whether the two will attempt to betray each other has yet to be seen.

Uncommon Patron
45 minutes ago, durdyenglish said:

A bit of a stretch there... I actually think the driving narrative behind Shadowlands is fresh and compelling. Sylvanas isn't serving anyone, she found a partner in the Jailer. Whether the two will attempt to betray each other has yet to be seen.

I think betrayal is pretty much a given unless we kill them before they betray one another.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      Datamined broadcast text from the latest Dragonflight Alpha Build 44999 reveals the fate of two notable lore characters in Dragonflight. This post contains spoilers.
      The broadcast text is a conversation between Tyrande and Malfurion about Ysera. The Green Dragonflight needs Ysera back, so they will resurrect her… at a cost. Malfurion switches places with Ysera in Ardenweald.
      Tyrande Whisperwind: Ysera, your flight needs you.
      Tyrande Whisperwind: We need you.
      Tyrande Whisperwind: Whatever the price may be for your return to Azeroth, name it.
      Malfurion: Tyrande...
      Malfurion: Ohn...ahra... I am sorry.
      Tyrande Whisperwind: Tell us!
      Malfurion: It's me.
      Malfurion: I must be the one to stay.
      Tyrande Whisperwind: What?
      Malfurion: Ysera knows this -- though she would never ask it of me.
      Tyrande Whisperwind: No.
      Tyrande Whisperwind: Pathetic.
      Tyrande Whisperwind: We will find another way.
      Malfurion Stormrage: When she gave her life for mine in Val'sharah, it was not her time.
      Malfurion Stormrage: And now... the balance may be restored.
      Tyrande Whisperwind: Then... then I will stay as well.
      Tyrande Whisperwind: Shandris and the others can...
      Malfurion Stormrage: Tyrande...
      Malfurion Stormrage: Should everything we hope come to pass, the Kaldorei will need you.
      Tyrande Whisperwind: I am so tired, Malfurion.
      Tyrande Whisperwind: Do not ask this of me.
      Tyrande Whisperwind: After everything we have endured...
      Malfurion Stormrage: My love.
      Malfurion Stormrage: You have always been the strength of our people.
      Malfurion Stormrage: They will follow you ever onward, and you will never be alone.
      Tyrande Whisperwind: Until I see you again...
      Tyrande Whisperwind: I will dream of the night we may truly rest... together.
    • By Stan
      The latest Dragonflight Alpha Build 44999 adds new Monk talents that will be implemented next week when the class is overhauled.
      Some talents may be listed under the wrong specialization.
      General Monk Talents (Shared Between All Specs)
      Ancient Teachings of the Monastery - After casting Essence Font, your Tiger Palm, Blackout Kick, and Rising Sun Kick heal an injured ally within 20 yards for 250% of the damage done. Lasts 15 sec. Attenuation - Bonedust Brew's Shadow damage or healing is increased by 20.0%, and when Bonedust Brew deals Shadow damage or healing, its cooldown is reduced by 0.5 sec. Bountiful Brew - Your abilities have a low chance to cast Bonedust Brew at your target's location. Weapons of Order (Covenant Ability is back as a talent in the Monk class tree) Brewmaster: For the next 30 sec, your Mastery is increased by 10%. Additionally, Keg Smash cooldown is reset instantly and enemies hit by Keg Smash take 8% increased damage from you for 10 sec, stacking up to 4 times. Windwalker: For the next 30 sec, your Mastery is increased by 12.5%. Additionally, Rising Sun Kick reduces Chi costs by 1 for 5 sec, and Blackout Kick reduces the cooldown of affected abilities by an additional 1 sec. Mistweaver: For the next 30 sec, your Mastery is increased by 42%. Additionally, Essence Font cooldown is reset instantly and heals up to 6 nearby allies for (40% of Spell Power) health on channel start and end.  Brewmaster Monk Talents
      Anvil & Stave - Each time you dodge or an enemy misses you, the remaining cooldown on your Brews is reduced by 0.5 sec. Charred Passions - Your Breath of Fire ignites your right leg in flame for 8 sec, causing your Blackout Kick and Spinning Crane Kick to deal 100% additional damage as Fire damage and refresh the duration of your Breath of Fire on the target. Dragonfire Brew - After using Breath of Fire, you breathe fire 2 additional times, each dealing [ 2 + 13.23% of Attack Power ] Fire damage. Increases the duration of Breath of Fire by 100%. Elusive Footwork - Blackout Strike deals an additional 0 damage. Blackout Strike critical hits grant an additional 1 stack of Elusive Brawler. Fundamental Observation - Zen Meditation has 25% reduced cooldown and is no longer cancelled when you move or when you are hit by melee attacks. Staggering Strikes - When you Blackout Kick, your Stagger is reduced by 0. Walk with the Ox - Abilities that grant Shuffle reduce the cooldown on Invoke Niuzao, the Black Ox by 0.5 sec, and Niuzao's Stomp deals an additional 10.0% damage. Windwalker Monk Talents
      Fluidity of Motion - Blackout Kick's cooldown is reduced by 1 sec and its damage by 10%. Graceful Exit - Blackout Kick's cooldown is reduced by 1 sec and its damage by 10%. Shadowboxing Treads - Blackout Kick damage increased by 20% and strikes an additional 2 targets. Mistweaver Monk Talents
      Clouded Focus - Healing with Enveloping Mists or Vivify while channeling Soothing Mists increases their healing done by 20% and reduces their mana cost by 20%. Stacks up to 3 times. When your Soothing Mists channel ends, this effect is cancelled. Jade Bond - Abilities that activate Gust of Mist reduce the cooldown on Invoke Yul'on, the Jade Serpent by 0.3 sec, and Yu'lon's Soothing Breath healing is increased by 12.0%. Nourishing Chi - Life Cocoon increases healing over time received by an additional 20.0%, and this effect lingers for an additional 10 sec after the cocoon is removed. Renewing Mist - Surrounds the target with healing mists, restoring [ 225% of Spell Power ] health over 20 sec. If Renewing Mist heals a target past maximum health, it will travel to another injured ally within 20 yds. Resplendent Mist - Gust of Mists has a 30% chance to do 100.0% more healing. Tear of Morning - Casting Vivify or Enveloping Mist on a target with Renewing Mist has a 10% chance to spread the Renewing Mist to another target. Your Vivify healing through Renewing Mist is increased by 20% and your Enveloping Mist also heals allies with Renewing Mist for 20% of its healing. Strength of Spirit - Expel Harm's healing is increased by up to 200%, based on your missing health. Yu'lon's Whisper - Activating Thunder Focus Tea causes you to exhale the breath of Yu'lon, healing up to 6 allies within 15 yards for [ 180% of Spell Power ] over 2 sec.
    • By Stan
      Blizzard added a Covenant Ability for Dracthyr Evokers in the latest Dragonflight Alpha build.
      Evokers will be available in the Shadowlands pre-patch for those who pre-order Dragonflight. The class didn't exist before, so they had to add a new Covenant Ability for Evokers. It's called Boon of the Covenants and it restores health and increases Versatility for 12 seconds. The passive component increases all damage and healing by 4%.
      Boon of the Covenants - restoring [ 600% of Spell Power ] health and increasing your Versatility by 10% for 12 sec.

Passive: The Covenants have granted you a portion of their power, increasing your damage and healing by 4.0%.
      (Instant cast, 2 min cooldown)
    • By Stan
      The Archaeology quest for Spirit of Eche'ro is now available on live servers for the next 2 weeks! Don't forget to get the mount before it's gone for another 6 months!
      How to Get the Spirit of Eche'ro Mount
      1. Head to Dalaran and talk to the Archaeology Trainer to receive The Right Path quest where you are sent to Thunder Totem in Highmountain to collect Bone Fragment of Eche'ro for the Spirit of Eche'ro mount. Note that the quest is available only once every six months, so don't forget to complete it before it's gone!
      2. Download MapCoords or some other addons that displays coordinates on the world map.
      3. Teleport to Azsuna from the Stormwind/Orgrimmar Portal Room or use your Dalaran Hearthstone to reach Dalaran.
      4. Go to 41,26 find Dariness the Learned and learn Archaeology if you already haven't.
      5. Accept The Right Path quest from the Archaeology Trainer and fly to Thunder Totem in Highmountain.
      6. Talk to Lessah Moonwater to accept Laying to Rest. For the quest, you must collect 600 Bone Fragments of Eche'ro by rotating between four digsites located in Highmountain. The exact location is outlined below.
      Digsite 1: Darkfeather Valley (50, 44) Digsite 2: Dragon's Falls (58, 72) Digsite 3: Path of Huin (44, 72) Digsite 4: Whitewater Wash (39, 65) Spirit of Eche'ro
      "The spirit of Huln Highmountain's pet moose."

Hurry up! You only have until August 23, 2022 to get the mount!
    • By Stan
      You no longer need to be in a rested area to change talents in Dragonflight. The only requirement is being out of combat.
      Blizzard made some changes to how talents and loadouts work in the latest Alpha update. We went to check it out in-game. Changing your specialization incurs a cast of around 5 seconds, the same as on live servers, but you can now change your spec anywhere in the open world.

Changing loadouts (pre-saved talent builds) also has a short cast time, most likely to prevent players from switching between builds too fast.

It's worth noting you cannot switch your spec/loadout during an active RBG or Mythic+ dungeon.