FORUMS
Damien

Hearthstone Arena Guide

Guest Zac

Just tried a Warlock Aren (Because according to the guide, out of the choices i had, the warlock was better)Followed the card guide on the choices of cards and came out with a 1-3 ratio... bad luck on cards maybe? But Arena is totally not worth what I put into it... 

Obviously we can't play the game for you, having the right cards is helpful, but it's only part of the battle. You also have to play well in order to get good results.

• Like 1

Guest Zemonplazmos

This is a thoroughly informative, great guide.

That said, if you are a new coming player, you should nowadays avoid arena like plague. You have minimal chance to draftva competitive deck even using the charts and even less chance of playing it properly. Just buy a standard deck and compete in ranked to boost your chest. Give arena a wide berth - it's 100% not worth for you.

I'm not sure why you say that, you have just as much chance as anyone else to draft a decent deck, especially if you're using good resources to assist you. Good players will still generally draft better ones since they can make the intuitive decisions that guides like this can't teach you, but you can still get a deck good enough to make a profit on your gold.

Guest Idontmeantobejerkbut

Well that was still 2 weeks ago and TGT have been out for quite sometime... We get you're a one-man operation. You take the time to state that every other post. Just saying you have quite a few people looking to you since you put yourself out there as a help to others, you updated the database but can't take 10 mins to update a few sentences about TGT on this one last page... yikes. You're still pulling in the cash for the advertising, least you could do is follow through with updates. I had shut off Adblocker because you kindly had asked to not run it on your site so you can keep it going, well if you're not updating, why should you get paid for me to visit? Bummer

Okay lets deal with some misconceptions here.

"Take 10 minutes just writing a few sentences"

No. That's sloppy work. You can find that in a million other places. Here's what I actually have to do. Stop playing Constructed for a long enough time to play a significant amount of Arenas, things that take 2-3 hours each, this means I have to take time out from testing Constructed decks, as well as miss tournaments, casting, team practice, coaching, and everything else that I do in Hearthstone (and you know, all that other pesky stuff in real life that doesn't involves Hearthstone). And i'm talking 20+ Arenas here as a bare minimum. So your 10 minutes is more like 40 hours+.

Then once I feel like I have a good grip on the new Arena meta, then and only then, do I feel I can put something worthwhile down into the guide.

"If you're not going to update"

I am updating, regularly. What i'm not doing is updating the one specific thing on the site that you want me to. Sorry about that.

"We get you're a one-man operation. You take the time to state that every other post."

1277 posts to date. You're welcome to take a look through all of them and count the amount of times I say that and come back with a more accurate ratio. Since you clearly have all the time in the world, much like everyone else does, this should be no problem for you.

"I had shut off Adblocker because you kindly had asked to not run it on your site so you can keep it going, well if you're not updating, why should you get paid for me to visit? Bummer"

I appreciate you shutting off Adblock, I really do. But that act alone just not entitle you to demand I drop everything else I work on and focus on the one thing you want.

"Idontmeantobejerkbut"

Yeah, says it all really.

This guide says for paladin that Murloc Knight is an absolute powerhouse, but the tier guide rates it only as above average. So should I prioritise that pick or not?

Absolutely. It is tier 1-2 card and is indeed, "an absolute powerhouse". Sottle said that the value is great and that he underrated the card and that he will move it later. Apparently he forgot about it. Nonetheless, this card is super strong.

Guest Jeremiah

Edit: If you're interested in a current Hero tier list for Arena, I think it goes like this.

A: Mage, Paladin

B: Rogue, Warlock, Priest

C: Shaman, Warrior

D: Druid, Hunter

This list is either outdated or wrong currently (Nov. 2015). Right now it's:

A) Paladin 

cool.png Mage, Rogue 

C) Priest, Warlock, Shaman, Druid

D) Warrior, Hunter

Lots of luck of course, but it's hard to have a bad Paladin draft. Very easy to have a terrible Warrior or Hunter draft though and wind up with a deck that will get 0-2 wins.

A) Paladin 

cool.png Mage, Rogue 

D) Warrior, Hunter

Lots of luck of course, but it's hard to have a bad Paladin draft. Very easy to have a terrible Warrior or Hunter draft though and wind up with a deck that will get 0-2 wins.

I will be using heartharena and hearthstats as my source. Also, I will split them to 4 categories instead.

Rogue has about the same winrate as Paladin, putting them both at tier 1, having over 5 average wins.

Mage is fine at tier 2, sitting there Druid and Shaman. Druid and Shaman got really nice cards from TGT whereas Mage got mostly bad cards. They all have the average of 4.5+ wins.

Warlock got average cards, but also got Demonfuse and that thing haunts me every draft. Hunter got some nice cards, too, but nothing extra. They both have 4+ wins.

And of course, Priest and Warrior got seriously screwed over by TGT. As AWDCTA says, #ArenaWarriorsMatter.

Nonetheless, I agree it is outdated. But of course, even if it gets updated now, it will be up to date for only 2 days.

Edit: If you're interested in a current Hero tier list for Arena, I think it goes like this.

A: Mage, Paladin

B: Rogue, Warlock, Priest

C: Shaman, Warrior

D: Druid, Hunter

A) Paladin 

cool.png Mage, Rogue 

D) Warrior, Hunter

The tierlist has been updated recently and I stand by the ordering, Hunter is in no world bottom tier, that's completely ridiculous. You can get a decent winrate with really poor quality cards if you understand the ability to race, it's an aggressive Tempo class, you don't need high quality cards to gain value over time, you just need to gain board once and then race.

Am I the only one who gets frustrated trying to play arena? My best run is a 3-3. Most of the time I only go 1-3. I spend about an hour using the information on here to pick what I think will make a good deck. I spend twice as long as my opponent in the match trying to figure out the best play. Then I get crushed again and again. Also, getting a random expansion card pack makes it feel even less worthwhile.

Am I the only one who gets frustrated trying to play arena? My best run is a 3-3. Most of the time I only go 1-3. I spend about an hour using the information on here to pick what I think will make a good deck. I spend twice as long as my opponent in the match trying to figure out the best play. Then I get crushed again and again. Also, getting a random expansion card pack makes it feel even less worthwhile.

The only way to get better at arena is to keep playing the game. When I was new at the game, I used to get 3 wins on average and now I am at average of 6.3 and still have a lot of room for improvement. Also, it doesn't really matter which expansion you get since cards of all expansion are used and in the end, you can dust those cards.

Guest SHadow909L

I don't want to be the guy who complains, but I am just wondering if there is something I'm missing. I've read this guide, and over the course of the week saved up the gold to enter the arena, then chosen a hero and followed the spreadsheet to the letter...only to walk away with not a single win at the end of the week.

I'm not expecting to be crowned champ, but after three entries, I have not gotten a single win and I've been following the advice on here as carefully as possible.

I get there is a luck factor but am I missing something? Its frustrating to feel confident and like you understand the game only to have it all come back in your face...

I don't want to be the guy who complains, but I am just wondering if there is something I'm missing. I've read this guide, and over the course of the week saved up the gold to enter the arena, then chosen a hero and followed the spreadsheet to the letter...only to walk away with not a single win at the end of the week.

I'm not expecting to be crowned champ, but after three entries, I have not gotten a single win and I've been following the advice on here as carefully as possible.

I get there is a luck factor but am I missing something? Its frustrating to feel confident and like you understand the game only to have it all come back in your face...

Arena is much harder than constructed and i believe that is the main reason. I recommend watching Trump, L0rinda, or some other arena streamers or youtube videos and think about what you would do before they make the play and then see if they played differently than you. This will help you see if your skill is high enough to constantly stay above 3 wins.

Working on an update for Whispers of the Old Gods?

If you mean spreadsheets, they are already updated. If you mean hero tier list, I recommend you to use hearthstats as a source of winrates, even though it shows only top 5.

Working on an update for Whispers of the Old Gods?

It will come yes. Standard Constructed decks are priority #1 right now though.