FORUMS
Blainie

LoD Hydra Wizard

Guest Puch

What's the reasoning behind the Swamp Land Waders? Is it only for the extra fire damage boost? I didn't see a blurb on it in the Gear portion of the guide so I was wondering if there were other alternatives.

Guest Guy

2nd on swamp land waders. its a WD only drop so makes no sense in this build.

On 3/14/2020 at 7:44 PM, Guest Puch said:

What's the reasoning behind the Swamp Land Waders? Is it only for the extra fire damage boost? I didn't see a blurb on it in the Gear portion of the guide so I was wondering if there were other alternatives.

7 hours ago, Guest Guy said:

2nd on swamp land waders. its a WD only drop so makes no sense in this build.

It's only for the fire damage increase, yes. The reasoning behind it is, that there are no pants in the game that increase damage output except for primary skills, and and it's BiS for any LoD build that does not rely on Primary skills. Any well rolled ancient Pants are good alternative. Also, leveling up a witch Doctor to 50 for the pants to gamble at kadala is miniscule compared to the dedication a full ancient LoD gear requires. 

At paragon 669, LoD gem level 68 with 5 ancients I'm getting owned at GR 80 while the typhon hydra build pretty much cruises through GR 95 so far. Am I correct in concluding this build only works with all ancients and a maxed out LoD gem?

I'm working on this build right now, and it's a great starting place. I have a few ideas though, and I'd like to hear what you think of them.

Passives: It's not taking advantage of the Season 20 buff at all. Since we're using the Magistrate, it's a good place to use Rimeheart. With that hat and the Hydras constantly freezing targets over and over, this is a good time to break it out. Maybe drop the Stone Gauntlets passive in place for it. As for Halo of Karini, that's a very solid defensive option. I wouldn't recommend changing it, but if you really want to go for 3/3 weapon slots, The Furnace is always a winner.

Amulet: There is *ALOT* of fire on the ground. It makes it hard to tell apart what your Hydras are doing vs. what elite packs are trying to do to you. Squirt's Necklace comes with both punch and vulnerability. Trade it out for
The Star of Azkaranth as a possible alternative?

One question I have is how are you keeping your mana built up? Right now I have all my powers set to fire-runes to get the best use out of Cindercoat. (Haven't found the Aquila Cuirass yet). I was considering changing out the Witching Hour for Hergbrash's Binding to stay fully charged. (Again, still looking for both items anyways). As a consequence, I'm not using the Elemental Exposure skill passive just yet.

I have a couple other thoughts, but I want to play the build more before I go on with them. So far I have it about half assembled and I'm already ripping through T10!

Edited by Razorback
Text color error. A good chunk was black-on-black.

On 3/22/2020 at 12:39 AM, Razorback said:

I'm working on this build right now, and it's a great starting place. I have a few ideas though, and I'd like to hear what you think of them.

Passives: It's not taking advantage of the Season 20 buff at all. Since we're using the Magistrate, it's a good place to use Rimeheart. With that hat and the Hydras constantly freezing targets over and over, this is a good time to break it out. Maybe drop the Stone Gauntlets passive in place for it. As for Halo of Karini, that's a very solid defensive option. I wouldn't recommend changing it, but if you really want to go for 3/3 weapon slots, The Furnace is always a winner.

Amulet: There is *ALOT* of fire on the ground. It makes it hard to tell apart what your Hydras are doing vs. what elite packs are trying to do to you. Squirt's Necklace comes with both punch and vulnerability. Trade it out for
The Star of Azkaranth as a possible alternative?

One question I have is how are you keeping your mana built up? Right now I have all my powers set to fire-runes to get the best use out of Cindercoat. (Haven't found the Aquila Cuirass yet). I was considering changing out the Witching Hour for Hergbrash's Binding to stay fully charged. (Again, still looking for both items anyways). As a consequence, I'm not using the Elemental Exposure skill passive just yet.

I have a couple other thoughts, but I want to play the build more before I go on with them. So far I have it about half assembled and I'm already ripping through T10!

"Mana" is built up by Arcane Torrent - Static discharge (which hits lots of enemies) and rolling Arcane Power on Crit on the off hand. 

Guest Choup

Hello,

I have two questions regarding this pretty cool set-up:

• at start, before gr100, isn't Bane of the powerful better than Enforcer ? You get +35% to elite on all of your spells which is more than the enforcer, of the bane of the powerful does apply only to your damage and not the one of your hydras?
  • I don't understand why you go with a 4 different elements spec and not a simple full fire spec, with fire disintegrate and a fire black hole? This would allow to wear 3-4 +fire items and be better I would say

Thanks for inputs :)

Choup

On 3/21/2020 at 8:41 PM, Mefisto said:

At paragon 669, LoD gem level 68 with 5 ancients I'm getting owned at GR 80 while the typhon hydra build pretty much cruises through GR 95 so far. Am I correct in concluding this build only works with all ancients and a maxed out LoD gem?

Well, i am no expert in any sense on this, but i can give you feedback on my playing by now with this build. I switched very early in the season to this build (my third or forth gem was the LoD gem) and it worked quite well from the start. 

As far i experienced and felt this build, you dont need any ancients legendarys to start playing this build. Just have "normal" legendarys and hope to get the right ones with good effects (the ones recommendes in this guide). I have just one ancient by now (some random legs bc the recommended ones are not that easy to obtain for a casual player). In fact i started playing with the LoD effect from gr 20 on and i am now at gr 93 and the dmg und mitigation is superb in my feeling.

Most important in my opinion are for dmg the items which boosts hydra (including Tasker and Theos hands!) and for defense the ring and the chest. But i think dmg will be overwhelming at the start nevertheless bc of LoD bonus. Later the multiplyers by channeling will be very important and leveling the gems of course.

Remember this is all written by a casual amateur player, but i think this relates to many people having the same question or experience like you and me.

Just equip the LoD gem and all legendary with reasonable good effects and this will push you quite far in GR i think. Worked for me and i am playing maybe 1 hour a day. This should be a very competitive build for more dedicated players.

greetings

On 3/18/2020 at 12:02 AM, Yolo said:

It's only for the fire damage increase, yes. The reasoning behind it is, that there are no pants in the game that increase damage output except for primary skills, and and it's BiS for any LoD build that does not rely on Primary skills. Any well rolled ancient Pants are good alternative. Also, leveling up a witch Doctor to 50 for the pants to gamble at kadala is miniscule compared to the dedication a full ancient LoD gear requires. 

+Fire skill dmg is not even listed as an option under Stat Priority...