FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Shazwozza

Recording raids?

Hi Guys,

I want to start recording the footage of my guilds raiding.

I've done a bit of research and tried using FRAPS but didnt really like it.

Just wondering what everyone else is using?

Cheers,

Shaz

We use FRAPS to record our videos and I'm not sure there's any alternative.

What made you not like it?

Not sure, it just didn't do it for me overall...

I play in 1080p all the time but the video came out very grainy. I guess i should just spend more time tweaking the settings.

You guys make good videos so I must just be doing something wrong.

Thanks Damien!

Thanks Scattering for the suggestion. The reason why we went for FRAPS is because it is what everyone seems to be using.

As DXTory mentions on their page, the bottleneck when recording videos hard drive traffic. So the first thing to do is to record the video on a different hard drive than the one where your system or WoW is installed.

As for the settings, our videos are recorded with all the settings at the maximum in 1920x1080. We're recording at 29.97 FPS, so the computer needs to be fast enough to never drop under this FPS value, otherwise the video will look like you are lagging.

I'm not sure how exactly FRAPS works but it does not just copy your video/sound output to a video file, it also encodes and compresses it a bit. That needs processing power and my guess is that if your computer is not powerful enough to both run the game and let FRAPS do all this work, then FRAPS will do a bad job at encoding your movie in a proper quality.

Try to record a video in a building. Ideally, use the low level dungeons in Orgrimmar and Stormwind, you should be able to get max DPS easily there. If that still doesn't work, try the lowest possible settings and see if the video then looks the same as in the game. If that is the case, then increase the settings bit by bit and see until where you can go.

• Like 1

Question: Where are these alleged "Icy-Vein's" videos? I have never seen one on this site before, though people have told me there is and apparently according to this post, there are.

Question: Where are these alleged "Icy-Vein's" videos? I have never seen one on this site before, though people have told me there is and apparently according to this post, there are.

We have only recently gotten started on videos. We released two short videos to ask for feedback and test the quality of what we could do (check http://www.youtube.com/icyveinscom). We're planning to release dungeon and raid videos for Mists of Pandaria. I'm not sure how much we're going to manage to do before the expansion is released. Getting the written guides out is already a lot of work.

• Like 1

We have only recently gotten started on videos. We released two short videos to ask for feedback and test the quality of what we could do (check http://www.youtube.com/icyveinscom). We're planning to release dungeon and raid videos for Mists of Pandaria. I'm not sure how much we're going to manage to do before the expansion is released. Getting the written guides out is already a lot of work.

The guides do look like A LOT of work and I love having your option because of how much detail you guys put into them. I am not a raid leader, but I love to know everything that is going on in the raid and what every class/role is suppose to be doing for the encounter, which in turn helps me lead alt raids later in the expansion.

If you make boss videos, I will definitely watch them and probably recommend them when I'm helping other guilds progress on my alts.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I want to start recording the footage of my guilds raiding.

I've done a bit of research and tried using FRAPS but didnt really like it.

Just wondering what everyone else is using?

Cheers,

Shaz

I use Fraps to record stuff with and xSplit if I feel like streaming. Fraps is by far the best program that I've used this far tho.

i'm using fraps aswell, but i'm not 100% sure still about the settings i'm having to use.

I have in the general tab. Fraps window always on top vinked and minimize to system tray only vinked. ON FPS tab i have benchmarking settings standing at FPS and the hotkey to a key i don't use. I also have hide overlay vinked. In the Tab movies i putted to save the folder on a other page and the FPS on 25 atm also on full size, then i have split movie every 4GB's vinked and the rest of sound capture settings is unvinked. Still i'm lagging like sjit with my laptop (it's a Toshiba satellite L750D/L755D http://www.lapspecs....-l755d#graphics )when i use it on world of warcraft. Or is it my settings that are wrong somewhere or is it mayby the laptop who can't handle it. Pls someone help me Posted Image

Edited by MichaelTheys

Michael, the main problem you are going to face is that you only have one hard drive.

Also, you have a mobile CPU. If I look for it at www.cpubenchmark.net, the best CPU you can get for your model (AMD Quad-Core A8-3520M) has a score of 2383 (and you might have one of the less powerful alternatives). Mine (Intel i7-950) has a score of 6372 (and that's for the 3.07 Ghz version, mine is overclocked at 4 Ghz).

Finally, the best graphic card you can get is a AMD Radeon HD 6620G. At http://www.videocardbenchmark.net, it has a score of 470. Mine (Nvidia 470 GTX) has a score of 2968 (and that's for the normal version, mine is very much overclocked :P).

When it comes to recording high quality videos, my computer is really at the limit. The bottom line is that if you cannot run the game without ever dropping below 45 FPS, as soon as you are going to start Fraps, your FPS will plummet and this will show in the video.

Damien, thanks for the information, that's why i'm starting to test out my desktop i have i hope it's a bit better then my laptop :) badly enough i can't find the graphic cards and all that stuff instantly but i'll update this post as soon as i done it :)

Is there any good and free recording software? I just bought new computer and I am going to start recording videos and I would like to try something free first because i dont have money before next month.

Is there any good and free recording software? I just bought new computer and I am going to start recording videos and I would like to try something free first because i dont have money before next month.

The basic version of Fraps is free. It will leave a "FRAPS" mention on your videos though. The cost of the paid version is 30 euros, so it may be a good investment if you plan to release a lot of videos.

I don't know what kind of computer you bought, but the Mac version of World of Warcraft includes a video recording feature.

• Like 1

Well, before next month i wont got enough money to buy the license. How long videos you can record with the free version?

The last time I checked a very long time ago was 30 seconds. Not sure if it is any different or not. go ahead and download the free version and see how long. Won't hurt to try.