FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] Frost Mage 5.4

Guest Guest

In the gemming section, red socket, needing hit: Wicked Vermilion Onyx? I don't think so! Mages don't need Expertise. I use Veiled Imperial Amethyst!

In the gemming section, red socket, needing hit: Wicked Vermilion Onyx? I don't think so! Mages don't need Expertise. I use Veiled Imperial Amethyst!

Expertise gives hit.

Guest BWheeler

I have seen guides saying to use brilliant primordial ruby for red gems, with intellect being of high priority why is it suggested to use a different gem? Thanks.

I have seen guides saying to use brilliant primordial ruby for red gems, with intellect being of high priority why is it suggested to use a different gem? Thanks.

Depending on the class, it can be more efficient to use hybrid gems with Mastery/Haste/Crit or Exp/Hit. I expect that this is the case for Mages, but one of the Mage moderators might be able to confirm this.

Depending on the class, it can be more efficient to use hybrid gems with Mastery/Haste/Crit or Exp/Hit. I expect that this is the case for Mages, but one of the Mage moderators might be able to confirm this.

This is exactly the case. Haste has so high value, that 2 haste>1 intellect.

Guest Copper

this question goes to damien and oltier, since it seem to be pretty tricky, usually i read a lot and take my own conclusions but i am lost here... so the question is: i have the 4p bonus with my frost mage at the moment (head shoulders and hands are 561 and chest 574) yesterday i've got the shoulderpads of dou dou chong heroic, and i'm wondering if its best to use them and gain, after reforging and geming, like 6% mastery and loose the 4p bonus?

armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/ragnaros/Copperffield/advanced

new item: http://www.wowhead.com/item=104445

p.s.: sorry for my english

this question goes to damien and oltier, since it seem to be pretty tricky, usually i read a lot and take my own conclusions but i am lost here... so the question is: i have the 4p bonus with my frost mage at the moment (head shoulders and hands are 561 and chest 574) yesterday i've got the shoulderpads of dou dou chong heroic, and i'm wondering if its best to use them and gain, after reforging and geming, like 6% mastery and loose the 4p bonus?

armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/ragnaros/Copperffield/advanced

Probably a question best discussed in the Mage section of the forums.

I moved your question to this topic, please make the convorsation, there. smile.png

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/4379-guest-copper-question/?p=48899

Guest Jasper

You cant precast Flamestrike, it only work as a direct hit.

You cant precast Flamestrike, it only work as a direct hit.

What do you mean by "can't precast'.

You start casting Flamestrike: ~1.8 seconds.

1.8 seconds later, adds spawn exactly, where you PREcasted flamestrike, so you effectively just precasted it.

If you meant it in another way, please elaborate.

EDIT: I think I see where the misunderstanding comes from. It is indeed true, if the Flamestrike hits the ground before the adds spawn, it will have no effect at all. But I wouldn't consider this as a pre-cast.

Question about the 2pc for frost. Should I try and keep a FoF charge for when I can launch my Brainfreezed Bolt to use the damage increase on a FoF'd Ice Lance or should I mostly ignore the effect and let it go to Frostbolt if it so happens?

Scenario1: You have 1 BF 2 FoF procs. Rotation: use up BF, then one FoF. Keep the other one for another BF if it might proc.

Scenario2: You have 1 BF 1 FoF: Use up BF, then FoF

Scenario3: You ahve 0 BF 2 FoF: Use up 1 FoF wait for a BF.

Scenario4: You have 0 BF 1 FoF: Wait for BF

In All scenarios, if BF is procced immediately after you used your previous BF, cast BF again.

The world won't collapse if you use Frozen thoughts on a Frostbolt, but it will increase the damage benefit of it used on a FoF IL is higher than on a single FB that might or might not crit.

Guest Stormbringer

In the presence of mind/frostbolt macro if you can disable the error sound just for this macro:

#showtooltip Frostbolt
/script UIErrorsFrame:Hide()
/run SetCVar("Sound_EnableSFX","0")
/cast Presence of Mind
/run SetCVar("Sound_EnableSFX","1")
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
/script UIErrorsFrame:Show()
/cast Frostbolt
/cast Freeze

Guest that mage

it says frost armour is the only choice this is wrong  if u can cap haste ( including raid bounus ) fire armour gave me 60k bounes to damage in dps as is was hitting hard and fast and criting 45% of the time ( note this only work in the very high gear stages end normal and in HC so i found )

it says frost armour is the only choice this is wrong  if u can cap haste ( including raid bounus ) fire armour gave me 60k bounes to damage in dps as is was hitting hard and fast and criting 45% of the time ( note this only work in the very high gear stages end normal and in HC so i found )

In this case, you are still better off using Frost Armor because it gives you 7% haste, as opposed to the 5% crit from Molten Armor. Then, simply reforge the extra haste it gives you into either crit (if you are not at the cap) or mastery.

• Like 1

I'd suggest you reading out class forum for more theorycrafting regarding this. :)

Guest madcowcancer

mages dont use expertise. the gem guide is messed up.

mages dont use expertise. the gem guide is messed up.

They do, and they have since the MoP pre-patch, which was released on the 28th of August 2012 tongue.png Expertise Rating is converted into Hit Rating, for casters. Strictly speaking, Expertise Rating counts for reducing your chance to miss against mobs, so your chance to miss against a particular mob is always reduced by (Expertise Rating + Hit Rating) / 340.

I skimmed through this thread to see if it has already been mentioned, but I couldn't find anything.  I feel like something should be included in the rotation section of the frost guide regarding our 2pc set bonus for tier 16.  For example, explaining the DPS gain that comes from using the 2pc buff (Frozen Thoughts) on FoF charges instead of frostbolts.  Maybe also explaining the synergism that exists between glyph of CoC and the 2pc bonus for some HUGE cone of cold hits when burst AOE is needed.

Thought I would share my two cents and try to contribute something that may be useful to this wonderful guide! 

I skimmed through this thread to see if it has already been mentioned, but I couldn't find anything.  I feel like something should be included in the rotation section of the frost guide regarding our 2pc set bonus for tier 16.  For example, explaining the DPS gain that comes from using the 2pc buff (Frozen Thoughts) on FoF charges instead of frostbolts.  Maybe also explaining the synergism that exists between glyph of CoC and the 2pc bonus for some HUGE cone of cold hits when burst AOE is needed.

Thought I would share my two cents and try to contribute something that may be useful to this wonderful guide! 

Unfortunately, we cannot assume that everybody has the 2pc set bonus for tier 16 and including such information for these people would be misleading. (Just as I have explained this to you in your FoF pooling topic)

@Oltier

However you do have a section assuming someone has the 2pac for Arcane.
To be honest I was also surprised that there was no mention of FoF pooling in the Mastering your Frost Mage section.
I do understand why you don't put it in the priority list, but imo it at least deserves a place further in the guide :)
CHeers
berlinia

Question regarding FoF procs.

What triggers the proc? Is it FB/FFB cast or the actual damage event, aka does it proc when the cast leaves my hand or when it lands on the boss's face? I've been trying to keep an eye on this myself, but I haven't managed to get to a solid conclusion.

ability_mage_wintersgrasp.jpgFingers of Frost

Most likely when the spell "Hit"s the target. That is one major reason for at least having reaching hit cap.

EDIT: Tested on training dummy. Procs when you finished your cast.

Edited by Archimage

Sign in to follow this