FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] Discipline Priest 5.4

Guest Myrabel

Hi,

Isn't Thok's acid tooth heroic warforged missing from the list?

Cheers

Guest Guest

"The Penance macro should be on a different keybind from the normal, healing Penance."
 I'm not that very good with macros but i try to make mouseover macros for all my healing wspells using what i got from icy-veins. how would i make a macro that would use penance on what ever i am moused over>mytarget>me?   i want the mouseovers to do what ever i mouse over, not just enemies, or just allies.

#showtooltip
/use [@mouseover, exists][@target, exists][@player] Penance

Try that. I haven't tried it personally, I just typed it up thinking it might work.

Please report back to me of it does or not, though I'm sure I've seen a macro that you're looking for that might be a little less complex than this, but I think my this will do the job well.

EDIT: I fixed it after some testing.  This works

Guest Aeg

Purified Bindings doesn't proc for us, unless we use melee attacks. Please don't roll for this trinket, unless you plan on using it for your shadow spec.

Guest Sympathy

Hi guys,

Thanks for this guide which helped me a lot get back on tracks after a long break.

Still I was wondering :

Haste generally has a low priority for Discipline Priests because so many Discipline Priest spells are instant cast and therefore do not really benefit from it.

Maybe I missed something but appart from the PW:S and PoM (and Holy Fire and Renew) I believe all disc spells are either cast or channelled and may benefit from haste. I am missing some point here?

wow_icon_spell_holy_prayerofhealing02.jp Prayer of Healing is ineffective if the raid is spread out too much, so as a replacement you can use wow_icon_spell_holy_blindingheal.jpg Binding Heal with wow_icon_inv_glyph_majorpriest.jpg Glyph of Binding Heal.

From my understanding the PoH heals in a 30y range around the targeted player were the BH only reached 20y.

What is the logic behind this quote?

Btw do you know if Grid or any other heal addon takes that range into consideration when displaying incoming heals? It can sometims be tricky to know if people within a group are close enough. I personnaly sometime use PoH to heal people that are out of my range but within 30y of my target.

Last one!  Considering a 530/530+ ilvl disc priest (that does not intend to play Holy!) would you consider getting the DPS Timeless Isle Trinket  inv_pet_jadeserpentpet.jpgYu'lon's Bite instead of the healer one inv_pet_cranegod.jpgContemplation of Chi-Ji?

Thanks,

Sympathy

Hi guys,

Thanks for this guide which helped me a lot get back on tracks after a long break.

Still I was wondering :

Maybe I missed something but appart from the PW:S and PoM (and Holy Fire and Renew) I believe all disc spells are either cast or channelled and may benefit from haste. I am missing some point here?

From my understanding the PoH heals in a 30y range around the targeted player were the BH only reached 20y.

What is the logic behind this quote?

Btw do you know if Grid or any other heal addon takes that range into consideration when displaying incoming heals? It can sometims be tricky to know if people within a group are close enough. I personnaly sometime use PoH to heal people that are out of my range but within 30y of my target.

Last one!  Considering a 530/530+ ilvl disc priest (that does not intend to play Holy!) would you consider getting the DPS Timeless Isle Trinket  inv_pet_jadeserpentpet.jpgYu'lon's Bite instead of the healer one inv_pet_cranegod.jpgContemplation of Chi-Ji?

Thanks,

Sympathy

The point is that PW:S is often a large portion of your healing, and wouldn't be affected by Haste, where as every single spell you have is affected by both Crit and Mastery.  That's even before counting PoM, or your L90 talents.  (Which, if you use Divine Star, brings the value of Haste even lower.)

The logic in Binding Heal over PoH is because of the efficiency and range issues.  Although it may seem like the same issue, you're only relying on a single person being in range of the target w/ Binding Heal, rather than all 4 targets w/ PoH.

I personally use Yu'lon's Bite and like it a LOT more than the spirit would give me in regen.  You do have to remember to proc it with Atonement whenever it's off ICD, though.

If you're spread out you should be using atonement with binding spot heals.

Most major sources of healing for discipline priests are on cooldowns. HF and PoM both have a 10 seconds cooldown. Penance has a 9 seconds cooldown. SS has a 60 seconds. Your L90 talent anything between 15 and 40 seconds.

The only spells that don't are your filler spells, BH, PoH and Smite. There is no question that these heals benefit from haste as it will allow you to cast more of em. But the question becomes how much crit and mastery that benefit all of your spells are you willing to give up to increase the healing done by your filler spells?

Edited by steve

Hey guys! Really good work on the guide. It's matching up with top end disc priesting pretty well. Thought I'd mention one little thing though. Under the glyph section, you say that all minor glyphs are cosmetic and not really useful. While this is mostly true, I believe you should mention that Glyph of the Sha takes Mindbender/Shadowfiend off the GCD, which is very very nice and makes this glyph almost mandatory. Just my two cents. Keep up the great work.

Hey guys! Really good work on the guide. It's matching up with top end disc priesting pretty well. Thought I'd mention one little thing though. Under the glyph section, you say that all minor glyphs are cosmetic and not really useful. While this is mostly true, I believe you should mention that Glyph of the Sha takes Mindbender/Shadowfiend off the GCD, which is very very nice and makes this glyph almost mandatory. Just my two cents. Keep up the great work.

Good catch; it's a pretty nice glyph for all three specs just for getting it off the GCD.

Glyph of the Sha for reference.

Guest Yoloswagpope

"Lastly, and quite importantly, remember that the healing done to you from your own Atonement is only worth 50% of the damage you deal. Therefore, you should make sure that your health is not low when you are trying to heal with Atonement. If your health is low, then you will naturally receive quite a few of the heals from your own Atonement (since it is a smart heal), which will turn it into an inefficient means of healing."

It's actually 40%. Your Atonement heals other players for 90% of your damage but reduces the heal by 50%, meaning 40% healing on yourself.

Guest Selene

Hej, the gearing part of the guide lists inv_jewelry_orgrimmarraid_trinket_07.jpgPurified Bindings of Immerseus as a possible trinket for disc. priest. Yet it's a DPS trinket and comments on wowhead seem to indicate that the trinket does not proc from Smite.

Hej, the gearing part of the guide lists inv_jewelry_orgrimmarraid_trinket_07.jpgPurified Bindings of Immerseus as a possible trinket for disc. priest. Yet it's a DPS trinket and comments on wowhead seem to indicate that the trinket does not proc from Smite.

Correct, that trink will not proc for Disc Priest.  The top part of that page is correct listing the Sha and Siegecrafter trinkets as best in slot.  Disc will still get the amplified portion of this trinket, just not the proc.  Unless of course you want to go and melee smack the target a few times but I wouldn't recommend it.

Correct, that trink will not proc for Disc Priest.  The top part of that page is correct listing the Sha and Siegecrafter trinkets as best in slot.  Disc will still get the amplified portion of this trinket, just not the proc.  Unless of course you want to go and melee smack the target a few times but I wouldn't recommend it.

I recently picked up a BBoY, and was able to get it to proc on demand by using a Shadow Word: Pain.  I know it's extremely mana inefficient, but does PBoI work the same?

SW: Pain does not proc it in Holy or Disc spec.   I have found multiple posts saying that the trinket does not proc of Pain or Wand attacks.  Must be a melee attack by a priest in Disc/Holy spec to proc.  Worst comes to it, I can try it tonight in both specs to verify.

Guest Valakivi

Whats the best Disc Trinkets for PvP right now? Arena and BGs

Whats the best Disc Trinkets for PvP right now? Arena and BGs

There is no real 'best', as there are defensive options, offensive options, and regen-based options.  What's best is going to be the trinkets that fit your style.

I would choose these for a short-term throughput/burst build.

Prideful Gladiator's Medallion of Cruelty

and

Prideful Gladiator's Badge of Dominance

SW: Pain does not proc it in Holy or Disc spec.   I have found multiple posts saying that the trinket does not proc of Pain or Wand attacks.  Must be a melee attack by a priest in Disc/Holy spec to proc.  Worst comes to it, I can try it tonight in both specs to verify.

I took it for a test run.  I could only get it to proc by stabbing the target dummies.

• Like 1

Just to be clear, is it better to be in melee or range distance for the proc? I'm always interested in other healing classes so I'd be curious on what would be better for the proc.

It's just bad for Priest.  It's only worth it as a monk healer to equip in while in heal spec.  To proc as a priest, you have to be attacking the target w/ a melee weapon.   There is no way to proc it w/ a ranged attack, wands do not proc it.

I don't see why the trinket is necessarily bad for disc priests. Even disregarding the int proc, the trinket still provides a 10% increase to your stats and most notably a similar increase to your critical heals and damage done, meaning instead of 100% of the crit will be translated into a shield, it's 120% with double amp.

Whether it's better than DSoD you'd have to math out, but it's simply wrong to call it bad.

Edited by steve

Bad might be too strong a word.  Its amplified abilities alone should be used in determining whether this trinket is less bad for a priest or not, omit the proc from your decision making.  If you have angered the RNG gods this might be your only option or even your best option.

• Like 1

On-use effects are definitely the best, but there is only one semi-decent trinket for Disc priests that is on-use in SoO and it's a tanking trinket. In its place I prefer static increases to throughput like the amp or intellect from DSoD and regen effect I don't care if they are procs other than the potential wasted mana in the start of the encounter.

A glorious hello fellow priests.
I was wondering, how come the gemming-section says to go after gems with spirit as focus and not after gems with crit as focus? 
I personally reforge away spirit on gear to either crit or mastery, depending on which the gear-piece does not have naturally, and since spirit on gear is not wanted, I neither feel it is worth aiming for it in gems.
I can understand that spirit was important to have in times before the Siegecrafter-trinket, but now it is not really needed as much, since the trinket-proc is quite insane, also we have Power Word: Solace and mindbender/shadowfiend for additonal mana.
Reason why to go for crit is as we all know and suspect, more crit grants more shields.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/darksorrow/Elenwen/advanced   link to my armory for example on what I am talking about.

Did not see any yet, but if there is an earlier post that says exactly the same thing as mine, then I apologuise. smile.png 

Sign in to follow this