FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] Mistweaver Monk 5.4

Hey guys let me first say your guides are great. however I find that they all assume that the players are lvl 90 and have all the spells and abilites etc.

i have just started a new monk and have never played a healer before and wanted a starting point guide on the best way to play. this is way to complex for a low lvl player to get anything out of it when we dont even have the spells as yet. I am sure I am not the only one who finds this no help for a starter. where do us noobs go for help Posted Image Keep up the awesome work best guides for high lvl players.

The only thing i can suggest is that you just practice a newhealing spell on yourself first a bit, see how much it heals, see when they recommend at high lvl to use that spell. and just practice in a low lvl dungeon. i'm lvling it my self atm and i just jab and black out kick as not much healing needed xD for the rest i just spam that HoT channeling spell (sorry don't know the names yet) change target when needed (no point in w8ing till the channeling is complete if the target is maxed right?) and then i just test some other spells out even if it over heals, see how much it does :)

a guide can help, but testing yourself will make the result a lot better in my opinion

Shamphoo, In a raid setting a monk should never be the sole responsible tank healer. Too much potential to go OOM to save spike damage if it happens.

If you are leveling (as it seems from your second post) then if you feel you like you need to do some single target healing this is what you do:

• Renewing mists the target and keep on CD
  • Soothing mists channel the target
  • Enveloping Mists
  • keep channeling Soothing mists and enveloping mists
  • Life Cocoon for a CD.
  • if the target is taking large spike damage and they are need to be healed to full quickly, While soothing mists is channeling use spam surging mists until healed to full. Try to add Enveloping mists before you do this.
Not really much esle to a monks single target rotation.

Guest Neffy

Hey

I have leveling Mistweaver monk, and I'm so troubled of what talents are the best for healing. Posted Image

I would like to ask some help in that case.

For leveling in dungeons I would say take these:

Chi Wave

Ascension OR Chi Brew. --Either is fine, if you like to use Jab a lot Power Strikes is a good option as well.

Leg Sweep --Awesome for stunning big AoE pulls.

Dampen Harm --Most dungeons aren't really magic heavy when it comes to healers dieing. Though if you find a magic thing to mitigate, use Diffuse Magic.

Xuen --For most dungeons, he does good AoE damage and healing through Eminence.

That is just a "cookie cutter" spec that works ok for almost all situations. You can (and SHOULD) change them around depending on what you are doing.

Guest Neffy

For leveling in dungeons I would say take these:

Chi Wave

Ascension OR Chi Brew. --Either is fine, if you like to use Jab a lot Power Strikes is a good option as well.

Leg Sweep --Awesome for stunning big AoE pulls.

Dampen Harm --Most dungeons aren't really magic heavy when it comes to healers dieing. Though if you find a magic thing to mitigate, use Diffuse Magic.

Xuen --For most dungeons, he does good AoE damage and healing through Eminence.

That is just a "cookie cutter" spec that works ok for almost all situations. You can (and SHOULD) change them around depending on what you are doing.

Alright, thank you. That was great help to me. Posted Image

I think for 5.2, Once you get your T15 2pc bouns, that the next haste breakpoint for ReM should be met, which would be 6141 haste rating (or 27.76%)

Guest Dinglenuts

Please fix the monk MW haste requirement, someone transposed the 3145 and it should be 1345 and then fix the dranei value as well. It will screw up many people

Please fix the monk MW haste requirement, someone transposed the 3145 and it should be 1345 and then fix the dranei value as well. It will screw up many people

You are wrong.

If you read the rest of the thread it states that the current correct value is 3145. The next value is 6141 at around 500~ ilvl.

1345 WAS the pre-5.1 haste value, but then we got a buff to our haste in 5.1

Also, what do you mean about the Dreani value? for hit? Hit does not matter for a MW..

Guest Khaelan

Are those haste values correct? cause i have nowhere near 16% at that low haste?

Are those haste values correct? cause i have nowhere near 16% at that low haste?

Do you have the 5% haste raid buff? and in serpent stance? If you have 3145 haste OUTSIDE of serpent stance then you will be fine.

The breakpoint after that is 6141

Do you have the 5% haste raid buff? and in serpent stance? If you have 3145 haste OUTSIDE of serpent stance then you will be fine.

The breakpoint after that is 6141

And the breakpoint after 6141 is 9146 for those of us with high itemlevel

Guest Jacob Hauch

Been playing on my monk for the whole expansion so far and really enjoying it. I do however have to disagree with some of the things written here.

If you're low on mana, the one thing you shouldn't do is jab jab uplift. jabs cost a freaking ton of mana now (and it will actually be cheaper to just glyph uplift and cast it for its 15% mana cost.)

Imo the ascension talent is awesome, it allows me to collect alot of chi for a burst healing phase (quake stomp for Tortos) and it increases my manapool (exponentially because im a gnome) and has a good synergi with mana tea.

Having 5 chi makes it possible to uplift thrice in an AoE phase (uplift uplift expelharm uplift)

Have not found a solid use for rushing jade wind since windlord, personally i prefer Xuen because of the low micro management that goes into it. The toggle walk then chi torpedo was a very usefull tip! Deffo going to be experiencing with it.

When picking a weapon, have their weapon damage in mind (i went from lfr healing scepter from empress to a thunderforged weapon from council of elders. Effectively doubling my dps)

Using this rotation for dps i push 110k dps on certain fights (more than my current windwalker spec lol...) Jab, tigerpalm, jab, tigerpalm and a chi wave thrown in on cooldown.

Hope this info was usefull to someone!

Been playing on my monk for the whole expansion so far and really enjoying it. I do however have to disagree with some of the things written here.

If you're low on mana, the one thing you shouldn't do is jab jab uplift. jabs cost a freaking ton of mana now (and it will actually be cheaper to just glyph uplift and cast it for its 15% mana cost.)

Glyph of Uplift is never worth it unless there is some gimmick to the fight where you gain mana back very fast at regular intervals

The jab change was with 5.2, and im not sure if they updated the guide.

Imo the ascension talent is awesome, it allows me to collect alot of chi for a burst healing phase (quake stomp for Tortos) and it increases my manapool (exponentially because im a gnome) and has a good synergi with mana tea.

Having 5 chi makes it possible to uplift thrice in an AoE phase (uplift uplift expelharm uplift)

Chi Brew is better then ascension for burst aoe healing because it lets you uplift more.. When you have 4 chi pooled up, you can uplift->uplift->chibrew->uplift->uplift->ReM->EH->uplift. Essentially getting 5 uplifts. Ascension is only good for mana management, but if you properly use mana tea by constantly gaining and using chi then you will be fine. Shi brew helps in this regard because when you do this burst sequence you gain about 2-3 (or more depending on crit chance) of stacks of Mana Tea on top of the rest that you are gaining. I am around 10-9k spirit now (11k~ with spirit flask) and am doing perfectly fine. I'm thinking about dropping the spirit flask for an int one.

Have not found a solid use for rushing jade wind since windlord, personally i prefer Xuen because of the low micro management that goes into it. The toggle walk then chi torpedo was a very usefull tip! Deffo going to be experiencing with it.

RJW can be used on Tortos if you are healing melee and puts some DPS onto the bats. You can also use it on Magera during Rampages when everyone is stacked up and lastly you can use it on Durumu during the maze phase when most of your group is stacked running together. Xuen is a good healing CD, but its usefulness only increases with damage amplifying mechanics or AoE.

When picking a weapon, have their weapon damage in mind (i went from lfr healing scepter from empress to a thunderforged weapon from council of elders. Effectively doubling my dps)

This fist weapon is not ideal whatsoever for monks because it has mastery on it, which is a very weak stat. The sword off the first boss or the staff off Ji-Kun would be better. Weapon damage does help with healing, but it is only a very small part in your total healing. Itemization will help your throughput more.

Using this rotation for dps i push 110k dps on certain fights (more than my current windwalker spec lol...) Jab, tigerpalm, jab, tigerpalm and a chi wave thrown in on cooldown.

Hope this info was usefull to someone!

Can you please show logs of you doing this? I find it very hard to believe that you actully did this on a single target. I can pull upwards of 120k on AoE trash pulls with SCK, Rem on CD, EH on CD, and using BoK as a filler.

Doing that on a single target is just not possible for a mistweaver, otherwise we would see top end guilds stacking all mistweavers.

Guest evildrogan115

i like the guide but i do not like the stat weights and do think they are off.

haste past 1345 is not better then mastery or crit.

you say more mastery lowers the cast time of our heals. but then again which heal do we cast ? surging mist and enveloping are instant when channeling soothing and renewing mist is also instant same goes for healing sphere and expel harm and basically everything we have can be instant except for chi burst. so to say haste is better then mastery and crit past 1345 is just no true. you won't make 1 extra tick at the current gear levels past 1345 so after 1345 haste is out least preffered stat.

after 1345 it is a toss up between mastery and crit. mastery in theory can be very good if the raiders pick up the orbs. so in 25 man with more people moving around it can be really good but for me in 10 man it is not as good. so crit will be better although being rng it still provides better throughput then mastery and haste for me.

with the change to the healing spheres dissapearing sooner and healing a nearby target for half of the heal when it is not used and dissapears mastery will become a hell of a lot better for both 10 and 25 man raiding. so then it will be spirit (till you are comfortable)-haste(1345)-Intellect-Mastery-Crit-Haste(past 1345) atleast in my opinion

this is correct that those heals are instant. but ure not looking at the general picture your haste also controlls the ammount and speed of ticks on your hots therefor more hase on a MW is a priority as to get faster heals with soothing mist and if exceeding certain points on ure haste you can gain additional ticks on enveloping mist and renewing mist thank you have a nice day Posted Image

And the breakpoint after 6141 is 9146 for those of us with high itemlevel

How many ticks am I suppose to get with this? I counted 7 but I don't think I had 5% haste

edit: i counted 13 with 5% haste, and 11 without.

Guest Sinlu

chi torpedo seems to propel you the same distance now whether you walk or run now.

Guest pye

It's worth noting that in it's current form, Zen Sphere is unaffected by haste, and will never give you more than 7+1 tics.

ability_monk_healthsphere.jpgGlyph of Enduring Healing Sphere is a Healing Gain in 25 man, since it affects our mastery orbs. I've found it useful when dropping glyphs like Mana Tea or Renewing Mists.

Dropping Glyph of Mana Tea once you have your meta gem can also have beneficial impact for Throne of Thunder, since there is a lot of down time on most fights to sit and drink.

Guest Jjjon

While casting Renewing Mist on CD, I usually use the one chi for Thunder Focus, then wait for my first Renewing mist to almost expire before popping Chi Brew (if i haven't generated 2 chi in the meantime) and then Uplift, easily getting 10+ Renewing Mists out. I also found an alternate use for Tiger's Lust to dispel certain Magic/Poison effects w/ movement reduction on players instead of Detox.

Guest MyMonk

I feel the logic to undermine the potential of 'Healing Elixirs' .. to be fairly silly. Given the post states 'you will have to delay using an important ability just to benefit more from the healing.' The thing is even if you 'have' to wait its only a matter of a few seconds (If at ALL. Rarely encounter a wait.) between brew or tea. Sometimes there is no noticeable gap between the ability and the passive. I would hope when adding things here. Rather then being pointlessly selective. It would be factual. And therefore I request that that section being amended. Sure you may prefer the other 2. Though there is really no delay between brew/tea and the heal. Or having really to wait to use it.

Additionally 'Healing Elixirs' from a PvE MW perspective. Has more chances of applicability than the other 2. The other 2 are on a 1.5 min CD. 'Healing Elixirs' is on a 18 seconds CD. This gives a PvE MW more time to worry on healing others. Less worry on healing themselves.

Guest Ahealer

Vuhdo also deserves a mention here. Given that it actually runs a lot lighter than grid and less problematic. As I have noticed grid users having during raids. As well as my self. Vuhdo is more stable and reliable. It also can do more than grid. It can also be customized to act like grid, if people like the grid look. The only reason to use grid anymore is if you don't use or know, or fear to change from grid. Though Vuhdo is a far better replacement.

Okay so I've read 4 different numbers for the 3rd haste breakpoint...

9146 9148 9151 and 9158 - can anyone confirm exactly which one is correct? I can only get my gear dialed in close enough to tell its between 9141 and 9163 which all those numbers are between.

Also - SoO is fun but seems like I'm standing around fistweaving more is anyone else doing this?

Guest Farore

This guide needs to be separated. Just like how the Fury Warriors have an advanced rotation page, this particular specialization needs one as well. The way you advise healing is fine and all, but you won't achieve anywhere near the maximum amount of healing the class can do.

Eminence is your main heal, it's not just some fancy thing to tag onto your normal healing, it is over 45-50% of your healing, followed by Renewing Mists and Chi Torpedo. Monks aren't really the best tank healers, they keep everyone in the raid topped off. Soothing Mist is only used when you need to spam Surging Mist on someone, or if you can't deal damage to anything. In the last patch, my Monk was ~502, pulling 100k+ DPS, and 80k+ HPS - with over 50% of my healing coming from Eminence (plus the statue, I just lump them together).

I'd be happy to help you make a guide for those who want to get the most potential out of their class, but not many favor it, because it's very difficult to use and not run out of mana. There are tricks to it though! smile.png

Sign in to follow this